PDA

View Full Version : John Collins on Sky

Frazerbob
14-02-2010, 07:47 PM
JC obviously still has a great deal of passion for our club. Classic moment pre-match when he said "We will go for the three points. Eh...Hibs I mean".

Despite a few dodgy signings, the guy is a Hibs legend IMO.

Gatecrasher
14-02-2010, 07:48 PM
JC obviously still has a great deal of passion for our club. Classic moment pre-match when he said "We will go for the three point. Eh...Hibs I mean".

i disliked him after he left the club the way he did, but its worked out for the best, Good luck JC in the future :agree:

weonlywon6-2
14-02-2010, 07:51 PM
JC obviously still has a great deal of passion for our club. Classic moment pre-match when he said "We will go for the three point. Eh...Hibs I mean".

absolutely,though we all could differ on our opinions of him, still gave his all as a player and a manager (mikey stewart might not agree with that)

:thumbsup:

.Sean.
14-02-2010, 08:17 PM
absolutely,though we all could differ on our opinions of him, still gave his all as a player and a manager (mikey stewart might not agree with that)

:thumbsup:
Mikey Stewart's a helmet. Who gives a hoot what that ginger fud thinks.

Betty Boop
14-02-2010, 08:18 PM
Mikey Stewart's a helmet. Who gives a hoot what that ginger fud thinks.

:top marks

Green Man
14-02-2010, 08:23 PM
I noticed his "we" as well. JC will always be a Hibby :agree:

NORTHERNHIBBY
14-02-2010, 09:04 PM
JC obviously still has a great deal of passion for our club. Classic moment pre-match when he said "We will go for the three points. Eh...Hibs I mean".

ehm, ehm, ehm, which of his signings were actually not dodgy?
Collins came to the club at the wrong time. Heaven forbid that the Yogster leaves anytime soon, but JC could get this squad playing. His judgement of player however, is flawed.

bigstu
14-02-2010, 09:38 PM
we won the cup when he was manager, for that i will always be grateful to him. hibs legend. We don't have to hate & abuse every ex player & manager!

NadeAteMyLunch!
15-02-2010, 12:34 AM

:agree:

Banter
15-02-2010, 01:02 AM

Despite all his signings that were as dodgy as a hearts fire sale, the guy is a Hibs legend IMO.

:cool2:

Hainan Hibs
15-02-2010, 04:11 AM
The guy won us a cup, and not only just won it, won it with Hibs class.

A 5-1 pumping with 5 Hibs class goals.

JC is an absolute legend.

His signings were pish, but this is exactly what was meant to be,

YouTube - Oleyyyyyyyyyy (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-0EJn1mAukc&feature=related)

rainman
15-02-2010, 05:54 AM
The guy won us a cup, and not only just won it, won it with Hibs class.

A 5-1 pumping with 5 Hibs class goals.

JC is an absolute legend.

His signings were pish, but this is exactly what was meant to be,

YouTube - Oleyyyyyyyyyy (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-0EJn1mAukc&feature=related)

I miss Boozy!

RIP
15-02-2010, 07:24 AM
If John Collins had received even half the financial support that Mixu or Yogi got, he would have stayed a lot longer

It took the back-to-back resignations of 2 managers to shake the board into realising that if you pay peanuts you get monkeys

Hibbyradge
15-02-2010, 07:38 AM
I noticed his "we" as well. JC will always be a Hibby :agree:

Is it possible to be a Hibby and support Celtic at the same time? :wink:

khib70
15-02-2010, 07:50 AM
If John Collins had received even half the financial support that Mixu or Yogi got, he would have stayed a lot longer

It took the back-to-back resignations of 2 managers to shake the board into realising that if you pay peanuts you get monkeys
:top marksWell said sir!

rainman
15-02-2010, 08:06 AM

John Collins' reign was the beginning of the purse strings loosening. Unfortunately he blew his money on utter dross.

I bet Mowbray would've killed for the money he spent on guys like Makalambay and Alan o'Brien.

Wilson
15-02-2010, 08:11 AM

Revisionist nonsense.

Collins was never going to get more funds as he had shown no real savvy in the transfer market.

We have to thank god (or Rod) he didn't get as much financial support as Yogi as he'd have blown the lot on dud players.

RIP
15-02-2010, 09:38 AM
Revisionist nonsense.

Collins was never going to get more funds as he had shown no real savvy in the transfer market.

We have to thank god (or Rod) he didn't get as much financial support as Yogi as he'd have blown the lot on dud players.

Sorry mate - yer talking bollox.

Rod sold the best players out from under Collins for XX millions and gave him not a penny back. Collins then lined up no-fee replacements who Rod wasn't able to sign cos he widnae pay wages either (Stevie Hammel anyone?)

It took JC to walk away before Rod gave Mixu got a bit more to spend.

Do you really believe the myth that we paid decent wages for Maka, O'Brien, N'Boussie, Gatheussi, Kerr et all? Don't make me laff. They were all no-mark rejects but that was the market JC had to compete in. Rod restricted him to trialists, Bosmans and other teams reserves.

OK Yogi had more contacts but he also had a bigger wages budget. As did Mixu. See the accounts if you don't believe me

Littlest Hobo
15-02-2010, 10:50 AM
i disliked him after he left the club the way he did, but its worked out for the best, Good luck JC in the future :agree:

John Collins has to be one of the best players we have ever had. How anyone can say they dislike a player because he moved on is beyond me:confused: It's the nature of the beast unfortunately. Sometimes they go out the front door, sometimes they go out the back depending on what story gets leaked at the time. Players will always move on to bigger and better clubs if their good enough. It happened with Collins, it happened with Broon, Thompson, and Whittaker. It's what Hibs have always done. Don't think that Hibs are always the innocent party in all this either because it's actually the club who usually do the touting, only the fans never get to hear about it. JC is a Hibs legend in my opinion and always will be, no matter what he done as a player to get his big money move or what he had to endure from the lazy players when he was manager. The same goes for big Frank he'll always remain a legend!:agree:

ScottB
15-02-2010, 11:03 AM
He does seem to say 'we' a lot in relation to Hibs, but then again I'm sure in a recent interview RE Celtic he also used the word 'we' but yeah, the guy was a fantastic player and won us a cup. He deserves respect :agree:

bawheid
15-02-2010, 11:13 AM

Rod sold the best players out from under Collins for XX millions and gave him not a penny back. Collins then lined up no-fee replacements who Rod wasn't able to sign cos he widnae pay wages either (Stevie Hammel anyone?)

Do you really believe the myth that we paid decent wages for Maka, O'Brien, N'Boussie, Gatheussi, Kerr et all? Don't make me laff. They were all no-mark rejects but that was the market JC had to compete in. Rod restricted him to trialists, Bosmans and other teams reserves.

OK Yogi had more contacts but he also had a bigger wages budget. As did Mixu. See the accounts if you don't believe me

Dross. Hammel subsequently joined Motherwell. There was no way we were outbid by them when Collins had already signed players on higher wages (O'Brien, Maka).

Frazerbob
15-02-2010, 11:33 AM
Is it possible to be a Hibby and support Celtic at the same time? :wink:

Maybe you should ask our current manager. :wink: :stirrer:

Hibs Class
15-02-2010, 11:44 AM
If I heard him correctly yesterday, he said that in the December game against Rangers Hibs had played like Barcelona for the first 20 minutes :thumbsup:

Gatecrasher
15-02-2010, 12:17 PM
John Collins has to be one of the best players we have ever had. How anyone can say they dislike a player because he moved on is beyond me:confused: It's the nature of the beast unfortunately. Sometimes they go out the front door, sometimes they go out the back depending on what story gets leaked at the time. Players will always move on to bigger and better clubs if their good enough. It happened with Collins, it happened with Broon, Thompson, and Whittaker. It's what Hibs have always done. Don't think that Hibs are always the innocent party in all this either because it's actually the club who usually do the touting, only the fans never get to hear about it. JC is a Hibs legend in my opinion and always will be, no matter what he done as a player to get his big money move or what he had to endure from the lazy players when he was manager. The same goes for big Frank he'll always remain a legend!:agree:
That's a fair enough post but all I was saying was when he left the club the way he did, so many games without a win, pish signings etc I was a bit pissed off that's all, like I said I wish him all the best and it's worked out best for both parties

RIP
15-02-2010, 12:59 PM
Dross. Hammel subsequently joined Motherwell. There was no way we were outbid by them when Collins had already signed players on higher wages (O'Brien, Maka).

http://scotlandonsunday.scotsman.com/sport?articleid=3616460

Both O'Brien and Makalambay were subject to compensation. However I see you are repeating the myth that Alan and Yves were big earners. I personally believe there is no truth whatever in that rumour. Why don't you tell Yves what you think he is earning? I think you will be met with an incredulous laugh.

The wages bill under Collins has been effectively doubled under Yogi

bawheid
15-02-2010, 01:04 PM
http://scotlandonsunday.scotsman.com/sport?articleid=3616460

Both O'Brien and Makalambay were subject to compensation. However I see you are repeating the myth that Alan and Yves were big earners. I personally believe there is no truth whatever in that rumour. Why don't you tell Yves what you think he is earning? I think you will be met with an incredulous laugh.

The wages bill under Collins has been effectively doubled under Yogi

Both were on more than Hammel will be on at 'Well.

If anything, Collins may have been told we weren't signing Hammel because Rod had been unconvinced by his previous signings. I think Collins was "managed out" to a certain degree.

Collins signed two players from Premiership reserve sides, as has Yogi. I would doubt the wages being paid are that different. The difference in quality is there for all to see though.

RickyS
15-02-2010, 03:12 PM
Both were on more than Hammel will be on at 'Well.

If anything, Collins may have been told we weren't signing Hammel because Rod had been unconvinced by his previous signings. I think Collins was "managed out" to a certain degree.

Collins signed two players from Premiership reserve sides, as has Yogi. I would doubt the wages being paid are that different. The difference in quality is there for all to see though.

always my thoughts on it, Rod would refuse backing and reduce budgets to make the job look impossible.

GreenCastle
15-02-2010, 03:24 PM
If I heard him correctly yesterday, he said that in the December game against Rangers Hibs had played like Barcelona for the first 20 minutes :thumbsup:

We did :thumbsup: then we got hammered :grr:

I have nothing against Collins - his emotions after the CIS Cup final speak for himself -

YouTube - Sunshine On leith CIS Final - BBC (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sPXCNwBu_t8)

Also said he won it for his father who passed away a few months before.

http://soccernet-assets.espn.go.com/report?id=214774&cc=null#quotes

Jack
15-02-2010, 04:21 PM

John Collins was undoubtedly one of the best players to ever grace ER but he just didn’t have it as far as a full time, all round, manager was concerned.

He of all people, having been a player who moved along the M8 for ‘personal ambition’ while at the same time attracting a fee that kept the club afloat, should have realised Hibs don’t have unlimited resources.

JC was the manager on the day the training centre was opened saying we were a forward looking ambitious club and the benefits would be there for the future, obviously not his as he left the next day.

JC was given plenty and brought in plenty, as was Mixu, although not much in comparison with was had been sold on. But that wasn’t a new thing and neither of them should have been surprised!

For the past few seasons, since JCs time, we’ve been told the manager has a budget and its up to him how its used. We have also been told that it would grow as the club grew.

No one knows exactly why he left, but briefly, there were rumours he asked the board for more money but when asked wouldn’t say how much more he wanted and then resigned anyway. The board did not refuse to give him a bigger budget.

Great players the both of them, just neither had it to be an ongoing success as a manager in the SPL.

And while we are all getting used to Yogi’s ‘economy with the truth’ he was in the paper about two weeks ago saying he hadn’t spent ANY money at Hibs.

Anyway its good to see JC has feelings for the club, we’ve got a lot of reasons to thank him for too.

hfc rd
15-02-2010, 09:36 PM
JC will always be remembered as a legend. The guy got us our first piece of silver ware for the first time in 16 years. And what a to win it, with a bit of style.

lapsedhibee
15-02-2010, 11:15 PM
JC will always be remembered as a legend. The guy got us our first piece of silver ware for the first time in 16 years.

Did it with Tommy Craig's team though.

matty_f
16-02-2010, 12:21 AM
John Collins' reign was the beginning of the purse strings loosening. Unfortunately he blew his money on utter dross.

I bet Mowbray would've killed for the money he spent on guys like Makalambay and Alan o'Brien.

Collins blew his budget on players that failed to make any impact (more or less all his signings).

JC's downfall wasn't that he didn't get enough money, is that he was wholly unable to go into the market and come out with a Miller, McBride, Murphy, Boozy, Stokes, Stack, Smith, Shiels, Jones and so on.

rainman
16-02-2010, 02:29 AM

Collins blew his budget on players that failed to make any impact (more or less all his signings).

JC's downfall wasn't that he didn't get enough money, is that he was wholly unable to go into the market and come out with a Miller, McBride, Murphy, Boozy, Stokes, Stack, Smith, Shiels, Jones and so on.\

I would suggest that his ability to spot a player and his man management skills are the reason he is sitting in a studio watching games. Both left a lot to be desired and ultimately proved costly to both Hibs and JC.

judas
16-02-2010, 07:06 PM

Terrible manager.

Absolutely terrible.

Greenblood70
16-02-2010, 07:56 PM

JC's downfall wasn't that he didn't get enough money, is that he was wholly unable to go into the market and come out with a Miller, McBride, Murphy, Boozy, Stokes, Stack, Smith, Shiels, Jones and so on.

I always wonder how much input Tommy Craig had in a lot of our signings at that time. Collins really seemed to see him as a guiding hand and I wouldn't be surprised if he had a good deal of influence on him.

FWIW I realise he made mistakes but I still think there is a good manager in there with Collins if he learns the lessons from them.

KeithTheHibby
16-02-2010, 10:48 PM
At times I think JC gets a hard time by some of the support on here...let's not forget that his time in the hotseat was his first in management.

matty_f
16-02-2010, 10:50 PM
I always wonder how much input Tommy Craig had in a lot of our signings at that time. Collins really seemed to see him as a guiding hand and I wouldn't be surprised if he had a good deal of influence on him.

FWIW I realise he made mistakes but I still think there is a good manager in there with Collins if he learns the lessons from them.

I think he tried to do too much, too soon. I agreed 100% with what he was trying to achieve at the club, his philosophy on the game and of the demands he was making of the players.

Unfortunately he didn't get the players bought in to it all quickly enough, and there was a backlash.

The Harp Awakes
16-02-2010, 11:11 PM
John Collins & Yogi are both big Hibbys

John Collins & Yogi both had/have the ambition to take Hibs to the next level

John Collins didn't think he could do it

Yogi believes he can:thumbsup:

jacomo
17-02-2010, 10:14 AM
Terrible manager.

Absolutely terrible.

Aye, what a shame he won a cup, eh?

Golden Bear
17-02-2010, 10:27 AM
At times I think JC gets a hard time by some of the support on here...let's not forget that his time in the hotseat was his first in management.

My only regret is that Hibs was his first managerial appointment. He was out of the game in this country for too long and it showed in the quality of his signings - these same players contributed towards the poor team performances in the latter days.

Hopefully JC will learn from his experience at Hibs and I genuinely hope he proves himself as a successful manager in years to come.

Betty Boop
17-02-2010, 10:58 AM
I will always love John Collins. :greengrin

Bad Martini
17-02-2010, 11:58 AM
John Collins was class. He made some pish signings but it has to be said, so did every other manager we have had in the last 50 years.

The FACTS are, he won the silverware. He also got stabbed in the back by a sneaky wee yam who subsequently ****ed off back to where he belongs and same yam was instrumental in turning half the team against him...........did ANY other manager, in recent times have all that crap to deal with and still win anything of note?

As for his rationaile in the fitba world and his thinkings of the game; the ball is round is it not? And it should ****ing roll around the ground unless you love hoofall? And should the players not get their fat, flabby erses in gear and get fit? Or are the punters expected to feed their egos, fast cars and hooses and them put nowt back in?

Collins was and is, every bit a legend at Easter Road. He may also have celtic leanings, so did/does Hughes as others have pointed out. I dont give a ratts ass aboot that tho. All I care aboot is the influence they have at Easter Road. Wee Ivan was a rangers supporter as I understand it, yet left Easter Road talking aboot green blood...its all good.

Respect to Collins. He deserves that at least. Some ***** signings but, bagged a cup and tried to kick the arse of some lazy *******s who deserved it. He also had the twat Thomson and all his crap to deal with and I think, come out on top of that one and most other situations and remember, he was driven to succeed; yes, for John Collins but ultimately also, for Hibs. Which to me, is the bottom line.

ENDOF :thumbsup: