PDA

View Full Version : from watching benji against gers today...

mully_bear
14-02-2010, 02:09 PM
should he be the person we play to hold the ball up as opposed to nish (in that just behind stokes role) ? his first touch and strength have been excellent.

if he can be consistent that is. Definitely a mercurial talent

Bob Box Fish
14-02-2010, 02:23 PM
First half he played well anonymous like rest of the team in the second.

James.
14-02-2010, 02:34 PM
Been very impressed with Benji the last few games and in the first half today he was excellent. I also think Nishy does well in that role although it's not as pretty to watch - it's great to have those options.

spudhib
14-02-2010, 03:22 PM
Agree Benji is a better player than Nish but i feel that Nishy gets closer to Stokes,felt Stokesy was very isolated today.

madabouthibs
14-02-2010, 05:12 PM
Benji is a better player with his back to goal. Nish is more of a pain in the arse to defenders..... hmmmm....

Kinda emphasisies our half decent :agree:strength in depth just now.

Jim44
14-02-2010, 05:41 PM
I'd be happy with Benji and Nish competing for the same role, with Benji keeping it for the meantime until Hughes depending on results, needs to ring the changes.

NOLA
14-02-2010, 05:56 PM
when is benji out of contract?

Jim44
14-02-2010, 06:02 PM
when is benji out of contract?

I think he's finished in summer. He has said he would love to stay but has heard nothing at all about a new contract. Is it a case of Hibs dragging their heels waiting to see how the season pans out or has Hughes decided he'll just let his contract run it's course?

3pm
14-02-2010, 06:13 PM
I think he's finished in summer. He has said he would love to stay but has heard nothing at all about a new contract. Is it a case of Hibs dragging their heels waiting to see how the season pans out or has Hughes decided he'll just let his contract run it's course?

I think he'll be gone.

NOLA
14-02-2010, 06:20 PM

would love to see him stay TBH, but think he will be offski.

Part/Time Supporter
14-02-2010, 06:20 PM
I think he'll be gone.

I'm not sure that he will be away, but he's got to do more between now and the summer. It's no use having him there maybe turning it on 4-5 times a season, when they could be giving opportunities to another player (such as Byrne).

Jim44
14-02-2010, 06:21 PM
I think he'll be gone.

Through his own choice or through Hughes's choice? Unless there's something we don't know about, I think it would be daft to let him go, especially if we stay on track for a place in Europe. Are we going to downsize for next year? Are the younger guys coming through any better than Benji? If Hughes is thinking of letting him go and looking for a replacement, he'll have to look far and wide to get one of the same or better quality. A bird in the hand is worth two in the bush.

Part/Time Supporter
14-02-2010, 06:26 PM
Through his own choice or through Hughes's choice? Unless there's something we don't know about, I think it would be daft to let him go, especially if we stay on track for a place in Europe. Are we going to downsize for next year? Are the younger guys coming through any better than Benji? If Hughes is thinking of letting him go and looking for a replacement, he'll have to look far and wide to get one of the same or better quality. A bird in the hand is worth two in the bush.

Hibs' choice.

Much was made of the "Benji scores = Hibs don't lose stat". More significant IMO is the stat that Benji has scored once in an away match for Hibs (v Dunfermline in a 4-0 win). His only other goals away from Easter Road were the goals v St. Johnstone and Killie in the CIS Cup run.

3pm
14-02-2010, 06:28 PM

And we all love two in the bush...:greengrin

I am a massive fan of Benji. I personally would keep him but I think Hughes may let him go. I have no inside info or anything, it's a guess. I can't see him and Nish staying, someone will move out to allow us to address other areas I think, a right back being one.

PC Stamp
14-02-2010, 07:28 PM
Hibs' choice.

Much was made of the "Benji scores = Hibs don't lose stat". More significant IMO is the stat that Benji has scored once in an away match for Hibs (v Dunfermline in a 4-0 win). His only other goals away from Easter Road were the goals v St. Johnstone and Killie in the CIS Cup run.

Reads a bit to me like your dissing those CIS goals. One assured us of the final and the other two contributed heavily to us winning it.

gobragh1875
14-02-2010, 07:38 PM
from what i saw at the game benji was a wast of space as was gow

jgl07
14-02-2010, 08:14 PM
I would say you were spouting rubbish about Benji if I knew what a wast of space is.

Benji was the best player on the field in the first half.

One Day Soon
14-02-2010, 08:26 PM

sniff,sniff

You watched the game? Shouldn't you have been polishing the Rover and ironing your yellow cardigan?

Prof. Shaggy
14-02-2010, 08:31 PM
I've got a Rover. It is a wast of space.

One Day Soon
14-02-2010, 08:34 PM
I've got a Rover. It is a wast of space.

You mean in the same way that Kingston is a wast of money?

Prof. Shaggy
14-02-2010, 08:35 PM
Exactly

ancient hibee
14-02-2010, 08:37 PM
Agree Benji is a better player than Nish but i feel that Nishy gets closer to Stokes,felt Stokesy was very isolated today.
Spot on.

Today Benji was ok in a game where both teams can play football.He's not so effective in games where the ball is whacked back to front over his head.

One Day Soon
14-02-2010, 08:38 PM
Exactly

Do you have a yellow cardigan? Is it worsted or wast'd?

Prof. Shaggy
14-02-2010, 08:41 PM
Do you have a yellow cardigan? Is it worsted or wast'd?

I have no yellow cardigan, no yellow trousers, no yellow socks and no yellow pants.
Your second question, therefore, fails the relevance test. As the Rover fails the mobility test.

Part/Time Supporter
14-02-2010, 08:47 PM
Reads a bit to me like your dissing those CIS goals. One assured us of the final and the other two contributed heavily to us winning it.

The point was more the lack of away goals in roughly three full seasons.

ancient hibee
14-02-2010, 08:48 PM
I have no yellow cardigan, no yellow trousers, no yellow socks and no yellow pants.
Your second question, therefore, fails the relevance test. As the Rover fails the mobility test.
I had a dog like that once.

One Day Soon
14-02-2010, 08:51 PM

Interesting perspective on mobility. Does this mean that Christian Nade is at least part Rover?

PC Stamp
14-02-2010, 08:58 PM

Of course it would be nice if he scored a few more away from home but if he never scores another away goal for Hibs, those three goals will always be amongst the most important scored by any Hibs player in the last 20 years.

Toaods
14-02-2010, 08:59 PM

you including the full season where he was barely selected then loaned to a club in Belgium?

He rightly pointed out Mixu was crap as a manager and was slaughtered for it.

He says he likes Yogi and Yogi appears to have given him a clean slate.

Benji could easily have gone off in a huff until his contract runs out but IMHO he is applying himself well in an unfamiliar role.

More than happy to see his contract extended.

Part/Time Supporter
14-02-2010, 09:00 PM
you including the full season where he was barely selected then loaned to a club in Belgium?

He rightly pointed out Mixu was crap as a manager and was slaughtered for it.

He says he likes Yogi and Yogi appears to have given him a clean slate.

Benji could easily have gone off in a huff until his contract runs out but IMHO he is applying himself well in an unfamiliar role.

More than happy to see his contract extended.

No

Hibernating (Im a stoopid yam tramp)
14-02-2010, 09:04 PM
Benji played great, and I'd offer him a contract. I think he would sign if it was offered.

Monts
14-02-2010, 09:15 PM
I think its worth noting the difference a half decent pitch can make...

TornadoHibby
14-02-2010, 09:37 PM
Spot on.

Today Benji was ok in a game where both teams can play football.He's not so effective in games where the ball is whacked back to front over his head.

Any ideas as to why that might be then? :wink: :dunno:

Toaods
14-02-2010, 09:40 PM
No

so can you give a bit more gen on this 'roughly' 3 seasons you mention as it appears you are playing with figures to make it sound as poor as possible.?

I remember to leave out the periods for Ramadam and absence when picked for Morocco at U21 level that were outwith standard International dates and also the World Cup and African Cup dates.

All in, I think we all realise he has great qualities that we can ill afford to let walk away if he is keen enough to stay on.

Part/Time Supporter
14-02-2010, 09:53 PM
so can you give a bit more gen on this 'roughly' 3 seasons you mentionas it appears you are playing with figures to make it sound as poor as possible.?

I remember to leave out the periods for Ramadam and absence when picked for Morocco at U21 level that were outwith standard International dates and also the World Cup and African Cup dates.

All in, I think we all realise he has great qualities that we can ill afford to let walk away if he is keen enough to stay on.

He's been here ~ 4 years (signed just before that semi final). Less one year (last year), as you say he never played and was packed off to two different Belgian teams on loan.

I think he has shown up well in the last few games, but he needs to produce this level of performance more consistently. He hasn't played well consistently for Hibs since the early part of 2007.

The_Horde
14-02-2010, 11:46 PM
A bit off topic but does anybody think that, for the 2nd goal (well lead up to the penalty) our strikers could have worked a bit harder?

I'm not saying they would have definitely stopped them from scoring, but having just watched the highlights i think it was Gow and Stokes were in better positions to close down the rangers midfield but left it to Rankin, Zemmama and Miller whereas if one of either Gow/Stokes or both had chased a bit it might have forced Rangers back?

Thought Benji was our man of the match and definitely deserves a run in the team on that outing (maybe after the motherwell match mind you, their 'pitch' is horrible).

NadeAteMyLunch!
15-02-2010, 12:19 AM
Absolutely nothing against Nish but I would take Benji over him every single day of the week :agree:

Banter
15-02-2010, 12:33 AM
Dissapointing Result but Today Benji :top marks

With all due respect he makes Nish look like Nade on speed.:cool2:

Always been an admirer of Benji, one of the most technically gifted players ever to grace the Leith San Siro, certainly in my life time.

Not pretending to be some expert but I reckon Benji is vastly underated by the majority of Hibs supportes - given a proper run in the team for the first time in his Leith career and he could turn out to be very useful. In my humble opinion.

Exiled Hibby
15-02-2010, 02:03 PM
Dissapointing Result but Today Benji :top marks

With all due respect he makes Nish look like Nade on speed.:cool2:

Always been an admirer of Benji, one of the most technically gifted players ever to grace the Leith San Siro, certainly in my life time.

Not pretending to be some expert but I reckon Benji is vastly underated by the majority of Hibs supportes - given a proper run in the team for the first time in his Leith career and he could turn out to be very useful. In my humble opinion.

How can you use the words "Nade" AND "SPEED" in the same sentence without also using the phrase "lack of"?