PDA

View Full Version : Gow

Riordans Boots
14-02-2010, 03:35 PM
Sorry, I know this is his first full game - but nah!

Yogi should have taken him off before the 2nd half :grr:

Thought he was slow, lazy and out of depth for hibs (IMPO)

Suppose we have to give him a chance but sadly, I'm no impressed yet.:rolleyes:

Coco Bryce
14-02-2010, 03:36 PM
Yip he was murder :agree:

Dunbar Hibee
14-02-2010, 03:36 PM
Yep, not good enough from him today, he just didn't look sharp enough.

Hainan Hibs
14-02-2010, 03:37 PM
Probably needs to get his match fitness up. We'll need to give him more time.

Big Frank
14-02-2010, 03:38 PM
Good effort from gow today - and will get better for the greenjerseys.

Monts
14-02-2010, 03:38 PM
Yogi did take him off in the second half :confused:

Liam89
14-02-2010, 03:39 PM
Just remember stokes when he first came here...

James.
14-02-2010, 03:39 PM
As I said on the match update thread, I think it's too soon to be getting on his back. He looked good coming on against the Sheep and Montrose.

Remember what Stokes was like when he was getting his first full starts.

Beefster
14-02-2010, 03:40 PM
He wasn't at the races today but let's give the boy a ****ing chance.

This thread was utterly predictable, sadly.

Hibercelona
14-02-2010, 03:42 PM
Like any other player, he needs time to gel in the side.

He'll come good.

Cropley10
14-02-2010, 03:44 PM
As I said on the match update thread, I think it's too soon to be getting on his back. He looked good coming on against the Sheep and Montrose.

It's never too soon to get on any player's back on Hibs.net

Bob Box Fish
14-02-2010, 03:45 PM
Like a bad amadou konte today.

hibiedude
14-02-2010, 03:45 PM
His first full game but your right he should have been hooked before the 2nd half started

James.
14-02-2010, 03:46 PM
It's never too soon to get on any player's back on Hibs.net

:agree: Ma-Kalamby was posted missing at all of Rangers three goals :grr:

ancient hibee
14-02-2010, 03:48 PM
Thought it was the wrong game to start him-Hughes was obviously trying to give Rangers something different to think about.

Hiber-nation
14-02-2010, 03:52 PM
Like a bad amadou konte today.

Aye so he was. Behave yersel eh?

Riordans Boots
14-02-2010, 03:54 PM
Thought it was the wrong game to start him-Hughes was obviously trying to give Rangers something different to think about.

Yep :agree:

Sadly, this is the first time I have felt Yogi was a bit out his depth here as well. (I still absoultely love Yogi):agree:

Bobo
14-02-2010, 03:54 PM
:agree: Ma-Kalamby was posted missing at all of Rangers three goals :grr:

Wouldnae be the 1st time then :wink:

Danderhall Hibs
14-02-2010, 03:58 PM

:agree: Very predictable thread. I said to the wife during it that there's be a thread on here writing Gow off as a player.

As well as not playing well whe the ball did come his way I think he suffered from the lack of ball that did go his way - in much the same way that Riordan has hardly had a touch recently. We don't get the ball out to the left hand side for some reason.

Toaods
14-02-2010, 04:01 PM
he has not played many games in the last year so fitness may well be the issue but his distribution was as bad as imaginable. That freekick he wasted was absolutely honking.

Shouldn't be starting any games at the present - just building up from the bench.

Riordans Boots
14-02-2010, 04:11 PM
he has not played many games in the last year so fitness may well be the issue but his distribution was as bad as imaginable. That freekick he wasted was absolutely honking.

Shouldn't be starting any games at the present - just building up from the bench.

Thank you. I should have included this in my original post Toaods :agree:

basehibby
14-02-2010, 04:12 PM
I think Yogi was looking for a wee bit more on the application/pace side up front today which is why he went with Gow in favour of Deeks - he looked a bit rusty though and I can see the argument that he could have been subbed a bit earlier.

steakbake
14-02-2010, 04:15 PM
He's played 3 games (I think) with us, 2 of them coming on as a sub. One he's been on from the start. Okay, a bad day today but then losing 3-0, I think every player has had a bad day.

It comes as no surprise that some folk will find another whipping boy now that Rankin has come onto a bit of a game but, give the guy some time, ffs. :grr:

blackpoolhibs
14-02-2010, 04:26 PM
Yip get rid, he's had long enough.

Baw187
14-02-2010, 04:27 PM
He wasn't that bad and all this about Yogi being out of his depth is nonsense IMO too.

We played some great stuff first half and der Hun weren't in the game. Second half Laferty (as pish as he is) made a difference for them and they started taking the game to us. Sadly the whole team drifted out the match at this point, not just Gow and certainly not on account of Yogi's tactics.

BroxburnHibee
14-02-2010, 04:27 PM
Yip get rid, he's had long enough.

:agree:

He's had long enough - not good enough.

mike1875
14-02-2010, 04:29 PM
to be honest i don't think gow is going to be a big game player for us but he will be handy to have coming of the bench to give stokes or riordan a rest against smaller teams

hibsdaft
14-02-2010, 04:36 PM
think Yogi was trying a bit of psychology with Gow, giving him the chance to show the Huns what they were missing. that backfired tbh, and i think this one was 5-6 weeks of regular football too soon for him.

personally i don't think we should take too much from his performance today

allmodcons
14-02-2010, 04:48 PM
Yep :agree:

Sadly, this is the first time I have felt Yogi was a bit out his depth here as well. (I still absoultely love Yogi):agree:

Can you explain why you think Yogi was out of his depth. If you're referring to his tactics, I thought they were spot on until the 1st goal which, incidentally, was always going to be very crucial.

Defo not out of his depth versus Smith and McCoist. Team played well in 1st half and only lost their way after what I thought was a rather dubious penalty.

Sylar
14-02-2010, 05:12 PM
Guilty as charged - I was fuming watching him today, not purely because he had a poor game, but because I was delighted when we signed him and was very disappointed by how he played today - I expected so much more.

Given time to build up his fitness and re-adjust to life in the SPL, I think he'll do more good than bad over the course of the season, as lets face it, he has a chance to land a permanant move if he impresses. Perhaps just a wee bit too soon for a starting berth.

Calvin
14-02-2010, 05:52 PM
He was absolutely honking today but I appreciate that he is new to the club and probably not as sharp as the rest of the team. However, that doesn't affect whether his performance was good or not.

I look forward to about 4 games time when he starts to show his ability.

Sas_The_Hibby
14-02-2010, 05:55 PM

No, no, let's get on his back from the off and really destroy his confidence.

It's what we're good at................... :wink::greengrin

Toaods
14-02-2010, 05:59 PM
To infer he is being made a scapegoat is ludicrous.

He was total kack and that has been rightly pointed out. I personally had no problem with the team starting line up, not what I expected, but can see the plan - don't think he is fit enough for a solid 90 at the Ibrox/Parkhead's yet. Fully expect him to be benched in midweek.

FRes Hibbie
14-02-2010, 06:10 PM
I think some people are being a little over-protective here. This talk of, "let's give the boy a F****** chance" and the suggestion that we're writing him off is a load of pish because nobody's actually saying that. Has anyone (sincerely) said that we should empty Gow? No. Some have just pointed out that he had a bad game today - nothing wrong with that.

FRes Hibbie
14-02-2010, 06:11 PM
To infer he is being made a scapegoat is ludicrous.

He was total kack and that has been rightly pointed out. I personally had no problem with the team starting line up, not what I expected, but can see the plan - don't think he is fit enough for a solid 90 at the Ibrox/Parkhead's yet. Fully expect him to be benched in midweek.

:agree:

IWasThere2016
14-02-2010, 06:18 PM

Spot on!

JimBHibees
14-02-2010, 06:21 PM
Dont think left mid is his position. Had a couple of good touches but looked rusty and out of touch.

3pm
14-02-2010, 06:24 PM
Give him a break.

cyber8
14-02-2010, 06:55 PM
we can all forgive a bad peformance or a lack of match fitness:agree:

But were was the effort,

did not try :confused:

Gala Foxes
14-02-2010, 07:37 PM
maybe he is not fit, maybe he is short of match practice, but he was poor today

NORTHERNHIBBY
14-02-2010, 09:39 PM
TBH Gow must have been in a difficult position today. Hughes obviously thinks the world of him and rates him highly, but a reality check maybe says come on in the second half? But I guess if your manager looks to you AND had publicly stated his confidence in you, you don't really want to let him down. But make no mistake, he was rank rotten today. Just awful. But just today. He is a decent player, and one I would like to see us keep long term.

Toaods
14-02-2010, 09:47 PM
TBH Gow must have been in a difficult position today. Hughes obviously thinks the world of him and rates him highly, but a reality check maybe says come on in the second half? But I guess if your manager looks to you AND had publicly stated his confidence in you, you don't really want to let him down. But make no mistake, he was rank rotten today. Just awful. But just today. He is a decent player, and one I would like to see us keep long term.

this is it though, on paper it was a good choice but he was so far off the pace, that must have been apparent at training? It needs to be some player that gets picked ahead of Deek at Ibrox when only half fit.

NORTHERNHIBBY
14-02-2010, 09:55 PM
this is it though, on paper it was a good choice but he was so far off the pace, that must have been apparent at training? It needs to be some player that gets picked ahead of Deek at Ibrox when only half fit.

mibbies, but Deeks did not exactly show a lot when when he came on either. In hindsight, there is a decent arguement that neither of them should have got stipped today. If both players showed up well in theory but could not do well in actual, then that is not great.

Hibernating (Im a stoopid yam tramp)
14-02-2010, 10:11 PM
Gow was never in the game, and Uncle Walt will feel vindicated.

joebakerforever
14-02-2010, 11:12 PM
When Stokes first started he too looked unfit and it took him some time to deliver.

Hughes proved his judgement was correct to persevere with him, so let's be patient with Gow and trust the Sage of Sunny Leith :greengrin

jdships
14-02-2010, 11:21 PM

Yup the "out of work football managers" are on the job :greengrin
As you rightly say give the lad a chance

:flag:

jdships
14-02-2010, 11:22 PM
Gow was never in the game, and Uncle Walt will feel vindicated.

Who's interested in what "Uncle Walt" thinks ?:yawn:

Monts
15-02-2010, 12:52 AM
I know he is not up to fitness, but that begs the question, why did we bring him in only until the end of the season, when hes gonna take half that time to get fit?

HamiltonHibee
15-02-2010, 01:01 AM
Gow was gash today but lets not be too hasty in judging him, give him time and see what he can do when match fit (stokes was similar when he first arrived

NadeAteMyLunch!
15-02-2010, 01:09 AM
Not Hibs Class.....:yawn: Deary me, I really wonder sometimes

truehibernian
15-02-2010, 01:29 AM
I honestly thought that Wotherspoon would have been the perfect choice ahead of Gow for that left mid slot, as he has the same drive and purpose going forward as Zemmama, and has learned the defensive aspect of the game now too. As much as I have slated Hanlon this season, he was superb today (albeit with a 50p heid at the header first half). Hibs played well today at a difficult venue, and Gow wasn't to blame for the result. He will come good in time. My big worry is that we seem to more and more be playing Stokes in an isolated position up front with no strike partner. He needs someone alongside, and it's no surprise that we score when someone like Nish is playing up front and pressing defences back and occupying centre halves.

MB62
15-02-2010, 09:38 AM
I think Gow will be an excellent signing for us if we can keep him long term.
Fine, he was poor yesterday in what was his first start and at one of the worst places to make your 'debut' when your obviously not match fit.
For this reason, I think it was a big ask from Yogi and I think he got it wrong. IMO Gow should have been kept on the bench, but I think Yogi made a few poor choices throughout the 90 mins yesterday.

I wish he would get over his fixation that Deeks can play left midfield with any great effect, the laddie is wasted out there.
Bringing on McBride with 5 minutes to go was a complete pointless move, 2-0 down and bring on a defensive midfielder? that was accepting defeat to me and trying to keep the score down.
Stokes had been getting little out of the huns defence all game and was desperately needing help. Deeks could have provided this but not from out wide left.

I am not going to be too downbeat about yesterday though because for an hour, I felt we were the better team.
I think we should put this result behind us and move on to Wednesday and hopefully a similar performance at Perth will give us a better result.

bornahibby
15-02-2010, 10:01 AM
The starting line up IMO was fine, but it was clear in the first half that Gow was not adding anything to the team. I think he will in games to come, but not this one. He should have been given 10 minutes of the second half to assert himself and told this in no uncertain terms by Hughes at the brake.

It didn't happen, Gow started off even worse and cost us a goal - Whittacker was HIS man and he did not even move to try and track him into the box or move across to block his path off.

Maybe he got a bit of the 'arm round the shoulder' treatment at half time when it should have been the 'foot up the arse'. I don't think there will be as much leniency when the team watch the goals back this week.

bornahibby
15-02-2010, 10:15 AM
Fine, he was poor yesterday in what was his first start and at one of the worst places to make your 'debut' when your obviously not match fit.
For this reason, I think it was a big ask from Yogi and I think he got it wrong. IMO Gow should have been kept on the bench, but I think Yogi made a few poor choices throughout the 90 mins yesterday.

I wish he would get over his fixation that Deeks can play left midfield with any great effect, the laddie is wasted out there.
Bringing on McBride with 5 minutes to go was a complete pointless move, 2-0 down and bring on a defensive midfielder? that was accepting defeat to me and trying to keep the score down.
Stokes had been getting little out of the huns defence all game and was desperately needing help. Deeks could have provided this but not from out wide left.

I am not going to be too downbeat about yesterday though because for an hour, I felt we were the better team.
I think we should put this result behind us and move on to Wednesday and hopefully a similar performance at Perth will give us a better result.

Spot on mate.

Hughes brought on Nish up front but he didn't give him enough time to get into the game and by that time we had completely lost the midfield. I don't know what he was thinking about with McBride either.

When the first goal went in, why was a change not made at this point? Rankers brought on Lafferty (who would have to wait till this game to show he is not completely useless) who gave them a bit of drive and purpose going forward and nullified Zouma, who was our outlet. After this we had nowt going forward. Also, Davies was coming inside a lot more and causing all sorts of problems.

Gow should have been hooked at the goal, if not before. If we had brought on Wotherspoon at right midfield he could have doubled up to greater effect on Lafferty with Hogg. Switching Zouma to the other wing would have made Davies think twice about driving infield all the time. Wotherspoon would have been able to drive us forward as well putting Rankers on the back foot and getting the Morrocans back into the match.

flash
15-02-2010, 10:44 AM
Sorry, I know this is his first full game - but nah!

Yogi should have taken him off before the 2nd half :grr:

Thought he was slow, lazy and out of depth for hibs (IMPO)

Suppose we have to give him a chance but sadly, I'm no impressed yet.:rolleyes:

Away and boil yer heid.

Joe Baker II
15-02-2010, 10:52 AM
Gow was truly awful, first real error of Hughes I think in not taking him off at half time when it was totally obvious how bad he was, I suppose good thing is one big error in 30+ games for Hughes not too bad.

(Whether Gow comes good or not not really the issue - it clearly was not going to be yesterday and decision arguably cost us chance of an important point yesterday, 1st half performance with effectively 10 men on the pitch was actually good and we could argue we were slighlty better team!)

And what an dreadful free kick from Gow!

Joe Baker II
15-02-2010, 10:54 AM
Gow was gash today but lets not be too hasty in judging him, give him time and see what he can do when match fit (stokes was similar when he first arrived

As other posters have said the real howler yesterday was from Hughes by keeping him on. On paper Gow's CV looks good.

Sudds_1
15-02-2010, 11:17 AM

yep.....sums it up for me :top marks

ahibby
15-02-2010, 02:10 PM
Rangers say not good enough.

Norwich say not good enough.

Plymouth say not good enough.

Hibs say ???????????????????

CapitalHibs
15-02-2010, 02:22 PM
Rangers say not good enough.

Norwich say not good enough.

Plymouth say not good enough.

Hibs say ???????????????????

Good enough for Falkirk, though, where apparently set up most of the goals Stokes scored there.:greengrin

ahibby
15-02-2010, 04:25 PM
Good enough for Falkirk, though, where apparently set up most of the goals Stokes scored there.:greengrin

and I wonder whether he will end up back there or prove his level a bit higher.

Bohemian_Hibee
15-02-2010, 06:14 PM
Don't know much about Gow except for what I've read here so not sure of his ability or potential. Purely based on yesterdays performance, he was poor, lethargic and by far the worst Hibs player on the pitch (although Stokes ran him close for that acolade). Lucky to stay on the pitch as long as he did.

hfc rd
15-02-2010, 10:43 PM
Just remember stokes when he first came here...

True. Gow will hopefully come good when he is match fit.