PDA

View Full Version : Anthony Stokes

essexhibee
18-02-2010, 08:25 PM
Only one positive from last nights disgusting result has to be a suberbly taking goal from Stokes. What a player we have in the young irishman, that was his 16th goal of the season yesterday, 15 in the league, now the spl second top scorer. Some of his goals have been sublime, we all know that stunner at Ibrox. He must be very frustrated at the moment, with the limited service he is getting, for if given the chance he will take it. Good to see how far he has come since joining, he has lost the weight and turned into a real player. His touch could do with improving, although last nights control suggessted otherwise.

Lets look on the bright side though, in Anthony Stokes we have some , some player!!

truehibernian
18-02-2010, 08:42 PM
Fantastic control to take the ball down and round the keeper, also showing strength. Desperately needs a strike partner, playing a lot closer to him. Imagine him and Fletcher together.........now that would be a partnership.

skipster7
18-02-2010, 08:52 PM
Only one positive from last nights disgusting result has to be a suberbly taking goal from Stokes. What a player we have in the young irishman, that was his 16th goal of the season yesterday, 15 in the league, now the spl second top scorer. Some of his goals have been sublime, we all know that stunner at Ibrox. He must be very frustrated at the moment, with the limited service he is getting, for if given the chance he will take it. Good to see how far he has come since joining, he has lost the weight and turned into a real player. His touch could do with improving, although last nights control suggessted otherwise.

Such a shame Derek Riordan couldnt take a leaf out of his book. Too lazy and needs to stop thinking he is bigger than the jersey and move his arse. However I suppose being out of place may not help, its not his natural position and upfront would mean more goals (and complementing stokesy) however that is no excuse for not trying his heart out like he is paid for :grr:. Lets look on the bright side though, in Anthony Stokes we have some , some player!!
started of a good post but why compare someone playing in midfield to a striker ? for the record how do you think stokes would get on if we put him right midfield for a few games ? fwiw deeks has been tackling etc in the left back position the last game i was at(aberdeen).
do agree about stokes though, some player, just needs deeks beside him imo:thumbsup:

Alex Trager
18-02-2010, 08:53 PM
Fantastic control to take the ball down and round the keeper, also showing strength. Desperately needs a strike partner, playing a lot closer to him. Imagine him and Fletcher together.........now that would be a partnership.
Fletcher is not anywhere near as much of threat and goalscorer as stokes the season talleys show that

The Harp Awakes
18-02-2010, 08:58 PM

Totally agree. As someone posted last night, Stokes' goals have been achieved from scraps so far. If we can get better service to him I think he could easily be a 25-30 goal per season striker.

Also a much better footballer than I thought he was before he joined us.

silverhibee
18-02-2010, 08:58 PM

Such a shame Derek Riordan couldnt take a leaf out of his book. Too lazy and needs to stop thinking he is bigger than the jersey and move his arse. However I suppose being out of place may not help, its not his natural position and upfront would mean more goals (and complementing stokesy) however that is no excuse for not trying his heart out like he is paid for :grr:. Lets look on the bright side though, in Anthony Stokes we have some , some player!!

How do you think Stokes season would have went if he as a goal scorer had to play left midfield for the most of it, i remember Stokes playing that position against the yams at the PBS earlier in the season and didn't have the best of games that day, the other wee problem Hibs have is that not alot of our play goes down the left side, alot of hoofball going on just now, infact if it were not for Ian Murray, Riordan would'nt see any of the ball at all, i dont think Riordan hide,s during games, more that he just doesn't get enough of the ball. imo of course.

truehibernian
18-02-2010, 09:02 PM
Sean, Fletcher was one of the most talented all round strikers we have produced and one of Burnley's players of the season. His link up play, touch, pace and workrate would be ideal to play off a predator type striker like Stokes. Jeez he plays in the EPL with a lower ranked team bud........he scored some crackers up here for Hibs.

essexhibee
18-02-2010, 09:05 PM
started of a good post but why compare someone playing in midfield to a striker ? for the record how do you think stokes would get on if we put him right midfield for a few games ? fwiw deeks has been tackling etc in the left back position the last game i was at(aberdeen).
do agree about stokes though, some player, just needs deeks beside him imo:thumbsup:

Fair enough - i suppose you are right in i shouldnt reallu compare. You are right also in saying how if he player along stokes then there would be some magic. I suppose i go with a lot of people in saying WHY CANT YOGI SEE THAT :grr:

Deeks/ benji upfront with stokes and give the Gala magician a shot in the left midfield slot?

Alex Trager
18-02-2010, 09:10 PM
Sean, Fletcher was one of the most talented all round strikers we have produced and one of Burnley's players of the season. His link up play, touch, pace and workrate would be ideal to play off a predator type striker like Stokes. Jeez he plays in the EPL with a lower ranked team bud........he scored some crackers up here for Hibs.

Dont get me wrong i'm not taking the goals and his effort away fro him , i just think hewas not so much a striker maybe a midfielder, he had a poor touch with his right - so much so he wouldn't touch a ball with his right- he often fell over clumsily, but his commitment was spot on

essexhibee
18-02-2010, 09:10 PM
How do you think Stokes season would have went if he as a goal scorer had to play left midfield for the most of it, i remember Stokes playing that position against the yams at the PBS earlier in the season and didn't have the best of games that day, the other wee problem Hibs have is that not alot of our play goes down the left side, alot of hoofball going on just now, infact if it were not for Ian Murray, Riordan would'nt see any of the ball at all, i dont think Riordan hide,s during games, more that he just doesn't get enough of the ball. imo of course.

I have edited the post my man, i see now that it was bad to try and moan at someone playing out of position, your point is valid about scoring goals. I do think however that even if deeks was playing centre back, that doesnt stop him from working as hard as his body will let him and playing for the jersey, or maybe i am being to harsh? :confused:

Surely deeks/ benji upfront with stokesy in a 4-4-2 would be best? And stick the Gala magician in at LM?

Danderhall Hibs
18-02-2010, 09:15 PM

Agreed about the Riordan stuff - I've said it a few times today. The ball's either played up the right-hand side or launched down the middle.

As for Stokes he's been a tremendous signing - he chases lost causes and scores loads of goals. What else do we want? Mind you it's only about 3 or 4months since he was written off as well.

truehibernian
18-02-2010, 09:18 PM
The great Eddie Turnbull agrees with most folk that Derek Riordan is a striker and a striker alone. I am sure however that ET would still fire his foot up Deek's behind these last few games and remind him of working for the team. 100% agree that Galbraith deserves more game time. Have a wee sneaky that Yogi might bring back McCormack for Well game, pushing DW into midfield and will no doubt concede that Riordan is best played up top.

Westie1875
18-02-2010, 09:21 PM

Agree with everything you say, there is absolutely no point playing Riordan and not giving him the ball (to feet). Why Yogi is against 442 so much I've no idea, but it really is about time our two 20 goal a season players were given a chance to play upfront together and see what they can do.

essexhibee
18-02-2010, 09:24 PM
Agree with everything you say, there is absolutely no point playing Riordan and not giving him the ball (to feet). Why Yogi is against 442 so much I've no idea, but it really is about time our two 20 goal a season players were given a chance to play upfront together and see what they can do.

I have edited my initial rather harsh post re. deeks now, and would agree with what you say. Please yogi , 4-4-2! :grr:

The Harp Awakes
18-02-2010, 09:24 PM

Spot on mate.

blackhibee
18-02-2010, 10:28 PM
The great Eddie Turnbull agrees with most folk that Derek Riordan is a striker and a striker alone. I am sure however that ET would still fire his foot up Deek's behind these last few games and remind him of working for the team. 100% agree that Galbraith deserves more game time. Have a wee sneaky that Yogi might bring back McCormack for Well game, pushing DW into midfield and will no doubt concede that Riordan is best played up top.

I would suggest that before he went to Celtic Riordan was just as effective on the left as he was as a striker, if not more so, but I do agree that nowadays he seems to be more effective purely as a striker. In my opinion he has been covering back a lot more than in his earlier days, usually because he has been playing on the left. If we change his role, which might well be the right way to go, then presumably somebody else is going to have to take on the role of covering down the left side, unless of course Yogi decides to change the formation of the team to accomodate Riordan being purely a striker.

blackpoolhibs
18-02-2010, 10:40 PM
As much as i like Riordan, i can see he's not good enough to start as a left winger. It weakens us on that side of the pitch. Yes he's scored a few from that position, but most of the time he's playing far too deep to influence the game. He has to play up top or not at all in my opinion.

As for Stokes, a great player and doing so well on his own, i think he'd do even better with a partner.

500miles
18-02-2010, 10:55 PM
As much as i like Riordan, i can see he's not good enough to start as a left winger. It weakens us on that side of the pitch. Yes he's scored a few from that position, but most of the time he's playing far too deep to influence the game. He has to play up top or not at all in my opinion.

As for Stokes, a great player and doing so well on his own, i think he'd do even better with a partner.

Honest question here BH, what makes you think he'll do better with a partner? I'm assuming you're hinting at Riordan playing next to him. It may work, it may work for a couple of weeks, it may not work at all. For me, Riordan doesn't have the stregnth, the pace or the grit to compete in a congested central area, to give Stokesy the necassary support. The reason he gets played in an advanced left sided position is so that he can take advantage of space between the fullback, the winger, and the central defender, and use that left foot to whip in crosses, or cut in with his right.

He was fairly successful in this for a period prior to Christmas, when even I, one of his more vocal critics, had to hand it to him - he was putting in the work, dominating his area, creating chances, and scoring, although not as prolifically. Then he changed - looking, once again, sluggish and basically huffy. I know he can play that role. John Hughes knows he can play that role. Gordon Strachan knew he could. So did TM and Mixu. He just doesn't want to. It's the sort of attitude you see the cocky youngsters at youth level take, when they are told that they aren't playing striker.

A wee comparison here that seems appropriate - Ian Murray and Colin Nish, both are Hibs fans, that became Hibs players, that want to play for Hibs, and see the success of the team as paramount. Riordan seems to be a Hibs fan, that became a Hibs player, that see's his goalscoring record as paramount.

I'm relying on reading other, older posters here, and those in the pub and at the game, but if Derek Riordan didn't kiss the badge and throw his "Hibbyness" all over the papers, he would get the Joe Harper comparisons.

truehibernian
18-02-2010, 10:55 PM
John Rankin is a natural left sided midfielder if you are playing a workmanlike 4-4-2. Galbraith offers the more attacking version on 4-4-2, with pace and delivery (from his early showings), however he is raw and young and may need game time to develop into the side. If the boss can do that with DW, can't see what there is to lose putting young Galbraith in for a game or two and pushing Riordan or Benji up front with Stokes. I would also be very tempted to try DW at centre mid, driving forward in a Scott Brown type mould. This could mean the option of Zemmama on the right (if we could afford the luxury). I watched DW in a Scotland youth game in that role and he was superb. Different level at SPL right enough. Just a thought.

blackpoolhibs
18-02-2010, 11:05 PM
Honest question here BH, what makes you think he'll do better with a partner? I'm assuming you're hinting at Riordan playing next to him. It may work, it may work for a couple of weeks, it may not work at all. For me, Riordan doesn't have the stregnth, the pace or the grit to compete in a congested central area, to give Stokesy the necassary support. The reason he gets played in an advanced left sided position is so that he can take advantage of space between the fullback, the winger, and the central defender, and use that left foot to whip in crosses, or cut in with his right.

He was fairly successful in this for a period prior to Christmas, when even I, one of his more vocal critics, had to hand it to him - he was putting in the work, dominating his area, creating chances, and scoring, although not as prolifically. Then he changed - looking, once again, sluggish and basically huffy. I know he can play that role. John Hughes knows he can play that role. Gordon Strachan knew he could. So did TM and Mixu. He just doesn't want to. It's the sort of attitude you see the cocky youngsters at youth level take, when they are told that they aren't playing striker.

A wee comparison here that seems appropriate Ian Murray and Colin Nish, are Hibs fans, that became Hibs players, that want to play for Hibs, and see the success of the team as paramount. Riordan seems to be a Hibs fan, that became a Hibs player, that see's his goalscoring record as paramount.

I'm relying on reading other, older posters here, and those in the pub and at the game, but if Derek Riordan didn't kiss the badge and throw his "Hibbyness" all over the papers, he would get the Joe Harper comparisons.

I dont know if it would work, i hope it would. What i do know is its not working for him as a left winger. I think he's too deep, and Stokes is too isolated most of the time. You make the point Riordan is not strong enough, for me he needs to play further up, just behind Stokes finding the space between the midfield and the back 4. He can score goals, there is no doubt of that, he's still 2nd top goalscorer from wide. We wont know if he will score more if he's released further forward, but again imho its not really working now. What have we to lose?

Alex Trager
18-02-2010, 11:07 PM
I dont know if it would work, i hope it would. What i do know is its not working for him as a left winger. I think he's too deep, and Stokes is too isolated most of the time. You make the point Riordan is not strong enough, for me he needs to play further up, just behind Stokes finding the space between the midfield and the back 4. He can score goals, there is no doubt of that, he's still 2nd top goalscorer from wide. We wont know if he will score more if he's released further forward, but again imho its not really working now. What have we to lose?
you need to think about this again, i understand what you mean but you do need to re-think that
Oh an btw we have alot to loose i.e. scottish cup semi place, europa league place/ champions league place

blackpoolhibs
18-02-2010, 11:13 PM
you need to think about this again, i understand what you mean but you do need to re-think that
Oh an btw we have alot to loose i.e. scottish cup semi place, europa league place/ champions league place

Not really, if we go with that system, Riordan's the obvious 1st choice because of his scoring record. If he does not cut the mustard, then try gow/nish/whoever. Because as far as I'm concerned, stokes needs someone to play off.

Nice edit, there was no need though, i know we could lose all those things, but you did say you knew what i meant.

500miles
18-02-2010, 11:26 PM

The way to counter Riordan then would be fairly simple - play a high line and/or a sitting midfielder. He wouldn't get as much space, and therefore, his goal scoring oppertunities would be limited.

We've got a fair bit to lose IMO. 3rd place isn't totally secure, but then again, Celtic are incredibly inconsistant, so I refuse to give up on second.

His scoring record is good, but it isn't as good as it was. But back then, he was very very thin, and had that extra yard, half yard of pace that got him in behind defenders.

blackpoolhibs
18-02-2010, 11:32 PM
The way to counter Riordan then would be fairly simple - play a high line and/or a sitting midfielder. He wouldn't get as much space, and therefore, his goal scoring oppertunities would be limited.

We've got a fair bit to lose IMO. 3rd place isn't totally secure, but then again, Celtic are incredibly inconsistant, so I refuse to give up on second.

Yip i agree, although if they play a high line, you have the opportunity to pop the ball over them for stokes to chase, he's shown he's good at that, or a wide player with pace, (not riordan) :wink:. And if they play a sitting midfielder, we then have someone who's not marked unless they play 5 in there.

truehibernian
18-02-2010, 11:42 PM
Good points BH however these last few games, it seems Derek, Nish and Stokes cannot master the offside trap. McInnes got all his tactics right this season against us. Push up as far as you can manage, pushing Stokes and Co back onto their own half.........then counter it with a midfield more superior in number, and also target the weak full back area. the mix of passing football, and horrible hoofball, was actually very intelligent football and clearly worked on through the week. Saints are/were good to watch. Hibs cannot handle teams that press us back and force us to play literally from our own box. How often last night was Bamba, Hanlon and Murray forced into making a hasty clearance when Saints had condensed the play in our own half. Riordan and Zemmama always cut inside, which meant no width and no stretching their back line.

500miles
18-02-2010, 11:52 PM
Yip i agree, although if they play a high line, you have the opportunity to pop the ball over them for stokes to chase, he's shown he's good at that, or a wide player with pace, (not riordan) :wink:. And if they play a sitting midfielder, we then have someone who's not marked unless they play 5 in there.

4-5-1 has been pretty popular in the past against us. Certainly the sitting midfielder is something that is popular throghout the SPL these days.

I still think that Nish is the best option in behind Stokes - in fact, IMO, that's when he looks least isolated. Guys like Gow, Benji and Zemmama can also feed of him, and he takes a lot of pressure off the midfield.

majorhibs
19-02-2010, 12:11 AM

Lets look on the bright side though, in Anthony Stokes we have some , some player!!

Not goin thru everyone elses deals but what you say mate, watchhing him some weeks with donkeys feeding, but Hibs have a player who plays for the club and could also be something very special. We like Deek, but hey Deek, mr Stokes is not only scorin more but he is goin to get his place in the next EIRE squad with that form, as said at the start o the season Europe was the one an only goal