PDA

View Full Version : NHC Pompey asking to be allowed to sell players

erskine-hibby
18-02-2010, 03:27 PM
Outwith the transfer window to stave off administration...ooh err!!

blackpoolhibs
18-02-2010, 03:59 PM
Who is allowed to buy them?:confused:

erskine-hibby
18-02-2010, 04:03 PM

Everyone i suspect if this proposal is allowed to go ahead.
This could/would change the whole transfer window thing though and open a whole new:worms:

blackpoolhibs
18-02-2010, 04:05 PM
Everyone i suspect if this proposal is allowed to go ahead.
This could/would change the whole transfer window thing though and open a whole new:worms:

:agree: Thats a change eh? :greengrin

brydekirk
18-02-2010, 04:08 PM
may be team s will be willing to part with some cash now and get the players at the end of season.

Jamesie
18-02-2010, 07:48 PM
may be team s will be willing to part with some cash now and get the players at the end of season.

And when does the risk transfer then? e.g. if the player breaks his leg and ends his career between now and then?

Gus
18-02-2010, 07:50 PM
transfer windows are a stupid idea anyway, should be scrapped

Hibee_Rab
18-02-2010, 09:52 PM
transfer windows are a stupid idea anyway, should be scrapped

Totally disagree, I think there should be just one summer one, clubs have to play with the teams they have and can't just buy other teams good players part way through the season. Fairer that way.

Woody1985
18-02-2010, 10:43 PM
may be teams will be willing to part with some cash now and get the players at the end of season.

Maybe but I wouldn't be parting with a couple of million quid for the player to get injured by the end of the season and your money is gone into a blackhole.

I know Man U have just done it with Fulham and it happens often but I'm sure there will be clauses in there somewhere.

I don't think it would be financially viable for Portsmouth to do that but then again, I'm no expert! lol

Speedy
18-02-2010, 10:55 PM

They can do that now anyway.

Bookkeeper
18-02-2010, 11:54 PM
Totally disagree, I think there should be just one summer one, clubs have to play with the teams they have and can't just buy other teams good players part way through the season. Fairer that way.

:thumbsup::agree:

NaeTechnoHibby
19-02-2010, 01:20 AM

Me too :thumbsup:

Makes yer choices and you can get oan with it :agree:

I like that we have to make do, till the windae, and I think most Scottish teams have been better for that :agree:

We're slowly closing that gap :agree:

weonlywon6-2
19-02-2010, 06:54 AM
Outwith the transfer window to stave off administration...ooh err!!

have a feeling they will get knocked back. everyone knows the rules and you must go with that.
bad management/ownership of a company shouldnt get you reprieve.

sounds like bye bye portsmouth,and if that happens it could start a knock on effect of clubs folding.

KerPlunk
19-02-2010, 09:03 AM
Why should these *******s get a special dispensation just because a series of financially incompetent owners blew it big time ?

Live by the sword etc.

The EPL and FA need to get this one right because I reckon other clubs could find themselves in a similar predicament in coming months.

Today's latest from Pompey - 5 owners in one season ???? Surely tae **** the highheidyins can see that they are having the pish ripped right oot ???????

:confused: :confused: :confused:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2010/feb/19/portsmouth-ownership-victor-cattermole

mim
19-02-2010, 09:49 AM
AFAIK there is no restriction on selling players at any time.

The restriction is on buying players, which you can only do during the window.

This is why we lost Garry O after our transfer window was closed, but the Russian window was still open.

Any dispensation would surely therefore not be to Portsmouth - it would be to the buying club, if their window was closed.

Cocaine&Caviar
19-02-2010, 09:53 AM
Who have they even got left to sell?

They have an extremely ageing squad, a large amount of loan signings, and no decent youngster that would command a fee...

Belhadj?
Utaka?
Diop?
Boateng?
Ben Haim?

Hardly top notch, and in their situation they would probably only fetch about £5-8m.

Caversham Green
19-02-2010, 10:04 AM
Suppose West Ham (for example) bought a couple of Pompey's players at knock-down prices and stayed up by the skin of their teeth at the expense of Burnley. How would Burnley fans feel? How would we feel if part of Fletcher's transfer fee is contingent on Burnley staying up? How would Sheffield United fans feel given the Tevez affair of a couple of seasons ago?

Surely it shouldn't be allowed as it gives an unfair advantage to the buying team as well as to Portsmouth.

Caversham Green
19-02-2010, 10:11 AM
Why should these *******s get a special dispensation just because a series of financially incompetent owners blew it big time ?

Live by the sword etc.

The EPL and FA need to get this one right because I reckon other clubs could find themselves in a similar predicament in coming months.

Today's latest from Pompey - 5 owners in one season ???? Surely tae **** the highheidyins can see that they are having the pish ripped right oot ???????

:confused: :confused: :confused:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2010/feb/19/portsmouth-ownership-victor-cattermole (http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2010/feb/19/portsmouth-ownership-victor-cattermole)

I see from that that Portsmouth are disputing £7m of the amount due to the Revenue. If they pay the undisputed part, I doubt if the WUP could be upheld unless a court has already ruled on the £7m (in which case it's not strictly disputed any more).

I would guess this arises from the investigations that have seen Storrie and Redknapp in court recently.

Andy74
19-02-2010, 11:38 AM
Suppose West Ham (for example) bought a couple of Pompey's players at knock-down prices and stayed up by the skin of their teeth at the expense of Burnley. How would Burnley fans feel? How would we feel if part of Fletcher's transfer fee is contingent on Burnley staying up? How would Sheffield United fans feel given the Tevez affair of a couple of seasons ago?

Surely it shouldn't be allowed as it gives an unfair advantage to the buying team as well as to Portsmouth.

I presume West Ham would not be allowed to registe them though.

As a poster above said I don't get this, they can sell when they like surely? Is it that they are asking for the buyers to be allowed to register the players to play, thereby making a sale more likely?

Gus
19-02-2010, 11:47 AM
Who have they even got left to sell?

They have an extremely ageing squad, a large amount of loan signings, and no decent youngster that would command a fee...

Belhadj? - Im sure they are due a club money for this guy??
Utaka?
Diop?
Boateng? - cannae play for another team this season due to fifa's 3 club rule
Ben Haim?

Hardly top notch, and in their situation they would probably only fetch about £5-8m.

I agree with the summer transfer window, i meant to say i didnt agree with the January one

Franck is God
19-02-2010, 12:03 PM
it'll be knocked back.

FIFA cannot be seen to be bailing out a team that has been so badly run financially. They'll have to go into administration and be relegated to the Championship.

If they fall down the leagues I wonder if their fans will feel differently about their FA cup win, at the time they were happy that they were forking out millions they clearly couldn't afford for players, how do they feel now?

Will we be saying the same about the Hearts fans i the next couple of years?

Caversham Green
19-02-2010, 02:04 PM
I presume West Ham would not be allowed to registe them though.

As a poster above said I don't get this, they can sell when they like surely? Is it that they are asking for the buyers to be allowed to register the players to play, thereby making a sale more likely?

Well yes, I'm assuming they mean they want the buying team to be allowed to register the players, otherwise it doesn't make sense. As I understand the current position the sale could be made at any time but the buying club would not be able to field the player until the next transfer window. I can't see any sensible club paying a significant amount of money for a player if they can't put him in their team though.

Caversham Green
19-02-2010, 02:10 PM
it'll be knocked back.

FIFA cannot be seen to be bailing out a team that has been so badly run financially. They'll have to go into administration and be relegated to the Championship.

If they fall down the leagues I wonder if their fans will feel differently about their FA cup win, at the time they were happy that they were forking out millions they clearly couldn't afford for players, how do they feel now?

Will we be saying the same about the Hearts fans i the next couple of years?

As things stand though, administration is not an option - Portsmouth will actually go out of business and eventually cease to exist. That may change in the coming fortnight, but the Revenue seem to be standing firm on it at the moment.

One point about administration that tends to get overlooked is that the administrator's fees have to be paid. They don't come cheap, and if there's no money in it for them they won't take the job.

Sir David Gray
19-02-2010, 03:29 PM
Too bad, I'm afraid.

They have been very badly run in recent years and they have to live with the consequences of that. I feel for their fans who are in very real danger of losing the team that they love but unfortunately that's just the way it goes.

As it happens, I don't really like the transfer window and I think clubs should be allowed to buy/sell whenever they like but the fact is the window is there and it applies to all the clubs who are subject to it throughout the world and I don't agree with certain clubs receiving special dispensation, just because they have hit hard times.

Assuming that they don't go completely out of business, they'll just have to (probably) come to terms with being in administration, accept relegation this year, consolidate themselves in the Championship and make sure it doesn't get any worse than that a la Leeds, start to cut their cloth accordingly and spend within their means so that they can perhaps be in a position where they could get back into the Premiership in a few years' time.

Rory89
19-02-2010, 03:32 PM
How would Sheffield United fans feel given the Tevez affair of a couple of seasons ago?

You'd think Sheffield United fans would learn to shut the **** up and stop making their own ineptitude to be others fault, but nah they're still the victims to this day. When one of them stubs their toes it's Tevez's fault.

Sheffield United were a totally gash team and deserved to go down, but West Ham signed Tevez when they shouldn't have and therefore they were within their right to get compensation. The league ordered West Ham to pay £30 million to Sheffield United, then Sheffield United sued them and got another payment for tens of millions. What made it worse is Wigan and Sheffield United's buddy act that resulted in them trying to help eachother on the last day and it biting SU on the arse when West Ham got a shock win at Old Trafford. Essentially what I'm saying is, get it right up them.

Sorry that had nowt to do with the subject, just expressing my dislike for Sheffield United. :wink:

Caversham Green
19-02-2010, 03:52 PM
You'd think Sheffield United fans would learn to shut the **** up and stop making their own ineptitude to be others fault, but nah they're still the victims to this day. When one of them stubs their toes it's Tevez's fault.

Sheffield United were a totally gash team and deserved to go down, but West Ham signed Tevez when they shouldn't have and therefore they were within their right to get compensation. The league ordered West Ham to pay £30 million to Sheffield United, then Sheffield United sued them and got another payment for tens of millions. What made it worse is Wigan and Sheffield United's buddy act that resulted in them trying to help eachother on the last day and it biting SU on the arse when West Ham got a shock win at Old Trafford. Essentially what I'm saying is, get it right up them.

Sorry that had nowt to do with the subject, just expressing my dislike for Sheffield United. :wink:

I thought that one might get a bite. :wink:

I was no fan of The Blunts either at that time - strangely enough I find them quite acceptable now. Can't stand Palace any more though, I wonder why that might be.

Anyway, without wishing to get into that debate again, WHU fielded an ineligible player, and it seems to me that the most appropriate punishment for that would be deduction of any points gained in games he played in. They, or any other team that signed Pompey players would arguably be doing the same thing, but a precedent has now been set.

Rory89
19-02-2010, 04:05 PM

I was no fan of The Blunts either at that time - strangely enough I find them quite acceptable now. Can't stand Palace any more though, I wonder why that might be.

Anyway, without wishing to get into that debate again, WHU fielded an ineligible player, and it seems to me that the most appropriate punishment for that would be deduction of any points gained in games he played in. They, or any other team that signed Pompey players would arguably be doing the same thing, but a precedent has now been set.

To be fair I wasn't so much biting at what you were saying as using your post as an excuse for a Sheffield United rant.

What I'll quickly say is that perhaps there should've been a points deduction, but there wasn't and West Ham have been punished twice for the one crime.

This whole thing is relevant to Wolves being fined for putting out a weak team imo as well. Sheffield United, Wigan and whoever else were in danger of being relegated admitted that they met eachother to discuss the issue and that they would support eachother should West Ham stay up. This is cheating as Sheffield United were more than happy to lose to Wigan so they both stayed up, but West Ham ruined their arrangement by beating Man U. They can get it round them.

KerPlunk
19-02-2010, 04:06 PM

Hmm..........is it because Neil "*****-*****-*****"Warnock is not sending you a Xmas card ? :cool2:

Caversham Green
19-02-2010, 04:27 PM
Hmm..........is it because Neil "*****-*****-*****"Warnock is not sending you a Xmas card ? :cool2:

Did you know Neil W*rnock is an anagram of Colin W*nker?

Sean1875
19-02-2010, 05:40 PM
the money theyll make from selling their best players wont equal the amount of money theyll lose from being relegated.

down-the-slope
19-02-2010, 06:09 PM
So they open up EPL clubs to be allowed to buy & register....but only from Pompey.

Thats got more Holes in it than a Brothel

So if its only Pompey selling then buyers could offer peanuts knowing they are desparate

The 'windows' open - what if clubs want to buy from elsewhere...its either open or shut...can't possibly be open only for one

Man U buy a defender and stop shipping goals and win league...Chelsea are just going to congratulate them are they :bitchy:

If Pompey go into Liqidation (rather than just administration) then all player contracts are bog roll and teams can sign their players on frees (now let me think...shall we agree to this and pay £5 million for Bellend....or shall we say bog off and wait till they go breasts up and have him for nowt :rolleyes:)

I could go on :nerd:...but I won't

Hibs On Tour
19-02-2010, 10:46 PM

The 'what-if' scenarios could go on for ever though - you could argue just as well that Burnley would have had the same chance to buy a couple of players from Pompey so choosing not to negates that.

Agree 100% that it just shouldn't be allowed.

Hibs On Tour
19-02-2010, 10:50 PM
ALL of this pish is because the FA made such an enormous James Hunt of the WHU/Tevez/Masc. affair. They handled it about as badly as could possibly have been done and have now set a legal precedent as to how to do it wrong which will have to be followed again. Madness.

With regards Fifa, from reading elsewhere today it seems that Pompey wouldn't go into Administration [the incoming transfer fees bailing them out] but they would get a 9-point fine for having to go through this emergency process thing.

Sounds like a convenient way to avoid administration through ropey means and smacks of the FA etc looking for ways to avoid doing what they know to be the right thing because they're afraid of damaging 'brand PL'. No concern whatsoever for what is right, proper or anything else.

Sunny1875
20-02-2010, 12:11 AM

:top marks

Sick of teams pillaging any team that can mount a challenge

Caversham Green
20-02-2010, 08:52 AM
The 'what-if' scenarios could go on for ever though - you could argue just as well that Burnley would have had the same chance to buy a couple of players from Pompey so choosing not to negates that.

Agree 100% that it just shouldn't be allowed.

That's true, but in any case the team that loses out can't then go and buy a player from another club, so the successful team will get an unfair advantage, whether it's WHU, Burnley or Chelsea.

jdships
20-02-2010, 09:09 AM

Exactly !
That was my first thought when I read the press article.
Imagine a scenario of one of the three bottom clubs being allowed to purchase a couple of Pompey players and avoiding relegation !
Like it or not "the window" , surely, has to be adhered to.

:bitchy:

cabbageandribs1875
20-02-2010, 09:13 AM
wont be happening http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/teams/p/portsmouth/8522283.stm

The Premier League has rejected struggling Portsmouth's request for permission to sell players outside the transfer window.

and quite right :agree:

KerPlunk
20-02-2010, 10:39 AM
Saturday's instalment of Pompey Goes Pop !

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2010/feb/20/portsmouth-balram-hainrai

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2010/feb/20/portsmouth-high-court

Makes Vlad look like Fagin. :devil:

weecounty hibby
20-02-2010, 12:36 PM
Clubs like them are taking the piss out of everyone at the moment. I for one hope they get closed down and then the likes of Cardiff, Palace etc all follow. Any other business would have been stuffed long before now but because its a football club they get away with murder. These clubs have spent and spent more than they could ever possibly afford and should be closed down. The sooner football is more tightly regulated the better. Clubs like Liverpool, Man Utd, Chelsea, Man City etc are no better and only get by due to rich owners, what would happen to these clubs if the owners packed up and couldn't find a buyer.
In this day and age football is an embarrasment when players are earning 150K per week and clubs are in debts running to hundreds of millions there are people losing their houses and jobs. Max wage caps and max debts need to be imposed to prevent these things happening.