PDA

View Full Version : Season disappointment

down-the-slope
15-02-2010, 10:20 PM
The only real disapointment so far this season is that only Spoony from U19 has made the step up.

I thought that Welsh / Moyes / Booth were ahead of him in the stakes to step up....we really need to be getting a couple or three moving up to keep things progressing and allow the sell & improve policy that has served us so well.

Anyone seen the loaned players playing :rolleyes:

BEEJ
15-02-2010, 10:28 PM
Welsh appears to have suffered one injury after another following his major setback towards the end of last season. Booth isn't even in the first team squad this year; although by all accounts I expect he will step up for next season.

Moyes does not seem thus far to have set the heather alight during his loan spells. But undoubtedly he is learning all the time and will return a much more mature player for the experience. Flynn is obviously not regarded as yet 'being ready' for the first team.

Byrne is the one player who I would like to have seen a bit more of - but he faces tough opposition in the striking department. Again, next season will be key for him.

IberianHibernian
15-02-2010, 10:29 PM
Still time for some younger players to get a chance . Not having a reserve league probably doesn`t help either . And when things go well ( resultswise at least ) it`s harder to justify changing team . Despite mainly positive comments on here this season , I think we can certainly improve in all positions and any young player who makes an impression in training or bounce games or more likely with another club ( whether on loan from us or signed by us in summer ) will have a chance to make first team next season . Was Hanlon only player from our youth scheme in squad yesterday who has not played for another team ? ( Riordan at Celtic and Murray from Dundee United youth programme then later to huns , Wotherspoon from Celtic ) ?

Viva_Palmeiras
15-02-2010, 10:32 PM
Possibly suffered as a result of Mixus departure and the board backing Yogi with his targets. I wonder if Mixu's thinking was he may have been forced to blood them as it appeared that le Tache wasn't loosening the purse strings.

Mind you 7 was it not - a mental quantity. Hard to imagine a good portion of them could slot in even in cameos.

Viva_Palmeiras
15-02-2010, 10:37 PM
Still time for some younger players to get a chance . Not having a reserve league probably doesn`t help either . And when things go well ( resultswise at least ) it`s harder to justify changing team . Despite mainly positive comments on here this season , I think we can certainly improve in all positions and any young player who makes an impression in training or bounce games or more likely with another club ( whether on loan from us or signed by us in summer ) will have a chance to make first team next season . Was Hanlon only player from our youth scheme in squad yesterday who has not played for another team ? ( Riordan at Celtic and Murray from Dundee United youth programme then later to huns , Wotherspoon from Celtic ) ?

Was it not the OF that cried off on this one citing the costs to run it?
If so I could imagine they would also view it as having the side-benefit of disrupting Hibs progress - that reserve league certainly helps introduce youth team step ups.

heretoday
15-02-2010, 10:38 PM
Disappointments? There've been a few. But then again too few to mention.

Sunday was a bit of a disappointment right enough.

BEEJ
15-02-2010, 10:44 PM
Mind you 7 was it not - a mental quantity. Hard to imagine a good portion of them could slot in even in cameos.
Initially, yes. It was reduced to six when Paddy Deane was moved on before the start of the new season. Still a fair number.

It will be interesting to see how many are kept on in the summer given that we can expect a few more to be promoted from the U-19s this year (Booth, Smith, Bell, Love etc etc......!?)

McD
15-02-2010, 10:56 PM
Initially, yes. It was reduced to six when Paddy Deane was moved on before the start of the new season. Still a fair number.

It will be interesting to see how many are kept on in the summer given that we can expect a few more to be promoted from the U-19s this year (Booth, Smith, Bell, Love etc etc......!?)

Smith is only 17 I think, be another year in the 19s I think, maybe 2. Looks a cracking prospect, but would get badly outmuscled by some of the SPL forwards even next season, but given another 18 months or so, and he will have filled out a bit more.

Looking forward to seeing him in the full team, his time will come. Tho may get accelerated when bamba goes.

monktonharp
15-02-2010, 11:17 PM
I'm a bit dissapointed at not seing much of kurtis booth. thought he may have a wee bit of action in our cup games.however he is up against a couple of predators,and maybe his loan period is gonna be for the best,this season

matty_f
15-02-2010, 11:39 PM
I'm a bit dissapointed at not seing much of kurtis booth. thought he may have a wee bit of action in our cup games.however he is up against a couple of predators,and maybe his loan period is gonna be for the best,this season

It's Kurtis Byrne. Calum Booth is out on loan at the moment, and is a terrific prospect at left back.

I think all the boys that made the step up last year have been unlucky in that they've come to the side when we have Miller and McBride making it difficult for Welsh and Currie to get into the side (injuries aside), a forward line that's as good as most in the SPL preventing Byrne getting a regular game, Flynn is very young for a keeper, and he's rightly behind Smith, Stack, Brown and Maka at this moment in time.

Moyes is a good centre-half, and his loan experiences will stand him in good stead for the future. Again, he's unlucky that Hanlon, Bamba, Hogg and Murray are all in front of him for a start just now.

Wotherspoon has made a great start and hasn't really looked out of place in the first team. Funnily enough, he wouldn't have been the one I'd have tipped to make the biggest impression this season, though James McDonaugh highlighted him as the one to watch at the start of the season when I interviewed him, so hats off to him for that one.:thumbsup:

I think a degree of patience is required from us as the support, to let these boys come into the team when the time's right, and not to put undue pressure on either the ones to have come through already, or the ones still playing at 19s level.

hibs0666
15-02-2010, 11:44 PM
The only real disapointment so far this season is that only Spoony from U19 has made the step up.

I thought that Welsh / Moyes / Booth were ahead of him in the stakes to step up....we really need to be getting a couple or three moving up to keep things progressing and allow the sell & improve policy that has served us so well.

Hanlon came from the same group. Two quality players coming out of any youth team is still a great result.

Mibbes Aye
16-02-2010, 12:43 AM
It's Kurtis Byrne. Calum Booth is out on loan at the moment, and is a terrific prospect at left back.

I think all the boys that made the step up last year have been unlucky in that they've come to the side when we have Miller and McBride making it difficult for Welsh and Currie to get into the side (injuries aside), a forward line that's as good as most in the SPL preventing Byrne getting a regular game, Flynn is very young for a keeper, and he's rightly behind Smith, Stack, Brown and Maka at this moment in time.

Moyes is a good centre-half, and his loan experiences will stand him in good stead for the future. Again, he's unlucky that Hanlon, Bamba, Hogg and Murray are all in front of him for a start just now.

Wotherspoon has made a great start and hasn't really looked out of place in the first team. Funnily enough, he wouldn't have been the one I'd have tipped to make the biggest impression this season, though James McDonaugh highlighted him as the one to watch at the start of the season when I interviewed him, so hats off to him for that one.:thumbsup:

I think a degree of patience is required from us as the support, to let these boys come into the team when the time's right, and not to put undue pressure on either the ones to have come through already, or the ones still playing at 19s level.

:top marks

Hanlon is a peer of the group who get talked about, and people forget how quickly he got promoted to the first-team squad. People also maybe under-estimate just how long it takes to make that transition into a full-blown first-team player. It's been beyond many hopeful talents in recent years.

Sorry, but that's nonsense. Would you have been playing Booth ahead of Murray? Moyes ahead of Bamba, Hogg or Hanlon? Welsh ahead of Miller and McBride? Have you seen them enough to justify them 'stepping up'?

We've seen remarkable progress from Wotherspoon this season. A lot better than I expected, and I'm no expert. At RB, which, arguably to some, isn't his position :wink:.

I certainly wouldn't be looking for more, this early on. It's a balancing act, a fine-tuning act and Yogi seems to have shown a good sense of what is needed so far.

Last season's U19s were just that, U19s. I think the majority are still eligible. They're promising, but they've got a long, long way to go to make it as players who can earn a living playing SPL football full-time, and there's no shortage of folk who were good enough at their level, but for whatever reason never quite made it. It's incredibly difficult and incredibly tight, even just to fashion a career at clubs lower down the pecking order than Hibs.

The recent successful bunch of youth players have impressed massively in the way they try and play the game. I sincerely hope they all make the transition to the highest level but the odds are against them all doing it.

(((Fergus)))
16-02-2010, 09:41 AM
Was it not the OF that cried off on this one citing the costs to run it?
If so I could imagine they would also view it as having the side-benefit of disrupting Hibs progress - that reserve league certainly helps introduce youth team step ups.

why not have a reserve league without those ****ers?

offshorehibby
16-02-2010, 10:11 AM
Moyes & Booth are both at Arbroath both played in Saturdays 2-0 win.
http://www.arbroathfc.co.uk/

Byrne is at Stirling Albion don't think he's played yet.

Vini1875
16-02-2010, 11:02 AM
Not really disappointed about the young guys progress. It is some leap from U19 to SPL. I think having them train with the first team and going out on loan spells will help them develop a lot better than playing in a reserve league. The disappointment would be that if only one or two from last years U19 actually make it to the first team.

That said if we can progress one or two players from U19 to the first team and then sell for multi millions I would see that as a great success for the running of the club.

Franck is God
16-02-2010, 11:37 AM
Can't say I'm too disappointed at all at the progress of our younger players this year.

It was a shame for Deane to be released before the beginning of the season but to be honest he wasn't as good as the rest and I never saw him making it at SPL level.

The other six however are doing just fine, the kids out on loan will benefit from the experience and both Hanlon and Spoony have made themselves hard to leave out the first choice 11.

I like Sean Welsh as a player, seen him play at centre half, right back and centre midfield and looked good in all positions. Hope he has a good summer and pre-season and can really push for a place in the team.

Byrne is a good finisher and definitely has a bit about him but he has a lot of striking talent to get past before he gets his chance I'm afraid.

Have been impressed by Booth, strong running left backs are difficult to come by, if he does well in his loan spell and like Welsh has a good summer then I could see him being hard to leave out.

A lot of people speak highly of Currie, reminds me a bit of KT but not as good, hope I'm wrong but I think he might struggle to make it at Hibs.

ancient hibee
16-02-2010, 11:47 AM
I see that they're now looking at reinstating the reserve league because so many players are not getting a game.What is it about football clubs that the people who run them take so long to cotton on to what any fan could have told them(and did).

3pm
16-02-2010, 11:53 AM
I see that they're now looking at reinstating the reserve league because so many players are not getting a game.What is it about football clubs that the people who run them take so long to cotton on to what any fan could have told them(and did).

Apparently Rangers and Celtic are looking at the prospect of joing the English reserve league. All about a restriction of trade. :wink:

hfc rd
16-02-2010, 01:01 PM

Maybe Yogi doesn't feel they are ready at the moment to step into the first team and that is why he has sent them out on loan to get some first team experience.