PDA

View Full Version : Bamba....should he be dropped?

RoslinInstHibby
14-02-2010, 03:47 PM
probably get pelters and told it's just a kneejerk reaction, but i thought Bamba had a really poor game game and think he needs a wee spell on the bench, anyone agree?

spudhib
14-02-2010, 03:50 PM
probably get pelters and told it's just a kneejerk reaction, but i thought Bamba had a really poor game game and think he needs a wee spell on the bench, anyone agree?

Good first half and a few dodgy moments in the second (stepover in his own box anyone?)but thats just oor Sol,more good than bad imo.

Ell_Chrisso
14-02-2010, 03:51 PM
Simple.... erm,

Nah.

Riordans Boots
14-02-2010, 03:51 PM
Agree to an extent as Hanlon is starting to shine and am just not getting Yogi's line up today.

That said, Bamba is a God for Hibs these days - today was not his best form :boo hoo: and he shouldn't be dropped.

Part/Time Supporter
14-02-2010, 03:53 PM
No

madabouthibs
14-02-2010, 03:55 PM
Had a bad game, but no.

Hibs Class

After he did his stepover with Novo behind him I actually wondered whether he might be trying out new tricks for the World Cup! (I quickly dismissed the idea though). But I do think Hughes needs to tell him to just keep it simple, as he seems to be getting a little bit more gallus as the season progresses.

RoslinInstHibby
Good first half and a few dodgy moments in the second (stepover in his own box anyone?)but thats just oor Sol,more good than bad imo.

defo was a heart stopping moment that, tbh i don't think he has been great since he came back from Angola

Woody1985
14-02-2010, 03:57 PM

I don't think I've ever seen a player try that before, for obvious reasons.

I think Yogi might need to have a word and tell him just get back to basics and show the composure we know he's capable of. We seen that at points through the game today but he needs to get that consistency back soon.

Baw187
14-02-2010, 03:58 PM
No.

hibeeliam
14-02-2010, 04:01 PM
no. he was not on best form today but will come back strong on wednesday

Cameron1875
14-02-2010, 04:01 PM
who would he be dropped for? cause if people seriously believe hanlon is better than him then thats concerning.

NorthNorfolkHFC
14-02-2010, 04:02 PM
NO! made the ushering out of miller, davis and the rest of the unwashed look remarkably easy amongst other feats of defensive brilliance, not his best game though1:greengrin

HIBERNIAN-0762
14-02-2010, 04:07 PM
I thought he was ******!. Ushering the ball out? aye against Lafferty he stupidly put it out for a corner!, needs dropped imo, I get nervy when he's on the ball, almost like Maka really

greenlex
14-02-2010, 04:09 PM
If the stepover had come off we would all be adding millions to his value. :wink:

bingo70
14-02-2010, 04:11 PM
who would he be dropped for? cause if people seriously believe hanlon is better than him then thats concerning.

Don't know why you would use a thread about Bamba to have a pop at Hanlon when he had a good game today :confused:

Bamba shouldn't be dropped and this thread is a knee jerk reaction IMO, he's been absolutely terrific for us this season so i don't see any reason to drop him

Elephant Stone
14-02-2010, 04:25 PM
:bitchy:

I thought he had a good game. With the exception of the step-over infront of our goal I can't remember anything at all he did wrong.

blackpoolhibs
14-02-2010, 04:28 PM
The whole team should be dropped, i mean imagine losing to rangers away?

bingo70
14-02-2010, 04:34 PM
The whole team should be dropped, i mean imagine losing to rangers away?

:agree:

I'm absolutely raging, proof (as if any were needed) we're serious relegation candidates now.

Everyone is pish

3pm
14-02-2010, 04:37 PM
:bitchy:

I thought he had a good game. With the exception of the step-over infront of our goal I can't remember anything at all he did wrong.

Couple of stray passes but that's it.

I am not sure he's Premiership material as some do but I do think it's too easy for him up here and it affects his concentration levels. I actually thought he had the cigars out for huge chunks of the game.

Hibby Bairn
Thought Bamba played well today as did Hanlon. The pen changed the game. Get over it ffs.

The_Horde
Bamba has been a liability since he came back, his heads just full of air at the minute. :agree:

fife hfc
14-02-2010, 04:39 PM
Bamba was no worse than any other defender today and there seems to be a movement to make him the new scapegoat from a certain section of people on this board.

Drop him:faf: He IS our best defender and was okay today, as said earlier he made no contact with Miller at their penalty and was unlucky. Big Sol is one of the main reasons we have been so good defensively this season.

Latapy1911
14-02-2010, 04:39 PM
Bamba had a great game, one of the best defenders in the league, he shouldnt be dropped at all

Big Frank
14-02-2010, 06:10 PM
Bamba (and hanlon) were excellant today.

Rankgers and their fans are all bawbags.

zlatan
14-02-2010, 06:15 PM
He shouldn't just be dropped, he should be shot, shot dead in the face.

See, I can type silly posts to.

Allant1981
14-02-2010, 06:17 PM

everyone is entitled to their own opinion so there is no point having cheap digs at the guy, I have also been critical of Bamba since he came back from Africa. Not saying he should be dropped but im not going to come out with stupid statements like urs

Sean1875
14-02-2010, 06:19 PM
nut.

zlatan
14-02-2010, 06:20 PM
everyone is entitled to their own opinion so there is no point having cheap digs at the guy, I have also been critical of Bamba since he came back from Africa. Not saying he should be dropped but im not going to come out with stupid statements like urs

I'm sorry, it's just that he's dissing my beloved on Valentines Day and I'm a sensitive guy when it comes to being mean to my Solly Wolly. :boo hoo:

CropleyWasGod
14-02-2010, 06:23 PM
I'm sorry, it's just that he's dissing my beloved on Valentines Day and I'm a sensitive guy when it comes to being mean to my Solly Wolly. :boo hoo:

Don't fret. he's not worth it. For one thing, I hear he's far too long in the shower. :devil:

Shrekko
14-02-2010, 06:36 PM
I thought he was 90% superb today- one or two wee gaffe's but no big deal . No way in the world could we even think about dropping him.

Big question in reality is...can Yogi justify dropping Hanlon again? He's playing superbly IMO.

Capt Mainwaring
14-02-2010, 07:36 PM
No - definately not.

Can you see a theme emerging from this thread yet?

weonlywon6-2
14-02-2010, 07:38 PM

i think he`s to big a player for us to be dropped. if he kept making mistakes then maybe,but no,keep playing him

jws1875
14-02-2010, 08:10 PM
Think he needs to have some rest if you ask me. Ever since the loss in the african nations he really has turned bad don't mistake me but bamba is a very very good player :thumbsup:

Toaods
14-02-2010, 08:12 PM
I won't bother asking you then...:bye:

Toaods
14-02-2010, 08:18 PM
If the stepover had come off we would all be adding millions to his value. :wink:

Perhaps if the keeper had shouted for him to clear it into row Z that's what would have happened. He appeared to make that point to Smith afterwards.

Ari Gold
14-02-2010, 08:22 PM
No chance.

I was at the game today and can count numerous times when he bailed us out by putting in important challenges in and aorund the box. he looked solid and held off boyd many times in the game. Hardly a bad game, a few poor decisions but no more than anyone else on the park.

Too drop him would be mental, He is one of our best players and strongest defenders. If he was having weekly calamities I'd agree, but that is not nearly the case.

RoslinInstHibby
14-02-2010, 08:25 PM
fair enough, just me then lol, on reflection and after watching the game again, i think i am being a bit harsh on the big man. I would still say that he has not been as good since he came back from Angola.

hibeenicol
14-02-2010, 08:26 PM
Drop him, infact sack the whole team they were terrible. Imagine getting beat from the top of the league shocking just shocking.

Bambas been class all season and I didn't see him do much wrong today either. Were sitting third in the league great chance to go finish second, european football next year but folk on this board and at the games still have to come out with all this crap.
Me personally I'm very happy to be a hibee enjoying the football were playing.

RoslinInstHibby
14-02-2010, 08:26 PM

tad harsh, i only asked a question

One Day Soon
14-02-2010, 08:28 PM
Despite a very obvious single gaffe, Bamba was still absolutely outstanding today and was just about our man of the match seeing as he played superbly in both halves unlike a lot of the rest of the side.

sadtom
14-02-2010, 10:09 PM
Strong, confident, detemined. A real driving force with no little ability.
Had a great game.

Watching some of those hun phannies bouncing of him as he strolled off with the ball is something i've witnessed far too rarely in my lifetime.

'Mon the big man! Kick there erchies and make mugs of them at the same time...Marvellous.

If the 'dummy' had worked it would have been sheer class.
The way we want to play the game is in itself a risk.
We cannot be too critical when individuals take these risks.
I want Bamba to 'step out' with ball, not just hoof it. (i know there is a time and place)
Its gonna cause the odd hairy moment...but i wouldn't want it any other way.
It makes things interesting and exciting, as well as joyous and pretty.

If you want it dull, souless, mundane and ugly as sin...then i could suggest another venue.

Ed De Gramo
14-02-2010, 10:10 PM

:top marks

As much I love big Sol,

He's no been the same since the ACON imo....he's was angering Smith & Hogg big time with some of his defending....it should be Hanlon & Hoggy at CH until Bamba merits a game

Ari Gold
14-02-2010, 10:18 PM

As much I love big Sol,

He's no been the same since the ACON imo....he's was angering Smith & Hogg big time with some of his defending....it should be Hanlon & Hoggy at CH until Bamba merits a game

???

"until he merits a game" He does, the game he played today MORE than merits that he should start for us.

Ed De Gramo
14-02-2010, 10:21 PM
???

"until he merits a game" He does, the game he played today MORE than merits that he should start for us.

we had a good centre pairing with Hogg & Hanlon at Centre Half, that was disrupted against St Mirren and almost cost us the game...

Big90inOz
14-02-2010, 10:53 PM
Thought Bamba was immense yesterday :agree:

The idea of dropping him..... are you nuts :devil:

IndieHibby
15-02-2010, 12:05 AM
Bamba's natural characteristics (height, strength) mean that he will rarely get bullied by any of the spl forwards.

He is gaining in experience every match and in time he will iron out the times where his decision making lets him down. When Bamba makes mistakes (which are becoming fewer and fewer, imo) it's because he lets his frustration or ego get the better of him.

We have 4 (yes, four!) decent CB's now which means first pick at the back are:

LB - Murray
CB - Bamba
CB - Hogg/Hanlon
RB - ?

I was pretty impressed by Hanlon against Celtic and Rangers today, thought he coped very well. Which means that I think that Hogg should play RB for a while.

Allowing Spoony to play RM - his attacking play is reminiscent of Whittaker tbh and his defensive ability is enough for midfield (but not enough for defence)

Play Miller and McBride (when fit, Rankin when not) with Zemamma at LM and Stokes and Riordan up front. I desperately want to see Riordan up front. I think he and stokes have built up a competitive relationship which would drive them both forward if they played together long enough.

Sorry - this thread was supposed to be about Bamba!

blackpoolhibs
15-02-2010, 08:05 AM
Bamba's natural characteristics (height, strength) mean that he will rarely get bullied by any of the spl forwards.

He is gaining in experience every match and in time he will iron out the times where his decision making lets him down. When Bamba makes mistakes (which are becoming fewer and fewer, imo) it's because he lets his frustration or ego get the better of him.

We have 4 (yes, four!) decent CB's now which means first pick at the back are:

LB - Murray
CB - Bamba
CB - Hogg/Hanlon
RB - ?

I was pretty impressed by Hanlon against Celtic and Rangers today, thought he coped very well. Which means that I think that Hogg should play RB for a while.

Allowing Spoony to play RM - his attacking play is reminiscent of Whittaker tbh and his defensive ability is enough for midfield (but not enough for defence)

Play Miller and McBride (when fit, Rankin when not) with Zemamma at LM and Stokes and Riordan up front. I desperately want to see Riordan up front. I think he and stokes have built up a competitive relationship which would drive them both forward if they played together long enough.

Sorry - this thread was supposed to be about Bamba!

:top marks Spot on, that would be our strongest lineup imho, but Yogi knows best, and has done well enough without my advise.:thumbsup:

SaudiHibby
15-02-2010, 08:10 AM
He should move into the middle of the pitch with Miller. He wants to play too much football at the back for my liking. We wouldn't be as 'bullied' as we are with him playing with Miller in the middle and he would be free to express himself. Just my penniesworth :agree:

blackpoolhibs
15-02-2010, 08:14 AM
He should move into the middle of the pitch with Miller. He wants to play too much football at the back for my liking. We wouldn't be as 'bullied' as we are with him playing with Miller in the middle and he would be free to express himself. Just my penniesworth :agree:

I know we are all entitled to our own opinion, but i cant see why people want to break up the best defence we have had in years, by taking out the best defender in that unit?:confused:

Phil MaGlass
15-02-2010, 08:14 AM
We all like Sol but theres no way he should have played so soon after coming back from the AN,death threats dont help.He has looked decidedly shaky and Iwas screaming at him yesterday.Have to add I thought Hogg was pi5h with supporting players while going forward, a couple of times he would give the ball forward then he would fall back leaving the boy with the ball isolated,drives me mad at times.

SaudiHibby
15-02-2010, 08:40 AM
I know we are all entitled to our own opinion, but i cant see why people want to break up the best defence we have had in years, by taking out the best defender in that unit?:confused:

I know you shouldn't judge him on yesterday alone :rolleyes: but I have seen him play in a similar nonchalant way before :rolleyes:.

On two occassions yesterday (trying to be clever by shielding the ball near the corner flag and his step over) he could easily have cost us goals. I get the feeling watching him that he genuinly believes he is too good for this league and that he can play his way out of bother. In this league that can be costly.

Again just my opinion of course

jdships
15-02-2010, 08:44 AM
Don't know why you would use a thread about Bamba to have a pop at Hanlon when he had a good game today :confused:

Bamba shouldn't be dropped and this thread is a knee jerk reaction IMO, he's been absolutely terrific for us this season so i don't see any reason to drop him

Thank you for a common sense post !!!:thumbsup:

YetholmHibee
15-02-2010, 08:51 AM
I will only comment on what I saw - the 2nd half.

IMHO I thought Bamba's postioning & descision making were very poor in all 3 Rangers goals. Have another look at the goals & study Bamba's movement, decision making & positioning. Especially the first goal.

Also, some people must have short memories - what about the defeat to Rangers before Xmas (Before African Cup). How bad was Bamba in that game & yet again his movement, decision making & positioning in the Rangers defeat at home were costly again.

So forget about the African Cup excuse -there is a before & after similar story!

Going forward I have accepted that Bamba (as with Dunfermline too) in the big games he is going to play great but will always do something costly.

It could of been a different story if Hibs scored in the first half after their great play?

Oscar Lomax
15-02-2010, 09:18 AM

Why should you get pelter's mate?....Bamba is nowhere near the player he is made out to be by Hibs supporter's.
I commented the other day about him and previously. For me, I just dont get what fans see in him. As Ive said before, yes he has improved as a player but he is far to casual. He tries to beat a man or do something ludicrous with the ball instead of clearing the danger and not putting his team mate's in trouble.
He has somewhat off a cult status amongst Hibs fans but me personally, Id rather see a centre half being brought in and Bamba sold to the highest bidder. Anything over a million pounds would suit me.

Booked4Being-Ugly
15-02-2010, 09:23 AM
I will only comment on what I saw - the 2nd half.

IMHO I thought Bamba's postioning & descision making were very poor in all 3 Rangers goals. Have another look at the goals & study Bamba's movement, decision making & positioning. Especially the first goal.

Also, some people must have short memories - what about the defeat to Rangers before Xmas (Before African Cup). How bad was Bamba in that game & yet again his movement, decision making & positioning in the Rangers defeat at home were costly again.

So forget about the African Cup excuse -there is a before & after similar story!

Going forward I have accepted that Bamba (as with Dunfermline too) in the big games he is going to play great but will always do something costly.

It could of been a different story if Hibs scored in the first half after their great play?Pretty much on the money. People have a romanticized view of big Sol and there's no doubt he's been a brilliant signing for us but in the games you mentioned above he was out of sorts and a bit erratic! He is a better player than this though and with a bit of composure will be back to his best!

Part/Time Supporter
15-02-2010, 09:29 AM
Why should you get pelter's mate?....Bamba is nowhere near the player he is made out to be by Hibs supporter's.
I commented the other day about him and previously. For me, I just dont get what fans see in him. As Ive said before, yes he has improved as a player but he is far to casual. He tries to beat a man or do something ludicrous with the ball instead of clearing the danger and not putting his team mate's in trouble.
He has somewhat off a cult status amongst Hibs fans but me personally, Id rather see a centre half being brought in and Bamba sold to the highest bidder. Anything over a million pounds would suit me.

If that does happen, at least there is a ready made replacement in Hanlon, who has proven himself as a centre back in the two games in Glasgow. Before the African Cup, most folk on here were wondering what the heck Hibs were going to do about Bamba being absent for a month.

I still think the bigger long term need is a right back, allowing Wotherspoon to move to his natural midfield position, having had the benefit of a season's experience at right back. I don't think Hogg at right back is a viable medium term option, although it was justifiable yesterday.

Oscar Lomax
15-02-2010, 09:38 AM
If that does happen, at least there is a ready made replacement in Hanlon, who has proven himself as a centre back in the two games in Glasgow. Before the African Cup, most folk on here were wondering what the heck Hibs were going to do about Bamba being absent for a month.

I still think the bigger long term need is a right back, allowing Wotherspoon to move to his natural midfield position, having had the benefit of a season's experience at right back. I don't think Hogg at right back is a viable medium term option, although it was justifiable yesterday.

Agree 100%. It just amazes me how some player's get more support and backing than others though. A few post's back someone wrote Bamba was outstanding today apart from a few gaffs....It's the gaffs from him that cost us goals!!!
Hanlon looks really good. He is comfortable with the ball at his feet, can get stuck in and looks mature for his age.
A right back as you say is also a priority.

CyberSauzee
15-02-2010, 09:42 AM
Easy to see on the odd occasion why the Pars fans called him Bombscare Bamba. That step over :rolleyes:

But when he does the simple things he's outstanding at times - more Brickwall Bamba than bombscare.

ScottB
15-02-2010, 10:24 AM
I suggested this in the match thread and was mostly shot to pieces for it, but let's consider the facts...

Since his return he's scored an Own Goal, missed a sitter, got in the way of teammates in goal scoring opportunities, gave away a daft penalty and generally looked out of sorts in terms of communication and positioning with his teammates.

Now, for the record I think Bamba is a cracking player. But simply being a cracking player shouldn't guarantee him a starting spot. Hanlon was in a rich vein of form and in IMO should have kept his spot rather than Bamba getting straight back into the team. Personally I would now drop Bamba for a game or two till he gets his head sorted.

J-C
15-02-2010, 10:27 AM
With Hanlon getting better every game, would it not be a good idea to stick Bamba back into midfield like last year and let him command that area with his tackling and his drive.

Oscar Lomax
15-02-2010, 10:28 AM
I suggested this in the match thread and was mostly shot to pieces for it, but let's consider the facts...

Since his return he's scored an Own Goal, missed a sitter, got in the way of teammates in goal scoring opportunities, gave away a daft penalty and generally looked out of sorts in terms of communication and positioning with his teammates.

Now, for the record I think Bamba is a cracking player. But simply being a cracking player shouldn't guarantee him a starting spot. Hanlon was in a rich vein of form and in IMO should have kept his spot rather than Bamba getting straight back into the team. Personally I would now drop Bamba for a game or two till he gets his head sorted.

BoltonHibee
15-02-2010, 10:38 AM
Bamba and Hanlon at CB, Ian Murray left back and at the moment Wotherspoon at RB.

Part/Time Supporter
15-02-2010, 11:14 AM
With Hanlon getting better every game, would it not be a good idea to stick Bamba back into midfield like last year and let him command that area with his tackling and his drive.

If McBride is going to be out for a while again...

:hmmm:

MussyHibby
15-02-2010, 11:47 AM

Consider yourself shot again.

Should he be dropped?

Categorically, emphatically, unquestionably.................no!

Caroline Hibby
15-02-2010, 02:08 PM
Bamba is like Caldwell and suffers from a superiority complex. Yesterday he displayed all of his qualities and weaknesses. He can muscle guys off the ball really well and is excellent in the air, blah, blah. But his decision making is horrendous and distribution is average and he is the proverbial car crash. That in itself, is bad enough, but the bigger issue is the negative impact it has on his teammates. No wonder Smith was shaking his head after The Bam tried a stepover in his own 6 yard box. Why would you do that? Because he thinks he's exceptional. He's not. I'd sell him. How well did we do without him? He doesn't even score that many goals, so why run the risk?

GreenCastle
15-02-2010, 02:10 PM
No don't drop him.

Stick by him or move him to defensive midfield - where he did well last season.

Would allow Wootherspoon, Hanlon, Hogg, Murray as a back four.

BoltonHibee
15-02-2010, 02:28 PM
Bamba is like Caldwell and suffers from a superiority complex. Yesterday he displayed all of his qualities and weaknesses. He can muscle guys off the ball really well and is excellent in the air, blah, blah. But his decision making is horrendous and distribution is average and he is the proverbial car crash. That in itself, is bad enough, but the bigger issue is the negative impact it has on his teammates. No wonder Smith was shaking his head after The Bam tried a stepover in his own 6 yard box. Why would you do that? Because he thinks he's exceptional. He's not. I'd sell him. How well did we do without him? He doesn't even score that many goals, so why run the risk?

Oh dear. Bamba has been immense for 2 seasons now in midfield and at center back. Yes the step over was a mistake, over confidence perhaps.

The rest of your post i think is utter bollox

Caroline Hibby
15-02-2010, 06:28 PM
Oh dear. Bamba has been immense for 2 seasons now in midfield and at center back. Yes the step over was a mistake, over confidence perhaps.

The rest of your post i think is utter bollox

Fair enough, all about opinions I suppose, but I stand by my comments which, when I read back, hold more substance than yours. Would be interesting to know why my views are considered 'blx'.

BoltonHibee
15-02-2010, 06:36 PM
Fair enough, all about opinions I suppose, but I stand by my comments which, when I read back, hold more substance than yours. Would be interesting to know why my views are considered 'blx'.

Reads the game very well, Strong in the air (Like commanding Centre Halves in the EPL), great in the tackle, strong athletic and quick.

He is the best CH I have seen at ER in many a year. He was a revelation too in midfield last season.

There is not 1 CB that is currently playing in the SPL that I would have in before him.

I think you are probably just on the wind up:wink:

flash
15-02-2010, 06:40 PM

I would imagine it's because you are talking mince.

flash
15-02-2010, 06:43 PM
How can the punters who want Sol either dropped or even punted enjoy watching fitba when they clearly have no knowledge about it whatsoever?

If my eyes were painted on i simply wouldn't waste my hard earned cash.

ahibby
15-02-2010, 06:43 PM
It might already have been said but after that step over and taking the ball out of play for a corner you'd think he had already been dropped....... on his head ... as a child. Okay not funny but what he did was like hitting your funny bone, do you laugh or cry. It they had scored from the step over who would be so generous on this net to say it could happen to anyone likewise if they had scored from the needless corner he gave away. I still like the big guy as a player though and I think the occasion got to him. Defenders usually play safe but not big Sol, like someone already posted he is maybe at the moment over confident. Just being confident will be good enough. He will come back to earth, hopefully.

One Day Soon
15-02-2010, 06:46 PM

Um, because they are bollox?

blackpoolhibs
15-02-2010, 06:46 PM
Reads the game very well, Strong in the air (Like commanding Centre Halves in the EPL), great in the tackle, strong athletic and quick.

He is the best CH I have seen at ER in many a year. He was a revelation too in midfield last season.

There is not 1 CB that is currently playing in the SPL that I would have in before him.

Yip me too, he's a fantastic player for us, perhaps guilty of doing a little too much at times, but we will see just how good he is when he's gone. He bullys most centre forwards, organises very well, he drives the team forward, and he is also good at the other end of the park too . A more commanding player i have yet to see at Hibs. I think some people just get themselves into a state of panic when our defenders get the ball. The game has moved forward from centre halves just booting it anywhere, they need to be calm under pressure these days.

Mibbes Aye
15-02-2010, 06:50 PM
I don't think I've ever seen a player try that before, for obvious reasons.

I think Yogi might need to have a word and tell him just get back to basics and show the composure we know he's capable of. We seen that at points through the game today but he needs to get that consistency back soon.

When it comes to audacity in the box, I'm always put in mind of Steven Whittaker against Dnipro. Finds the ball at his feet on his six-yard line and dribbles past three opposition players on his way out the penalty box :thumbsup:

Bamba's good by the standards of a Hibs centre-half. Trick is to get a higher standard. We should be looking to improve on Bamba, Hogg or Hanlon in the same way that Smith and Brown (and Stack) could be argued as an improvement on Maka and McNeill, and in the same way that the likes of Miller and Stokes are clear improvements.

At the same time, that shouldn't hinder our current players from retaining their places if their performance improves, as a consequence of playing with better colleagues and better-realising their potential under Yogi's regime. It's a balancing act.

Would be reluctant to unnecessarily disrupt the Miller-McBride axis in midfield by pushing Bamba forward. I really liked him as a defensive midfielder but he wasn't the same sort of player as McBride IMO, so even as an injury stand-in I'm not sure he's the best solution, if we want to retain our tactical shape.

Oscar Lomax
15-02-2010, 06:54 PM

I don't agree with this at all. It's fair to say, I think we are watching two different players.
I was never the biggest fan off Rob Jone's but by god, he was better than Bamba. As posted previously, why should we watch him put his fellow players at risk for the sake off him trying to do something he clearly does not have the ability to do ?
Term's like 'immense' and 'a revelation' are just way over the top.
To compare him to commanding EPL centre half's like Richard Dunn, Jaimie Carragher or John Terry is simply outrageous.....but we all have our opinions off a player.

Part/Time Supporter
15-02-2010, 06:55 PM
I don't agree with this at all. It's fair to say, I think we are watching two different players.
I was never the biggest fan off Rob Jone's but by god, he was better than Bamba. As posted previously, why should we watch him put his fellow players at risk for the sake off him trying to do something he clearly does not have the ability to do ?
To compare him to commanding EPL centre half's like Richard Dunn, Jaimie Carragher or John Terry is simply outrageous.....but we all have our opinions off a player.

Slow as a week in jail, though.

Jones' best games were those two against the OF at the end of last season where Mixu basically parked the bus (ie there was no way that any lack of pace in the defence could be exploited).

BoltonHibee
15-02-2010, 06:57 PM

I would be very surprised if Bamba is not plying his trade in the EPL next season as a centre half.

I liked Rob Jones, but in Bamba I think we have a better replacement.

I am not saying that he is at the level of a RD or JT at this stage of his career, but I am sure he will develop further over the coming years.

What CB that is playing in the SPL at this moment would you rather see in place of Bamba?

Bishop Hibee
15-02-2010, 06:59 PM
He's come on leaps and bounds for us. A good signing by Mixu. He'd be one of the first names on the team sheet for me. I thought he had a decent game on Sunday. He used his strength on many occasions to hold off Huns and tried to pass the ball rather than hoof it.

cannastar
15-02-2010, 07:03 PM
i really like sol as a player his adaptabillity has proved invaluable but at the moment i would also rather see hanlon start in centre of defence.its the best way for paul to learn the position and if bamba is going to move on at the end of the season then we need to be giving someone else the chance to establish themselves.i have to admit being dissapointed with sols performance yesterday particularly as id been talking him up to my mate who is a big chelsea supporter.he was shaking his head watching the guy who i was championing must have thought i was mad. i really did expect sol to take charge of the game and to be fair he did for most of the first half,but in the second he was caught out on more than one occassion.we need more solidity in that position and as said earlier hanlon in that role would appear to me to be the logical soloution at the moment.yes i agree move sol into the midfield for the time being certainly for as long as mcbride is absent which may be longer than we would hope for.

Oscar Lomax
15-02-2010, 07:06 PM
I would be very surprised if Bamba is not plying his trade in the EPL next season as a centre half.

I am not saying that he is at the level of a RD or JT at this stage of his career, but I am sure he will develop further over the coming years.

What CB that is playing in the SPL at this moment would you rather see in place of Bamba?

That's not exactly a fair question. Im sure Hibs could pick up a Centre Half from the lower league's in England or maybe France or Spain. Football is a global playing field now....players are accesible from all over the world.
To answer your question though, I think Andy Webster is a better player.

One Day Soon
15-02-2010, 07:09 PM

Fantastic. Are you related to Tommy Cooper in some way?

I would not take Jones back in a lucky bag. He could head the ball but then with his height it would be astonishing if he couldn't. One trick pony in the opposition box who was quickly sussed and snuffed. Couldn't run, couldn't pass, regularly caught way out of position, had a great knack of playing average goalkeepers into trouble and then blaming them for not taking control. Hibs' first silent captain. And let's not forget his role in the rebellion.

Jones went to Scunthorpe. Bamba will not be going anywhere quite so mundane.

Next.

Part/Time Supporter
15-02-2010, 07:11 PM
That's not exactly a fair question. Im sure Hibs could pick up a Centre Half from the lower league's in England or maybe France or Spain. Football is a global playing field now....players are accesible from all over the world.
To answer your question though, I think Andy Webster is a better player.

Who is on far more dosh, and will be playing for the Huns regularly next season.

Qwestion next.

:greengrin

ahibby
15-02-2010, 07:14 PM
Interesting is this comparison between Jones and Bamba. Bamba gets my vote. Jones was a more no nonsense defender who would play safe more than Bamba but I think Bamba has more football in him and I do think that forwards are cautious if not at times feared of him.

blackpoolhibs
15-02-2010, 07:15 PM

Who is doing that? I'd say he's better than calamity caldwell, or titus bramble. Id say he's better than quite a few central defenders in the lower half of the EPL. You seem to be the only one comparing Bamba to John Terry. :faf:

Oscar Lomax
15-02-2010, 07:17 PM
Fantastic. Are you related to Tommy Cooper in some way?

I would not take Jones back in a lucky bag. He could head the ball but then with his height it would be astonishing if he couldn't. One trick pony in the opposition box who was quickly sussed and snuffed. Couldn't run, couldn't pass, regularly caught way out of position, had a great knack of playing average goalkeepers into trouble and then blaming them for not taking control. Hibs' first silent captain. And let's not forget his role in the rebellion.

Jones went to Scunthorpe. Bamba will not be going anywhere quite so mundane.

Next.

If you care to read my post I said I was never Jone's biggest fan but I consider him a better centre half than Bamba. Thats my opinion.
If you think Bamba could hack it in the EPL against strikers from even the BOTTOM half of the league, you must be Gwen Copper, his long loast wife!

BoltonHibee
15-02-2010, 07:20 PM
Interesting is this comparison between Jones and Bamba. Bamba gets my vote. Jones was a more nonsense defender who would play safe more than Bamba but I think Bamba has more football in him and I do think that forwards are cautious if not at times feared of him.

I think you are right

Football is changing now, and the day has come ( or been with us a while) where CB's are a different breed.

Footballing CB's as opposed to Just big lumps who can blooter the ball/ opposition or head.

On the continent they breed them where they are comfortable on the ball, can pass the ball out of defence and can drive forward. They are not scared to leave CB's on their own with the same number of forwards. ( IE: do not have to have a man over).

Bamba strikes me as one of these players. That is why there is a lot of interest in him from the English leagues, I would say teams on the continent would be looking at him also.

BoltonHibee
15-02-2010, 07:23 PM
If you care to read my post I said I was never Jone's biggest fan but I consider him a better centre half than Bamba. Thats my opinion.
If you think Bamba could hack it in the EPL against strikers from even the BOTTOM half of the league, you must be Gwen Copper, his long loast wife!

You are so far off the mark.

One Day Soon
15-02-2010, 07:28 PM

I read your post in which you said "I was never the biggest fan off Rob Jone's but by god, he was better than Bamba". I conclude that your wife is putting hallucinogenic substances in your tea. Or you are Rob Jones' lover, or his agent or both.

Scunthorpe are fourth bottom of the Championship. Plenty of teams above them where Bamba would fit right in and some in the Premiership too. Rob Jones is punching above his weight even at lowly Scunthorpe.

Caroline Hibby
15-02-2010, 08:02 PM

I'm not on the wind up. Odd thing to say just because I have an opinion that's not the same as yours. Seems I have some like minded people reading this thread. I've played with and watched players with this sort of attitude for a long time. Guys that think they're (a lot) better than they are. Usually caused by others filling their heads with mince. Brebner, Stewart, McNeil are another few examples. To be fair, Bamba's not the worst - not by a mile, but he's certainly not EPL class - although he could develop into a much better player by playing to his strengths, rather than trying things he's really not able to do. The best example I can give of the right attitude is Ian Murray. Yep he makes mistakes too, but not stupid ones. As for a better centre half, Bhougerra (spelling propably wrong). Bigger, stronger ... My view for what it's worth.

blackpoolhibs
15-02-2010, 08:06 PM
I'm not on the wind up. Odd thing to say just because I have an opinion that's not the same as yours. Seems I have some like minded people reading this thread. I've played with and watched players with this sort of attitude for a long time. Guys that think they're (a lot) better than they are. Usually caused by others filling their heads with mince. Brebner, Stewart, McNeil are another few examples. To be fair, Bamba's not the worst - not by a mile, but he's certainly not EPL class - although he could develop into a much better player by playing to his strengths, rather than trying things he's really not able to do. The best example I can give of the right attitude is Ian Murray. Yep he makes mistakes too, but not stupid ones. As for a better centre half, Bhougerra (spelling propably wrong). Bigger, stronger ... My view for what it's worth.

Both imho will play in the EPL next season. No mince needed.

YetholmHibee
15-02-2010, 08:13 PM
It might already have been said but after that step over and taking the ball out of play for a corner you'd think he had already been dropped....... on his head ... as a child. Okay not funny but what he did was like hitting your funny bone, do you laugh or cry. It they had scored from the step over who would be so generous on this net to say it could happen to anyone likewise if they had scored from the needless corner he gave away. I still like the big guy as a player though and I think the occasion got to him. Defenders usually play safe but not big Sol, like someone already posted he is maybe at the moment over confident. Just being confident will be good enough. He will come back to earth, hopefully.

I forgot about that . . . he looked rather silly for that!

Oscar Lomax
15-02-2010, 08:15 PM

Agree 9.7 out of 10 because I played with Grany Brebner at school and he was just amazing to play with.....Think he would have been better suited in today's Hibs side than then.

blackpoolhibs
15-02-2010, 08:44 PM
Agree 9.7 out of 10 because I played with Grany Brebner at school and he was just amazing to play with.....Think he would have been better suited in today's Hibs side than then.

I wouldn't bet on it.

Westie1875
15-02-2010, 08:53 PM
I'd like us to go with a back 3 and use Spoony & Murray as wing backs, team I've posted on the St J thread is this;

Smith

Hogg
Bamba
Hanlon

Spoony
Zemmama
Miller
Rankin (McBride if he were fit)
Murray

Stokes
Deek

Part/Time Supporter
15-02-2010, 09:50 PM
I wouldn't bet on it.

Grant probably would though.

:duck: :wink:

blackpoolhibs
15-02-2010, 09:53 PM
Grant probably would though.

:duck: :wink:

:wink:

IberianHibernian
15-02-2010, 10:17 PM
Before winter window lots of folk were saying we`d sell Bamba then and if not then definitely in summer . What I`ve never seen mentioned is how much we`d get paid by FIFA for every day Bamba is with Ivory Coast squad for World Cup . In Spanish press , it was mentioned when Portugal and France were struggling to qualify for WC how much Real Madrid would lose if Portugal/France didn`t qualify - wasn`t just advertising for Cristiano but also FIFA payments - I thought it was 4000€ per day per player during squad "concentration " which would be at least 3 weeks . Maybe we got money when Ulises de la Cruz played in 2006 .

Ari Gold
15-02-2010, 11:08 PM
Rob Jones, better than Bamba..... Come on now. Bamba, is for very good reasons being touted as upto and perhaps beyond a £2-£3 million pound footballer.

Also, If you look at Madjid Bougherra who I think is a fantastic player and I strongly believe Rangers would have had a far harder time without him in the side on Sunday, has a lot of the same qualities as Sol, big laddie, can muscle attackers off the ball and is'nt afraid to charge into midfield and make plays from the back, and getting himself in amongst it at attacking corners and freekicks.

To drop him based on his current form would be mental. When you have a player this good in the squad, you play him. You let the younger laddies learn from him and you use him as an advantage. Which is exactly what Hughes is doing.

hibiedude
16-02-2010, 05:22 AM
Drop Bamba your having a laugh :faf:

Part/Time Supporter
16-02-2010, 07:15 AM
Before winter window lots of folk were saying we`d sell Bamba then and if not then definitely in summer . What I`ve never seen mentioned is how much we`d get paid by FIFA for every day Bamba is with Ivory Coast squad for World Cup . In Spanish press , it was mentioned when Portugal and France were struggling to qualify for WC how much Real Madrid would lose if Portugal/France didn`t qualify - wasn`t just advertising for Cristiano but also FIFA payments - I thought it was 4000€ per day per player during squad "concentration " which would be at least 3 weeks . Maybe we got money when Ulises de la Cruz played in 2006 .

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/leagues/premierleague/arsenal/3567086/Arsenal-biggest-Premier-League-winners-as-Uefa-pay-clubs-for-players-at-Euro-2008-football.html

The compensation works out at almost £3,500 per player per day.

If they hang in for about four weeks (bearing in mind that the players are brought together about 10 days before the tournament) that would be about £100K for one player, assuming that the WC rate is about the same as Euro 2008.

sam armstrong
16-02-2010, 07:22 AM

In a word. NO

MussyHibby
16-02-2010, 09:45 AM

How do you come to that conclusion? Have you met Sol? What does he do on the park that sugests he thinks he's better than he is?

One stepover does not constitute an arrogant over opinionated footballer, more a player who is never very keen on just hoofing the ball out the park.

Sol Bamba (I've met him once with my son - see avatar!) is a gentleman who is a tremendous footballer for Hibs.

Dinkydoo
16-02-2010, 11:36 AM
Thought that he's been pretty **** for the last few games IMHO - when compared with his usual standards. Seems to have a bit of arrogance about him these days - the stepover in his own box illustrates that. I can't say that he's done the 'simple stuff' all that great recently as well.

He needs to remember that he only got to play with the likes of Drogba because of his consistently good performances at Hibs.

I think Yogi needs to reiterate this to him.

Wotherspiniesta
16-02-2010, 05:44 PM
Bamba was brilliant for the first 70 minutes but he seemed to let the penalty incident effect his decision making after that. I wouldn't drop him, though Hanlon has been brilliant at CB recently. It's a nice headache for Hughes to have.:thumbsup:

Hibernating (Im a stoopid yam tramp)
16-02-2010, 05:58 PM
No way should he be dropped, the big man is class. Wasn't at fault for a weak referee on Sunday.

Caroline Hibby
16-02-2010, 09:01 PM
How do you come to that conclusion? Have you met Sol? What does he do on the park that sugests he thinks he's better than he is?

One stepover does not constitute an arrogant over opinionated footballer, more a player who is never very keen on just hoofing the ball out the park.

Sol Bamba (I've met him once with my son - see avatar!) is a gentleman who is a tremendous footballer for Hibs.

He's overplayed the ball on occasions too numerous to mention, which is why most Hibs supporters prefer him in midfield. He's young and impressionable and plays with world class players for IC. He comes home and thinks he's world class too. It's just the way he is, but it doesn't make him a bad person.

blackpoolhibs
16-02-2010, 10:48 PM
He's overplayed the ball on occasions too numerous to mention, which is why most Hibs supporters prefer him in midfield. He's young and impressionable and plays with world class players for IC. He comes home and thinks he's world class too. It's just the way he is, but it doesn't make him a bad person.

:faf::faf::faf:

The Harp Awakes
16-02-2010, 11:04 PM
No

George Clooney
17-02-2010, 09:10 AM
Bamba doesn't want to play tonight. He doesn't want to play for Hibs full stop.
He didn't want to play on Sunday saying that he was "injured" but it was pointed out to him that it was the major game on Sky so he changed his mind.
Players are given a day off on Monday unless you are injured - There's no days off for the physios and masseurs and if you are injured you must report in on Monday.
Bamba came in on Tuesday and said he was injured.
Will he play tonight? NFC!
Totally disliked at the club now.

lyonhibs
17-02-2010, 09:27 AM
He didn't want to play on Sunday saying that he was "injured" but it was pointed out to him that it was the major game on Sky so he changed his mind.
Players are given a day off on Monday unless you are injured - There's no days off for the physios and masseurs and if you are injured you must report in on Monday.

Sauce?? - Sounds like you've got some juicy inside info there??!!

Regarding the OP, whilst Bamba's head was slightly in the clouds for the first 20 minutes of his first game back from the ACN, overall, and after much thought, my answer would have to be:

Naw.

Booked4Being-Ugly
17-02-2010, 09:37 AM
Totally disliked at the club now.Is this another one of your 'exclusives'?

"Watch out for the Samba/Bamba centre back partnership at Blackburn in Feb." :rolleyes:

Jim44
17-02-2010, 04:03 PM

:rolleyes:
If Bamba doesn't play tonight we might struggle to get something out of the game.

ScottB
17-02-2010, 04:11 PM
If Bamba doesn't play tonight we might struggle to get something out of the game.

I wouldn't go that far, Hanlon is more than capable of filling in.

Jim44
17-02-2010, 06:41 PM

I wonder who twisted his arm? :greengrin

blackpoolhibs
17-02-2010, 06:45 PM

:faf::faf: sniff sniff.

Oscar Lomax
17-02-2010, 06:46 PM

blackpoolhibs
17-02-2010, 06:48 PM

Well done, thats 2 of you now. :faf:

One Day Soon
17-02-2010, 06:56 PM
:faf::faf: sniff sniff.

You're not kidding. Pass the gas mask.

HIBERNIAN-0762
17-02-2010, 08:03 PM
By the sound of it tonight his erse really does need to be on the bench

hfcok
17-02-2010, 08:14 PM
yes,since he came back the defence have been really poor,how good were we when he was away.he thinks hes a world beater,and better than everyone else.

Saorsa
17-02-2010, 08:17 PM
Bamba still undropable?

.Sean.
17-02-2010, 08:21 PM
Bamba to the EPL :faf:

hibee_girl
17-02-2010, 08:22 PM
Yes he needs dropped, he should never have walked straight back into the team

RoslinInstHibby
17-02-2010, 08:24 PM
anyone else changing their mind after tonight?

SvenNeil
17-02-2010, 08:24 PM
Jesus Bamba, ACN definately gone to his head :grr:

Scorrie
17-02-2010, 08:27 PM

Mmmm. Not quite worked out that way> In answer to the OP's question? Drop him.

YetholmHibee
17-02-2010, 08:27 PM
Well done, thats 2 of you now. :faf:

Make that 3 of us!

Are you going to come on & defend Bamba on tonight's performance :faf::faf:

RoslinInstHibby
17-02-2010, 08:28 PM
i am not just blaming bamba for tonight, they have all been awful, but 2 pens in 2 games is surely not acceptable?

ScottB
17-02-2010, 08:30 PM
So, will be interesting to see what all the 'he's too good to be dropped' folk think now.

He needs benched.

blackpoolhibs
17-02-2010, 08:32 PM
Make that 3 of us!

Are you going to come on & defend Bamba on tonight's performance :faf::faf:

No i wont defend him, but understand he's had a bad game, all players have them. Obviously not been to the game tonight, can you tell me who has had a good game?:confused:

ScottB
17-02-2010, 08:37 PM
No i wont defend him, but understand he's had a bad game, all players have them. Obviously not been to the game tonight, can you tell me who has had a good game?:confused:

More to the point, Bamba has had a series of poor performances since he came back. A spell on the bench might bring his head back from the clouds.

He's been damn good for us this season, but not the last few weeks.

blackpoolhibs
17-02-2010, 08:41 PM
More to the point, Bamba has had a series of poor performances since he came back. A spell on the bench might bring his head back from the clouds.

He's been damn good for us this season, but not the last few weeks.

I dont agree, he was superb against St Mirren, unlucky with the own goal. Again against Aberdeen, drove the team forward in the 2nd half. And again againt the huns, had a very good game. :confused:

JimBHibees
17-02-2010, 08:41 PM
i am not just blaming bamba for tonight, they have all been awful, but 2 pens in 2 games is surely not acceptable?

Except Sunday's was a complete dive.

HibeeUnderwood
17-02-2010, 09:06 PM
To answer the whole thing quickly

Yes :agree:

His performances since returning from ACON have been very poor, for the next game our back 4 should be

DR Wotherspoon
DC Hogg
DC Murray
DL Hanlon

Have Bamba on the bench because that will hopefully show him that poor performances leads you to sitting on your erse instead of playing the game :agree:

Hibby 2005
17-02-2010, 09:11 PM
The problem if we don't play him is that he'll not be in the shop window.

Saorsa
17-02-2010, 09:13 PM
The problem if we don't play him is that he'll not be in the shop window.I couldnae care less if he's in the shop windae, getting things back on track is mair important and I think we'll dae that better without him in the defence at this time.

archiebald
17-02-2010, 09:14 PM
Dont we have 11 players on the pitch ?

MussyHibby
17-02-2010, 09:25 PM
I dont agree, he was superb against St Mirren, unlucky with the own goal. Again against Aberdeen, drove the team forward in the 2nd half. And again againt the huns, had a very good game. :confused:

In the way we exagerate Miller's qualities (dodgy for opening 2 goals tonight) we exagerate Bamba's apparent poor form. To continue to answer the question, no, no, no, no, definately no!

blackpoolhibs
17-02-2010, 09:40 PM
To answer the whole thing quickly

Yes :agree:

His performances since returning from ACON have been very poor, for the next game our back 4 should be

DR Wotherspoon
DC Hogg
DC Murray
DL Hanlon

Have Bamba on the bench because that will hopefully show him that poor performances leads you to sitting on your erse instead of playing the game :agree:

No its not, he's been good. Ok tonight he might have had a bad one, but to say he's been very poor is just plain wrong imho, and i must be watching a different player to you.

noseyhibby
17-02-2010, 09:46 PM
Tonights showing from Bamba on the back of other post-Africa blues, under-par performances, can only mean one thing for me if I were manager -Drop him. A spell on the benches and some behind-the-scenes mental therapy might bring Sol back to where he was in early December.

Hibby 2005
17-02-2010, 09:47 PM
Hogg was nowhere for the 2nd goal and looked lost at FB.

YetholmHibee
18-02-2010, 01:02 AM
No its not, he's been good. Ok tonight he might have had a bad one, but to say he's been very poor is just plain wrong imho, and i must be watching a different player to you.

I would not say he has been poor but he is not the great player a lot of people make him out to be. :agree:

I thought Bamba was completely rubbish in the second half of Rangers game - not a postive thing to say about the guy at all for the 3 goals.

Tonight, I would not condemn Bamba for first 2.

Positioning for one in second half along with hand ball in another I would critise him.