PDA

View Full Version : Winter Olympics Hockey.

Hibbie_Cameron
13-02-2010, 11:03 PM
Who is a favourites for the Gold at the Olympics? All the big teams usually fall flat on there faces dont they?

James.
14-02-2010, 03:05 PM
Who is a favourites for the Gold at the Olympics? All the big teams usually fall flat on there faces dont they?

The Russian team look too good. Malkin, Kovalchuk, Semin, Datsyuk, Gonchar and some dude called Ovechkin.

Anyone but USA to win it for me. I'm raging Burke never selected Kyle Okposo but found places for players like Drury on the basis that "he is Chris Drury" :grr:

GhostofBolivar
15-02-2010, 01:12 AM
The Russian team look too good. Malkin, Kovalchuk, Semin, Datsyuk, Gonchar and some dude called Ovechkin.

Anyone but USA to win it for me. I'm raging Burke never selected Kyle Okposo but found places for players like Drury on the basis that "he is Chris Drury" :grr:

Chris Drury's a centre, Okposo is a right winger. So I don't see what your point is. TJ Oshie and Tim Connolly have more cause to be upset that Drury was selected than Okposo does. Anyway, considering how young the US squad is, the experience and leadership of Drury and Langenbrunner will be vital to their chances.

In any case, Okposo is the 5th highest scoring American right winger in the NHL. Which, if we're scoring it like that, wouldn't be good enough anyway. The only winger on the squad with fewer points than him is Ryan Callahan, who has more goals than Okposo. If you think they should have left Patrick Kane, Bobby Ryan or Phil Kessel off the team so Okposo could go, you're nuts.

There are five RWs on team US. Kane, Kessel and Ryan are clearly better players, the others are Callahan - who'll have 4th line duties at best - and Jamie Langenbrunner - who's the team captain. Who should have sat so Okposo could go?

Higgy115
15-02-2010, 01:00 PM
All you experts out there in the ice hockey, surely Canada should be nailed on for gold. The line up is like a dream team from the NHL and with home support.... Best price seems to be about 6/5, worth a decent punt ????

I know the Russians will be dangerous with Ovechkin but lacking the same strength in depth as the Canadians.

PC Stamp
15-02-2010, 01:06 PM
Canada are usually always favourites. Olympics, World Championships whatever ... but they still manage to right royally screw it up more often than not!

James.
15-02-2010, 01:21 PM
Canada have the strength in depth yes but Russia's offence is miles ahead I think.

Higgy115
15-02-2010, 01:22 PM
Canada are usually always favourites. Olympics, World Championships whatever ... but they still manage to right royally screw it up more often than not!

Are you advising not to back them then... I agree their record in the major tournaments is poor considering the squads they have had, thought with home ice this year, keep their nerve, should win. Cousin over there is pretty confident, he is just delighted with the break in the NHL, Oilers season ticket holder !!!!!!

James.
15-02-2010, 01:49 PM
Chris Drury's a centre, Okposo is a right winger. So I don't see what your point is. TJ Oshie and Tim Connolly have more cause to be upset that Drury was selected than Okposo does. Anyway, considering how young the US squad is, the experience and leadership of Drury and Langenbrunner will be vital to their chances.

In any case, Okposo is the 5th highest scoring American right winger in the NHL. Which, if we're scoring it like that, wouldn't be good enough anyway. The only winger on the squad with fewer points than him is Ryan Callahan, who has more goals than Okposo. If you think they should have left Patrick Kane, Bobby Ryan or Phil Kessel off the team so Okposo could go, you're nuts.

There are five RWs on team US. Kane, Kessel and Ryan are clearly better players, the others are Callahan - who'll have 4th line duties at best - and Jamie Langenbrunner - who's the team captain. Who should have sat so Okposo could go?

I was trying to make two points but it does sound like I'm advocating Okposo over Drury which doesn't make sense as they are, as you've said, different positions - so for that I apologise.

But yeah lets talk Callahan and Okposo, at the time Burke announced the USA team Okposo had 27 points and -5 whilst Callahan was 19 points and -11. Even during a massive team slump Okposo still has more points. Of course stats don't tell the whole story it's also the fact that he's regarded a better player on PP, PK and 2 way play - all Callahan has over Okposo is that he can check better but he does play with the Rags.

With Langenbrunner I can see why he's in but leadership only goes so far and thought USA were rebuilding?

But then again maybe Burke's right, I mean his record with the Leafs this season is massively impressive. :greengrin

(PS, I do have a big dislike for both the Rangers and Maple Leafs (and Leafs fans) - so expect my argument is massively flawed in some way that I just can't see)

Part/Time Supporter
15-02-2010, 04:46 PM
Starts tomorrow night our time, even with the 8hr difference, there is usually one men's game we can watch (within reason), as the games run from midday to 9pm Vancouver time. Schedule for the first three days is three men's games with two women's games in between.

http://winterolympics.external.bbc.co.uk/hockey/resultsandschedules/index.html

Tuesday: USA v Swiss (20:00); wh; Canada v Norway (00:30); wh; Russia v Latvia (05:00)
Wednesday: Finland v Belarus (20:00); wh; Sweden v Germany (00:30); wh; Czech v Slovakia (05:00)
Thursday: USA v Norway (20:00); wh; Swiss v Canada (00:30); wh; Slovakia v Russia (05:00)
Friday: Belarus v Sweden (20:00); Czech v Latvia (00:30); Finland v Germany (05:00)
Saturday: Norway v Swiss (20:00); wh; Latvia v Slovakia (00:30); Germany v Belarus (05:00)
Sunday: Russia v Czech (20:00); Canada v USA (00:40); Sweden v Finland (05:00)
Wednesday 24th: quarterfinals, running from 20:00 to 05:00
Friday 26th: semifinals, at 20:00 and 02:30
Saturday 27th: bronze match at 03:00
Sunday 28th: gold match at 20:15

To be honest, the early matches are pretty guff until Sunday.

Group A
Canada
USA
Swiss
Norway

Group B
Russia
Czech
Slovakia
Latvia

Group C
Sweden
Finland
Germany
Belarus

--------
15-02-2010, 05:14 PM
I was trying to make two points but it does sound like I'm advocating Okposo over Drury which doesn't make sense as they are, as you've said, different positions - so for that I apologise.

But yeah lets talk Callahan and Okposo, at the time Burke announced the USA team Okposo had 27 points and -5 whilst Callahan was 19 points and -11. Even during a massive team slump Okposo still has more points. Of course stats don't tell the whole story it's also the fact that he's regarded a better player on PP, PK and 2 way play - all Callahan has over Okposo is that he can check better but he does play with the Rags.

With Langenbrunner I can see why he's in but leadership only goes so far and thought USA were rebuilding?

But then again maybe Burke's right, I mean his record with the Leafs this season is massively impressive. :greengrin

(PS, I do have a big dislike for both the Rangers and Maple Leafs (and Leafs fans) - so expect my argument is massively flawed in some way that I just can't see)

I think Kyle Okposo is going to be a very important player for USA Hockey for years to play. He’s a big player, skilled player, very coachable. No minuses. Just not experienced enough at this point.

I wouldn't criticise the GMs of other teams when you had Mike Milbury in charge for how long?

James.
15-02-2010, 05:28 PM
I wouldn't criticise the GMs of other teams when you had Mike Milbury in charge for how long?

Too long

Killiehibbie
15-02-2010, 06:43 PM
I remember reading a while about somebody fancying Finland at 20 odd/1, his reasoning being they had a lot of top players and would be underestimated. I know nothing about Ice Hockey and didn't even back them.

H18sry
15-02-2010, 06:48 PM
Starts tomorrow night our time, even with the 8hr difference, there is usually one men's game we can watch (within reason), as the games run from midday to 9pm Vancouver time. Schedule for the first three days is three men's games with two women's games in between.

http://winterolympics.external.bbc.co.uk/hockey/resultsandschedules/index.html

Tuesday: USA v Swiss (20:00); wh; Canada v Norway (00:30); wh; Russia v Latvia (05:00)
Wednesday: Finland v Belarus (20:00); wh; Sweden v Germany (00:30); wh; Czech v Slovakia (05:00)
Thursday: USA v Norway (20:00); wh; Swiss v Canada (00:30); wh; Slovakia v Russia (05:00)
Friday: Belarus v Sweden (20:00); Czech v Latvia (00:30); Finland v Germany (05:00)
Saturday: Norway v Swiss (20:00); wh; Latvia v Slovakia (00:30); Germany v Belarus (05:00)
Sunday: Russia v Czech (20:00); Canada v USA (00:40); Sweden v Finland (05:00)
Wednesday 24th: quarterfinals, running from 20:00 to 05:00
Friday 26th: semifinals, at 20:00 and 02:30
Saturday 27th: bronze match at 03:00
Sunday 28th: gold match at 20:15

To be honest, the early matches are pretty guff until Sunday.

Group A
Canada
USA
Swiss
Norway

Group B
Russia
Czech
Slovakia
Latvia

Group C
Sweden
Finland
Germany
Belarus

With 3 groups how do they define the top 8 qualifiers for the quarter final placings?

Killiehibbie
15-02-2010, 06:50 PM
With 3 groups how do they define the top 8 qualifiers for the quarter final placings?

Must be the top 2+2 best 3rd place teams

PC Stamp
15-02-2010, 06:58 PM

The 12 teams in the men's event are split into three groups of four teams. Following the completion of the group games all teams will be ranked 1 to 12 based on points. The top four ranked teams receive byes to the quarter finals, with the remaining eight teams going into the hat for an elimination round for the remaining four quarter final positions. Following that, the final 8 teams will compete in the quarter finals, down to 4 for the semi finals and then the final 2 meet in the final to determine the gold/silver medalist. The 2 losing semi finalists play off for bronze.

FWIW Higgy, I wouldn't be putting my money on Canada! They may well win it this year but it's far from being a safe bet IMHO!

Part/Time Supporter
15-02-2010, 07:06 PM
I remember reading a while about somebody fancying Finland at 20 odd/1, his reasoning being they had a lot of top players and would be underestimated. I know nothing about Ice Hockey and didn't even back them.

Jambos of hockey, normally have a reasonable defence and a good goalie, but are utter ***** to watch for more than 2 minutes.

ie an outside bet if Kiprusoff has a ridiculously good tournament, but that isn't that likely and even if he does, Canada / Russia should have far too much in the forward areas.

Higgy115
15-02-2010, 07:15 PM
FWIW Higgy, I wouldn't be putting my money on Canada! They may well win it this year but it's far from being a safe bet IMHO!

Cheers PC, i will have a small wager only. My cousin over there advised the Blackhawks at the start of the season who are going well, he is usually pessimistic about the national team but has hope this year.

Sick Boy
15-02-2010, 08:58 PM
Everyone I've spoken to here is quietly confident about Canada's chances. They know their recent record in Olympic tournaments isn't great but feel the squad of players should be good enough to get them gold.

Most of the chat last week was whether Ryan Getzlaf would be fit enough to be included. He did play for the Ducks against Edmonton on Sunday night so it's looking more likely that he'll make it.

No chance of getting a ticket for any of Team Canada's games but I'm going to see Belarus v Sweden on Friday and looking forward to it immensely.:thumbsup:

H18sry
16-02-2010, 08:19 AM
The 12 teams in the men's event are split into three groups of four teams. Following the completion of the group games all teams will be ranked 1 to 12 based on points. The top four ranked teams receive byes to the quarter finals, with the remaining eight teams going into the hat for an elimination round for the remaining four quarter final positions. Following that, the final 8 teams will compete in the quarter finals, down to 4 for the semi finals and then the final 2 meet in the final to determine the gold/silver medalist. The 2 losing semi finalists play off for bronze.

:thumbsup: Cheers C, nice and easy then to work out for the masses. :devil:

PC Stamp
16-02-2010, 12:15 PM
Jambos of hockey, normally have a reasonable defence and a good goalie, but are utter ***** to watch for more than 2 minutes.

ie an outside bet if Kiprusoff has a ridiculously good tournament, but that isn't that likely and even if he does, Canada / Russia should have far too much in the forward areas.

Kipper has been the one shining light of brilliance in what has turned into a ****in' nightmare season for the Calgary Flames. I could count on a couple of fingers the games he's played poorly in this season whilst in the main he's kept the Flames in the hunt night after night despite their forwards more often than not looking like they couldn't score in the proverbial barrel of fannies! :wink:

Part/Time Supporter
16-02-2010, 10:11 PM
USA beat Switzerland 3-1 in the first game, read on the facebook update feed like it was a bit unconvincing, although the Swiss do have a NHL goalie in Hiller (Ducks).

GhostofBolivar
17-02-2010, 02:38 AM
USA beat Switzerland 3-1 in the first game, read on the facebook update feed like it was a bit unconvincing, although the Swiss do have a NHL goalie in Hiller (Ducks).

The Swiss have quite a few NHLers or NHL prospects. The US were solid, they weren't really tested and did what they had to.

Canada were good.

--------
17-02-2010, 12:36 PM

Just so's y'all know - this wasn't me. This was someone else who knows about hockey.

Me, I just like the fights. :devil:

GhostofBolivar
17-02-2010, 05:06 PM
Just so's y'all know - this wasn't me. This was someone else who knows about hockey.

Me, I just like the fights. :devil:

Yeah, sorry about that.

Also, I would give up my right lung to see Shea Weber on the Leafs.

Part/Time Supporter
19-02-2010, 07:37 AM
Best game of the tournament so far last night, Switzerland took Canada to a shootout (http://winterolympics.external.bbc.co.uk/hockey/resultsandschedules/match=IHM400A04/index.html), but were finally beaten by Crosby scoring the only goal in the fourth round of shots (http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/olympic_games/vancouver_2010/ice_hockey/8523353.stm). Hiller had a great game, but they actually outplayed Canada for most of the second period (and then kind of hung on for dear life for the rest).

Then another surprise in the late game as the Slovaks beat the Russians in another shootout (http://winterolympics.external.bbc.co.uk/hockey/resultsandschedules/match=IHM400B03/index.html).

Andy74
19-02-2010, 11:44 AM
Never thought I'd say this about any sport but of the games I've seen the women's games have been the best to watch.

Plenty technique, passing, interplay and great finishing.

When you see the mens games it's really bitty in comparison, a lot of stramashes and slashing the sticks about trying to get posession and then slapping each other about off the walls.

Whilst that may be more of what the game is all about for some is the women's game actually better to watch to see the actual pass and move part of it??

I also noticed a few cuties in the women's curling too - never thought I'd say that either.

GhostofBolivar
19-02-2010, 08:18 PM
Never thought I'd say this about any sport but of the games I've seen the women's games have been the best to watch.

When you see the mens games it's really bitty in comparison, a lot of stramashes and slashing the sticks about trying to get posession and then slapping each other about off the walls.

Whilst that may be more of what the game is all about for some is the women's game actually better to watch to see the actual pass and move part of it??

I also noticed a few cuties in the women's curling too - never thought I'd say that either.

The women have been pretty poor, tbh. I've watched some of Canada's games and there's no real direction at all. There's no competition whatsoever. So all that happens is vastly more talented players circle around the net with the puck. None of their opponents are good enough to get near them, so they mess about on the perimeter until the opposition get tired and defensive breakdowns begin to happen. Then they score.

As far as I can tell, the only variation in play is when the opponents make really stupid decisions instead of getting tired.

It's really rather predictable.

--------
20-02-2010, 01:04 PM

THAT's what the game IS all about. Not just for some, Andy. I don't think hockey's descended from field hockey as played at school. IIRC it's actually derived from shinty - in other words, yet another Scots contribution to culture, civilisation and bloodshed throughout the world. :devil: There are old references to 'Shinney' being played in Nova Scotia - on skates, with 'hurling sticks', aka camans - in the 19th century.

Other ancestors of the game were played by the Native Canadians - I'd guess that those weren't exactly played according to anything approximating to the Queensberry Rules either. I reckon that when the Scots migrants first played the native Mi'kmaqs, the game was born. Below an illustration of the early days....

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/4/4a/Good_old_days_of_ice_hockey.png/800px-Good_old_days_of_ice_hockey.png (http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/4/4a/Good_old_days_of_ice_hockey.png)

FWIW, the women are really peeved that they play to stricter rules than the men do - take the physical aspects out of it, and it may be different, but it's not hockey.

And mismatches ending 13-0 or 18-0 aren't entertaining, IMO. I believe that one of the qualifiers ended up something like 87-0.

GhostofBolivar
21-02-2010, 01:08 AM
THAT's what the game IS all about. Not just for some, Andy. I don't think hockey's descended from field hockey as played at school. IIRC it's actually derived from shinty - in other words, yet another Scots contribution to culture, civilisation and bloodshed throughout the world. :devil: There are old references to 'Shinney' being played in Nova Scotia - on skates, with 'hurling sticks', aka camans - in the 19th century.

Other ancestors of the game were played by the Native Canadians - I'd guess that those weren't exactly played according to anything approximating to the Queensberry Rules either. I reckon that when the Scots migrants first played the native Mi'kmaqs, the game was born.

FWIW, the women are really peeved that they play to stricter rules than the men do - take the physical aspects out of it, and it may be different, but it's not hockey.

There's an old Canadian joke: I went to a fight and a hockey match broke out.

There's as much skill and judgement in a clean hit - especially an open-ice hit - as there is in puck handling. One of the things that impresses me most about hockey players is the skill set they possess. Not only do they have the hand-eye co-ordination and touch to pass and shoot with high accuracy; not only are most of these guys world-class skaters; but they can do it all with a 220lb defenceman hanging off them.

And mismatches ending 13-0 or 18-0 aren't entertaining, IMO. I believe that one of the qualifiers ended up something like 87-0.

In qualification for Vancouver, the Slovakian women beat Bulgaria 82-0. That's a goal every 44 seconds. They were 31-0 after the first period and scored their last five goals in the final 90 seconds of the match. I dunno what the coach was doing, but I'd have been telling them not to shoot long before that point. It obviously wasn't anywhere near competitive and, frankly, a scoreline like that embarrasses the Slovakians as much as their opponents.

It also means they have no right to complain at Canada running the score up against them.

ArabHibee
21-02-2010, 08:49 PM
Anyone know what time the big match is tonight? Canada -v- USA?

Thinking about staying up to watch it but not sure what time its on?

Hibbie_Cameron
21-02-2010, 08:53 PM
Its about 00.45:agree:

I thought it was on last night, gonna miss it now:grr:

ArabHibee
21-02-2010, 09:48 PM
Its about 00.45:agree:

I thought it was on last night, gonna miss it now:grr:

Hmmm. That's late. Not sure if I can stay awake until then. We'll see as I would rather watch it live. Cheers for letting me know.

Calvin
22-02-2010, 12:04 AM
No chance of getting a ticket for any of Team Canada's games but I'm going to see Belarus v Sweden on Friday and looking forward to it immensely.:thumbsup:
How was the game?

I don't generally like Ice Hockey, especially the Icing rule, but I'm gonna watch this game.

Marabou Stork
22-02-2010, 12:25 AM
The Canadian defence has been atrocious. Brodeur is trying his best to hand the game to the yanks, but it's not over yet by any stretch. I'm fancying Canada to come back into this.

Marabou Stork
22-02-2010, 12:29 AM
There's an old Canadian joke: I went to a fight and a hockey match broke out.

There's as much skill and judgement in a clean hit - especially an open-ice hit - as there is in puck handling. One of the things that impresses me most about hockey players is the skill set they possess. Not only do they have the hand-eye co-ordination and touch to pass and shoot with high accuracy; not only are most of these guys world-class skaters; but they can do it all with a 220lb defenceman hanging off them.

There's nothing quite like seeing a big open ice hit.

Ovechkin's destruction of Jagr earlier is one of the best I've seen in quite a while.

YouTube - Ovechkin Destroys Jagr (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rZwNlVh4W0k)

Part/Time Supporter
22-02-2010, 07:25 AM
The Canadian defence has been atrocious. Brodeur is trying his best to hand the game to the yanks, but it's not over yet by any stretch. I'm fancying Canada to come back into this.

Canada deep in the **** now (http://winterolympics.external.bbc.co.uk/hockey/standings/gender=m/medalRound.html)

Has to beat Germany (which they should), just to play Russia in the 1/4 final and possibly Sweden in the 1/2 final, all that just to reach the gold medal match. Ouch.

:greengrin

Getting taken to OT by the Swiss is really coming back to bite them on the arse, because if they had won that in regulation (or taken the States to OT) they would have replaced Finland as the best runner up and gone straight through to the 1/4 final.

Sylar
22-02-2010, 08:43 AM
Brilliant game - wasn't expecting a win, but we thoroughly deserved it!

:thumbsup:

PC Stamp
22-02-2010, 09:43 AM
Mike Isacock, sorry Babcock looks way out of his depth .... just like his Redwings team has for most of the season. He has NO idea who to match up on his lines. He persists for example with the Sharks line which has done hee haw and drops a netminder who would be on top of his game in front of his own crowd in Vancouver after a shut out against Norway. After a pish poor first period against Norway he teams up Crosby & Iginla and wallop - hat trick for Iggy and 3 assists for Sid the Kid! Then he goes back to the same failed lines for Switzerland & USA - a spawny win and a boots in the baws defeat!

I did say Canada would struggle! :wink:

Then again maybe they could lodge a protest about the American team's helmets? :faf:

Hibbie_Cameron
22-02-2010, 03:35 PM
Were the flames representing Canada last night:wink::bitchy:

Higgy115
22-02-2010, 07:31 PM
Mike Isacock, sorry Babcock looks way out of his depth .... just like his Redwings team has for most of the season. He has NO idea who to match up on his lines. He persists for example with the Sharks line which has done hee haw and drops a netminder who would be on top of his game in front of his own crowd in Vancouver after a shut out against Norway. After a pish poor first period against Norway he teams up Crosby & Iginla and wallop - hat trick for Iggy and 3 assists for Sid the Kid! Then he goes back to the same failed lines for Switzerland & USA - a spawny win and a boots in the baws defeat!

I did say Canada would struggle! :wink:

Then again maybe they could lodge a protest about the American team's helmets? :faf:

You did warn us PC....

Hopefully now it is straight knock out they will wind their necks in and start playing. Has Brodeur been injured, just seemed very lethargic/slow last night.

Part/Time Supporter
22-02-2010, 08:05 PM
You did warn us PC....

Hopefully now it is straight knock out they will wind their necks in and start playing. Has Brodeur been injured, just seemed very lethargic/slow last night.

The excuse du jour is that the ice is too rough (due to playing 2/3 matches per day) for a goaltender who likes to come out of his net and pass it around a bit. Normally the Olympics / World Championship rules would favour a goaltender like Brodeur because they aren't restricted in the areas they can play the puck (no trapezoid thingy as in NHL games (http://www.cbc.ca/sports/hockey/story/2009/11/10/sp-hockey-gm-meetings.html)). I think it helped the Americans that they had a couple of players who played with Brodeur a long time in New Jersey (ie Rafalski and Langenbrunner), who were able to read what he was going to do, this particularly applied to the US second goal (http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=518488).

Part/Time Supporter
23-02-2010, 03:21 PM
Brodeur dropped; Burke unhappy with US performances (http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/othersports/winter-olympics/7297721/Winter-Olympics-2010-Canada-drop-goalkeeper-Martin-Brodeur-for-Roberto-Luongo-after-ice-hockey-defeat-against-USA.html)

GhostofBolivar
24-02-2010, 01:06 AM
Holy netbursting shot, Batman!

Shea Weber is amazing :eek::flamed:

scott7_0(Prague)
24-02-2010, 07:33 AM
Keep an eye on the Czechs, they nearly ****ed it up this morning, but when they are under pressure they sometimes can produce the goods, Jagr is hitting form and we might stand a wee chance.

Cesi do toho!!

Incidentally, did you see the Slovak player Luboš Bartečko hit the ice this morning?

OUCH.....

http://im.sport.cz/472/124724-article-bsivk.jpg

Part/Time Supporter
24-02-2010, 08:54 AM
Holy netbursting shot, Batman!

Shea Weber is amazing :eek::flamed:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/olympic_games/vancouver_2010/ice_hockey/8534017.stm

I just saw it, but how is that phsyically possible?

:confused:

Sylar
24-02-2010, 01:03 PM
I'm fancying a USA vs Canada rematch for the Gold - here's hoping for the same outcome too :wink:

Higgy115
24-02-2010, 01:21 PM
I'm fancying a USA vs Canada rematch for the Gold - here's hoping for the same outcome too :wink:

Certainly looks like USA v AN OTHER, what time is final on over here, middle of night?

Russian Hibs Fan
24-02-2010, 01:44 PM
Russia v Canada tonight! All Russian will be watching it from the 3.30 russian time. Hockey is a very popular here. Come on Russia!!!!!!:rolleyes:

PC Stamp
24-02-2010, 04:47 PM
Well darn me .... Iginla & Crosby on the same line and a double for Iginla.
Someone must have banged Bigcock I mean Babcock on the heid!
OK it was only the Germans but the fact is they created the chances!

GhostofBolivar
24-02-2010, 05:59 PM
Certainly looks like USA v AN OTHER, what time is final on over here, middle of night?

8.30 or there abouts.

GhostofBolivar
24-02-2010, 06:18 PM
http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/olympic_games/vancouver_2010/ice_hockey/8534017.stm

I just saw it, but how is that phsyically possible?

:confused:

Apparently it happened during the NCAA tournament last year. Last night it happened because Weber's a beast who has a cannon of a shot.

He's 6'4", 230. The butt-end of the stick he uses would come up to my shoulder. According to someone who has one of his sticks (http://www.pensionplanpuppets.com/2009/12/28/1221789/like-the-leafs-ian-white-santa) there is absolutely no flex in it at all.

That puck would have been doing well over 100 mph. The twine didn't even slow it down.

Astonishing.

--------
24-02-2010, 09:31 PM
ABTY. :devil:

Part/Time Supporter
24-02-2010, 09:50 PM
Apparently it happened during the NCAA tournament last year. Last night it happened because Weber's a beast who has a cannon of a shot.

He's 6'4", 230. The butt-end of the stick he uses would come up to my shoulder. According to someone who has one of his sticks (http://www.pensionplanpuppets.com/2009/12/28/1221789/like-the-leafs-ian-white-santa) there is absolutely no flex in it at all.

That puck would have been doing well over 100 mph. The twine didn't even slow it down.

Astonishing.

And now we have the Yanks not scoring a goal that crossed the line with literally 0.0 seconds remaining (of the second period). I thought it was going to be the night for the Swiss to pull off the upset until they had a puck bounce out from the inside of the post.

--------
24-02-2010, 10:03 PM
And now we have the Yanks not scoring a goal that crossed the line with literally 0.0 seconds remaining (of the second period). I thought it was going to be the night for the Swiss to pull off the upset until they had a puck bounce out from the inside of the post.

SWMBO was watching that match and SHE says the puck crossed the line just out of time.

And SWMBO is always right. :agree:

--------
24-02-2010, 10:22 PM
There's nothing quite like seeing a big open ice hit.

Ovechkin's destruction of Jagr earlier is one of the best I've seen in quite a while.

[/URL]

The IOC seem to have stopped that link, Stork.

However, a YouTube search on "Ovechkin Hits" will lead to an entertaining 15 minutes or so.

Alexander Ovechkin -the thinking man's Terminator. :devil:

Not that he couldnae score a goal or two as well ....

YouTube - Alexander Ovechkin hits and goals (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BioWr_ylxiY)

scott7_0(Prague)
25-02-2010, 03:28 AM
7-3 Canada over the Ruskies, they look strong, currently 0.0 with us Czech's into the 3rd period, USA wait for the winners of Czechs/Finland!

Come on CZ.

GhostofBolivar
25-02-2010, 05:21 AM

No. That's Wendel Clark.

YouTube - A tribute to Wendel Clark - All Heart! (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_7XgYSoK1go)

--------
25-02-2010, 08:20 PM
No. That's Wendel Clark.

YouTube - A tribute to Wendel Clark - All Heart! (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_7XgYSoK1go)

I stand corrected.

I see what you mean.... All heart. :rolleyes:

PC Stamp
25-02-2010, 08:38 PM
The IOC seem to have stopped that link, Stork.

However, a YouTube search on "Ovechkin Hits" will lead to an entertaining 15 minutes or so.

Not that he couldnae score a goal or two as well ....

YouTube - Alexander Ovechkin hits and goals (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BioWr_ylxiY)

Didn't see him terminating any Canadians Doddie. :wink:
They are starting to look like a team at last.
Mind you, Kipper looks in good form for the Finns. :greengrin

Part/Time Supporter
25-02-2010, 09:07 PM

Malkin was malkied at the third goal.

--------
26-02-2010, 07:31 PM
WHat on earth is going on?

USA 6-0 over Finalnd, 6 minutes of the first period left....

:shocked: :shocked: :shocked:

GhostofBolivar
26-02-2010, 07:38 PM

Should have started Nittymaki...

GhostofBolivar
26-02-2010, 07:50 PM
WHat on earth is going on?

USA 6-0 over Finalnd, 6 minutes of the first period left....

:shocked: :shocked: :shocked:

Fundamentally, the formula for success in hockey is simple. Good goaltending and timely scoring. The US are getting both. Sweden, Russia and now Finland have suffered because good goalies have underperformed.

The Americans are good. Excellent goaltending, solid team D, lots of speed and three or four scorers as good as anyone this side of Crosby, Malkin and Ovie.

Brian Burke put together a very good team that should never have been 9-1 for gold. To be honest, an American victory wouldn't upset me. There are too many players on that team I like and I have too much respect for Burke as a man. He deserves a bit of happiness after the last couple of weeks.

GhostofBolivar
26-02-2010, 09:40 PM

Interesting reading (http://www.japersrink.com/2010/2/26/1326018/welcome-home-alex-ovechkin)

James.
26-02-2010, 09:40 PM
Brian Burke put together a very good team that should never have been 9-1 for gold. To be honest, an American victory wouldn't upset me. There are too many players on that team I like and I have too much respect for Burke as a man. He deserves a bit of happiness after the last couple of weeks.

Brian Burke has made me eat my words from earlier on in this post that is for sure, I thought they would struggle and felt 9-1 was a fair reflection of where they were at but they've been pretty good. Still think the man is a t1t though and hope they get papped in the final :agree:

GhostofBolivar
26-02-2010, 10:16 PM
Brian Burke has made me eat my words from earlier on in this post that is for sure, I thought they would struggle and felt 9-1 was a fair reflection of where they were at but they've been pretty good. Still think the man is a t1t though and hope they get papped in the final :agree:

I would contend that Brian Burke is a fundamentally good man (http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/vault/article/magazine/MAG1166489/1/index.htm)

James.
26-02-2010, 10:56 PM
I would contend that Brian Burke is a fundamentally good man (http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/vault/article/magazine/MAG1166489/1/index.htm)

Nice read and I do not dispute that he was a good father but as a GM he's a bully and a baby (sniping at Lowe), completely disrespectful (way he went on about Habs fans last summer), arrogant (Tavares) and a complete media whore (where to begin on that one)

PC Stamp
26-02-2010, 11:25 PM
Should have started Nittymaki...

Why would they throw a guy into an Olympic semi final when their starting netminder had done pretty much nowt wrong up until today?

Not Kipper's best day but every nettie is entitled to an off day ... even Martin Brodeur!

That said, it would be good from your point of view if the Maple Leafs netties had an occasional on day :wink:

H18sry
28-02-2010, 04:41 PM
A Sunday Prayer:

Our Father whom art in Vancouver, hockey be thy name. Thy will be done, the gold will be won, on ice as well as in the stands. Give us this day, our hockey sticks, and forgive us our penalties as we forgive those who cross check against us. Lead us not into elimination but deliver us to victory.... In the name of the Canadian hockey team, AMEN GO CANADA GO!!!!!:thumbsup:

stu in nottingham
28-02-2010, 04:57 PM
A Sunday Prayer:

Our Father whom art in Vancouver, hockey be thy name. Thy will be done, the gold will be won, on ice as well as in the stands. Give us this day, our hockey sticks, and forgive us our penalties as we forgive those who cross check against us. Lead us not into elimination but deliver us to victory.... In the name of the Canadian hockey team, AMEN GO CANADA GO!!!!!:thumbsup:

Amen brother.

True patriot love in all thy sons command.
With glowing hearts we see thee rise,
The True North strong and free!
From far and wide, O Canada,
We stand on guard for thee.

GO CANADA!

Sylar
28-02-2010, 08:08 PM
Bad first period for us - tons of possession but an inability to finish off the chances we've created. I still refuse to believe that the Canadians have outshot us!!!

Our D have looked pretty solid, and Orpik and Kessel are giving as good as the Canadians are giving in terms of hits.

Crosby has been an enigma thus far - long may it continue!

F*** Canada! :devil:

Sylar
28-02-2010, 08:19 PM
2-0.

I repeat - F*** Canada (and all you plastic Hosers) :agree: :greengrin

Sylar
28-02-2010, 08:31 PM
2-1 - Kessler :thumbsup:

H18sry
28-02-2010, 09:03 PM
GO CANADA :dummytit:

Sylar
28-02-2010, 09:07 PM

You should have been a Celtc fan! :wink:

ArabHibee
28-02-2010, 09:10 PM

This.

:greengrin

Sylar
28-02-2010, 09:11 PM
Plastic Eh-holes :wink:

Hibbie_Cameron
28-02-2010, 09:15 PM
I cant help but think Canada are going to blow this. They should have had this wrapped up imo.

Tense last 6

Sylar
28-02-2010, 09:17 PM
I cant help but think Canada are going to blow this. They should have had this wrapped up imo.

Tense last 6

I can't see it - we don't look like threatening - Canada look dangerous every time they flood forward!

They certainly have lacked a clinical touch.

Luongo has been solid from the word go.

Hibbie_Cameron
28-02-2010, 09:18 PM
I can't see it - we don't look like threatening - Canada look dangerous every time they flood forward!

Thats why im worried. It should be over

Sylar
28-02-2010, 09:22 PM
Crosby should have sealed the deal there.

Poor miss (:thumbsup:)

Hibbie_Cameron
28-02-2010, 09:22 PM
God Almighty Crosby:grr:

Removed
28-02-2010, 09:24 PM

What's with all the 'we' stuff :confused: Are you actually American?

Edit: He is folks :agree:

Oh and Canada just scored in OT :greengrin

ArabHibee
28-02-2010, 09:27 PM
My passport seems to suggest so.

Deary me. :bitchy:

Sylar
28-02-2010, 09:28 PM
YES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

2-2!!!!!!!!

:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

Hibbie_Cameron
28-02-2010, 09:28 PM
Bloody knew it

ArabHibee
28-02-2010, 09:30 PM
Well, one of my passports seem to suggest so :wink:

I need to get one of those ABA t-shirts. :greengrin

Sylar
28-02-2010, 09:31 PM
What will you do when we play England?! :wink:

PC Stamp
28-02-2010, 09:32 PM
What will you do when we play England?! :wink:

Hope for a draw which ultimately eliminates both teams. :wink:

Hibbie_Cameron
28-02-2010, 09:36 PM
Whats the predictions for OT then guys?

I think USA are gonna sneak it, Canada have missed too many chances

ArabHibee
28-02-2010, 09:36 PM
Hope for a draw which ultimately eliminates both teams. :wink:

:thumbsup:Sounds good to me.

---------- Post added at 10:36 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:36 PM ----------

Me too.

Sylar
28-02-2010, 09:38 PM

I still can't see past a Canadian win to be honest - we've offered very little and are struggling to create anything in the offensive zone. Canada are missing chances, but at least they're getting into positions to create them!

PC Stamp
28-02-2010, 09:43 PM
Crosby has had a pretty poor tourney so far. Might he suddenly burst into life in OT?

Psychologically however it must be advantage USA.

Hibbie_Cameron
28-02-2010, 09:52 PM
Thought Iggy had done it there

Sylar
28-02-2010, 09:52 PM
Crosby has had a pretty poor tourney so far. Might he suddenly burst into life in OT?

What an onslaught from Canada to start off OT!

If it weren't for Millar, this would be over!

Hibbie_Cameron
28-02-2010, 09:54 PM
HE'S DONE IT!!!

Had to be Crosby:thumbsup:

ArabHibee

Good shout Cliff!

:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

PC Stamp

Get in there Sid the Kid!!!! :thumbsup:

And the assist to IGGY!! Go Canada ... Go Flames :greengrin

Sylar
Anyone but that Penguin c**ksucker :boo hoo:

Deserved Canadian victory - well done to them :agree:

ArabHibee
28-02-2010, 10:03 PM
Anyone but that Penguin c**ksucker :boo hoo:

Deserved Canadian victory - well done to them :agree:

http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/36/36_6_3.gif

http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/26/26_7_8.gif

stu in nottingham
28-02-2010, 11:57 PM
Well done Canada.

Deserved.

--------
01-03-2010, 12:08 AM
PHEEEEEWWWWW!

Just come down off the ceiling.

GO CANADA!

Joy will be unconfined among the Ontario rellies.

:partyhibb:partyhibb:partyhibb:partyhibb:partyhibb :partyhibb:partyhibb:partyhibb

Billy
01-03-2010, 12:24 AM
If you enjoyed tonights game, then come along to Murrayfield and watch the Edinburgh Capitals.

With a 2pm kick off at Easter Road, it gives you plenty of time to get across the city.

A wee preview of how the Caps have been doing this season

http://h1bby01.mediashare.com?selectedalbum=h1bby01440718

Monts
01-03-2010, 12:42 AM
Luuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu!!!! :thumbsup:

H18sry
01-03-2010, 08:00 AM
:devil:▌♥ ▌ Go Canada Go ▌♥ ▌ ...ø¤º°¨¨¨°º¤ø ¸„ø¤CANADAº°¨¨°º¤ø ¸„ø¤º°¨¨°º¤ø ¸CANADAº¤ø ¸„ø¤º°¨¨°º¤ø ¸„ø¤CANADAº°¨¨°º¤ø ¸„ø¤º°¨¨°º¤ø ¸„CANADAº¤ø ¸„ø¤º°¨¨°º¤ø ¸„ø CANADAº°¨¨°º¤ø ¸„ø¤º°¨¨°º¤ø ¸„CANADAº¤ø ¸„ø¤º°¨¨°º¤ø ø¤º°¨¨¨°º¤ø ¸„ø¤CANADAº°¨¨°º¤ø ¸„ø¤º°¨¨°º¤ø ¸„CANADAº¤ø ¸„ø¤º°¨¨°º¤ø !CANADA!!! GOLD GOLD GOLD :devil:

--------
01-03-2010, 11:50 AM
If you enjoyed tonights game, then come along to Murrayfield and watch the Edinburgh Capitals.

With a 2pm kick off at Easter Road, it gives you plenty of time to get across the city.

[/URL][URL]http://h1bby01.mediashare.com?selectedalbum=h1bby01440718 (http://h1bby01.mediashare.com?selectedalbum=h1bby01440718 )

Is that shot in slow-mo? :devil:

:wink:

Hibbie_Cameron
01-03-2010, 02:34 PM
Looking back on it, the match was a great advertisment for the sport, especially with it being on cooncil tv.

Was at work this morning and people were coming up to me (knowing im a fan) and saying how much they enjoyed watching it:agree:

Sylar
01-03-2010, 02:51 PM
:devil:▌♥ ▌ Go Canada Go ▌♥ ▌ ...ø¤º°¨¨¨°º¤ø ¸„ø¤CANADAº°¨¨°º¤ø ¸„ø¤º°¨¨°º¤ø ¸CANADAº¤ø ¸„ø¤º°¨¨°º¤ø ¸„ø¤CANADAº°¨¨°º¤ø ¸„ø¤º°¨¨°º¤ø ¸„CANADAº¤ø ¸„ø¤º°¨¨°º¤ø ¸„ø CANADAº°¨¨°º¤ø ¸„ø¤º°¨¨°º¤ø ¸„CANADAº¤ø ¸„ø¤º°¨¨°º¤ø ø¤º°¨¨¨°º¤ø ¸„ø¤CANADAº°¨¨°º¤ø ¸„ø¤º°¨¨°º¤ø ¸„CANADAº¤ø ¸„ø¤º°¨¨°º¤ø !CANADA!!! GOLD GOLD GOLD :devil:

Definately should have been a tim.

Don-hibee
01-03-2010, 02:52 PM

Think Jack Regan might disagree with you on that one :devil:

PC Stamp
01-03-2010, 03:47 PM
Looking back on it, the match was a great advertisment for the sport, especially with it being on cooncil tv.

Was at work this morning and people were coming up to me (knowing im a fan) and saying how much they enjoyed watching it:agree:

Tell them to get along to Murrayfield this weekend mate. Edinburgh Capitals take on Belfast Giants Saturday 6pm & Sunday 6pm. Belfast always bring a good boisterous crowd over and the atmosphere will be great! :thumbsup:

Hibbie_Cameron
01-03-2010, 03:50 PM
Tell them to get along to Murrayfield this weekend mate. Edinburgh Capitals take on Belfast Giants Saturday 6pm & Sunday 6pm. Belfast always bring a good boisterous crowd over and the atmosphere will be great! :thumbsup:

I might go myself. How much is it Cliff?

H18sry
01-03-2010, 04:14 PM

:dummytit::dummytit::dummytit: Grow a set :devil:

Sylar
01-03-2010, 04:29 PM
:dummytit::dummytit::dummytit: Grow a set :devil:

:wink:

PC Stamp
01-03-2010, 07:42 PM
I might go myself. How much is it Cliff?

£15 for an adult Cam, or £11 for student concession if that applies and £7 for kids.
Family tickets for 2 adults and 2 kids are £37.

lyonhibs
01-03-2010, 08:05 PM
What brilliant tension. I must admit, I thought Canada (or Canadia as some BBC dumpling referred to them in the excitement!! :faf:) had blown it, but the 4 vs 4 idea is a great one and I'm glad they won it, especially with The Great One watching :agree:

stu in nottingham
01-03-2010, 08:29 PM

I enjoyed Eurosport's coverage more, Cam. Ballard and Brent Pope's commentary I find very pedestrian, (a bit like Pope's play when has was at the Nottingham Panthers!) Richard Boprey and Paul Romanuck on Eurosport are much better informed and very entertaining.

Hibbie_Cameron
01-03-2010, 09:03 PM
I enjoyed Eurosport's coverage more, Cam. Ballard and Brent Pope's commentary I find very pedestrian, (a bit like Pope's play when has was at the Nottingham Panthers!) Richard Boprey and Paul Romanuck on Eurosport are much better informed and very entertaining.

I was watching it in my room on the freeview, so unfortunatly never had the Eurosport option. I was pretty annoyed that the expert panel were Mackem Cramb, a skier and a rower but over all i was glad such a game was so readily available

ArabHibee
01-03-2010, 10:05 PM

The Canadian bloke doing the commentary on the BBC coverage sounded like John Barrowman!! :dizzy:

stu in nottingham
02-03-2010, 12:59 AM
The Canadian bloke doing the commentary on the BBC coverage sounded like John Barrowman!! :dizzy:

That's Brent Pope. He used to play defense for the Nottingham Panthers a little like John Barrowman. :tee hee:

GhostofBolivar
02-03-2010, 01:58 AM
That's Brent Pope. He used to play defense for the Nottingham Panthers a little like John Barrowman. :tee hee:

He played professionally? :confused:

The guy sounded like he'd never seen a game in his life. He had absolutely no idea what was going on. :bitchy:

The BBC would have done better taking me to Vancouver to do colour commentary for them. :agree:

stu in nottingham
02-03-2010, 02:34 AM
He played professionally? :confused:

The guy sounded like he'd never seen a game in his life. He had absolutely no idea what was going on. :bitchy:

The BBC would have done better taking me to Vancouver to do colour commentary for them. :agree:

Yes he did, incredible though that is:

http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/pdisplay.php?pid=4343 (http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/pdisplay.php?pid=4343)

I agree, he is absolutely clueless, as is his co-commentator, Bob Ballard.

--------
03-03-2010, 09:46 AM
Yes he did, incredible though that is:

[/URL][url]http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/pdisplay.php?pid=4343 (http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/pdisplay.php?pid=4343)

I agree, he is absolutely clueless, as is his co-commentator, Bob Ballard.

Its CNS, stu - Charlie Nicholas Syndrome.

He played, so even if he's as clueless as a Florida mob hit, he must be able to commentate....

There's also the BFV - the Brendan Foster Variation. He may be most boring man on earth, but he once one a Bronze Medal somewhere, so we'll give him a job.

stu in nottingham
03-03-2010, 11:30 AM
Its CNS, stu - Charlie Nicholas Syndrome.

He played, so even if he's as clueless as a Florida mob hit, he must be able to commentate....

There's also the BFV - the Brendan Foster Variation. He may be most boring man on earth, but he once one a Bronze Medal somewhere, so we'll give him a job.

I know what you mean Doddie but even though he's a bit of a twat at least Charlie boy could play a bit. :) Pope had a skating style reminiscent of a beer barrel rolling down the ice.

--------
03-03-2010, 11:42 AM
I know what you mean Doddie but even though he's a bit of a twat at least Charlie boy could play a bit. :) Pope had a skating style reminiscent of a beer barrel rolling down the ice.

Ah. Slower than the Zamboni, then?

stu in nottingham
03-03-2010, 01:46 PM
Ah. Slower than the Zamboni, then?

Approximately the same turning circle. :wink:

Hibbie_Cameron
03-03-2010, 03:41 PM
£15 for an adult Cam, or £11 for student concession if that applies and £7 for kids.
Family tickets for 2 adults and 2 kids are £37.

Can i pay at the door or is it advised to buy in advance?

Got nothing better to do on saturday so will give it a go

PC Stamp
03-03-2010, 07:11 PM
Can i pay at the door or is it advised to buy in advance?

Got nothing better to do on saturday so will give it a go

Pay at the door is as easy Cam. Should be a decent crowd Saturday but nowhere near a sell out unfortunately!

Hibbie_Cameron
03-03-2010, 09:23 PM
Pay at the door is as easy Cam. Should be a decent crowd Saturday but nowhere near a sell out unfortunately!

Cool, will try and get there in plenty of time just incase. Hopefully catch up with you there?

PC Stamp
04-03-2010, 12:04 AM
Cool, will try and get there in plenty of time just incase. Hopefully catch up with you there?

Pop into the DJ booth at the far end during one of the breaks bud .... that's where I'll be!

GhostofBolivar
04-03-2010, 02:00 AM
Pop into the DJ booth at the far end during one of the breaks bud .... that's where I'll be!

I might come along as well, just to make fun of the Flames for trading for Toskala :faf:

When does it finish? Cos I have to be at work at half-9.

PC Stamp
04-03-2010, 07:33 AM
I might come along as well, just to make fun of the Flames for trading for Toskala :faf:

When does it finish? Cos I have to be at work at half-9.

Usually done by 8.15. Toskala is a ufa at the end of the season and no worse than what we had. For the limited time remaining this season he doesn't really have a great impact on the salary cap, not that it's relevant now that the deadline has gone. The Flames trades suggest that their level of ambition is to match the recent successes of your team. In fact so much so that rumour has it they may even change their name to the Calgary Maple Leafs. :wink:

The_Todd
04-03-2010, 11:36 AM

http://h1bby01.mediashare.com?selectedalbum=h1bby01440718 (http://h1bby01.mediashare.com?selectedalbum=h1bby01440718 )

I do believe the Caps have home games on Saturday AND Sunday, so if the Olympics has peaked anyone's interest in hockey, there's a perfect opporunity to come along this weekend!

GhostofBolivar
05-03-2010, 01:58 AM
Usually done by 8.15. Toskala is a ufa at the end of the season and no worse than what we had. For the limited time remaining this season he doesn't really have a great impact on the salary cap, not that it's relevant now that the deadline has gone. The Flames trades suggest that their level of ambition is to match the recent successes of your team. In fact so much so that rumour has it they may even change their name to the Calgary Maple Leafs. :wink:

He is much, much worse than what you had.

PC Stamp
05-03-2010, 11:38 AM
He is much, much worse than what you had.

You see much of McElhinney? Worse or not, he'll be gone at the end of the season anyways when Leland Irving will hopefully be promoted to back up so it's a moot point.

Hibbie_Cameron
05-03-2010, 09:02 PM
Ill be there about 5.15 to pay at the door. Going with a couple of mates before we head out for the night. Hopefully see you there Cliff

GhostofBolivar
06-03-2010, 04:54 AM
You see much of McElhinney? Worse or not, he'll be gone at the end of the season anyways when Leland Irving will hopefully be promoted to back up so it's a moot point.

No, but I've seen waaaay more than enough of Toskala. Take my word for it.

And it's not really a moot point until the end of the season. You're now Kipper's groin away from seeing the full gruesome glory of The Vesa's sub-.880 save percentage. The other thing is that you're fighting for a playoff spot with a backup goalie you're terrified to see get any playing time. So even if you make the playoffs, Kipper will be fried from being played too much. Again.

Hibbie_Cameron
07-03-2010, 03:07 PM
I really enjoyed the capitals match last night, Thought they started poorly but came into it later on the game. They killed a hell of a lot of pens in the 2nd and 3rd but sadly the two they failed to kill in the first period gave them a mountain to climb

Some quality fighting and banter with the fans though, my mates are already wanting to go back

PC Stamp
07-03-2010, 09:56 PM
No, but I've seen waaaay more than enough of Toskala. Take my word for it.

And it's not really a moot point until the end of the season. You're now Kipper's groin away from seeing the full gruesome glory of The Vesa's sub-.880 save percentage. The other thing is that you're fighting for a playoff spot with a backup goalie you're terrified to see get any playing time. So even if you make the playoffs, Kipper will be fried from being played too much. Again.

Aye, he was terrifying in his debut game I just watched, making 27 saves as the Flames won 5-2 at Minnesota. Maybe just maybe it was what was in front of him at the "Make Believes" that made him look worse than he really is? You certainly are, being as the NHL stats engine credits him with a .902 save average. :wink:

I really enjoyed the capitals match last night, Thought they started poorly but came into it later on the game. They killed a hell of a lot of pens in the 2nd and 3rd but sadly the two they failed to kill in the first period gave them a mountain to climb

Some quality fighting and banter with the fans though, my mates are already wanting to go back

You missed the better game tonight Cam as the Caps won the 2nd instalment 4-3, scoring twice in the last 5 minutes! Think how bad that ref was last night and then ask yourself how he could possibly be worse tonight!? Well he was! :greengrin

Hibbie_Cameron
07-03-2010, 11:48 PM
You missed the better game tonight Cam as the Caps won the 2nd instalment 4-3, scoring twice in the last 5 minutes! Think how bad that ref was last night and then ask yourself how he could possibly be worse tonight!? Well he was! :greengrin

Was it the same ref? He was abysmal on sat night, my mate had never seen a hockey match apart from the olympic final and i was explaining the rules to him as we watched, even i was baffled with his decisions and "bias" towards Belfast. Best moment was when he fell over in the 3rd.

You had a busy night though, with all those pens, you never had your mic out your hand:agree:

For what its worth i thought if the Caps had scoredon sat night to make it 3-2 they would have gone on to win the game

PC Stamp
08-03-2010, 12:05 AM
Was it the same ref? He was abysmal on sat night, my mate had never seen a hockey match apart from the olympic final and i was explaining the rules to him as we watched, even i was baffled with his decisions and "bias" towards Belfast. Best moment was when he fell over in the 3rd.

You had a busy night though, with all those pens, you never had your mic out your hand:agree:

For what its worth i thought if the Caps had scoredon sat night to make it 3-2 they would have gone on to win the game

Yeah, same ref, Dean Smith and he was probably worse tonight. Caps scored a good goal which he ended up disallowing after a near riot as he had inadvertently sent too many Giants players to the penalty box so he had to backtrack and start the passage of play all over again after making sure the right culprits were boxed! They ended up with 73 minutes in penalties so in fairness his ineptitude probably favoured us tonight whilst it was more in their favour last night! I agree with you FWIW as I thought the Caps played the better hockey Saturday night but the difference was that their netminder stood on his head that game. He played well again Sunday but wasn't just quite as hot! Good that your buddies enjoyed it though. :thumbsup:

Hibbie_Cameron
08-03-2010, 12:18 AM
Yeah, same ref, Dean Smith and he was probably worse tonight. Caps scored a good goal which he ended up disallowing after a near riot as he had inadvertently sent too many Giants players to the penalty box so he had to backtrack and start the passage of play all over again after making sure the right culprits were boxed! They ended up with 73 minutes in penalties so in fairness his ineptitude probably favoured us tonight whilst it was more in their favour last night! I agree with you FWIW as I thought the Caps played the better hockey Saturday night but the difference was that their netminder stood on his head that game. He played well again Sunday but wasn't just quite as hot! Good that your buddies enjoyed it though. :thumbsup:

We are going to go back but i notice the season is nearing its end. How many teams make the play-offs and will the Caps make it? Its trying to get a game where we can all make it, just happend that sat night was ideal

GhostofBolivar
08-03-2010, 05:36 AM
Aye, he was terrifying in his debut game I just watched, making 27 saves as the Flames won 5-2 at Minnesota. Maybe just maybe it was what was in front of him at the "Make Believes" that made him look worse than he really is? You certainly are, being as the NHL stats engine credits him with a .902 save average. :wink:

Toskala (http://www.nhl.com/ice/player.htm?id=8462117) 2009/10:

27GP 24GS 8W 12L 3OTL 3.59GAA .877SV%

Toskala's save percentage ranks him 47th in the NHL out of... 47. He is consistent though, because his GAA's dead last too.

Who's making him out to be worse than he is?

By the way, he's only had 7 games this season where his save percentage has been above the league average of .911. He's had 10 where it's been below .860.

Yeah. He's amazing.

I love our [Team USA] goaltending when we do make a mistake. I’m not always used to, personally over the last two years, of getting the big save so to speak.

The save percentage in [the 80s] was .880. Do that now and you are not in the business.

Right now, what's wrong with the Leafs is the fact we have few NHL-ready forwards. A large part of what's been wrong since the lockout is that we haven't had NHL-calibre goaltending. Something that's the fault of the previous GM.

Toskala doesn't like working with a coach and is habitually unconcerned by his latest disasterous performance. He's lazy, apathetic, self-deluded and injury-prone. The best thing he ever did as a Leaf was to concede a shootout goal to Mats Sundin in a game against the Canucks. I fervently await the day he signs for a British team so I can tell him to his face how much I hate him.

PC Stamp
08-03-2010, 09:13 AM
Toskala (http://www.nhl.com/ice/player.htm?id=8462117) 2009/10:

27GP 24GS 8W 12L 3OTL 3.59GAA .877SV%

Toskala's save percentage ranks him 47th in the NHL out of... 47. He is consistent though, because his GAA's dead last too.

Who's making him out to be worse than he is?

By the way, he's only had 7 games this season where his save percentage has been above the league average of .911. He's had 10 where it's been below .860.

Yeah. He's amazing.

Right now, what's wrong with the Leafs is the fact we have few NHL-ready forwards. A large part of what's been wrong since the lockout is that we haven't had NHL-calibre goaltending. Something that's the fault of the previous GM.

Toskala doesn't like working with a coach and is habitually unconcerned by his latest disasterous performance. He's lazy, apathetic, self-deluded and injury-prone. The best thing he ever did as a Leaf was to concede a shootout goal to Mats Sundin in a game against the Canucks. I fervently await the day he signs for a British team so I can tell him to his face how much I hate him.

So you're taking this season's figure playing in one of the worst perfroming Maple Leafs teams in recent years as opposed to his career figure?
As I hinted before, Sutter has taken players who have done nothing before and polished them into better. Toskala had a decent start on Sunday, is alongside a mate in Kiprusoff and has a coach in Jamie McLennan who will probably eat him with noodles if he doesn't toe the line.

Billy
08-03-2010, 10:54 AM

Special mention has to go to Martin Cingel for one of his goals last night. I'm not much of a hockey fan but even I said aloud at the time "What a F****** Goal" :greengrin

I just hope I caught the goal okay with the camera as I stopped for a split second to take in just how good a goal it was.

PC Stamp
08-03-2010, 08:21 PM
We are going to go back but i notice the season is nearing its end. How many teams make the play-offs and will the Caps make it? Its trying to get a game where we can all make it, just happend that sat night was ideal

The Caps only have 2 home games left in the league bud. This coming Wednesday against Cardiff with an 8pm face off and then on Saturday 20th March with a 6pm face off. Then the play offs kick in and it looks most like the Caps will play either Cardiff or Nottigham ... either on Saturday 27th March at 6pm or Sunday 28th March at 6pm. If they qualify they'll then be down in Nottingham for finals weekend at Easter.

Then it's time to look ahead to next season starting the weekend of 4th/5th September with the newly announced Braehead Clan joining the Elite League set up and giving the Caps a Scottish rival next season!

Hibbie_Cameron
08-03-2010, 08:37 PM
I might make it on the 20th. I thought i was going to busy that night but it looks like things have changed in that respect. My duck's supporting brother is also interested in going along, atleast i wont have to explain everything to him:greengrin

GhostofBolivar
09-03-2010, 06:12 AM
So you're taking this season's figure playing in one of the worst perfroming Maple Leafs teams in recent years as opposed to his career figure?

As I hinted before, Sutter has taken players who have done nothing before and polished them into better. Toskala had a decent start on Sunday, is alongside a mate in Kiprusoff and has a coach in Jamie McLennan who will probably eat him with noodles if he doesn't toe the line.

Why wouldn't I use his numbers for this season?

If it makes you feel better, he hasn't had a save percentage above league average since 2006/07. So that's three seasons where he's been awful. He might demonstrate ability in individual games, but over the last three years he has a .891 save percentage. Which is nowhere near even being mediocre at the NHL level.

Toskala had a goalie coach in Toronto who worked with Patrick Roy, J-S Giguere, Jonas Hiller and Ilya Bryzgalov among others. It's not like Francois Allaire has a poor resume. Yet, by most accounts his practice habits are spotty at best and he doesn't listen to his coach.

Vesa is not a guy who likes to build relations with coaches. He preferred to be by himself... To do that, to say, `I'm okay by myself, I know what to do,' you have to be really good in this league in 2010.

He's demonstrably a terrible goalie. His only value is as an expiring contract and while it might be possible to salvage something from him, it might be possible to salvage something from the Titanic too. The obvious analogy is that you've just signed Zibi Malkowski as your backup. There's no real good part to this for you. I've seen him far more than I'd have liked and trust me, the guy is apocalyptically bad.

http://www.pensionplanpuppets.com/2009/10/1/1057116/the-maple-leafs-goaltending-dilemma

http://www.pensionplanpuppets.com/2010/2/3/1288126/saying-goodbye-vesa-toskala

PC Stamp
09-03-2010, 03:29 PM
Why wouldn't I use his numbers for this season?

If it makes you feel better, he hasn't had a save percentage above league average since 2006/07. So that's three seasons where he's been awful. He might demonstrate ability in individual games, but over the last three years he has a .891 save percentage. Which is nowhere near even being mediocre at the NHL level.

Toskala had a goalie coach in Toronto who worked with Patrick Roy, J-S Giguere, Jonas Hiller and Ilya Bryzgalov among others. It's not like Francois Allaire has a poor resume. Yet, by most accounts his practice habits are spotty at best and he doesn't listen to his coach.

He's demonstrably a terrible goalie. His only value is as an expiring contract and while it might be possible to salvage something from him, it might be possible to salvage something from the Titanic too. The obvious analogy is that you've just signed Zibi Malkowski as your backup. There's no real good part to this for you. I've seen him far more than I'd have liked and trust me, the guy is apocalyptically bad.

http://www.pensionplanpuppets.com/2009/10/1/1057116/the-maple-leafs-goaltending-dilemma

http://www.pensionplanpuppets.com/2010/2/3/1288126/saying-goodbye-vesa-toskala

It was always deemed a difficult task yet when someone actually put their mind to it, they did it. It turned out to be pretty valuable!
Time will tell whether it works or not. If it does, well and good ... if not he'll go at the end of the season. We all know he's not likely to play many games as Kiprusoff doesn't by all accounts want to sit out games. His first game was encouraging enough. If he can do similar in perhaps the other half dozen (if that) games he may play then the deal will have served it's purpose by allowing Sutter to lose McElhinney's contract thereby allowing Irving to step up next season.

Hibbie_Cameron
11-03-2010, 04:16 AM
8-3 to the Caps last night, I picked the wrong game:faf:

PC Stamp
11-03-2010, 09:45 AM
8-3 to the Caps last night, I picked the wrong game:faf:

Always more fun to be announcing goals rather than endless penalties. :greengrin

stu in nottingham
11-03-2010, 12:33 PM
Will the Edinburgh Capitals be coming to Nottingham for the play-offs you think then chaps? I sincerely hope so.

PC Stamp
12-03-2010, 10:36 AM
Will the Edinburgh Capitals be coming to Nottingham for the play-offs you think then chaps? I sincerely hope so.

If we have a full roster Stu, whch unfortunately we haven't had pretty much all season then we are capable of beating anyone. We've taken major points off all the top boys this season apart from Belfast and we finally got their measure last weekend! It looks like we'll get either Nottingham or Cardiff in the eliminator and we've done well against both of them this season despite being continually understrength. We're just about there with Owen Fussey (ex NHL Washington Caps) the only import now missing apart from Doug Christiansen who I doubt will play again this season. Fuss is expected back in the next week or so and his presence will be a huge factor for us. It would be interesting to see the Caps knock out the "hosts" and make the play off weekend. That said, Cardiff are the aim as we'd be above Sheffield in that event and would have a .500 record over the season. Without any doubt this has been the best and most competitve Caps team since the Elite League began. They are already way ahead of their previous ever highest points total and a play off place would be a great reward for them!

stu in nottingham
14-03-2010, 12:29 PM
Bit of a blow last night for the Caps then with a 3-2 reverse against Newcastle. Better luck tonight in Belfast. It looks like Edinburgh can have a big say in who wins the league title this year with fixtures remaining against both Nottingham and Coventry.

A big blast from the Panthers last night with a stunning 8-3 victory against league leaders, Coventry who were overwhelmed after Nottingham built up a four-goal cushion in the second period. The Panthers are very talented offensively but tend to let themselves down on the blueline occasionally and also with some undisciplined play when they tend to find themselves out of position and not concentrating on their jobs out there. I'm sure this is the reason why they have failed against some of the lesser-lights in the league this year despite doing well against the 'bigger' clubs'.

It was the original Panthers of 1956 that last won the British title and their quest for this trophy is not dissimilar to our own (Hibs) quest for the Holy Grail of the Scottish Cup. They are now within two points of top team Coventry with four games to go and have a tough journey to Cardiff this evening. Nottingham cannot afford to do anything but win. I still have a slight feeling that they will just run out of games but one can thing we can say is that the Elite League has been a really competitive one in season 2009/10.

Hope to see Edinburgh in Nottingham for the play-offs.

PC Stamp
14-03-2010, 02:23 PM
Bit of a blow last night for the Caps then with a 3-2 reverse against Newcastle. Better luck tonight in Belfast. It looks like Edinburgh can have a big say in who wins the league title this year with fixtures remaining against both Nottingham and Coventry.

A big blast from the Panthers last night with a stunning 8-3 victory against league leaders, Coventry who were overwhelmed after Nottingham built up a four-goal cushion in the second period. The Panthers are very talented offensively but tend to let themselves down on the blueline occasionally and also with some undisciplined play when they tend to find themselves out of position and not concentrating on their jobs out there. I'm sure this is the reason why they have failed against some of the lesser-lights in the league this year despite doing well against the 'bigger' clubs'.

It was the original Panthers of 1956 that last won the British title and their quest for this trophy is not dissimilar to our own (Hibs) quest for the Holy Grail of the Scottish Cup. They are now within two points of top team Coventry with four games to go and have a tough journey to Cardiff this evening. Nottingham cannot afford to do anything but win. I still have a slight feeling that they will just run out of games but one can thing we can say is that the Elite League has been a really competitive one in season 2009/10.

Hope to see Edinburgh in Nottingham for the play-offs.

Caps have still to play Coventry twice ... one home & one away. Our record against them this season has been good. Of the six games played so far, 3 wins each and all very close.

stu in nottingham
14-03-2010, 02:39 PM
Caps have still to play Coventry twice ... one home & one away. Our record against them this season has been good. Of the six games played so far, 3 wins each and all very close.

Great stuff. Another reason for me to get get behind the Caps, Cliff!

PC Stamp
14-03-2010, 10:40 PM
Great stuff. Another reason for me to get get behind the Caps, Cliff!

Struggling again numbers wise just now though Stu. Lost 4-0 in Belfast tonight minus Kyle Horne (a GB defenceman) and two big imports in Sean Perkins and Owen Fussey not withstanding Doug Christiansen who's been out all season. Hopefully Fuss and Perks will be back for at least the home game against Coventry as they are two guys who make us tick.

stu in nottingham
14-03-2010, 10:49 PM
Not the best night for Edinburgh. Belfast is a tough road game though.

Nottingham completely blow their title chances with a fairly predictable 3-0 loss in Cardiff after annihilating league leaders Coventry last night. Typical Panthers!

Hibbie_Cameron
17-03-2010, 11:12 PM
Im off today so im gonna try sit up and watch the flames at 1.30. Not seen them live for a few months so im anxious to see whats on offer

PC Stamp
19-03-2010, 05:35 PM
Im off today so im gonna try sit up and watch the flames at 1.30. Not seen them live for a few months so im anxious to see whats on offer

A vital win in Colorado with Toskala playing in his second game since arriving and gaining a second win.

GhostofBolivar
22-03-2010, 02:01 PM
I hate being right all the time (http://video.nhl.com/videocenter/console?hlg=20092010,2,1069&event=MIN43)

GhostofBolivar
25-03-2010, 05:03 PM
http://www.youtube.com/user/blogesalming#p/a/u/1/4Zd5jTtzWx8

This made me laugh. A lot.

Hibbie_Cameron
25-03-2010, 05:14 PM
Anyone heading along to Murrayfield on Sat night?

PC Stamp
25-03-2010, 07:38 PM
http://www.youtube.com/user/blogesalming#p/a/u/1/4Zd5jTtzWx8

THis made me laugh. A lot.

Excellent! :faf:

The Winnipeg Jets ... once upon a time. :greengrin

The_Todd
26-03-2010, 07:40 PM
Anyone heading along to Murrayfield on Sat night?

Damned right I am.

Could be watching history in the making if the Caps can take a lead in the first leg. We shouldn't write ourselves off in the playoffs, on a one-off basis we can beat anyone in this league if we play at our best.

GhostofBolivar
27-05-2010, 05:38 AM
http://sports.yahoo.com/nhl/blog/puck_daddy/post/Eulogy-Remembering-the-2009-10-Montreal-Canadie?urn=nhl,243595

This also made me laugh. Especially the song.