PDA

View Full Version : Luge competitor dies

Toaods
12-02-2010, 10:36 PM
Anyone see the video pf the 21 yo Georgian competitor crashing before it was pulled from You Tube etc?

yeaach...seen a few really bad smashes in my speedway times but that's a shocker.

I have a morbid streak anyway and there are some really graphic(but well forewarned) pictures of the paramedics trying to help him out.

Defo not for the squeemish if you find the real close ups..:sick:

HibsMax
12-02-2010, 10:58 PM
Just read about that. Very sad. Managed to find a poor quality video. I have that same morbid streak but usually look away at the last moment. I saw some images on CNN but they didn't reveal much. From what I did see of the crash I have to say (too late I may add) that I find it alarming that there are big friggin' posts beside the track. No safety nets to prevent the competitors from this sort of thing? I know that lots of sports carry inherent risks but we should be trying to make them safer, not more dangerous. I'm not suggesting a mountain of cotton balls for ski jumpers or anything like that but just measures to make it safer.

EDIT : OK, just saw some photos. The ironic thing is I don't find the afterwards pictures nearly as disturbing as the simple fact that just above them is a picture of him speeding down the track.....alive. A few short seconds later.....dead. I know that people die all the time and that no one life is any more sacred than another but the contrast is what gets me.

An Leargaidh
12-02-2010, 11:10 PM
That's a shame for the fella. I am sure he knew the risks but I guess you just always think it won't happen to you :rolleyes:

The only good thing is that in real time he was probably dead before he knew it, or unconscious then dead before he knew it.

Does anyone remember John Noakes from Blue Peter doing the Cresta toboggan run in the 1970s and he went awry and got badly bashed up. Had like the biggest bruise ever on his ass? :boo hoo:

An Leargaidh
12-02-2010, 11:16 PM
I have that same morbid streak...

I think it is a built in human trait to promote survival. I have seen things in my job and not in my job that get as bad as it can get. I mean as bad as it can get.

Shocking and horrible though they have been I always find myself drawn to look and learn. Even if all I am learning is, "So that's what happens to a human body in circumstance X, Y or Z"

:dead::dead::dead:

HibsMax
12-02-2010, 11:33 PM
I think it is a built in human trait to promote survival. I have seen things in my job and not in my job that get as bad as it can get. I mean as bad as it can get.

Shocking and horrible though they have been I always find myself drawn to look and learn. Even if all I am learning is, "So that's what happens to a human body in circumstance X, Y or Z"

:dead::dead::dead:

I hear ya. A friend of mine gets sent all sorts of weird e-mails from a female co-worker and he showed me some pictures that.....well, I'll stay on topic.

RIP. :(

Toaods
13-02-2010, 10:02 AM
great courage will have to be shown by today's luge competitor's.

Of course you can train as hard as you like for the 'next' set of games wherever and whenever they may be but such a tragedy can only destroy any concentration and focus on the task of competing.

Have to admit, I've watched a few of the winter events recently on Eurosport with the family and laughed at amongst other things the outfits and a few falls,etc but nobody really wants to see such terrible circumstances at any time.

It's a real shame for the games too as the opening ceremony was terrific.

Sick Boy
13-02-2010, 11:15 PM
A terrible tragedy to lose one so young. I'm in Vancouver just now and they actually showed the crash on the national news last night after the opening ceremony. He lost control on the last corner and in a split second was thrown out of the track and into the metal pole. They reckon he hit it at 144km/h (around 90mph).:eek:

The practice session today is still going ahead but the men are going from the women's starting gate which is lower down and means you build up less speed on the run.

Removed
14-02-2010, 12:15 AM
The practice session today is still going ahead but the men are going from the women's starting gate which is lower down and means you build up less speed on the run.

Just watching the race now and even with a shorter track that is scary.

Would love a shot but would have to be head first, feet first must be brutal.

Removed
18-02-2010, 09:24 PM
Just watching the race now and even with a shorter track that is scary.

Would love a shot but would have to be head first, feet first must be brutal.

Just seen an item about Vancouver on the BBC news and they mentioned the skeleton event - never knew they did that. Looks barry fun :greengrin

Woody1985
18-02-2010, 10:51 PM
I viewed the video on spikedhumor. They way he stopped was mad.

From what I read, the track is the fastest ever and was designed for maximum speed at the end, 90mph as mentioned, for entertainment purposes.

What amazes me is the precautions 'taken', they've stuck some padding on the poles. Unless it's more dangerous to put a net up on that side I would have thought they'd do more.