PDA

View Full Version : Bamba MUST NOT be dropped post!

MussyHibby
17-02-2010, 10:49 PM
Some people on here seem to be mind readers in that they can tell Bamba is not on his game, not wanting to play for Hibs, too big for his boots.

I don't believe any of that. To say he has been poor since ANC is just an exaggeration. Not at his very best, but certainly not poor.

I say we get behind the big man and appreciate his quality.:agree:

(((Fergus)))
18-02-2010, 01:58 AM
At fault for two more goals tonight. Should never have gone straight back into the team. Time for a wee rest.

YetholmHibee
18-02-2010, 02:17 AM
Some people on here seem to be mind readers in that they can tell Bamba is not on his game, not wanting to play for Hibs, too big for his boots.

I don't believe any of that. To say he has been poor since ANC is just an exaggeration. Not at his very best, but certainly not poor.

Your finally turning - now admitting he is not at his very best.

Another photo shoot coming up soon for the family :wink:

Amazing what a photo does to cloud your judgement.

He has been gash since ANC - get a fresh pot of coffee on. I can see it's gonna be a long night. :wink:

NOLA
18-02-2010, 04:39 AM

He has been gash since ANC - get a fresh pot of coffee on. I can see it's gonna be a long night. :wink:

yes he has been below par recently, I would drop him to the bench! EPL:faf:

Beefster
18-02-2010, 07:01 AM
At fault for two more goals tonight. Should never have gone straight back into the team. Time for a wee rest.

He gave away the penalty but what other goal was he solely responsible for?

It looks, from the highlights, that Hogg and Hanlon were more culpable for the goals lost than Bamba was. IMHO.

PeterboroHibee
18-02-2010, 08:03 AM
He has been terrible recently.

Looks fine, composed, under no pressure one minute, the next hes given the ball away in a dangerous position due to getting caught in possession.

He needs to stop thinking hes better than everyone else (which is what it seems like), and just get on with things, playing it simple.

MoantheCabbage
18-02-2010, 08:14 AM
To be honest I think the big guy is a terrific talent and a massive asset to the the team, However I dont think its a big surprise that when he is not in the team playing CH we look stronger and more compact as a unti.

For me big Sol was a revelation in midfield breaking up play winning headers and covering for the defenders as he has bags of pace which is needed to get in those wee area's late.

When he plays centre half he doesnt communicate well with the other defenders and is a little to eratic making it harder for everyone else to stay in their position meaning they are pulled away from their area leaving gaps.

Just my thoughts but the big fella be back in midfield playing a holding role.

Danderhall Hibs
18-02-2010, 08:19 AM
He gave away the penalty but what other goal was he solely responsible for?

It looks, from the highlights, that Hogg and Hanlon were more culpable for the goals lost than Bamba was. IMHO.

It wasn’t just the goals though – he strolls about thinking he’s Zidane at times. When he’s got an easy choice he’ll not take it – just like when he tried a step-over 2 yards out against Rangers.

Since the ACN he’s been the player everyone thought he was when we signed him.

sixtwo
18-02-2010, 08:41 AM
He's not been at his best but this is when yogi earns his wages. He needs to get the best out of the players. He needs to boot some holes this morning!
Personally, I wold move bamba out of defence until mcbride is fit. I'd put him in the holding midfield role behind miller. Bamba is good at breaking up play and at least if he has a rush of blood to the head ( like his penalty he conceded last night or his attempted dummy in the 6 yrd box at ibrox) we would have hogg and hanlon behind him to tidy up!

Yogi needs to show more respect for opposing teams attacking capabilities.

Beefster
18-02-2010, 08:50 AM
It wasn’t just the goals though – he strolls about thinking he’s Zidane at times. When he’s got an easy choice he’ll not take it – just like when he tried a step-over 2 yards out against Rangers.

Miller lost the ball just about more than any other player on Sunday. We've got poorer defenders playing pisher than Bamba.

There are more pressing issues to be addressed that Bamba doing the odd 'poor man's Zidane' moment. Sometimes I think that Hibs fans would rather have someone pish but whose mistakes are constantly the basic, run of the mill ones over a decent player who can make a howler from time to time.

MussyHibby
18-02-2010, 09:18 AM

Not fair mate. From the semi with Dunfermline a few years ago I thought Sol was immense. Since then my judgement hasn't changed. Pre and post the photograph I have always felt he was a top player, currently not at his best, but not worthy of being dropped.

BTW, when we met for this picture he was no 'billy big baws', he was a real gentleman, that's why I struggle with these comments about his apparent arrogance.

IWasThere2016
18-02-2010, 09:25 AM

:greengrin

Sudds_1
18-02-2010, 09:31 AM

Yep, I'll go with most of that. IMHO it's not just the goals he may (or may not) be responsible for.....it's the general shakiness of the back 4 since he returned. For some reason he appears to generate a sense of nervousness among them. And that leads to error. And that leads to goals shipped.

On his day he's superb...........but I've not seen that for a long time.

Baldy Foghorn
18-02-2010, 09:34 AM
Yep, I'll go with most of that. IMHO it's not just the goals he may (or may not) be responsible for.....it's the general shakiness of the back 4 since he returned. For some reason he appears to generate a sense of nervousness among them. And that leads to error. And that leads to goals shipped.

On his day he's superb...........but I've not seen that for a long time.

And his ability to blame all those around him, bar himself.......

ScottB
18-02-2010, 10:40 AM
No player, regardless of talent, ability or value should be undroppable, which seems to be what some folk are suggesting.

I'd think nearly everyone accepts he's had more than a few rough moments since his return (own goal, 2 penalties, getting in the way etc) so for me he needs benched. Otherwise what message does that send? No matter how much you cock up your place is guaranteed?

So yeah, drop him and let him show some hunger and desire to get back into the team to get his supposed move to the EPL as at the moment he isn't doing us or himself any favours.

Steve20
18-02-2010, 10:42 AM

He has been abysmal since he came back from the ANC. I am not exaggerating but he has been shocking.

MussyHibby
18-02-2010, 10:45 AM
He has been abysmal since he came back from the ANC. I am not exaggerating but he has been shocking.

:bitchy:

Totally disagree.

blackpoolhibs
18-02-2010, 10:51 AM

Apart from last night, when? St Mirren, no. Aberdeen, no. The huns, no. In fact the first 2 games he was very good, apart from the own goal, he was the driving force in the team, and defended very well. Against the huns, again he played well, had a dodgy step over, but that apart played well, certainly no worse than anyone else. There's people jumping on some sort of bandwagon, for reasons that i don't understand.:confused:

Antifa Hibs
18-02-2010, 10:55 AM
He may not be at blame, he may not be 'pish' but the fact is he isn't playing anywhere near as good as he did last season and the first half of this season, especially since he's came back from the ACN, he f***s about to much for my liking and constantly blames every player bar himself.

I know he's a potential £2-3m player, we know he on his day he is one of the best defenders in this country, but a match on the sidelines may give him a boot up the erse he desperately needs, show the lad that despite playing alongside players such as Toure and Drogba and potentially playing in world cups, no player in undroppable and no one player in bigger than the club.

Hogg was dropped this season wasn't he....? Look at the difference now, he's been outstanding.

blackpoolhibs
18-02-2010, 11:04 AM
He may not be at blame, he may not be 'pish' but the fact is he isn't playing anywhere near as good as he did last season and the first half of this season, especially since he's came back from the ACN, he f***s about to much for my liking and constantly blames every player bar himself.

I know he's a potential £2-3m player, we know he on his day he is one of the best defenders in this country, but a match on the sidelines may give him a boot up the erse he desperately needs, show the lad that despite playing alongside players such as Toure and Drogba and potentially playing in world cups, no player in undroppable and no one player in bigger than the club.

Hogg was dropped this season wasn't he....? Look at the difference now, he's been outstanding.

There we have 2 quotes so far from the truth, and exaggerated its funny. Bamba does not **** about, he likes to play football maybe a little too much for your liking. And Hogg has never been outstanding , he's better now than before though.

erskine-hibby
18-02-2010, 11:09 AM
There we have 2 quotes so far from the truth, and exaggerated its funny. Bamba does not **** about, he likes to play football maybe a little too much for your liking. And Hogg has never been outstanding , he's better now than before though.

Same but different.
Only he's not very good at playing football and should stick to what he does best.

Antifa Hibs
18-02-2010, 11:15 AM

There's a time and place to play football, inside the 18 yard box with strikers closing down on you isn't the place.

You obvisouly weren't there last night going by the timing of one of yer posts, last night a through ball gets played through, instead of blasting it into the stands Bamba seems to just jockey it, striker is up his arse and gets a shot away, a good stop from Smith. Same last week at Ibrox, ball is in Hibs's 6 yard box, Bamba does some stupid *** stepover with Boyd down his throat, very very lucky to get a goal kick from it and not lose a goal.

That isn't playing football, that is f****ng about.

johnrebus
18-02-2010, 11:30 AM
It's Yogi who put Bamba straight back in the team, when INHO he should have been left out to recover from what must have been a pretty traumatic time at the ANC. Leaving aside the terrible death toll before the tournament began, it has to be said that the Ivory Coast did not perform anywhere near expectation - but who could really blame them?

It wasn't as if the team desperately missed him, because Hanlon had performed superbly at centre back, there was really no need to chuck him in so early.

Personally I would put him back into the Matty Jack / Rocky roll, but only after a complete break for a week or two.

:tin hat:

Bristolhibby
18-02-2010, 11:32 AM
To be honest I think the big guy is a terrific talent and a massive asset to the the team, However I dont think its a big surprise that when he is not in the team playing CH we look stronger and more compact as a unti.

For me big Sol was a revelation in midfield breaking up play winning headers and covering for the defenders as he has bags of pace which is needed to get in those wee area's late.

When he plays centre half he doesnt communicate well with the other defenders and is a little to eratic making it harder for everyone else to stay in their position meaning they are pulled away from their area leaving gaps.

Just my thoughts but the big fella be back in midfield playing a holding role.

Exactly what me and my old man were saying this morning.

Bamba in midfield and a back four of -

Murray - Hanlon - Hogg - Wotherspoon.

Or even throw Thicot in at CH?

Bamba needs to be in midfield.

J

Jones28
18-02-2010, 12:47 PM
A week or 2 on the bench and hopefully he'll back to his old self, but for now bring back Spooney and Paul Hanlon

Smith

Spooney Hogg Hanlon Murray

1875 NO 1
18-02-2010, 12:50 PM

punters were wetting themselves when he went to the ANC.......the season was over........how would we cope.

He has had a poor few games and now they want him dropped.

For me I would get him in the middle of the park on Sat to add height and a physical presence

1875 NO 1
18-02-2010, 12:51 PM
There's a time and place to play football, inside the 18 yard box with strikers closing down on you isn't the place.

You obvisouly weren't there last night going by the timing of one of yer posts, last night a through ball gets played through, instead of blasting it into the stands Bamba seems to just jockey it, striker is up his arse and gets a shot away, a good stop from Smith. Same last week at Ibrox, ball is in Hibs's 6 yard box, Bamba does some stupid *** stepover with Boyd down his throat, very very lucky to get a goal kick from it and not lose a goal.

That isn't playing football, that is f****ng about.
correct

ahibby
18-02-2010, 12:52 PM
We can't afford to drop him, despite his mistakes we would be worse with out him.

hfcok
18-02-2010, 01:10 PM
were much worse with him at the back,put back in as holding midfield,with mcbride out,or drop him

Caroline Hibby
18-02-2010, 01:29 PM

You seem to be taking this very personally. I can believe he was everything you would want a pro player to be when you met him, so no argument from me there. I think it's pretty telling 'though when there are a number of threads about the pros and cons of a player, and, as I've said before, it's all about opinions.

Bamba, to my mind, was no more, or less, to blame than anyone else last night. However, he is the one most supporters have reservations about, mainly because of the erratic style he has and his 'accident prone' decision making. I think he merits a game, but only in midfield. He's too high risk in defence. In saying that, I'm not a fan of players with his sort of mentality and stand by my view that (once he crosses that white line) he thinks he's a world beater. That is not a healthy influence on the team. How do you combat that? You can drop him and try to make him realise he's not indispensable or sell him, assuming someone else is willing to pay for him. He's young, but needs to mature, quickly.

lEXO
18-02-2010, 01:30 PM

I say we get behind ALL our players.No player should be an automatic pick,and Yogi should be playing players in their correct positions.The stick Bamba has been getting on here is nothing compared to what others get even when they play well.Last nights game was a shocker, but it might be the kick up the arse we need.

LancsHibs
18-02-2010, 03:44 PM
Just finished watching the game on Alba I sky+ last night. Due to the amount of criticism of Bamba on this forum I payed particular attention to Sol and must say I found a lot of it OTT and unfounded:confused:
Yes he did not have a great game by the high standards he has set from earlier in the season, but then again who in that team last night did (Smith in goals maybe the only one with pass marks and possibly Stokes who continued to work hard up front). IMO Bamba was communicating well, constantly trying to organise the back 4. He took up good positions and for the most part was strong & commanding. He did let Sheridan give him the slip in the first half who got a near post shot in which was well saved by Smith, but on the whole was not as bad as some are making out. Also think he was unlucky for the pen, it was more ball to hand than hand to ball!
Bamba is a class act and even when not playing as well as he can, like last night, is still a good player. I honestly believe that if a scout from an EPL club or a French league 1 club watched him last night, there assessment would be 'not a great game but worth another look'
I feel big Sol at the moment is the target for criticism, and some of the folk having a go are the same who were slagging Fletcher off this time last year as being over rated/not good enough when anybody with half a footballers eye could see he was a class apart in our team!
The big test now for the whole team is Motherwell on Saturday. I just pray we get back on track and the fans don't turn on Bamba or any of the players.

Rant over, tim hat on:dizzy:

LancsHibs
18-02-2010, 03:46 PM
Oops, that should have been TIN hat, never worn a TIM hat in all ma puff:greengrin

HFC 0-7
18-02-2010, 03:50 PM
A week or 2 on the bench and hopefully he'll back to his old self, but for now bring back Spooney and Paul Hanlon

Smith

Spooney Hogg Hanlon Murray

That we be the shortest back four in the league. I think that would cause us a lot of problems at set pieces etc.

Billychaotic182
18-02-2010, 05:22 PM
That we be the shortest back four in the league. I think that would cause us a lot of problems at set pieces etc.

Hanlon is 6 ft + as is Murray

Hogg and Wotherspoon are not that tall but it is in no means the shortest back 4.

blackpoolhibs
18-02-2010, 05:29 PM
Just finished watching the game on Alba I sky+ last night. Due to the amount of criticism of Bamba on this forum I payed particular attention to Sol and must say I found a lot of it OTT and unfounded:confused:
Yes he did not have a great game by the high standards he has set from earlier in the season, but then again who in that team last night did (Smith in goals maybe the only one with pass marks and possibly Stokes who continued to work hard up front). IMO Bamba was communicating well, constantly trying to organise the back 4. He took up good positions and for the most part was strong & commanding. He did let Sheridan give him the slip in the first half who got a near post shot in which was well saved by Smith, but on the whole was not as bad as some are making out. Also think he was unlucky for the pen, it was more ball to hand than hand to ball!
Bamba is a class act and even when not playing as well as he can, like last night, is still a good player. I honestly believe that if a scout from an EPL club or a French league 1 club watched him last night, there assessment would be 'not a great game but worth another look'
I feel big Sol at the moment is the target for criticism, and some of the folk having a go are the same who were slagging Fletcher off this time last year as being over rated/not good enough when anybody with half a footballers eye could see he was a class apart in our team!
The big test now for the whole team is Motherwell on Saturday. I just pray we get back on track and the fans don't turn on Bamba or any of the players.

Rant over, tim hat on:dizzy:
I agree with a lot of that, although i dont about the penalty, imho a stupid mistake. I saw your dad on Saturday at Preston, he said you were going too, i had a wee look for you all at half time, but couldn't find you. Alec said he might be going up to Motherwell on Saturday, i am are you going?

MussyHibby
19-02-2010, 01:01 PM
You seem to be taking this very personally. I can believe he was everything you would want a pro player to be when you met him, so no argument from me there. I think it's pretty telling 'though when there are a number of threads about the pros and cons of a player, and, as I've said before, it's all about opinions.

Bamba, to my mind, was no more, or less, to blame than anyone else last night. However, he is the one most supporters have reservations about, mainly because of the erratic style he has and his 'accident prone' decision making. I think he merits a game, but only in midfield. He's too high risk in defence. In saying that, I'm not a fan of players with his sort of mentality and stand by my view that (once he crosses that white line) he thinks he's a world beater. That is not a healthy influence on the team. How do you combat that? You can drop him and try to make him realise he's not indispensable or sell him, assuming someone else is willing to pay for him. He's young, but needs to mature, quickly.

No, not at all. Just defending, to me, a quality player! :agree:
Nobody has taken this personally, maybe apart from you.

(((Fergus)))
19-02-2010, 01:20 PM
No, not at all. Just defending, to me, a quality player! :agree:
Nobody has taken this personally, maybe apart from you.

no doubting he's a quality player but everyone has their off-days. sol has spent his playing for hibs when he should have been on the bench. hopefully he's got it out of his system now.