PDA

View Full Version : Reasons to be cheerful.

down the slope
14-02-2010, 03:25 PM
I thought today we had reached another level especially in the first half, i am usually filled with doom and gloom after a result like that but not this time.I thought rangers were seriously worried as they trooped off at half time and we had played the best football of the two teams
Some players were posted missing in the second half when we went behind and maybe changes could have been made earlier but i thought the score flattered Rangers as they were playing for time with half an hour to go.

Riordans Boots
14-02-2010, 03:28 PM
I thought today we had reached another level especially in the first half, i am usually filled with doom and gloom after a result like that but not this time.I thought rangers were seriously worried as they trooped off at half time and we had played the best football of the two teams
Some players were posted missing in the second half when we went behind and maybe changes could have been made earlier but i thought the score flattered Rangers as they were playing for time with half an hour to go.

I see what you're saying, but sadly I am gutted. - Changes should have been made and the outcome might never have been. At least we are still sitting at 3rd by a baw hair :greengrin

GlesgaeHibby
14-02-2010, 03:30 PM

:agree:

Rangers deserved it over the 90 minutes, but 1-0 would be an accurate reflection.

I thought Benji was excellent at holding up play, and bringing others into play today.

Overall I'm happy with the performance, would have liked to see a bit more in the final third though. Our final pass/crossing should have been better.

spudhib
14-02-2010, 03:38 PM
Yup,said elsewhere that was some of the best stuff we have played this season yet we got gubbed:confused:bring on the saints and hopefully 3 points.

Part/Time Supporter
14-02-2010, 03:41 PM
Yup,said elsewhere that was some of the best stuff we have played this season yet we got gubbed:confused:bring on the saints and hopefully 3 points.

For long spells it was better than the performance at Celtic Park.

I think this says more about the glaring weaknesses in Celtic's team than it does about Hibs.

shamo9
14-02-2010, 03:48 PM
If we win our next two games then we'll be in a much better position than we were last week. As long as lessons are learned then no harm done.

madabouthibs
14-02-2010, 03:59 PM
No way was 3-0 a fair reflection on that game. We were dominating when the panalty was given. IMO of course.
I thought we were the most likely to score next, and the penatly took the wind out our sails. :boo hoo:
Great game for 75 minutes though. :agree:

Woody1985
14-02-2010, 04:03 PM
We should have got some shots away earlier and stopped trying to pass the ball into the net. At one point we had the ball on the outside of the box with Murray, it went back to the midfield, then to the keeper, kicked out and whittaker ended up with the ball and they scored. Far too ofter we looked like we were stuck for ideas I thought.

I think a bit more confidence to have a go in the second half might have seen us get something from the game but I think that was all we were really lacking.

Some of the players just lost interest at two nil, throwing the hands up in the air, turning the other way and not facing the play. I think Rangers showed why they are champions, when they took the lead we never really looked like getting a sniff unfortunately.

YehButNoBut
14-02-2010, 04:09 PM
The St Johnstone game is huge for us now on Wednesday, they are no pushovers but it is agame we should be able to win.

If we do we will be 4 points ahead of Utd in 4th and 11 points ahead of Motherwell in 5th, it's a must win now IMO. :agree:

blackhibee
14-02-2010, 04:20 PM
I thought our midfield was better than theirs in the first half, but the end product just wasn't quite there, for me Stokes was isolated quite a lot during the game. Yogi has used the expression 'work in progress' in describing the team, and I think that is an accurate assesment. I thought the most important player for them was actually Boughera, without him they could well have been up for the taking today,just my opinion though. Whittaker's goal was a good goal,but a penalty and an unfortunate slip make this result look a lot more comprehensive than it actually was.

Hainan Hibs
14-02-2010, 04:41 PM
First half was great although we were just missing the final product. Zemmama and Benji linked brilliantly, I just wish that would happen every week!

Hopefully Gow will improve his match fitness and we will see better from him.

Next two games are crucial. Get maximum points and we are in a very strong position to take 3rd.

Sas_The_Hibby
14-02-2010, 04:52 PM
We generally played well until the last 15 minutes. Few chances created though and we gave the ball away a bit too often.

Benji was my MOTM. Thought Smith looked really composed too. Only disappointing player, IMO, was Bamba - at his 'bombscare' worst. I do like him as a player but I wish he would just do the simple safe thing sometimes.

Love the Green
14-02-2010, 07:37 PM
We generally played well until the last 15 minutes. Few chances created though and we gave the ball away a bit too often.

Benji was my MOTM. Thought Smith looked really composed too. Only disappointing player, IMO, was Bamba - at his 'bombscare' worst. I do like him as a player but I wish he would just do the simple safe thing sometimes.

Agree with thr Bamba coment but neither Gow or Stokes turned up
today thought they were shocking and meant we were actually playing with 9 men..no team can do that and expect to pick up anything thro there.

"keep the faith":wink:

weonlywon6-2
14-02-2010, 07:41 PM
No way was 3-0 a fair reflection on that game. We were dominating when the panalty was given. IMO of course.
I thought we were the most likely to score next, and the penatly took the wind out our sails. :boo hoo:
Great game for 75 minutes though. :agree:

couldnt agree more. rangers relaxed on getting the penalty,game over after that but 3-0 is harsh. the last wouldnt have happened normally if he hadnt got injured

down the slope
14-02-2010, 07:41 PM
Stokes had one of the games when his first touch was terrible but he was ploughing a lone furrow most of the time, for all that Benji was good he never got close to supporting him quickly enough.

stubru59
14-02-2010, 07:49 PM
Agree with thr Bamba coment but neither Gow or Stokes turned up
today thought they were shocking and meant we were actually playing with 9 men..no team can do that and expect to pick up anything thro there.

"keep the faith":wink:

Agree, Gow had a poor game. Stokes simply suffered from a lack of service.

King Paddy
14-02-2010, 08:51 PM
Yes we played nice football today but we never made their goalie make a decent save. I also noted that we ran out of steam in the second half why?. Especially Zouma and Miller. Old Wattie has it over the young pretender in Yogi at present but Rome was'nt built in a day. On an optimistic note we are building a stronger squad which will benefit us in the long term.

Expecting Rain
15-02-2010, 09:09 AM
Good first half restricted Rangers to very few opportunities, the second half turned on two moments, McGregor`s scrambled save then the very dubious penalty award, you could also add that Boyd should have seen red. The disappointments for me were the performances of Gow and Stokes, one virtually non existent and the other choosing to make the wrong decisions on several occasions, good players can have bad games though. There still looks like a lack of balance we seem to lose a lot of goals on the counter attack, still we are a work in progress but moving quickly in the right direction.

--------
15-02-2010, 09:41 AM
If we win our next two games then we'll be in a much better position than we were last week. As long as lessons are learned then no harm done.

The next four games are absolutely crucial. St Johnstone and Motherwell away, St Johnstone and Falkirk at home. The Arabs are only a point behind us now, and games in hand mean nothing if we lose them.

We need at least eight points (2 draws, 2 wins) from these games to set us up for the derby at the cesspit and the home fixtures against Dundee United and Celtic.

This wasn't a good start in terms of result but we need to get over it and get on.

Crunch time, I would say.

Expecting Rain
15-02-2010, 09:43 AM
The next four games are absolutely crucial. St Johnstone and Motherwell away, St Johnstone and Falkirk at home. The Arabs are only a point behind us now, and games in hand mean nothing if we lose them.

We need at least eight points (2 draws, 2 wins) from these games to set us up for the derby at the cesspit and the home fixtures against Dundee United and Celtic.

This wasn't a good start in terms of result but we need to get over it and get on.

Crunch time, I would say.

Doddie, i`m looking for 10-12 pts, though we`re more than capable of getting the max.

Littlest Hobo
15-02-2010, 10:41 AM

I thought we played the best football I've seen us play in a long time. Had we taken our chances in the first half when we were on top we might have been in with a shout. Second half we tired and what looked like a much fitter and stronger Rangers team bulldosed their way through. If we can take that performance and stick to that level for the rest of the season then we'll be playing in Europe next season.:thumbsup:

AugustaHibs
15-02-2010, 10:45 AM
murray contract thats a reason? :wink: :thumbsup:

IndieHibby
15-02-2010, 10:49 AM
I thought our midfield was better than theirs in the first half, but the end product just wasn't quite there, for me Stokes was isolated quite a lot during the game. Yogi has used the expression 'work in progress' in describing the team, and I think that is an accurate assesment. I thought the most important player for them was actually Boughera, without him they could well have been up for the taking today,just my opinion though. Whittaker's goal was a good goal,but a penalty and an unfortunate slip make this result look a lot more comprehensive than it actually was.

Agree completely. So much of our attack broke down as a result of his defending. He was a significant part factor in their win.

Littlest Hobo
15-02-2010, 10:59 AM
Agree completely. So much of our attack broke down as a result of his defending. He was a significant part factor in their win.

Yep :agree: He was brilliant yesterday. When he wasn't blocking last minute shots, he was off on a mazy setting up an attack down the right hand side. The fitness of the guy compared to some of our players makes all the difference but add class to that and you'll find a player who's playing at a lower level than he probably should be.

Part/Time Supporter
15-02-2010, 11:11 AM
Bougherra is the only player in the SPL who could / should be playing at a high level in England (ie top six club and playing regularly). There are quite a number who could "hold their own" sort of thing, but he's the one player you could make a reasoned argument for being better than the majority of players in that league.

.Sean.
15-02-2010, 06:54 PM
Bougherra is the only player in the SPL who could / should be playing at a high level in England (ie top six club and playing regularly). There are quite a number who could "hold their own" sort of thing, but he's the one player you could make a reasoned argument for being better than the majority of players in that league.
I can't agree with that, considering he wasn't a first pick at Charlton who haven't been a top-six club in England for many, many years.