PDA

View Full Version : Very honest interview from Yogi after tonights shambles

Hibtastic
17-02-2010, 11:03 PM
http://www.sportinglife.com/football/scottishpremier/news/story_get.cgi?STORY_NAME=soccer/10/02/17/SOCCER_St_Johnstone_Quotes.html&TEAMHD=scotspremiership

Has he been reading Hibs.net.

Fair play to him, he has held his hands up!

Woody1985
17-02-2010, 11:06 PM
Brutally honest but I'd prefer that rather than spouting some ***** like other managers.

I didn't realise Yogi had been sent off aswell. :boo hoo:

MussyHibby
17-02-2010, 11:07 PM
http://www.sportinglife.com/football/scottishpremier/news/story_get.cgi?STORY_NAME=soccer/10/02/17/SOCCER_St_Johnstone_Quotes.html&TEAMHD=scotspremiership

Honest of him to blame himself but shouldn't professional footballers/managers be able to adapt during a game, and what about showing a bit of passion during the game?

Hibernian Verse
17-02-2010, 11:08 PM
Honest of him to blame himself but shouldn't professional footballers/managers be able to adapt during a game, and what about showing a bit of passion during the game?

:agree: Should have made a change to the back four after the 2nd goal went in.

Baldy Foghorn
17-02-2010, 11:09 PM

He could not gloss that up and gave an honest assessment, he picked the wrong side tonight

Alfred E Newman
17-02-2010, 11:10 PM
If he saw it was the wrong team , why on earth persevere with it untill it was too late? Hogg at full back is a joke as is only playing two midgets in midfield. No excuse Yogi.

Hibby 2005
17-02-2010, 11:15 PM
So the obvious question has to be - why did he pick it?

Riordans Boots
17-02-2010, 11:17 PM
Well at least Yogi is holding his hands up. Lessons learned tonight hopefully.

Sir David Gray
17-02-2010, 11:17 PM
More than anything else, I just want to see a massive reaction from the players and I want Motherwell's players to receive an almighty backlash on Saturday.

That will be better than any admission of guilt or responsibility after tonight's game.

Jamesie
17-02-2010, 11:28 PM
He can say whatever he wants after the game.

Are you telling me he only realised he had it wrong come the final whistle?

He had the chance to change it around at half time. Did he ****. The result - we started the second half with the same team and tactics that we finished the first and were made to pay for it by the hour mark.

That's the real question Yogi should be answering - why not change it earlier?

ian cruise
17-02-2010, 11:57 PM
"Coming up here I felt we could try and play it and pass it, get at them, but I shouldn't have done that. I should have come up with a different system to give us a chance to play our football. I'll look at myself and I have to learn from that."

i think this is the important part for me, theres been a number of times where ive felt yogi should have changed our tactics, sometimes we have got away with it, times, like tonight, we have not.

fir park will show us if the team have the spirit to fight to consolidate third and maybe, just maybe, bring home the scottish cup

Green4Go07
18-02-2010, 12:14 AM
Yip fair play on Yogi accepting blame regarding team selection.Will be interesting to see what team he sends out at Motherwell.Looking forward to going through and see them bounce back,as they done the last time after St Johnstone defeat.

Jamesie
18-02-2010, 12:16 AM
"Coming up here I felt we could try and play it and pass it, get at them, but I shouldn't have done that. I should have come up with a different system to give us a chance to play our football. I'll look at myself and I have to learn from that."

i think this is the important part for me, theres been a number of times where ive felt yogi should have changed our tactics, sometimes we have got away with it, times, like tonight, we have not.

fir park will show us if the team have the spirit to fight to consolidate third and maybe, just maybe, bring home the scottish cup

Change it after ten minutes. DO NOT put your head in the sand like you did tonight, ensuring that a good few thousand Hibees would endure ninety minutes of misery, time that they'll never get back.

Baldy Foghorn
18-02-2010, 12:18 AM
Change it after ten minutes. DO NOT put your head in the sand like you did tonight, ensuring that a good few thousand Hibees would endure ninety minutes of misery, time that they'll never get back.

Agree we were 2 behind and getting roasted, but hey ho, just sit back and think things will be OK......

hibee62
18-02-2010, 12:19 AM

He had the chance to change it around at half time. Did he ****. The result - we started the second half with the same team and tactics that we finished the first and were made to pay for it by the hour mark.

:agree:

As well as he has done there have on occasion been signs that he doesnt know what to do to change a game. He left it too late against Rangers at Christmas and again tonight. I can also think of the 1-1 draw against Dundee United early in the season when it was petering out and dying out for someone to make the telling substitution.

Having said all that, we can't really be too dissapointed with what he's done so far can we???

truehibernian
18-02-2010, 12:24 AM
Does anyone else have any thoughts about our pre-match routine and half time warm up's ? All season I have watched (sad as I am) the build up to the game, and they seem to laugh, joke, take shooting practice, but not much else. At half time, while DW and Lewis and Thicot were moving the ball around and running, Gow, Nish and Cregg looked like they were arranging a night out, chatting and not even doing stretches or ball work. We do seem to lose early goals and take our time to get into the game, so perhaps Rice and Evans need to bully them into getting it right, right up to kick off. They just look like they are swanning around just prior to games. Or is that too pedantic ?

Jim44
18-02-2010, 12:24 AM

I honestly think that a result and reasonable performance at Motherwell will do no more than consolidate our chances of a top five place. As far as the cup is concerned, I think we've blown our cover tonight. Assuming we get past Ross County, Rangers and Celtic will yet again see us as as the soft touch we normally are when it comes to the crunch. :tin hat:

Jamesie
18-02-2010, 12:31 AM
Does anyone else have any thoughts about our pre-match routine and half time warm up's ? All season I have watched (sad as I am) the build up to the game, and they seem to laugh, joke, take shooting practice, but not much else. At half time, while DW and Lewis and Thicot were moving the ball around and running, Gow, Nish and Cregg looked like they were arranging a night out, chatting and not even doing stretches or ball work. We do seem to lose early goals and take our time to get into the game, so perhaps Rice and Evans need to bully them into getting it right, right up to kick off. They just look like they are swanning around just prior to games. Or is that too pedantic ?

This really pisses me off, and I wonder if Yogi is actually aware of it? It has been going on for far too long now - our subs treating half time as a break.

YetholmHibee
18-02-2010, 12:33 AM
... after tonight's shamble!

Previously, we got away with it (E.g. Aberdeen)

Hibs performance, team selection & desire have been lacking or definately on the decline for the last couple of months.

IMHO the team we play is all wrong. The balance is wrong - too many small players, too many lazy players, too many creative players when the battle has not been won, no big strong striker to hold the ball up & to noise up the opposing defenders.

Also how crap has our free kicks & corners been all season - no different tonight.

On Alba John Hughes was talking about what it would mean to Hibs fans, Leith & himself if they won the Scottish Cup . . . . . brilliant, hope he gets his head out of his arse & gets it sorted out now.

down the slope
18-02-2010, 01:08 AM
This really pisses me off, and I wonder if Yogi is actually aware of it? It has been going on for far too long now - our subs treating half time as a break.
Noticed this as well with Evans telling them what to do and most of the players just ignoring him, proffesional my arse.

Hibby 2005
18-02-2010, 01:27 AM
Maybe they're starting to believe their own press instead of remembering they haven't qualified for or won anything in a while!

shamo9
18-02-2010, 01:31 AM
I honestly think that a result and reasonable performance at Motherwell will do no more than consolidate our chances of a top five place. As far as the cup is concerned, I think we've blown our cover tonight. Assuming we get past Ross County, Rangers and Celtic will yet again see us as as the soft touch we normally are when it comes to the crunch. :tin hat:

Which is a positive, right? We want them to underestimate us. If they can see us coming and consider us a major threat they'll be well up for it, with the added motivation of wanting to put us in our place. Better to sneak up from behind when it's dark and hit them where it hurts, no?:wink:

IWasThere2016
18-02-2010, 07:08 AM

Spot on! He waited until the MAJORITY of the game had been played before there was any change!
WTF?!?

And even then the subs he made meant minimal change to the shape!

I've been at two away games this season - Tannadeechee and last night and both have been tactical nightmares! He made more changes at Tannadice at HT when we were 1 down and still in it but none last night at HT when we were being murdered.
Bl++dy illogical to me!

Danderhall Hibs
18-02-2010, 08:06 AM

It is. I watched most of the warm-up last night - they did do running and stretching, then they had some shooting then the team went and done some more running while the subs carried on shooting. Looked fine to me and it just seems like moaning for moaning's sake to me.

What would be the point in the subs going full pelt at HT just to siut back down for another 15 minutes or longer?

I've been at two away games this season - Tannadeechee and last night and both have been tactical nightmares!

Just stay away next time TQM - you're the jinx. Were you at Hamilton as well?

HFC 0-7
18-02-2010, 08:21 AM
... after tonight's shamble!

Previously, we got away with it (E.g. Aberdeen)

Hibs performance, team selection & desire have been lacking or definately on the decline for the last couple of months.

IMHO the team we play is all wrong. The balance is wrong - too many small players, too many lazy players, too many creative players when the battle has not been won, no big strong striker to hold the ball up & to noise up the opposing defenders.

Also how crap has our free kicks & corners been all season - no different tonight.

On Alba John Hughes was talking about what it would mean to Hibs fans, Leith & himself if they won the Scottish Cup . . . . . brilliant, hope he gets his head out of his arse & gets it sorted out now.

We dont have anything to change it with though! Nish for his size is not a physical player and IMO when the chips are down he plays worse. Small midfielders are what we have so we have to get on with it. This thing is, it has worked this season, we have played with the small midfielders and the lazy ones too and have come away with some great wins.

I honestly think something is not quite right just now. Whether there has been fallings out or tension as we are in a good position entering the latters stages of the season. Players seemed out of their depth tonight, we never played as a team and when a player like Nish comes on for 15 mins before getting sent off I think something other than the scoreline meant he was very very frustrated.

I am sorry to say that I think whatever the problem is here it wont get fixed before saturdays game and I think another defeat is on the cards, then its St Johnstone at home and that game will be the make or break game. If we get beaten by St Johnstone at home and turn in a performance similar to last nights then I would worry about the rest of the season.

erskine-hibby
18-02-2010, 09:05 AM
Which is a positive, right? We want them to underestimate us. If they can see us coming and consider us a major threat they'll be well up for it, with the added motivation of wanting to put us in our place. Better to sneak up from behind when it's dark and hit them where it hurts, no?:wink:

No!
We want them to fear playing us. There is no way they will be complacent. We can not rely on 'sneaking' anything that is a recipe for disaster.

Mikeystewart
18-02-2010, 09:36 AM
Not many managers openly take responsibility for their team's performance cough...cough...mcghee...cough...cough

erskine-hibby
18-02-2010, 09:52 AM
Not many managers openly take responsibility for their team's performance cough...cough...mcghee...cough...cough

He could do nothing but take responsibilty.

Dr Jimmy
18-02-2010, 09:54 AM
We dont have anything to change it with though! Nish for his size is not a physical player and IMO when the chips are down he plays worse. Small midfielders are what we have so we have to get on with it. This thing is, it has worked this season, we have played with the small midfielders and the lazy ones too and have come away with some great wins.

I honestly think something is not quite right just now. Whether there has been fallings out or tension as we are in a good position entering the latters stages of the season. Players seemed out of their depth tonight, we never played as a team and when a player like Nish comes on for 15 mins before getting sent off I think something other than the scoreline meant he was very very frustrated.

I am sorry to say that I think whatever the problem is here it wont get fixed before saturdays game and I think another defeat is on the cards, then its St Johnstone at home and that game will be the make or break game. If we get beaten by St Johnstone at home and turn in a performance similar to last nights then I would worry about the rest of the season.

I agree, but we need to stop punting it from front to back and then expect the small midfielders to win the scraps. Michael Duberry is getting on and we had a real opportunity to get at him last night, but we insisted on punting long balls through the middle and he won every single header, the ball then bounces into the middle of the park and we get out muscled. This not how we got our earlier results, they were achieved by getting the ball down and passing to make chances.
Whilst I am on my high horse, last nights team was always going to give us problems. You cannot go away to any team in this league and effectively play with two midfielders, Rankin and Miller were totally outnumbered and over run last night. Why Yogi thinks playing Benji, Zemmama and Riordan will allow us to defend when needed is beyond me. The signs were there from the first game against St Johnstone that they were a good strong side with pace and that should have been taken into account. as for Hogg at full back, I am not a fan of his, but Yogi hung him out to dry last night by playing him there and did he honestly think that a centre half playing at right back with no covering midfielder was a good idea??
It looked like Yogi shirked making a decision on which one of three Centre halves should be on the bench and instead tried to accommodate them all.

I know it was only one game, but if we are being honest that result has been coming.......!

erskine-hibby
18-02-2010, 10:00 AM
I agree, but we need to stop punting it from front to back and then expect the small midfielders to win the scraps. Michael Duberry is getting on and we had a real opportunity to get at him last night, but we insisted on punting long balls through the middle and he won every single header, the ball then bounces into the middle of the park and we get out muscled. This not how we got our earlier results, they were achieved by getting the ball down and passing to make chances.
Whilst I am on my high horse, last nights team was always going to give us problems. You cannot go away to any team in this league and effectively play with two midfielders, Rankin and Miller were totally outnumbered and over run last night. Why Yogi thinks playing Benji, Zemmama and Riordan will allow us to defend when needed is beyond me. The signs were there from the first game against St Johnstone that they were a good strong side with pace and that should have been taken into account. as for Hogg at full back, I am not a fan of his, but Yogi hung him out to dry last night by playing him there and did he honestly think that a centre half playing at right back with no covering midfielder was a good idea??
It looked like Yogi shirked making a decision on which one of three Centre halves should be on the bench and instead tried to accommodate them all.

I know it was only one game, but if we are being honest that result has been coming.......!

It wasn't only one game though, was it?.
Just because the game previous was rangers at Ibrox doesn't lessen the fact that the team set up was all wrong. It took rangers until half time to figure it out then they were in the driving seat from then on.
St J must have seen this and learned from it, why didn't we???
They must have been rubbing their hands together when they seen us line up with a similar pattern. We were doomed before a ball was kicked IMHO.

KerPlunk
18-02-2010, 10:14 AM

:top marks

Another thing - :tin hat::tin hat: Hopefully I'm not alone in thinking that maybe Yogi is getting a wee bit distracted by the amount of "luvviness" that he and the team have been getting from the meeja of late.
After the 13-game-no-defeats run, we were being lauded as possible splitters of the Bigot Twins........Yogi getting some serious air-time, both teamwise and "The Life & Times of John Hughes" wise. In the past, we have always moaned about negative & destabilising publicity from the scribblers, especially in the run-up to an OF game. Well, I'm just wondering if positive / glowing reporting has the same effect because since the 2-1 game at Parkhead, we have been pretty rank (apart from 45 mins. against Aberdeen).
We've shipped 10 goals in 3 games, Yogi has become a bit too much of a tinkerer for my liking and is perhaps beginning to believe the stuff that he's reading in the papers.
IMHO, it might be a good idea if he concentrated more on his tactics and team selection rather than giving face time to the BBC Glasgow boys at East Mains a couple of times a week. We now have to concentrate on 2 things - the Cup and 3rd spot, because that gubbing last night (Haven't seen Derek McInnes spouting off on telly recently) killed any possible aspirations we might have had of catching Celtc. The last thing the fans want is another 60% season - the proof of the pud is in the last 3 months, so come on Yogi, get that 3rd spot ! (The BST will just be your "icing on the cake".)

:agree:

Littlest Hobo
18-02-2010, 10:36 AM
Home boss Derek McInnes could hardly disguise his delight at Saints' biggest win of the campaign.

After a disappointing recent run, he felt his team had finally clicked into gear.

He added: "We had to play in that manner against a very good Hibs team. It was important we didn't stand off them and let their good players play. I thought the appetite from minute one was there right to the end.

Apetite from begining to end, is something I've no seen from from a Hibs team in many a year!:rolleyes:

Hibby 2005
18-02-2010, 11:31 AM
Yogii getting sent to the stand last night certainly contrasted with his love-in with Kenny Miller at the end of the Rangers game.
Admittedly they were two different performances but both were defeats and the players involved in both games must have been a little confused by the contrasting reactions shown by their Manager.

erskine-hibby
18-02-2010, 11:35 AM
Yogii getting sent to the stand last night certainly contrasted with his love-in with Kenny Miller at the end of the Rangers game.
Admittedly they were two different performances but both were defeats and the players involved in both games must have been a little confused by the contrasting reactions shown by their Manager.

I suspect his reaction was more to do with the realisation that he F****d up the team selection.

IWasThere2016
18-02-2010, 11:37 AM

Not at Accies - but thinking of staying away! :boo hoo:

KerPlunk
18-02-2010, 11:38 AM

Aye, I wondered WTF that was all about. Yogi seemed a tad too chummy with the cheat.

erskine-hibby
18-02-2010, 11:39 AM
Aye, I wondered WTF that was all about. Yogi seemed a tad too chummy with the cheat.

Maybe he thinks he can get him on the cheap in the closed season:wink:

bawheid
18-02-2010, 11:50 AM

Not at Accies - but thinking of staying away! :boo hoo:

I was thinking this last night. :agree:

Hibs upturn has coincided with the economic downturn.

Economic downturn = less free hospy for TQM.

Less free hospy for TQM = Less Hibs matches attended by TQM = Hibs upturn.

'Mon the recession! :greengrin

gogs_t
18-02-2010, 12:45 PM

Totally agree with this. It was obvious he wasn't going to make changes so I was just hoping we could keep it to 2 nil until half time when he had a chance to rearrange. Couldn't believe the same 11 came out and carried on as before. It's okay being honest and holding your hands admitting you picked the wrong team, but playing the same line up after half time was ludicrous :grr:

ahibby
18-02-2010, 01:07 PM
He is being honest and I'm glad he said he could change things to hopefully prevent the likes happen again. He gave Saints the credit and plaudits they were due. I still don't think he could have changed the outcome on the night but perhaps some of his choices were questionable. For me Zemama and Stokes are our likely players and I would have kept Zemama on but hey he will see a bigger picture than I.

Bad Martini
18-02-2010, 01:19 PM

Agreed with all that though I do have some respect for him putting his hands up but as I say, agreed, he did make an arse of it.

It's also worth noting he made an arse of Sunday with the removal of one of the best players on the pitch namely wee Zooma...why remove him when he was doing well?

Why not bring Gow off at half time as he'd done precious little? What about Stokes who'd done not much more?

Questions about timing of changes and the nature of the changes on Sunday also need answering as removing Zooma was a bad move, leaving Gow on so long was a bad move and yesterday was also a bad move...

If he learns from it, its a painful 8 goals to lose in 4 days. But, if he learns from it, we'll maybe we'll get back on track.

That said, there's been a few lucky escapes this season where what we deserved and what we got weren't the same thing and it went in our favour. Sunday and last night, it didnae. I hope, Hughes learns, and indeed, some of our players learn anaw.

Rapidly.

Tyler Durden
18-02-2010, 01:21 PM

I agree, we should be able to pass around these teams. Unfortunately the tactics meant our midfield were never in the game. And one of our best passers and most threatening players (Wotherspoon) was sitting on the bench.

Couldn't agree more. IMO Hanlon should have been dropped and we should stick with the Hogg/Bamba partnership that has served us well for most of the season.

IWasThere2016
18-02-2010, 01:25 PM
I was thinking this last night. :agree:

Hibs upturn has coincided with the economic downturn.

Economic downturn = less free hospy for TQM.

Less free hospy for TQM = Less Hibs matches attended by TQM = Hibs upturn.

'Mon the recession! :greengrin

Brilliant :top marks Ya tosser! :wink:

Andy74
18-02-2010, 01:42 PM
Saying he got it wrong doesn't really mean he could have done much to change it. Remember we were two down after nine minutes - he then needed to have his dangerous players on the pitch.

So, yes, he could have gone with a different line up and won the battle first before playing but after nine minutes going to that set up probably would not have recovered the game.

Bostonhibby
18-02-2010, 06:28 PM
He could do nothing but take responsibilty.

And I am glad he did but however bad the selection / formation I think there is no excuse for the couldn't care less attitude some of the players seemed to show. Nish let us and himself down badly.