PDA

View Full Version : One Season Wonder?

AugustaHibs
15-02-2010, 02:51 PM
I'm hoping this season isnt a fluke, hopefully we can be getting into europe year after year,(considering we get into europe this season) what do you think?

Hibee_Lisa
15-02-2010, 02:56 PM
I think we have progressed this season beyond what most would have expected,all credit to Hughes and the players. :top marks If anyone will make us consistant challengers for 3rd it will be Hughes. In saying that his second season with us will be very telling.

Speedway
15-02-2010, 02:57 PM
I think the ultimate ambition of our current board is to be the Scottish Ajax:

- Own our own facilities
- Youth programme second to none
- Regular European qualification
- Play youngsters augmented by a couple of higher profile older heads
- Top 4 finish every season
- Sell talent to fund further investment once full value can be reached
- Semi regular silverware
- No debt.

That's what we seem to have been building since Mowbray, with some mis-steps and setbacks along the way.

GreenCastle
15-02-2010, 03:01 PM
No -

Yogi has addressed areas that need sorted - keepers etc and he still says he is miles away from what he wants.

So would expect us to continue to improve :agree:

Franck Stanton
15-02-2010, 03:09 PM
Dont think our season has been all down to luck, combination of skill/hard work/playing players in natural-favoured positions [most of them anyway] and good talented signings for right areas of team.
Will add though, IF we end up 3rd this season it will be a big ask for more of the same next year as traditionally very few teams manage it for more than one season - check over last 10 years or so and whenever a team does have good season and finnishes 3rd they usually struggle next year. Hopefully we can buck the trend.

Dunbar Hibee
15-02-2010, 03:17 PM
If we can keep all our players and build on the team even more I think we can finish top 4 every season, and I certainly hope this is the case. As said above the 2nd season will be very telling.:agree:

MountcastleHibs
15-02-2010, 03:29 PM
I don't think we're one season wonders. There just seems to be something about us at the minute, a lot of buzz around the club, strengthening the team with quality players, and a manager that loves the club. I think Yogi has a long term plan for us, and I hope that we will be able to build on this season next :thumbsup:

Hfc_Since1875
15-02-2010, 03:36 PM
This is a hard 1 tbh!
I think we've carried ALOT of luck this season!
Hope im wrong though!:thumbsup:

CallumLaidlaw
15-02-2010, 03:46 PM
As someone has already said, the 2nd season us normally the biggest challenge of all. finishing 3rd attracts the attention of bigger clubs, who look to cherrypick the best players. Our advantage with this this year is that the old firm haven't got the same clout as they once had, so it is only English/ foreign clubs that can afford them. If we get to september with wotherspoon, Murray, miller, mcbride, zemmama, and stokes with a couple of yogi gold dust signings, then we'll be in a good place

Dashing Bob S
15-02-2010, 03:51 PM
In terms of personnel, management and infrastructure, everything at ER seems to geared up for sustained success. We should be playing in Europe every season in my opinion, when you consider that the top 4 (5 depending on the cup final outcome) qualify, and the financially hamstrung opposition we'll face over the years (realistically Hearts, A'deen and Dundee United regularly, with a M'Well or Killie having a good couple of seasons.)

jacomo
15-02-2010, 04:03 PM
If we can keep all our players and build on the team even more I think we can finish top 4 every season, and I certainly hope this is the case. As said above the 2nd season will be very telling.:agree:

I reckon Zemmama, Benji and Sol will all leave in the summer, plus Maka and a couple of others who aren't getting a game (Thicot maybe?)

On the plus side, hopefully a few more from the youth ranks will make the step up.

Yogi will have his work cut out to improve the squad in the summer.

CalgaryHibs
15-02-2010, 04:36 PM
I'm hoping this season isnt a fluke, hopefully we can be getting into europe year after year,(considering we get into europe this season) what do you think?

============
Personally you should be asking this question in July ? not now. IMO:greengrin

BEEJ
15-02-2010, 04:41 PM
============
:agree:

I'm uncomfortable about discussing a second / third season of achievement when we've yet to achieve anything this season.

It's been better than expected so far; but there's some way to go yet.

CalgaryHibs
15-02-2010, 04:45 PM
:agree:

I'm uncomfortable about discussing a second / third season of achievement when we've yet to achieve anything this season.

It's been better than expected so far; but there's some way to go yet.

========
spot on!
Thats why i'm not voting until seasons end

NORTHERNHIBBY
15-02-2010, 05:22 PM
This is a hard 1 tbh!

There is an argument that says you make your own luck after a while. I think that there clubs that have a way to go until they can turn the corner financially especially Dundee United who must have a day of reckoning ahead of them. I would say that outwith the OF, the only other SPL club that is really stable is St Mirren, but with a ground capacity of around 9,000 [?], they are almost as good as they are going to get. If we can get 3rd and get a few decent ties in Europe we could be set long term for exciting times. Maybe not with the big two right now, but at least be the regular next best and kick on from there.

MountcastleHibs
15-02-2010, 05:24 PM
This is a hard 1 tbh!

Every good football team has luck... Look at Rangers and Celtic in recent years :wink:

jakedance
15-02-2010, 05:25 PM
I think that, on and off the pitch, we're well run, financially sound and on the up. We'll have poor seasons, and we've achieved nothing yet this year, but I'm fairly confident that the coming decade will be more successful than the last. Add to that a general decline amongst the competition and we've every reason to feel good about the future.

It will be very interesting to see how many season tickets we sell next year. I think there has been a Mixu induced hangover this year but hopefully the fans who haven't come back yet will return next year.

Malthibby
15-02-2010, 07:16 PM
Murray signing indicates a longer term plan for the Hibees, & if we keep most of our players, ongoing development is more likely. Not going to count me chickens & get too excited until we finish 3rd & win the cup.:thumbsup:
GG

blackpoolhibs
15-02-2010, 07:22 PM
For those saying we have carried a bit of luck this season, is it just us who have been lucky, or have any other teams had it too? In my opinion, Yogi has brought to the club better players, but also moulded out a team to play the system he wants to play. And its working too. The last man, didnt seem to have any system at all. Hughes has progressed the team, and the club as a whole, and again imho he will continue to do so.

We might have the odd slip from time to time, but again imho, i see us challenging at the right end of the league constantly for a change, under the best young manager in Scotland.:notworthy:

hfc rd
15-02-2010, 10:57 PM

- Own our own facilities
- No debt.

That's what we seem to have been building since Mowbray, with some mis-steps and setbacks along the way.

True, I think that aswell.

IberianHibernian
16-02-2010, 12:05 AM
As we`re only in 3rd place in a season in which both OF teams are weaker than they have been for a while I find question a bit strange or even worse a bit sad . Are we supposed to think this is a particularly successful season just because last season was bad ? Am pleased to see that we are comfortably in top half of league but haven`t seen anything in performances or results to get carried away about ( and I`ve seen lots of ups and downs with results and performances over the years ) and from the few games I`ve made this season haven`t detected any greater enthusiasm amomg support either . I`m saying all the above as a great supporter of Yogi and Brian Rice as management team ( Was one of the few here who supported them before JC or Mixu were supported ) . Still a long way to see what will happen this season - should we celebrate 3rd or 4th for example according to OP ? Surely 4th is never any reason to celebrate ?

PatHead
16-02-2010, 12:18 AM
Not voting on this as I cant believe anyone can be this negative, FFS we are 3rd in the league, Cup 1/4s. C'mon enjoy it whilst it lasts.....I've been around long enough to know it won't. Seize the moment and all that

marleyhib
16-02-2010, 07:40 AM
Seems a bit of a daft poll, put simply Yogi has been a breath of fresh air in the short time he has been here.

I think he's the right man for the job but us hibbies often seem to get carried away, I just hope we all don't get on his back too much when/if we have a bad spell.

Massive step up from Mixu, enjoying this season immensely and looking forward to next whatever happens up till the end of this one.

CallumLaidlaw
16-02-2010, 07:53 AM
As we`re only in 3rd place in a season in which both OF teams are weaker than they have been for a while I find question a bit strange or even worse a bit sad . Are we supposed to think this is a particularly successful season just because last season was bad ?

I think its all about progress. If you look at the last 20 years, we have only achieved 3rd on a couple of occasions, so for the time being, 3rd IS something to celebrate.

Yes the old firm are weaker, but they still have players on 10 times our wages, or in Robbie Keane's case, 20 times.

If we started to finish 3rd/4th consistently, then we would be looking to push on to the next level, and that is when the new East stand will be needed.

At the minute, this IS our next level. If, at the start of the season someone had offered me 4th and a good scottish cup run, then I would have taken it, as would many Hibees.

marinello59
16-02-2010, 10:27 AM
The season isn't finished yet so surely the question is a bit premature to say the least. Bear in mind Yogi inherited a real shambles so we really shouldn't be expecting or demanding too much this time around. The team rebuilding looks to be ahead of schedule and a top six place is all but guaranteed. This seasons football is also much more pleasing to the eye. That doesn't seem 'flukey' in the least to me but part of a long term plan.
GGTTH.

Andy.1875
16-02-2010, 10:55 AM
============

Why July?

Rodell Vereen
16-02-2010, 11:16 AM
We've been very lucky and perhaps just a matter of time before our bubble bursts. Pop!!

CallumLaidlaw
16-02-2010, 11:20 AM
We've been very lucky and perhaps just a matter of time before our bubble bursts. Pop!!

1 post? :rolleyes:

LTYF

Mind you at least we have a bubble

BroxburnHibee
16-02-2010, 11:42 AM

:bye:

Franck Stanton
16-02-2010, 12:16 PM

You sure you are a hibby? Smell a yam here.

Keith_M
16-02-2010, 01:53 PM
Is Hibs current form a 'one season wonder'?

I'll let you know in 2011 :wink:

MacBean
16-02-2010, 02:03 PM

- Own our own facilities
- No debt.

i like the sound of that.

I'm hoping that this season is the start of all this and firmly believe yogi is the man for the job to take us forward. However i have a doubt in the back of my head that next season will see a dip for us before another rise.

I think Hearts (heaven forbid) Dundee Utd and Aberdeen will be stronger next season and the fight for 3rd/4th will be solid!

basehibby
16-02-2010, 02:35 PM
This season's success has been no fluke but has been down to two major factors IMO -

The appointment of a real rising star in the Scottish management scene in Yogi. Thankfully he's also a committed Hibs man which should rule out any premature departure from ER.
The financial management of the club over the last 5 years or so - which has seen Hibs' power in the the transfer market and ability to pay competitive salaries improve year on year while our major competitors have started to really struggle in this respect.
These two factors together have resulted in success exceeding our expectations this season - I don't expect any changes in this situation any time soon so I'd expect more of the same steady improvement next season thank you very much indeed :thumbsup:

Jim Herriot
16-02-2010, 03:34 PM

One post wonder? :bye: