PDA

View Full Version : Patrick Cregg

HIBERNIAN 1875
18-02-2010, 01:07 AM
With the midfield currently performing poorly, does anyone else think it'd be worthwhile giving Cregg a chance?, especially given the absence of McBride for the next few weeks.

Hibby 2005
18-02-2010, 01:10 AM
IMO he's no better than Stevenson or Thicot and Yogi's hinting at a new contract!

HIBERNIAN 1875
18-02-2010, 01:12 AM
IMO he's no better than Stevenson or Thicot and Yogi's hinting at a new contract!
Surely any of the above 3 are worthy of a chance given the showing tonight?

RickyS
18-02-2010, 01:28 AM
Surely any of the above 3 are worthy of a chance given the showing tonight?

I think all 3 will be thinking, if they cant get a game on the back of that performance, they never will.

HIBERNIAN 1875
18-02-2010, 01:28 AM
I think all 3 will be thinking, if they cant get a game on the back of that performance, they never will.
My thoughts exactly. :agree:

J-C
18-02-2010, 01:32 AM
I think Yogi has to look at freshening up the team as they seem to be getting a wee bit stale.

Iain G
18-02-2010, 03:22 AM
I think Yogi has to look at freshening up the team as they seem to be getting a wee bit stale.

Hopefully he is learning to be more practical about certain games, away against St Johnstone we need bodies in midfield to win and keep the ball, perhaps even big Sol in there to break things up and give us some steel, instead with the formation we played we got overrun again. This was something Mogga never got right (and still doesn't) and accept that sometimes we need to grind out a result.

Hopefully Yogi is starting to understand that, for all his and Hibs prefered football style, in some games you just can't play 4 up front!! :agree:

2 wide midfielders instead of two wide forwards may have been a better option. :confused:

Banter
18-02-2010, 03:36 AM
Quite the opposite, I reckon Hibs need a settled team.

And to answer the OP's question - Cregg. IMHO I dont rate him. At all.

MussyHibby
18-02-2010, 12:22 PM
Give the guy a go. I liked his red boots, it made him stand out. But seriously, I thought early season he had a bit of "dig" about him.

ahibby
18-02-2010, 12:27 PM
From the little of him I've seen I am not a big fan of his and we have better.

RoscoHibby
18-02-2010, 12:35 PM
I thought Cregg looked excellent early on in the season before miller was signed. Not for a minute saying drop miller, but get the guy in there, he was like a man possessed at times, winning tackles everywhere and showing a bit of commitment. Slightly bigger than the hobbits currently making up midfield aswell. But unlucky to be out of the side so long IMO.

Agree with chucking bamba in there aswell, maybe mean a change of shape, but he's solid and very rarely loses a 1st or 2nd :grr: challenge.

That was naive beyond belief last night.

ahibby
18-02-2010, 12:40 PM
Hogg and Hanlon as CBs and Bamba in midfield? I hadn't thought of that.

IWasThere2016
18-02-2010, 12:43 PM
Hogg and Hanlon as CBs and Bamba in midfield? I hadn't thought of that.

...................... Smith
Spoon ...... Hogg ....... Hanlon .......... IM

.............. Bamba .......... Miller
Zooma ....................................... Galbraith

.............. Stokes ......... Deeks

No brainer IMHO.

Just Jimmy
18-02-2010, 02:29 PM

No brainer IMHO.

I'd dump Riordan, never ever ever thought I'd say that as a Hibs fan, however, for the sake of the team I'd put in Galbraith on the left and give either Benji a run, or play your side with McBride in the middle. Leaving Stokes on his own supported by Zooma and Galbraith.

gstarbry1875
18-02-2010, 02:36 PM

No brainer IMHO.

I'm not quite sure if Galbraith has the legs/stamina to start a game yet. He got the last 20mins or so at Celtic Park and yes i know he scored the winner but he looked dead on his feet with 5 minutes to go so i am not sure how much we would get out of him if he started.

matty_f
18-02-2010, 02:43 PM

No brainer IMHO.

Not sure about that - Bamba (as excellent as he was last year) sits too deep when he plays in midfield, and so we end up with two centre halves and a slightly more advanced centre half, and all that did last season was serve to allow opponents the lion's share of possession in midfield.

matty_f
18-02-2010, 02:44 PM
I'm not quite sure if Galbraith has the legs/stamina to start a game yet. He got the last 20mins or so at Celtic Park and yes i know he scored the winner but he looked dead on his feet with 5 minutes to go so i am not sure how much we would get out of him if he started.

Galbraith's one of the fittest at the club.:agree:

erskine-hibby
18-02-2010, 02:52 PM

No brainer IMHO.

I'd go with that, stronger back line and midfield with deeks playing in a more effective position than what he is now:agree:

gstarbry1875
18-02-2010, 02:53 PM
Galbraith's one of the fittest at the club.:agree:

He didn't look it at Celtic Park, he admitted himself he was dead on his feet and he had only been on for 20mins or so! I'd loved to be proved wrong but if your one of the fittest at the club then surely you wouldn't be struggling after 20mins.

matty_f
18-02-2010, 02:57 PM
He didn't look it at Celtic Park, he admitted himself he was dead on his feet and he had only been on for 20mins or so! I'd loved to be proved wrong but if your one of the fittest at the club then surely you wouldn't be struggling after 20mins.

Yogi said it in this week's Hibs TV interview (might have been last week's, actually).

He knows better than me who the fit ones at the club are.

The Voice Of Reason
18-02-2010, 09:35 PM
Yogi said it in this week's Hibs TV interview (might have been last week's, actually).

He knows better than me who the fit ones at the club are.

:agree: Correct - Yogi has made reference to Galbraith's fitness a few times actually.

It is always difficult coming on in games, players needing time to get their "second wind" - football cliche time (Hibsbollah will love that!) :wink:

Anyway, I suspect that is why young Galbraith was "Friar Tucked" after 20 mins. Also, I was at Parkhead that night and we were chasing shadows for most of the game, but especially in the last 20 mins......their full back was bombing up the park and basically playing as a winger. Galbraith had to mark him. Not an ideal game to come on to........but a great finale of course ! :thumbsup:

Alex Trager
18-02-2010, 09:41 PM
Give the guy a go. I liked his red boots, it made him stand out. But seriously, I thought early season he had a bit of "dig" about him.
This , he put in a performance that everyone should , he gave his complete and utter all in the first game of the season and was quite clearlyfighting for the team

500miles
18-02-2010, 10:04 PM
He's a big tackler, bags of energy, but lacks the creativity and decision making. He's competing with Rankin for a place, and for me - and obviously Yogi - John is doing his job excellently most weeks. He's a target for the boo boys though, but they were made to looks somewhat foolish a few weeks ago, slagging off his passing, when someone with access to analysis software showed it to be, actually, consistantly accurate.

The Harp Awakes
18-02-2010, 10:13 PM
Cregg other than a few glimpses hasn't had a chance. Until he's had a run in the team I don't think anyone will be any the wiser as to his worth.

I'd give him a chance. Looked a decent player with Falkirk when we played them.

number 27
19-02-2010, 09:18 AM
He's a big tackler, bags of energy, but lacks the creativity and decision making. He's competing with Rankin for a place, and for me - and obviously Yogi - John is doing his job excellently most weeks. He's a target for the boo boys though, but they were made to looks somewhat foolish a few weeks ago, slagging off his passing, when someone with access to analysis software showed it to be, actually, consistantly accurate.

An accurate pass can sometimes still be a poor pass though, Rankin is often guilty of breaking up momentum by going backwards and putting his defenders under pressure.

This is not meant to be particularly anti-Rankin, It's just that I think too much reliance on stats can be misleading.