PDA

View Full Version : the team lineup was wrong unfortunately

Cameron1875
14-02-2010, 05:54 PM
I am a massive yogi fan and by no way a jambo but i think there were mistakes with the team today. To drop wotherspoon was criminal and i also think mcbride should have started. Rankin could then have moved to the left meaning centre mid was more protected.

We got completely overrun in midfield as there were a few poor players in there (gow had a shocker but early days for him) and we missed the wing backs bombing forward.

Still think we will finish 3rd but hopefully we can sort ourselves out and batter st johnstone.

allmodcons
14-02-2010, 06:06 PM
I am a massive yogi fan and by no way a jambo but i think there were mistakes with the team today. To drop wotherspoon was criminal and i also think mcbride should have started. Rankin could then have moved to the left meaning centre mid was more protected.

We got completely overrun in midfield as there were a few poor players in there (gow had a shocker but early days for him) and we missed the wing backs bombing forward.

Still think we will finish 3rd but hopefully we can sort ourselves out and batter st johnstone.

Not at all!

We played very well in 1st half especially last 20 minutes, so tactics obviously worked well!

Not at all overrun in midfield. Miller, Rankin and especially Zemmama all on top of their game.

Second half was OK until their 2nd goal from what was a rather dubious penalty award. Your reflection of the game would be fair from their 2nd goal onwards, but to suggest we were overrun fron start is just nonsense.

Toaods
14-02-2010, 06:10 PM
I would disagree as we have a tough spell with 3 away games in a week here.

We need to move the players around a bit to keep things fresh and bubbly.

Perhaps the team was picked with the memory that Wotherspoon found it tough against Lafferty last time, so De Beasely upset the balance a bit.

northgreen24
14-02-2010, 06:10 PM
I dont agree,

Yogi really went for it and if we had got the goal in the first have would have been a different game. Ok we lost 3 nil but he took the risk (like Aberdeen) and sometimes it pays off but this time it didnt

I would be happy to watch this every week

Toaods
14-02-2010, 06:12 PM
I would be happy to watch this every week

I'd rather we improved over the 90 but can accept the attempt no problem. Bit disappointed no Galbraith again though....seems odd.

zlatan
14-02-2010, 06:12 PM
Nonsense, that first half performance was as good as I've seen us under Hughes and if we got the goals we deserved for it the game could have been completely different. Alas we never and that gave the huns enough time to nullify Zemmama and get the first goal.

Bar the result itself I don't think there's much to feel glum about after that game today.

Part/Time Supporter
14-02-2010, 06:14 PM
I'm not sure how Wotherspoon would have helped. Hogg was okay at right back; certainly better than Wotherspoon was in the first two games against Rangers. Zemmama was excellent at right mid, caused Papac no end of problems in the first half.

Benji played well in the "hole role" as well. The only major disappointment was Gow at left wing IMO, and I'm not sure that Riordan would have done much better there. The other option, as you say, would be to play another midfield type (ie McBride) and push Rankin to left mid. Again, not 100% convinced by that, less energy in the middle area, perhaps slightly more solid in the wide and less quality in attack.

Didn't get any breaks and beaten by a better team in the end really is the sum total.

hibs0666
14-02-2010, 06:50 PM
I am a massive yogi fan and by no way a jambo but i think there were mistakes with the team today.

Nah.

skipster7
14-02-2010, 07:03 PM

have to disagree there, i thought we were by far the better team first half and had to take one of our 2/3 good chances, but lost a lot of shape after the stupid first goal.
we played some great football on the deck but as yogi said the very final pass seemed to take too long.thought gow looked well short of fitness but should prove to be a good signing.a good 15/16 players in the squad IMO.:agree:

Riordans Boots
14-02-2010, 07:15 PM
As I said on another thread, I am a massive Yogi lover :agree:

Just can't figure out why he changed the playing 11.

Why he had both Bamba and Hanlon :confused:

And why Riordan or Wotherspoon were not on from the start :confused:

Nae doubt Yogi will have learned from taking such a gamble and we will hear about it soon.

He is the Gaffer and I do trust in him - I was just a bit thrown out with his team selection today :agree:

p.s I do love Yogi btw :agree:

Toaods
14-02-2010, 07:18 PM
I was just a bit thrown out with his team selection today :agree:

so were the Huns, we just couldn't finish when the chances came along.

skipster7
14-02-2010, 07:23 PM
As I said on another thread, I am a massive Yogi lover :agree:

Just can't figure out why he changed the playing 11.

Why he had both Bamba and Hanlon :confused:

And why Riordan or Wotherspoon were not on from the start :confused:

Nae doubt Yogi will have learned from taking such a gamble and we will hear about it soon.

He is the Gaffer and I do trust in him - I was just a bit thrown out with his team selection today :agree:

p.s I do love Yogi btw :agree:

a little surprised at riordan, but understood the spoony one as he has openly admitted hes not done well against rangers this season.the tactics worked in the first half untill we shot ourselves in the foot.

Speedy
14-02-2010, 07:25 PM
Does anyone know how McCann is doing?

Riordans Boots
14-02-2010, 07:34 PM

He has been training and Yogi was delighted last week that McCann was back on form??

Toaods
14-02-2010, 07:47 PM

sadly, I see him fighting back to soem reasonable state of fitness, only to be released at the end of his contract.

we are a good and fair club to players and wouldn't simply ditch him but he isn't going to make it back to required level IMHO.

stubru59
14-02-2010, 07:56 PM
sadly, I see him fighting back to soem reasonable state of fitness, only to be released at the end of his contract.

we are a good and fair club to players and wouldn't simply ditch him but he isn't going to make it back to required level IMHO.

It will take him the best part of three months to get his game fitness up to speed. By which time the season will be all but over.

If he makes it back we are realistically talking about next season.

Toaods
14-02-2010, 08:02 PM
It will take him the best part of three months to get his game fitness up to speed. By which time the season will be all but over.

If he makes it back we are realistically talking about next season.

I feel real sorry for the guy - an honest player who never gave anything less than 100% for the cause.

If it does go that way he'll always have the joy of that blistering drive against the Huns at ER to share with all of us who were there.

NORTHERNHIBBY
14-02-2010, 08:29 PM
If their ever was a game that showed up our complete lack of pace in the forward areas then it was today. No option of the quick ball. That reduces us to squigglers or having to walk the ball all the way to the net. Coming down in the car, I heard about this being a big game for Gow, but he was truly, truly awful. Now I steamed into Mixu for letting J-Johannson use first-team games to get this fitness up to the level, so Yogi has to take a kick in the erse for that as well. Deeks was an empty shirt again, and is looking more like the player that Celtic gave us back, rather than the player we gave them. However, I budget for no points a season from the OF, so I think we have money in the bank with four points already. If we take four points from the next two games, and if it is one from the saints and three from Well, then it is still all peachy.

ancient hibee
14-02-2010, 08:33 PM
When you're on top you must make their goalie work for his money.We didn't so we got what we deserved-nothing.

One Day Soon
14-02-2010, 08:35 PM

disagree

sadtom
14-02-2010, 08:59 PM
Its amazing we've stuck with Yogi for so long, considering all the footballing experts we have at our disposal on Hibs net.

Hibernating (Im a stoopid yam tramp)
14-02-2010, 09:01 PM
The first half was the best we've played this season, so how anyone can say the selection was wrong :confused: The hun got their usual penalty and a third was always likley when the heads dropped.

Sir David Gray
14-02-2010, 09:27 PM
I was a bit puzzled as to why we changed the side. I just assumed that McBride, Wotherspoon, Nish and Riordan had all picked up knocks.

However I thought we played fine in the first half and at half time I thought we were quite comfortable and I didn't think that Rangers had threatened us too much.

Losing the first goal so early in the second half knocked the stuffing out of us a little bit and we never really recovered. Once the penalty went in for the second goal, the heads went down and it was effectively game over after that.

hibbie02
14-02-2010, 09:50 PM
I thought the selection was innovative and brave, especially when Gow and Zemamma started off on the opposite wings you would expect. The Huns were well confused in the first 10 mins. However as time went on Stokes was too isolated and although Benji was having a blinder in the first half, he was too far from Stokes to be effective. Thought the back 4 in the first half were great and not too bad in the second, despite the 3 goals. Their first was a classy strike, their second a pen and the third was down to McBride's injury.

Overall I was pleased to see Yogi mixing it up. He has the squad to do it and I would love to see him continue to do it.

We actually played football today and it was good to see. On another day we would have won...

chorley_fm
14-02-2010, 09:57 PM
I thought the selection was innovative and brave, especially when Gow and Zemamma started off on the opposite wings you would expect. The Huns were well confused in the first 10 mins. However as time went on Stokes was too isolated and although Benji was having a blinder in the first half, he was too far from Stokes to be effective. Thought the back 4 in the first half were great and not too bad in the second, despite the 3 goals. Their first was a classy strike, their second a pen and the third was down to McBride's injury.

Overall I was pleased to see Yogi mixing it up. He has the squad to do it and I would love to see him continue to do it.

We actually played football today and it was good to see. On another day we would have won...

I agree,

MGmick
14-02-2010, 10:21 PM
I thought the first half was the best I've seen us this season in terms of passing and movement. It's the first time in a long time that I've been impressed by Benji and Zemamma. The only downside was Gow's performance which was a shame because he's a decent player and anything approaching a good game from him might've stretched their defence a little wider and made more opportunities for Stokes and Benji.

Second half was a bit of a sickener. Whit's goal was pretty good. The penalty, well Bamba thought he might make a challenge so Miller thought he might as well go down. The third, just an unfortunate slip, hope McBride's not too badly hurt.

Overall I think we'd beat most teams playing as we did in the first half and it was pretty good to watch.

NORTHERNHIBBY
14-02-2010, 10:37 PM
Its amazing we've stuck with Yogi for so long, considering all the footballing experts we have at our disposal on Hibs net.

That's a good point actually. You would think that the reason for web-sites like this, was for fans to put forward their opinions freely. Hang on a minute.......actually, I will hang on till you say say something either constructive, interesting or non-cliche based. Looks like you are stuck with constructive or interesting. I am guessing that maybe a bit of a reach, but I have a lot of patience. Got something in my calendar for 2016 so get a shift on.:I'm waiti:whistle::coffee:

Riordans Boots
14-02-2010, 10:44 PM

Aye whatever :yawn:

You are jokin' likes :confused:

sadtom you really must be so very sad :agree:

HFC 0-7
14-02-2010, 10:49 PM
Apart from after the second went in, thats the best i have seen us play this season. I though the team looked quite well balanced. My only problem with Yogi is that he never took Gow off early enough, I can hardly remember the commentator mentioning him. The other, although i thought he did quite well was hogg at right back. I know why he put him in there and he did a job but I thought when lafferty came on he was able to cut inside too easy off of Hogg. I though Benji played very well, touch was excellent!

NadeAteMyLunch!
14-02-2010, 11:01 PM
If their ever was a game that showed up our complete lack of pace in the forward areas then it was today. No option of the quick ball. That reduces us to squigglers or having to walk the ball all the way to the net. Coming down in the car, I heard about this being a big game for Gow, but he was truly, truly awful. Now I steamed into Mixu for letting J-Johannson use first-team games to get this fitness up to the level, so Yogi has to take a kick in the erse for that as well. Deeks was an empty shirt again, and is looking more like the player that Celtic gave us back, rather than the player we gave them. However, I budget for no points a season from the OF, so I think we have money in the bank with four points already. If we take four points from the next two games, and if it is one from the saints and three from Well, then it is still all peachy.
Embarrasin post mate. How long was he on the field for today? What was the score wen he came on????? As I said, an embarrasin post.

Franck is God
15-02-2010, 11:48 AM
I'm not sure how Wotherspoon would have helped. Hogg was okay at right back; certainly better than Wotherspoon was in the first two games against Rangers. Zemmama was excellent at right mid, caused Papac no end of problems in the first half.

Benji played well in the "hole role" as well. The only major disappointment was Gow at left wing IMO, and I'm not sure that Riordan would have done much better there. The other option, as you say, would be to play another midfield type (ie McBride) and push Rankin to left mid. Again, not 100% convinced by that, less energy in the middle area, perhaps slightly more solid in the wide and less quality in attack.

Didn't get any breaks and beaten by a better team in the end really is the sum total.

Agree with these thoughts.

Thought maybe Yogi could have done more with his subs. I understand why he replaced Gow with Riordan as it was the obvious change to make but I probably would have added another midfielder (Wotherspoon) and pushed Benji and Zemmama further upfield to play left and right along side Stokes instead.

That could just be me though, I just like the balance that a 3rd midfielder gives us and can see Spoony doing the charging forward role from midfield that Scotty used to give us.

IWasThere2016
15-02-2010, 12:26 PM
Yogi's started with something different on two occasions - yesterday and Tannadice (with starting 4-1-4-1 and then 3-4-3 or 3-5-2 in the second half) and we've got nowt in return :boo hoo:

Hibby 2005
15-02-2010, 12:42 PM
I liked the look of the line-up before the game although I thought Gow was a gamble.
Very strange that Galbraith has never been used since scoring at Parkhead!

Speedway
15-02-2010, 12:50 PM
I think the fact that we were soundly beaten home and away, by a team who are regarded as one of their worst in living memory and that haven't been able to sign anyone for 18 months, tells us all we need to know how likely we are to split the OF anytime soon, no matter which 11 we started with.

ahibby
15-02-2010, 01:01 PM
I think Yogi saw a weakness during the ER goal, for example when Novo scored coming in from their left wing and maybe he wasn't going to let that happen again. I think he would have had his work cut out for him (DW that is) were as Hogg is a better defensive option.

NORTHERNHIBBY
15-02-2010, 01:01 PM
Embarrasin post mate. How long was he on the field for today? What was the score wen he came on????? As I said, an embarrasin post.

Can I refer to back to sad toms post who obviously agrees with you that nobodies allowed their own opinion? My point about Riordan is that he came on as an impact player and did not a great deal. Novel point that you make about the score when he came on though. Players should only dig in when we are winning? He certainly had enough time, to show his manager that it was a mistake not to play him from the start.

Hibby 2005
15-02-2010, 01:25 PM
I think the fact that we were soundly beaten home and away, by a team who are regarded as one of their worst in living memory and that haven't been able to sign anyone for 18 months, tells us all we need to know how likely we are to split the OF anytime soon, no matter which 11 we started with.

Against Rangers at Easter Road we gave away cheap goals and yesterday we could easily have been ahead first half and looked capable of holding on had we done so. Rangers are unbeaten at home but were seriously tested by Hibs and if the bulk of this Hibs team is kept together coupled with the addition of a quality RB and one or two more players of the ability of Stokes and Miller then next season could be the start of a consistent challenge to the OF. Rangers are possibly going to lose Boyd in the summer and may well have to sell the likes of Bougerra to stay afloat, two players they won't be able to replace.
Celtic are re-building which requires time and have a Manager who is under pressure.
Hibs have made remarkable progress so far under Yogi and have a solid core of good to excellent players running through the spine of the team. The future is looking very bright.

Speedway
15-02-2010, 01:32 PM
Against Rangers at Easter Road we gave away cheap goals and yesterday we could easily have been ahead first half and looked capable of holding on had we done so. Rangers are unbeaten at home but were seriously tested by Hibs and if the bulk of this Hibs team is kept together coupled with the addition of a quality RB and one or two more players of the ability of Stokes and Miller then next season could be the start of a consistent challenge to the OF. Rangers are possibly going to lose Boyd in the summer and may well have to sell the likes of Bougerra to stay afloat, two players they won't be able to replace.
Celtic are re-building which requires time and have a Manager who is under pressure.
Hibs have made remarkable progress so far under Yogi and have a solid core of good to excellent players running through the spine of the team. The future is looking very bright.

Not sure how this relates to my post but the number of variables in your reply validates what I was saying.

number 27
15-02-2010, 01:34 PM

I don't know how old you are but that is a million miles away from being the worst Huns team in my memory.

Speedway
15-02-2010, 01:44 PM
I don't know how old you are but that is a million miles away from being the worst Huns team in my memory.

Yes, the Bobby Prytz era was worse right enough but at the same time, they are no Laudrup era side either.

Oscar Lomax
15-02-2010, 02:29 PM
As much as I think the guy is absolute garbage, it was Lafferty's introduction that changed the game. The Hibs defence couldn't get to grips with him.
Although we started with what looked like a very attack minded formation, I think Stokes was starved off any real service. I think if we were still playing now we wouldn't have scored!
Wee bit too early to start getting on Gow's back but yesterdays performance was very lack lustre. He didnt look interested and finally just a wee point on Liam Miller.....Yes the guy's got talent and played OK yesterday but he gave the ball away a fair bit and paraded about the park with an arrogance I didnt like....just wish he would pass a bit more and like Bamba, not muck about trying to beat players in his own box!