PDA

View Full Version : The Next Level

stokesmessiah
13-02-2010, 10:26 AM
I now this might be a little premature :grr: however, if playing in the Europa (im not going to tempt fate by saying CL:wink:) next season, then what do you think the calibre of player we will be able to attract will be like.

Furthermore who do you think would be a good signing that as the old cliche goes "would take us to the next level" ????

:notworthy:

Hibernian Verse
13-02-2010, 10:27 AM
I now this might be a little premature :grr: however, if playing in the Europa (im not going to tempt fate by saying CL:wink:) next season, then what do you think the calibre of player we will be able to attract like.

Furthermore who do you think would be a good signing that as the old cliche goes "would take us to the next level" ????

A few more of the calibre of Miller and Stokes :wink:

Jack
13-02-2010, 10:45 AM
A few more of the calibre of Miller and Stokes :wink:

Yup

I think getting an ‘advisor’ to go and spy on the opposition. Someone with that European experience would be a great help to Yogi and Brian IMO.

500miles
13-02-2010, 11:20 AM
Brahim Hemdani has been out of the game for six months now. At 31, he's still able to play, and will be getting itchy feet looking to get back into the game. Would he accept top whack at Hibs? Can Yogi and Rice get the best out of him again? When he was at his best, he was possibly the best midfielder in the SPL, and he's certainly got champions league experience - in fact that was the stage on which he often performed best.

It's probably pretty out there, but not impossible IMO.

Littlest Hobo
13-02-2010, 11:31 AM
I don't think the Europa league is that big a deal these days as far as attracting players to your club. Money talks, it alway's has and alway's will. As for us pushing to the next level? I very much doubt it, although I would love to see it happen. I hate to be negetive but it's gonne take all the will power and money we can muster just to keep the talent we already have at the club, not to mention the manager. Nothing ever changes. The Europa league for me means a wee trip away for a few days with the boys. Something that I've done few and far between over the years supporting Hibernian.:boo hoo:

stokesmessiah
13-02-2010, 11:32 AM
Brahim Hemdani has been out of the game for six months now. At 31, he's still able to play, and will be getting itchy feet looking to get back into the game. Would he accept top whack at Hibs? Can Yogi and Rice get the best out of him again? When he was at his best, he was possibly the best midfielder in the SPL, and he's certainly got champions league experience - in fact that was the stage on which he often performed best.

It's probably pretty out there, but not impossible IMO.

Great shout and im not that convinced that its that far out there. Especially if we can offer him a couple of european ties?

I will probably be shot down for this but when i seen Paul Dickov was on a free i hoped to see Hibs linked to him. I know hes no spring chicken, but with the potential of our strikeforce i think someone like that would be great for them to work alongside.???

stokesmessiah
13-02-2010, 11:35 AM
I don't think the Europa league is that big a deal these days as far as attracting players to your club. Money talks, it alway's has and alway's will. As for us pushing to the next level? I very much doubt it, although I would love to see it happen. I hate to be negetive but it's gonne take all the will power and money we can muster just to keep the talent we already have at the club, not to mention the manager. Nothing ever changes. The Europa league for me means a wee trip away for a few days with the boys. Something that I've done few and far between over the years supporting Hibernian.:boo hoo:

I hear what your saying but surely the next level for us really has to be making that 3rd spot ours as a minimum. Like Yogi said i dont think Hibs are anywhere near toppling the "big" two but would it not be plausible to make the big three???

Getting european experience year in year out and getting the extra revenue would help hibs grow even more?

Vini1875
13-02-2010, 11:36 AM
In order to attract players who will take us to the next level we have to emulate this season more than once. In recent years teams who have finished third have failed the following year. We are in a position to capitalise on a good season by signing high quality players. Most important is to keep Yogi and Brian Rice. A decent run in Europa would help us and an increase in crowds STs etc, but all that has to done with another good season. One season wonders will not attract players, but a club on the up might.

Keeping the squad as is and adding a few players like Stokes and Miller would be brilliant.

mully_bear
13-02-2010, 12:50 PM
Great shout and im not that convinced that its that far out there. Especially if we can offer him a couple of european ties?

I will probably be shot down for this but when i seen Paul Dickov was on a free i hoped to see Hibs linked to him. I know hes no spring chicken, but with the potential of our strikeforce i think someone like that would be great for them to work alongside.???
are you on the wind up - Dickov and Hemdani ???????????? who exactly would they replace in the hibs team at the moment

next level ??

offshorehibby
13-02-2010, 12:56 PM
The next level is consistently finishing in the top 3 and regular European football.

Keith_M
13-02-2010, 12:59 PM
The next level for me would be Hibs getting past the two qualifying rounds and actually reaching the first round proper of the Europa League.

The players we have now SHOULD be able to do that.

However, Yogi will stengthen in the summer, he'll have Sol to replace for one.

Dashing Bob S
13-02-2010, 02:02 PM
The next level for me would be Hibs getting past the two qualifying rounds and actually reaching the first round proper of the Europa League.

In agree. I'd like to see us become a presence in Europe consistently, restoring our birthright as a club.

Splitting the OF, nicking a CL spot and even, as they 'doing a Lyon' must remain a long-term (realistic) goal for a club like Hibs (or for that matter Hearts and A'deen), though that will depend on the future financing of Scottish Football and the stature of the OF. They've been pumped up by sectarian for years, and in the last twenty years, TV money. Now that this is likely to dry up further, they will hopefully fall back to a level, where they are least challengable, even if they will always be in an ascendant position in our little pond.

greenlex
13-02-2010, 02:55 PM
We are at the next level. A season or two consolidating that and maybe a we run in Europe and see where we go from there. More important to not slip back than move forward at the moment IMO.

Callum
13-02-2010, 03:06 PM

That can be done by Hanlon when Sol get sold on I think Hanlon is a great player just now but he is just going to keep devloping and get even better

Woody1985
13-02-2010, 03:49 PM
We need to keep the good players we've got and add one of two of similar quality of Stokes and Miller if possible.

I only think the EL would become a factor if we made the groups. With our financial stability the groups would really give us a chance to push on again.

jakedance
13-02-2010, 04:00 PM
The next level would be consistency. I'd be happy enough if the squad stayed more or less as it is next year, with maybe a new defender or two.

hibby67
14-02-2010, 04:42 AM
i think we might be getting ahead of our self here
why not enjoy the season and if we get into europe then again enjoy it while it last..
as to adding players to the next level i think we might struggle to keep the player we have stokes, miller, bamba etc..
i suspect it might be another season rebuilding im my opinion
but it's good to be a hibby just now lets enjoy it

bighairyfaeleith
14-02-2010, 05:33 AM
I reckon we need another couple of strikers to make a real challenge next year

Monts
14-02-2010, 05:56 AM
Teams rarely follow up a good season with another in the spl as the best players get picked up by teams that can pay higher wages ie the OF and down south. I cant see the OF being able to lure our players away, although i think if celtic came in for stokes he may make a fuss to leave.

If we can hold onto our top players next season, i think we will see some consistency but its a big if. I can see bamba, stokes and miller all having offers, and we know that the club will sell if for the right price.

It'll be an interesting close season anyway!

joe breezy
14-02-2010, 07:06 AM
there is no next level

our support is too small and we play in a league that doesn't have much income

we will lose our best players in the summer

enjoy this season while it lasts

bighairyfaeleith
14-02-2010, 07:18 AM
there is no next level

our support is too small and we play in a league that doesn't have much income

we will lose our best players in the summer

enjoy this season while it lasts

:blah::blah:

joe breezy
14-02-2010, 07:23 AM
:blah::blah:

I'd love to be proven wrong on this

matty_f
14-02-2010, 08:17 AM

In order to attract players who will take us to the next level we have to emulate this season more than once. In recent years teams who have finished third have failed the following year. We are in a position to capitalise on a good season by signing high quality players. Most important is to keep Yogi and Brian Rice. A decent run in Europa would help us and an increase in crowds STs etc, but all that has to done with another good season. One season wonders will not attract players, but a club on the up might.

Keeping the squad as is and adding a few players like Stokes and Miller would be brilliant.

I agree with both of these posts. The Europa League isn't the draw for players that European football used to be. I don't think it'd necessarily allow us to attract better players unless we were doing it every season.

That said, with the squad we've got just now, we should be in the hunt for 3rd every season, and with the extra revenue that potentially comes with Europe, then it should (in theory) become easier to sustain.

brydekirk
14-02-2010, 08:27 AM
I agree with both of these posts. The Europa League isn't the draw for players that European football used to be. I don't think it'd necessarily allow us to attract better players unless we were doing it every season.

That said, with the squad we've got just now, we should be in the hunt for 3rd every season, and with the extra revenue that potentially comes with Europe, then it should (in theory) become easier to sustain.

mostly :agree: but i still think it will help to pick up descent players like jim o brien for exampe when other teams are after him aswell.

Hibbyradge
14-02-2010, 08:34 AM
I now this might be a little premature :grr: however, if playing in the Europa (im not going to tempt fate by saying CL:wink:) next season, then what do you think the calibre of player we will be able to attract will be like.

I think you're tempting fate talking about the Europa League, tbh.

Dundee United are quietly going about their business and we have only taken 1 point from our games against them.

Being a point ahead with 2 games in hand, Rangers at Ibrox and St J's in Perth, isn't the platform to start planning for "The next level".

Sorry if I'm being over cautious, but I'm taking nothing for granted.

Many a slip twixt cup and lip.

(And I'm not referring to Ross County yet, although they most certainly won't be a pushover.)

BroxburnHibee
14-02-2010, 08:38 AM
I think you're tempting fate talking about the Europa League, tbh.

Dundee United are quietly going about their business and we have only taken 1 point from our games against them.

Being a point ahead with 2 games in hand, Rangers at Ibrox and St J's in Perth, isn't the platform to start planning for "The next level".

Sorry if I'm being over cautious, but I'm taking nothing for granted.

Many a slip twixt cup and lip.

(And I'm not referring to Ross County yet, although they most certainly won't be a pushover.)

:top marks

blackpoolhibs
14-02-2010, 10:51 AM
The next level is consistency. We need to be having seasons like this on a constant basis. A club like Hibs, especially in the position they are in financially, should be challenging for 3rd an 4th place at least every year.