PDA

View Full Version : I feel sorry for Stokes..

Ell_Chrisso
17-02-2010, 11:50 PM
The guy is just begging for more productive service.

The amount of games this season he is running around up top by himself, tirelessly trying to do all the work. He is CRYING out for another forward up there, to compliment his work, and give him more support.

He typified himself tonight, by getting ONE chance, and putting it right in the back of the net.

I just feel this guy is getting no credit for just how well he is playing, and doing his job, compared to a few other's in the team of late.

Here's hoping we can get this sorted out sooner rather than later, because the worsed thing that can happen, is letting a quality striker like him get frustrated.

truehibernian
17-02-2010, 11:57 PM
Never ever thought I would utter these words in the same sentence, but Deuchar along with Stokes would have been superb tonight. That guy plays like his life depends on it, wins most headers, battles 50/50's. Nish........I think he came on and immediately gave away a free kick and fell on his erse. Stokes ran and ran tonight, but what hope have you got when Riordan is a spectator, Zemmama gets no outball from Hogg (as Hoggy is never an attacking right back), and we play with no pace. It all has to be through the middle it seems. Took his goal well (and thought the defender had actually headed the ball over the line at 2-0), but he needs a front man to regularly play alongside. And it aint Riordan either IMO. Would be sooooo tempted to bring back young Byrne and say "there you go son, score some goals with Stokesy"

MussyHibby
18-02-2010, 12:02 AM
The guy is just begging for more productive service.

The amount of games this season he is running around up top by himself, tirelessly trying to do all the work. He is CRYING out for another forward up there, to compliment his work, and give him more support.

He typified himself tonight, by getting ONE chance, and putting it right in the back of the net.

I just feel this guy is getting no credit for just how well he is playing, and doing his job, compared to a few other's in the team of late.

Here's hoping we can get this sorted out sooner rather than later, because the worsed thing that can happen, is letting a quality striker like him get frustrated.

Interesting viewpoint EC, and original:wink: Stokes aint my favourite player but you've got me thinking.

Ell_Chrisso
18-02-2010, 12:06 AM
Yogi needs to get back to a team that's got hunger & desire, because it has been lost with a good few players over the past few weeks.

Stokes not being one of them.

You can just tell by his body language tonight, he is getting frustrated at the stupid long high balls played up to him, and he definatly needs more regular, and better service.

Get him running one on one with defenders with the ball at his feet, or looking for killer runs behind the back 4, and he will score even more than he is!

Bishop Hibee
18-02-2010, 12:18 AM
When teams get in about our midfield, we have no pace or width, unless Wotherspoon is playing in right midfield, to get round them. Stokes is then isolated on his own. He's fed off scraps at times. We've done well up till now but we need to change shape when necessary.

Big call for Yogi for Saturday's formation.

bigstu
18-02-2010, 12:35 AM
in a way we've got too many 'good players', in other teams everything would be based around providing the service for the star man Stokes but in our team he's just another player. it has been shown if you give him the service he'll score, so all our efforts should be aimed around that, your guaranteed goals that way. Despite the lack of service he is still showing great desiree, he wants to get to evry ball & score goals. as someone has said, i hope he doesn't begin to lose the desire!
great player at this level, we need to utilise him more it's through no fault of his own that he hasn't got even more goals.

Frank Moon
18-02-2010, 01:10 AM
Agree he looks hungry but last few games the suppliy isn't there. For me if you watch his movement and overall play he is that wee bit better than class than others and propbably why he was in the EPL.

I think some people don't look at his overall play outwith the goal or chances he misses. He is always making great runs off the ball and if a rebound came off the keeper he is always ther or there abouts. In fact if you watch a few of our gaols scored this season when someone else scores he is often in the camera shot waiting to put it in too if they didn't

Hibby 2005
18-02-2010, 01:15 AM
Stokes and Smith got pass marks tonight and that's about it.
Stokes needs someboby who can cross a ball, Galbraith anyone?
Zemmama only seems to turn it on when he feels like it.

The_Horde
18-02-2010, 03:20 AM
Stokes and Smith got pass marks tonight and that's about it.
Stokes needs someboby who can cross a ball, Galbraith anyone?
Zemmama only seems to turn it on when he feels like it.

:agree:

Zemmama and Wotherspoon link up well together, which has me more baffled as to why Yogi was playing Hoggy at RB.

He openly said he put him there to combat Lafferty last week, fair enough, but where was the threat tonight?

KWJ
18-02-2010, 06:10 AM
it was probably because he didn't want to drop Hanlon or Bamba but for me both of them need the calm head of Hogg or Murray beside them.

IWasThere2016
18-02-2010, 06:48 AM
He'd a thankless task as we launched baws ala Mixu's hoofbaw! :grr:

Steve20
18-02-2010, 06:53 AM
Stokes is the only one to come out of last night with pass marks. He done his best, considering we keep playing these ridiculous high balls all the time.

Beefster
18-02-2010, 07:07 AM
We need to get back to 4-4-2 or something similar for a spell. Some bite in midfield and some support/service for Stokes and A.N.Other up front.

GraniteCityHibs
18-02-2010, 11:48 AM
Smith

Spoony - Hogg/Hanlon - Murray - Hanlon/Stevenson

Zemmama -Bamba/McBride - Miller - Gow

Stokes - Riordan

4-4-2 seems to be what's needed and I think Riordan getting a run up front might help him get that perenial chip off his shoulder!

Aubenas
18-02-2010, 12:14 PM
Agree Stokes is getting a raw deal in the way we're playing and he's clearly a good player BUT - is it only me that thinks he's very flat footed and always seems a pace slow when reacting to a situation, as in intercepting , getting a foot in, anticipating a deflection, changing direction to a misplaced pass?:dunno:

Sergy Pie
18-02-2010, 12:17 PM
He'd a thankless task as we launched baws ala Mixu's hoofbaw! :grr:

Slightly off the Stokes topic but...

I'm amazed that Hogg still to this day continually plays that long ball, cross park pass nearly everytime he is in possession. Every manager he's been under has tolerated it nad never coached it out of him. Yes there's a time for a long ball it but it does my head in as he continually plays the same ball week after week. It's a kop out in my eyes as it's played high and lofted with little pace so it holds up for a while. Which means if someone isn't directly under it, it gives time for a forward or deep mifielder time to get under it and challenge. This disguises the wasteful approach as it then looks as if someone is at least on the end of it. However, it's then up for grabs who wins the aerial challenge.

Last night showed what being in charge at a club for your first season can throw up. Yogi is still learning about his players and importantly, what he can get from them in certain conditions against certain opponents. Like any manager worth his weight in salt, he must look at the opposition and pick his side with that in mind. He might be convinced he's doing the right thing at times but you won't really know until it's tried and tested.

He has got it wrong a few times this season but we have gotten out of jail as we have strong individuals who can turn things regardless of the teams performance or because of the wrong set up in games. We've obviously struggled with key personnel out at times this season but there's only so many different team shapes, player combinations and scenarios they can work on effectively at training in a few months.

Saying that, doesn't matter what system you're playing if the players themselves don't turn up.