PDA

View Full Version : Walter no-surname at the mind-games again

Part/Time Supporter
12-02-2010, 05:39 PM
"Hibernian are title contenders" (http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/teams/h/hibernian/8513102.stm)

down-the-slope
12-02-2010, 06:05 PM
Was just about to post the same.....Don't listen to him players or we will get royally rodgered

Walter Smith believes Hibernian have every right to consider themselves title-challengers this season. "They've shown they can handle the league," said the Rangers manager.
"When we get to February and they're in the position they're in, they've every right to think they've got a chance of going for the championship as well."
But Hibs boss John Hughes insists toppling the Old Firm is a longer-term aim, with third place his priority for this term.
The Easter Road side, who travel to face Rangers on Sunday, trail the Scottish Premier League leaders by 12 points but are only four behind Celtic, with a game in hand on both.
And Smith did not expect Hibs to be in such a position but says the consistency they've shown up until now makes them genuine contenders.
http://newsimg.bbc.co.uk/shared/img/o.gif

"I'm not really surprised," Smith said. "They've got a decent balance in their team, they've got good goalscorers, their defensive record's been excellent.
"If you take those two things, it doesn't surprise me they've managed to achieve that consistency.
"We managed to win 4-1 in the game in December and, psychologically, I felt that would have been a big thing.
"But, give credit to Hibs, they've come back from that and got themselves into a position where, along with Rangers and Celtic, they're vying for the championship."
Anthony Stokes has scored in both of Hibs' meetings with Rangers this season and Smith believes both the Republic of Ireland forward and Derek Riordan are among the league's best strikers.
"They've got as good goalscorers in Stokes and Riordan as any of the teams in the league and that's, in many ways, what makes them dangerous," said Smith.
"But, even though they play attacking players in the wider areas, they've got a good defensive record, so their organisational aspect is very good.
"That means you have trouble getting goals against them. We got four against them, but it was an exceptional level of finishing from our point of view.
"Hopefully, we can create the same number of opportunities on Sunday as we did in that game."
http://newsimg.bbc.co.uk/shared/img/o.gif

Hughes, whose side recently recorded a victory at Celtic Park, insists he is a long way from having the team on the park to win Scotland's top flight.
"I would like to think I can build a squad, bring in players, nurture young talent that will go through to compete with Rangers and Celtic," said the Hibs manager.
"That's my challenge. As long as I am at this football club, that is what I will try and do.
"You give me a third-place finish in the league and a place in Europe and I will shake your hand right now and take it.
"Over the next few years, we will work a lot of overtime to try and challenge the Old Firm. I don't know if you will ever get near them because they are two massive clubs

Barney McGrew
12-02-2010, 06:09 PM
TBH, I don't mind Smith. Unlike his counterpart across the city, he's usually complementary of the opposition and is quick to admit if Rangers have been poor. What he's said there is spot on the money too.

Whether we like to admit it or not, we're in the mix and if we win on Sunday and win our game in hand we're right up there. Unlikely I know, but possible all the same.

Steve20
12-02-2010, 06:28 PM
We are in a battle for 3rd place. We will not get 1st or 2nd. That's not being negative as finishing in the top 3 would be superb considering the position we were in last summer.

down-the-slope
12-02-2010, 06:58 PM
TBH, I don't mind Smith. Unlike his counterpart across the city, he's usually complementary of the opposition and is quick to admit if Rangers have been poor. What he's said there is spot on the money too.

Whether we like to admit it or not, we're in the mix and if we win on Sunday and win our game in hand we're right up there. Unlikely I know, but possible all the same.

Thats true on one hand - but just like driving..if you look too far ahead (rather than whats right in front of you) you end up having a big crash

oldbiker
12-02-2010, 07:05 PM
I Just love Yogi's response though and no wonder we have a feel good factor at the moment :thumbsup:

Part/Time Supporter
12-02-2010, 07:21 PM
Yogi pre match chat with BBC (http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/scotland/8513486.stm)

Smith pre match press call (http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/scotland/8513498.stm)

lyonhibs
13-02-2010, 01:34 AM
I fail entirely to see what is wrong with that interview.

If that interview adversely affects our players for Sundays game then the "fault" for that lies squarely at our own front door IMO.

Why shouldn't we go to Ibrox with ambitions to win??

I know I haven't paid £25-odd to witness an excercise in damage limitation from minute 1-90!!!

lEXO
13-02-2010, 02:04 AM
A pretty fair and honest interview.Lets face it we have scored a a few goals, have a good defensive record, and are third in the league with a game in hand.
We went to Celtic Park and won,witch is more than they have.It,s a hard game for us,but it is for them as well.We have signed more quality players this season than them,so he has every right to talk us up a bit.Time will tell if it happens for us, but i wish some Hibs supporters would be as positive in their views as he is about us.

heretoday
13-02-2010, 03:02 AM
I don't like Smith and never have done. He's an evil Rangers guy and dinny forget it.

Rory89
13-02-2010, 04:00 AM
Walter Smith: Hibs could challenge Rangers.

Hibs fans: ***** you.

Kevin Thomson: Hibs couldn't challenge Rangers.

Hibs fans : ***** you.

Think that's how it works.

bighairyfaeleith
13-02-2010, 07:15 AM
one game at a time

joe breezy
13-02-2010, 07:57 AM
Fair enough interview, if we win on Sunday anything could happen, we do have a squad that could better the Od Firm this season, it probably won't happen again though

col02
13-02-2010, 08:43 AM
I think Smith is being fair as always to his teams next opponents. If some people do not like him then fair enough but imho he calls things as he see's it and shows a bit respect to other managers and teams.

CmoantheHibs
13-02-2010, 08:45 AM
Walter Smith: Hibs could challenge Rangers.

Hibs fans: ***** you.

Kevin Thomson: Hibs couldn't challenge Rangers.

Hibs fans : ***** you.

Think that's how it works.

Spot on.We tend to hate everything they say.There is no problem with his interview.I think its a pretty fair assessment.Yogi plays down our chances.Smith plays them up.Yogi has his agenda, smith has his.It will have absolutely no bearing on how the game will go.Lets go and gub them and prove smith right.

Captain Trips
13-02-2010, 09:51 AM
I have always felt Smith has been pretty fair and honest in after match stuff, I dont think its mind games really its fair enough and think its a compliment to Hibs.

The Managers at Celtic however...

7Hero
13-02-2010, 09:59 AM
used to not like smith but now i have taken the time to actually listen to him a few times he is usually always honest and gives far more credit to opposition than any celtic or rangers manager i have heard before.

i would prefer to dislike him for jacking in the scotland job than for being a hun to be hionest

mind games ? course it is, its just nice to be involved in them come february of the football season..

MyJo
13-02-2010, 10:15 AM
dont see anything wrong with that to be honest, a fair assessment of how we've been doing so far from smith and if he wants to consider us title contenders then let him. Hibs are getting some respect as long last and IMO Yogi and the team deserve it considering the season we are having so far.

assuming we win against St Johnstone in our game in hand a victory at ibrox tomorrow would put us 6 points off the top of the table with 13 games left in the season, not to mention the fact we are in the QF of the cup that shall not be named with a real chance to win the bloody thing. now is not the time for self-deprecation or talking the team down, even if we dont get anywhere near the top of the table we should be backing the team to the hilt and give the weegies the fright of their lives :greengrin

weonlywon6-2
13-02-2010, 10:33 PM

yep,couldnt agree more. hes only saying it as it is. he`s not bumming us up.
:thumbsup:

Monts
13-02-2010, 10:39 PM
I think Smith is being pretty honest in his assessment, although he will still have his motives for saying it.

The interviews coming from celtic will always be slightly more biased as they dont have the backing of the fans, and need to kiss ass big time in order to stay in the job. Smith has the luxury of already being the saviour, and as such can say what he actually thinks without upsetting the hoards too much.

.SeventyFive
13-02-2010, 10:50 PM
I have always felt Smith has been pretty fair and honest in after match stuff, I dont think its mind games really its fair enough and think its a compliment to Hibs.

The Managers at Celtic however...

I like him. He is honest and takes his opponents seriously each week which is why they are champions and current SPL leaders and their Old Firm rivals are tripping up over their own balls.

Hibs are contender and if Smith stating the obvious influences how we play and throws Hibs off, then we probably don't deserve to be.

LancashireHibby
13-02-2010, 10:53 PM
Don't think Smith has said anything particularly incorrect in that. Glad I'm not the only one who thinks that way.