PDA

View Full Version : Question Following on from Yam player Hibs Fan Vica Versa, what about Scottish refs

TRC
17-02-2010, 04:29 PM
Just thought it would be interesting to see if anyone knew of any ref supporting a team in the SPL

PaulSmith
17-02-2010, 04:35 PM
Just thought it would be interesting to see if anyone knew of any ref supporting a team in the SPL

Of course they all supported a team, what difference it makes now is zero IMO as with an SPL ref observer at every game how long do you think they'd last if they were making mistakes every single game.

Ari Gold
17-02-2010, 04:39 PM
They all support Rantic.

southfieldhibby
17-02-2010, 04:59 PM
Although it may not seem possible on recent showings, Stevie Conroy is a Hibby

CropleyWasGod
17-02-2010, 05:03 PM
Dougie Macdonald is too.

John Underhill supports naebdy.. thinks they're all sh*te :wink:

StevieT
17-02-2010, 05:07 PM
Dougie Macdonald is too.

John Underhill supports naebdy.. thinks they're all sh*te :wink:

John no longer referees in the SPL unfortunately.

To the best of my knowledge Callum Murray is a Hearts supporter and Mike Tumilty supports Hartlepool

CropleyWasGod
17-02-2010, 05:09 PM

Agreed. Now does the Sky Masters, I believe.

StevieT
17-02-2010, 05:13 PM
Agreed. Now does the Sky Masters, I believe.

I've seen him on the telly box doing some of the masters games. John is a decent guy who gave me good advice when I took up refereeing.

Sean1875
17-02-2010, 06:11 PM

To the best of my knowledge Callum Murray is a Hearts supporter and Mike Tumilty supports Hartlepool
Heard that too :agree: one of the few, if not the only, scottish refs i rate.

CropleyWasGod
17-02-2010, 06:39 PM
I've seen him on the telly box doing some of the masters games. John is a decent guy who gave me good advice when I took up refereeing.

What like? DON'T!!! :greengrin

HFC 0-7
17-02-2010, 06:41 PM
Of course they all supported a team, what difference it makes now is zero IMO as with an SPL ref observer at every game how long do you think they'd last if they were making mistakes every single game.

Refs are probably making bigger mistakes of late and are getting away with it!

CropleyWasGod
17-02-2010, 06:49 PM
Refs are probably making bigger mistakes of late and are getting away with it!

How do you know this?

Part of the issue, IMO, is that we don't have as transparent a system in the SPL as they do in the EPL. There, if a ref makes a big mistake, he can be suspended and the public know about it.

I am sure that refs' performances are taken into account when it comes to giving them certain games, but we don't know that for sure.

Hugh Dallas acknowledged recent issues the other day, but he wouldn't be more specific. Maybe he needs to be?

HFC 0-7
17-02-2010, 07:22 PM
How do you know this?

Part of the issue, IMO, is that we don't have as transparent a system in the SPL as they do in the EPL. There, if a ref makes a big mistake, he can be suspended and the public know about it.

I am sure that refs' performances are taken into account when it comes to giving them certain games, but we don't know that for sure.

Hugh Dallas acknowledged recent issues the other day, but he wouldn't be more specific. Maybe he needs to be?

Referee at the recent Hibs game where zemmama was elbowed, blatant elbow, booked him then it turned out he booked him for obstruction?!?! Assistant referee at motherwell rangers match flagging offside. Referee at the Hibs Montrose game was shocking with general mistakes like the advantage rule.

IMO, refs need to be made full time, they need to be paid highly and in turn made accountable. If you make the referee position attractive with a high wage you will get a lot of interest, meaning a lot of choice and competition. If refs make big mistakes they pay for it with suspensions or fines etc. I think they get away with it more just now because there arent a lot of refs and they are only part time. I always get the feeling that the powers in football know the refs are weak but because we would be in serious bother if they turn around and say enough I quit we would be worse off and this makes the powers be a bit more soft on them. If players make big mistakes they are punished for all to see, if refs make big mistakes it is brushed under the carpet or dealt with 'behind' the scenes.

CropleyWasGod
17-02-2010, 07:33 PM
IMO, refs need to be made full time, they need to be paid highly and in turn made accountable. If you make the referee position attractive with a high wage you will get a lot of interest, meaning a lot of choice and competition. If refs make big mistakes they pay for it with suspensions or fines etc. I think they get away with it more just now because there arent a lot of refs and they are only part time. I always get the feeling that the powers in football know the refs are weak but because we would be in serious bother if they turn around and say enough I quit we would be worse off and this makes the powers be a bit more soft on them. If players make big mistakes they are punished for all to see, if refs make big mistakes it is brushed under the carpet or dealt with 'behind' the scenes.

... these bits back up what I said, that we don't know how things work in a disciplinary sense.

Transparency, IMO, would help lead to the accountability that you talk about.

vanNISHtelroy
18-02-2010, 07:53 AM
Hes been retired for a wee while now (could possibly do with him back seeing this lot are useless) but Willie Young is an Ayr fan and so was his uncle who was also a ref.

Danderhall Hibs
18-02-2010, 08:09 AM
how long do you think they'd last if they were making mistakes every single game.

As long as the SFA want them to. The refs all stick together and would argue black is white when one of them make an arse of something.