PDA

View Full Version : Where should Riordan be playing?

Monts
17-02-2010, 09:59 PM
All the talk of Riordan being played out of position, where would you play him?

snooky
17-02-2010, 10:03 PM
Some might suggest you should have left out the first word of the thread title. :wink:

hibeeliam
17-02-2010, 10:03 PM
up front. he is far too lazy to be a winger

Hibernian Verse
17-02-2010, 10:05 PM
On the bench. He's far too lazy to be a starter.

blackpoolhibs
17-02-2010, 10:06 PM
If he's not one of a front two he's not good enough to play anywhere else. He can get away with playing wide left sometimes, but imho we need someone who contributes more from that position than he does.

Jim44
17-02-2010, 10:09 PM
I'd keep him on the bench for a few games and look for a good half hour at the end of a match. Problem is that he will take the powder puff at that and won't be worth a light when he gets on the pitch. Riordan and how/where to play him is a serious problem for Hughes. Despite his promise of goals, I don't think he is paying his way in the present set-up

Hibernian Verse
17-02-2010, 10:11 PM
I'd keep him on the bench for a few games and look for a good half hour at the end of a match. Problem is that he will take the powder puff at that and won't be worth a light when he gets on the pitch. Riordan and how/where to play him is a serious problem for Hughes. Despite his promise of goals, I don't think he is paying his way in the present set-up

He's just not fast enough to be a winger. He's a STRIKER who scores GOALS (scarcely these days) - Yogi should be able to see that.

hibsfan7
17-02-2010, 10:15 PM
after tonights game
in the reserves along with the other 10 clowns that were on the park the young kids would have done better than that

:jamboak::jamboak::jamboak::jamboak::jamboak:

Alfred E Newman
17-02-2010, 10:16 PM
After suffering the fist 45 on Alba I think we could have had Ronaldinio playing in Riordans position and it would have made no difference. Riordan cannot be blamed for tonights debacle.

500miles
17-02-2010, 10:16 PM
Riordan can score goals from wide. He can influence games from there too, as his delivery from open play is good. But his mentality is all wrong, and we may now be seeing why he failed at Celtic.

I'd bench him. Stokes is the main goalscorer, and is more of a handful for a Centre Half. Nish, Zemmama, Miller and the like add a dimension to our team game that makes the young Irishman more productive. I think you would lose that if we play with Riordan and Stokes up front, and would struggle to maintain pressure, which is essential when you want to dominate games, and dominance is what you need to be to be conisistant.

Shame, he was really coming on to a better all round game prior to the Xmas period.

Emerald
17-02-2010, 10:18 PM
St Johnstone?? I am a big fan of Deeks but I am still at odds as to where he should play. He has no pace and not a lot of industry, but he has more talent than most ot the other SPL player put together. So "How do you solve a problem like Deek Riordon"???? At least we have that problem.

Hibby 2005
17-02-2010, 10:20 PM
He's a forward, play him there.

YetholmHibee
17-02-2010, 11:41 PM
IMHO . . . . Super sub!

IMHO . . . . He is too small, too slow, too lazy & lightweight for striker!

IMHO . . . . He is too small, too slow, too lazy & lightweight for Left midfield!

IMHO . . . . Done nothing much for the last 2 months to warrant a starting slot.

Hibby 2005
17-02-2010, 11:43 PM
How many goals will he get as a forward? How many as a winger? Hmmmmm

truehibernian
17-02-2010, 11:55 PM
Doesn't deserve to be near the first team with his attitiude on the park at present. Galbraith in for me and Derek on the bench. Midfield needs balance, and DW needs to start on the right, Galbraith on the left, and Miller and Rankin/Cregg in the middle. Alternatively you could do as we did at Utd and play three at the back, Hogg, Bamba, Murray, and incorporate Thicot into the midfield too (or alternate between Murray/Thicot/Bamba)

Smith

Hogg Bamba Murray

Thicot

Wotherspoon Miller Rankin Galbraith

Stokes Benji

HibbiesandtheBaddies
17-02-2010, 11:56 PM
Got a chance up front against St Mirren late in the game. Hands up in the air everytime he was easily brushed off the ball by their centre backs.

Hibby 2005
17-02-2010, 11:58 PM
Ach, just sell him!

Frank Moon
17-02-2010, 11:59 PM
How many goals will he get as a forward? How many as a winger? Hmmmmm

You can only play him as a forward if that fits the tactics. Sometimes he is not the option we need unfortunately much as it pains me to say so.

If we played the same formation and tactics as we did with O Connor and Deek then fine but the team is set up differently so I don't think it would work

Hibby 2005
18-02-2010, 12:07 AM
You can only play him as a forward if that fits the tactics. Sometimes he is not the option we need unfortunately much as it pains me to say so.

If we played the same formation and tactics as we did with O Connor and Deek then fine but the team is set up differently so I don't think it would work

If that's the case then Galbraith should take his place and Deeks should be on the bench.

Frank Moon
18-02-2010, 12:16 AM
Doesn't deserve to be near the first team with his attitiude on the park at present. Galbraith in for me and Derek on the bench. Midfield needs balance, and DW needs to start on the right, Galbraith on the left, and Miller and Rankin/Cregg in the middle. Alternatively you could do as we did at Utd and play three at the back, Hogg, Bamba, Murray, and incorporate Thicot into the midfield too (or alternate between Murray/Thicot/Bamba)

Smith

Hogg Bamba Murray

Thicot

Wotherspoon Miller Rankin Galbraith

Stokes Benji

No McBride or Zemmama???

HIBERNIAN 1875
18-02-2010, 12:17 AM
I'll decide when I start seeing him play for the jersey and actually show he wants to play for Hibs.

YetholmHibee
18-02-2010, 12:20 AM
Got a chance up front against St Mirren late in the game. Hands up in the air everytime he was easily brushed off the ball by their centre backs.

:top marks

And too slow to take the full-backs on. :agree:

Hibby 2005
18-02-2010, 12:21 AM
No McBride or Zemmama???

One is injured and the other is too often a passenger.

Green7
18-02-2010, 12:25 AM
I dont think he is interested and does not do enough to support the others when we are not attacking. He is in a different team now to the one before with the likes of Brown and Thomson and is getting found out big time.

YetholmHibee
18-02-2010, 12:28 AM
One is injured and the other is too often a passenger.

There is more than one passenger in the Hibs team - that's the big problem.

Monts
18-02-2010, 08:15 AM
Interesting that only one person agrees with almost every manager that's worked with him, and would play him at left midfield... :hmmm:

Steve20
18-02-2010, 08:20 AM
Put him on the bench. Not been interested for weeks now.

Mikeystewart
18-02-2010, 08:20 AM
Where is the option for "other club"? :blah:

Baldy Foghorn
18-02-2010, 08:23 AM
Leith Links

JimBHibees
18-02-2010, 01:25 PM
I dont think he can play up front with his back to goal, his strength IMO is playing with the game in front of him and cutting in from wide and creating from there. I think the wide left position suits him fine however he needs to start playing better than he currently is.

down-the-slope
18-02-2010, 02:08 PM
The reserves...oh yeah forgot the OF topedoed that

Viva_Palmeiras
18-02-2010, 04:38 PM
Copacabana beach leaving his own "mancha verde" before re-igniting his lust for the game back at ER.

snooky
18-02-2010, 06:31 PM
IMO, you can have only afford to have one 'luxury' player in the team playing on the park so, take your pick from Deek, Zoomer and Benji.

Play all three and you're effectively playing with 8 men.

Okay, that's a bit OTT but, it's making my point.

Danderhall Hibs
18-02-2010, 06:34 PM
I agree he's not been brilliant this season but I think he's wasted out on the left - one reason being that we never play the ball to the left hand side!

How many goals has he scored this season? Any idea where he sits in the SPL midfield goalscorers chart?

Edit: Just looked at the top scorers on the BBC site (http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/scot_prem/top_scorers/default.stm) and it seems he's the top scoring midfielder in the league!

skipster7
18-02-2010, 06:46 PM
up front just off to stokes left,ie: facing the goal.the laddie will score over a 100 goals for us but some want him binned, pathetic IMO of course:bitchy:

ive said it before and i'll say it again -how productive would boyd, miller,samaras or keane be as a left MIDFIELDER.
yogi needs to get him out of that role now and the goals will come:agree:

erskine-hibby
18-02-2010, 06:50 PM
If yogi doesn't want, or rate him as part of a front 2, then he may as well bench him because playing him out there on the left, then not giving him any service, is like starting the game with only 10 men.

truehibernian
18-02-2010, 06:59 PM
I agree erskine. You always want Derek to do well but this last few games he is playing a bit like a spoilt kid. Up front he would also need to work, and I think his touch isn't that great at the mo.........seems to be caught in possession a lot. An enigma, much like Benji. Great player, playing badly.......bench for me, and wee Galbraith given a run for a couple of games.

whiskyhibby
18-02-2010, 07:01 PM
IMHO . . . . Super sub!

IMHO . . . . He is too small, too slow, too lazy & lightweight for striker!

IMHO . . . . He is too small, too slow, too lazy & lightweight for Left midfield!

IMHO . . . . Done nothing much for the last 2 months to warrant a starting slot.

How many goals has he scored again......................:bitchy::bitchy:

Get him playing just off Stokes as a two in the same role that Steven Fletcher had for a while

erskine-hibby
18-02-2010, 07:04 PM
I agree erskine. You always want Derek to do well but this last few games he is playing a bit like a spoilt kid. Up front he would also need to work, and I think his touch isn't that great at the mo.........seems to be caught in possession a lot. An enigma, much like Benji. Great player, playing badly.......bench for me, and wee Galbraith given a run for a couple of games.

I didn't say bench him, I said if Yogi persists on playing him way out left with no service he may as well bench him. No wonder he is acting like a spoilt kid, as you say, given a game but no ball to play with.

essexhibee
18-02-2010, 07:11 PM
Derek Riordan should be on the bench. Im sorry but he is far too lazy and imo thinks he is bigger than the club. Anthony Stokes is twice the player of stokesy at the moment.

truehibernian
18-02-2010, 07:19 PM
He got caught offside a few times last night which was infuriating. Erskine, I meant that if up front in his preferred role, he still has to work and "defend", much like Stokes. I think his touch and attitude is wrong this last few games. No doubt of his ability and goal scoring prowess, but the toys oot the pram stuff is getting boring and costly this season. A few times first half, when Saints had a corner, he was not even goal side, nor watching his man, who if he had made a quick dart to get a short corner, was never going to get caught by Derek.

Cool_Hand_Luke
18-02-2010, 07:41 PM
Should be given a free role up front.
His strengths are scoring goals not tracking back or tackling. Out wide left he seems to struggle to go past defenders, so let him have a free role - harder to mark, and he can turn and bang the goals in from 25 yards :agree:
Play him to his strengths :agree:

Sylar
18-02-2010, 08:36 PM
"Somewhere else - maybe Germany".

blackpoolhibs
19-02-2010, 08:06 AM
Derek Riordan should be on the bench. Im sorry but he is far too lazy and imo thinks he is bigger than the club. Anthony Stokes is twice the player of stokesy at the moment.

Can you explain that to me please.:confused:

ulises_trotter
19-02-2010, 08:30 AM
this is a non debate, when he plays up front he hangs out on the left anyway

Danderhall Hibs
19-02-2010, 08:32 AM
this is a non debate, when he plays up front he hangs out on the left anyway

But the difference is there's someone in left midfield doing the midfielders job. When he's up front Riordan might pull to the left but it's in an advanced position, drawing centre-halfs out of position etc.

I can't believe so many are writing the guy off TBH.

blackpoolhibs
19-02-2010, 08:50 AM
But the difference is there's someone in left midfield doing the midfielders job. When he's up front Riordan might pull to the left but it's in an advanced position, drawing centre-halfs out of position etc.

I can't believe so many are writing the guy off TBH.

:agree: Nail hit firmly on head. There seems to be a campaign to have a pop at Riordan, yet if stokes was to play right midfield, i'm sure he'd not be getting into the right positions to score so many goals. And he'd be fed up tracking back too.

Dinkydoo
19-02-2010, 11:45 AM
Up front but slightly behind Stokes on the left side:

------------------------Midfield----------------------------------------

----------------------------------------------------Deeks
------------------------------Stokes

That would allow someone like Galbraith (or Murray) to bomb up the left wing whilst still letting Deeks cut inside onto his right foot.

Bad Martini
19-02-2010, 11:55 AM
Some pish around Riordan...

He may very well be slower than he should be. He may also possess less strength than he should.

BUT, he scores from anywhere (apart from the ****ing left sideline where Hughes seems to think he's best placed) and he also (which some folk seem to forget) possesses a skill Rankin, Nish and a good few others dont seem to have and thats the ability to place and PASS a ***** ball.

He's had rakes of assists and indeed, has had passes that started assists...he can put a cross in that has set-up many goals, he knows how to move a ball and all that together makes him infinitely more useful to Hibs than some folk can actually see.

IF the move doesny start, it makes nae odds what Stokes, Nish or anyone else can do. Wee Zomma is doing well right now doing this and starting moves...Riordan is also capable of putting in accurate and killer passes......its no JUST aboot rattling in goals and battering past players on the wing.

Wee Ivan could do that nae bother and was faster than Lindford Christie on...err, he was fast :greengrin but the final baw let the wee man doon so often.......good player makes the ball move. Riordan CAN dae that....:agree:
(and score) ... I suggest sticking him in the middle and lets see if he canny batter in more goals and spray more passes for Stokes.

Indeed, Stokes has done well this season and scored ****loads. I feel, some of the chances Stokes has MISSED, if he'd put away, would have made a big difference and had we reversed their positions all season, Riordan would possibly be our top scorer right now.......possibly.

Either way, I follow Hibs and no Riordan BUT, some of the pish spouted here is better directed at Nade than Deek.

:agree:

ulises_trotter
19-02-2010, 01:42 PM
have u ever seen him try to hold the ball up and bring others into the game... watch closely... the favourite being a punt high in the air as he's ***** scared of the defender in his rear... thats one of the reasons he cant play up front...
it was the first thing he done when he came on against rangers.. u need forwards willing to hold the ball in otherwise ball retention becomes impossible

HibbyKeith
19-02-2010, 04:01 PM
interesting after 128 votes only 7 want him playing left mid. will yogi bow to the .net pressure :greengrin

Bloody hope so!

HibbyKeith
19-02-2010, 04:05 PM

Can you explain that to me please.:confused:

I'd rather he explained that first. :greengrin

shagpile
19-02-2010, 04:15 PM
IMO, you can have only afford to have one 'luxury' player in the team playing on the park so, take your pick from Deek, Zoomer and Benji.

Play all three and you're effectively playing with 8 men.

Okay, that's a bit OTT but, it's making my point.

Pretty much how it went on Wednesday evening.Miller & Rankin were left to cover St Johnstones four in midfield & were swamped.

blackpoolhibs
19-02-2010, 04:40 PM
I'd rather he explained that first. :greengrin

:faf::faf: Never noticed that. :top marks

silverhibee
19-02-2010, 10:58 PM
interesting after 128 votes only 7 want him playing left mid. will yogi bow to the .net pressure :greengrin

Bloody hope so!

No.:wink: