PDA

View Full Version : NHC Driver not eligible for Scotland (he left school too early)

Marty-Hibee
12-02-2010, 04:27 PM
SSN reporting Driver is not eligible for Scotland becuase he only had 4 years, 11 months and 26 days of schooling in Scotland!

Green tinted glasses of for a moment, a big loss for Scotland i thing:agree:

David_D
12-02-2010, 04:28 PM
yeh he must be gutted that he is only 4 or 5 days short of schooling

Hakim Sar
12-02-2010, 04:29 PM
is this serious?

it's a shame if that is the case.

Danderhall Hibs
12-02-2010, 04:31 PM
:hilarious Absolutely hilarious IMO.

Not a patch on what we have already for the left-side of midfield.

Cocaine&Caviar
12-02-2010, 04:31 PM
Could he not go to night school?

CB_NO3
12-02-2010, 04:32 PM
No big deal, good player but he cant play anymore than 7 or 8 games in a row. Constantly injured.

lapsedhibee
12-02-2010, 04:34 PM
Was he the one that Mr Vlad was eventually going to get £20m for, or was that Berra? :dunno:

Part/Time Supporter
12-02-2010, 04:37 PM
Surprising, as I thought all those well mannered Jambos had been through tertiary education before commencing their professional association football careers.

Perhaps not.

:wink:

PeterboroHibee
12-02-2010, 04:38 PM
:hilarious Absolutely hilarious IMO.

Not a patch on what we have already for the left-side of midfield.

Sorry but who else do we have for left midfield? McCormacks the only decent option we have as an attacking winger, maybe Robson as well but hes getting on a bit; every other option played their recently has been absolutely crap.

Driver would have brought something different, a loss for Scotland.

Bookkeeper
12-02-2010, 04:40 PM
No big deal. Flatters to deceive - when he's fit that is!

Danderhall Hibs
12-02-2010, 04:41 PM
Sorry but who else do we have for left midfield? McCormacks the only decent option we have as an attacking winger, maybe Robson as well but hes getting on a bit; every other option played their recently has been absolutely crap.

Driver would have brought something different, a loss for Scotland.

As well as McCormack and Robson there's:
McFadden
Riordan
Maloney
Morrison
Snodgrass?
Rankin :wink:

Hakim Sar
12-02-2010, 04:46 PM

danderhall - your number of posts is suspiciously similar to attendances at easter road

the_ginger_hibee
12-02-2010, 04:48 PM
Haha. After all of that nonsense and headline news :greengrin

Not happy that Scotland lose out on a player, no matter what I think of the whole issue, but this is funny stuff, typical media to build it all up...and forget to check to small print!

No big loss at the moment anyway, not good enough. In the future maybe, but for now :thumbsup: there goes the extra cash from a few international caps!

P.S Will he discover his Welsh granny or will he realise its all about pride and patriotism as opposed to getting a few token caps to bump up your value?

Glasgow Hibee
12-02-2010, 04:52 PM
Some of you who get to see more football than me might be able to tell me......is Driver that good?

I've seen him in maybe 3 or 4 games and I've watched him because his name always seems to be mentioned in the press, but I didn't notice anything special.

woody47
12-02-2010, 04:55 PM
The only problem I have with guys like Driver is why pick Scotland in the first place. He was more than over the moon when he was playing for engerlund's under 21's so how come the switch of allegience, unless ........................................ he realises he just wont get a game for engerlund and goes for the next best thing.:bitchy:
He is a decent player but nothing outstanding. Injury prone as well.

Andy74
12-02-2010, 04:58 PM
Classic!

JimBHibees
12-02-2010, 05:01 PM
Jeezo bring back Jim Farry. :greengrin Shambles.

Edinburgh Green
12-02-2010, 05:13 PM
David van zanten had him in his back pocket every time he played against him, way way wayyyy overrated.

ronaldo7
12-02-2010, 05:13 PM
Some of you who get to see more football than me might be able to tell me......is Driver that good?

I've seen him in maybe 3 or 4 games and I've watched him because his name always seems to be mentioned in the press, but I didn't notice anything special.

Spot on bud:top marks

Woody1985
12-02-2010, 05:15 PM
SSN reporting Driver is not eligible for Scotland becuase he only had 4 years, 11 months and 26 days of schooling in Scotland!

****ing outstanding. Is this confirmed anywhere?

Dicking us about to see if he could play for his first choice.

:faf: :faf: :faf:

Part/Time Supporter
12-02-2010, 05:16 PM
****ing outstanding. Is this confirmed anywhere?

Dicking us about to see if he could play for his first choice.

:faf: :faf: :faf:

All over RS now. Levein says he is two months short of the five years needed.

Andy74
12-02-2010, 05:19 PM
All over RS now. Levein says he is two months short of the five years needed.

This is one of the best seasons I can ever remember. It's been non stop with the hilarious news!

Sylar
12-02-2010, 05:25 PM
To be honest, this about sums up the blazers that run the game. Regardless to opinion on whether or not he is/isn't good enough for the national side, the bureaucracry evident in the halls of power is farcical.

Craig Levein said the following just over a week ago:

Levein said: "Andy Driver gave me the nod yesterday that he is dead keen.

"I said 'Do you want to go away and think about it?' He said 'No, my mind is made up, I want to play for Scotland'.

"We need to find out he meets the criteria exactly, that it's five years schooling and not four years, 11 months and 26 days."

Rules are rules, but for goodness sake - he doesn't have a different passport from anyone else in the UK! How can it be fair that countless Brazilians who aren't good enough to play for their own national side can claim citizenship in another country and play for them?

GreenPJ
12-02-2010, 05:28 PM
Aye brilliant, I forgot Scotland is graced with so much talent :bitchy:

The principal of the rule should take the precedence here rather than the specific length of time (i.e. short of two months).

Whether he is good enough or not is another issue but at least allow him the eligibility to play if selected.

Andy74
12-02-2010, 05:33 PM

The principal of the rule should take the precedence here rather than the specific length of time (i.e. short of two months).

Whether he is good enough or not is another issue but at least allow him the eligibility to play if selected.
There has to be a cut off and he's not eligible. Over rated and fond of the treatment table. No loss.

KerPlunk
12-02-2010, 05:34 PM
Driver not eligible for Scotland (he left school too early)

What, did he have to go down t'pit or crawl up chim-chim-chimernees ? :wink:

Danderhall Hibs
12-02-2010, 05:36 PM

danderhall - your number of posts is suspiciously similar to attendances at easter road

Not the official attendances. :wink:

Do you mean just reduce the eligibility to suit us? Can we do that with someone who's 22 - play him in the under 21s - he's only a wee bit too old.

lapsedhibee
12-02-2010, 05:39 PM
Possibly just my unfamiliarity with the yamathematical system, but how is 4 yrs 11 months 26 days short of 5 years by two months? :confused:

Woody1985
12-02-2010, 05:42 PM
To be honest, this about sums up the blazers that run the game. Regardless to opinion on whether or not he is/isn't good enough for the national side, the bureaucracry evident in the halls of power is farcical.

Craig Levein said the following just over a week ago:

Levein said: "Andy Driver gave me the nod yesterday that he is dead keen.

"I said 'Do you want to go away and think about it?' He said 'No, my mind is made up, I want to play for Scotland'.

"We need to find out he meets the criteria exactly, that it's five years schooling and not four years, 11 months and 26 days."

Rules are rules, but for goodness sake - he doesn't have a different passport from anyone else in the UK! How can it be fair that countless Brazilians who aren't good enough to play for their own national side can claim citizenship in another country and play for them?

Anyone can obtain citizenship in most countries, usually automatically after a set period of living there.

The UK is slightly different in that you need a work permit to get non-EU nationals in i.e. Brazilians. Which is why you see more Brazilians playing for Spain and Portugal.

I think we also have an unwritten agreement, IIRC, that we won't select players whom have taken up citizenship here because they can effectively play for any of the UK due to the passport. Although I think England were looking at Almunia and us Novo so could be wrong on that.

Part/Time Supporter
12-02-2010, 05:43 PM
Possibly just my unfamiliarity with the yamathematical system, but how is 4 yrs 11 months 26 days short of 5 years by two months? :confused:

The OP confused Levein's quote from about a week ago (he said then that he would have to check Driver's eligibility, in case he had been to a Scottish school for 4yr, 11mth and 26 days) with his quote today (saying that Driver is two months short).

KWJ
12-02-2010, 05:46 PM
Could he not go to night school?

:greengrin

I'd have thought something might be able to get done.

Decent squad player at the moment but not first 11. When did he last have a great game for Hearts?

ArabHibee
12-02-2010, 06:50 PM
The only problem I have with guys like Driver is why pick Scotland in the first place. He was more than over the moon when he was playing for engerlund's under 21's so how come the switch of allegience, unless ........................................ he realises he just wont get a game for engerlund and goes for the next best thing.:bitchy:
He is a decent player but nothing outstanding. Injury prone as well.

:top marksMy thoughts exactly. He's no Scottish, he can GTF as far as I'm concerned.

Dashing Bob S
12-02-2010, 06:53 PM
Gutted. Bang goes the Euro Nations Cup.

Part/Time Supporter
12-02-2010, 06:54 PM
Gutted. Bang goes the Euro Nations Cup.

:agree:

Sergio Ramos had been cacking himself at the thought of facing Andy Driver.

ballengeich
12-02-2010, 07:00 PM
McFadden
Riordan
Maloney
Morrison
Snodgrass?

Is that other players in the same position or other players with less than five years at school?

ronaldo7
12-02-2010, 07:12 PM

Were you recently employed by Dunfermline.:dunno:

PeterboroHibee
12-02-2010, 08:00 PM
McFadden
Riordan
Maloney
Morrison
Snodgrass?

Snodgrass and McFadden are the only two players from that list Id want, and one of them is for the future.

Riordans a great player for Hibs, but he doesnt do enough on the wing to get anywhere near the Scotland team imo. Maloney and Morrison are both pish.

jdships
12-02-2010, 08:06 PM

Exactly my thought when I saw the TV news :thumbsup:
Not exactly in the " one that got away " catagory !!!:greengrin

matty_f
12-02-2010, 08:22 PM
I think this is great news. :agree:

Driver's hugely over-rated, and he'd already chosen England ahead of Scotland. For me, he shouldn't be allowed to change his mind anyway - you're not Scottish when it suits you. ****** him.

'Mon the rules!:thumbsup:

blackhibee
12-02-2010, 08:55 PM
Snodgrass and McFadden are the only two players from that list Id want, and one of them is for the future.

Riordans a great player for Hibs, but he doesnt do enough on the wing to get anywhere near the Scotland team imo. Maloney and Morrison are both pish.

So you think that Driver is better than any of those players in this position? Well that's your opinion.

jabis
12-02-2010, 09:25 PM
Andy(nae)Capp

one for the older viewer :greengrin

stokesmessiah
12-02-2010, 09:32 PM

The thing that really gets me about this story which has been getting banded about for ages is did no one in the SFA think about making sure he was eligible before it was splashed all over the papers???

Now we just look like desperate idiots that couldnt even check something as simple as that ?!?

McHibby
13-02-2010, 02:22 AM
The thing that really gets me about this story which has been getting banded about for ages is did no one in the SFA think about making sure he was eligible before it was splashed all over the papers???

Now we just look like desperate idiots that couldnt even check something as simple as that ?!?

Exactly!!

stevenhibs
13-02-2010, 06:35 AM
Exactly my thought when I saw the TV news :thumbsup:
Not exactly in the " one that got away " catagory !!!:greengrin

Not yet he's not but (now we have to be totally honest with ourselves here) remember Paul Hartley. He wasn't the best but matured into a decent player.

Driver has the potential. He's probably always on the treatment table because he can't face turning out for that shower again.

I'd be a shame if he missed out because of a few weeks. Let's face it, we're Scotland! We need all the help we can get just now.

ronaldo7
13-02-2010, 08:33 AM
Jim O'Brien has been given clearance to play for Scotland. A better prospect than Driver on the wing imo. :thumbsup:

Mag7
13-02-2010, 09:06 AM
The fact he plays for Hearts should have been enough to prevent him playing for Scotland!

But from a neutral perspective, how come nobody thought to check his school record before this story grew arms and legs across the media? Typical SFA shambles.

ArabHibee
13-02-2010, 09:15 AM
Jim O'Brien has been given clearance to play for Scotland. A better prospect than Driver on the wing imo. :thumbsup:

Why did he need clearance?

Removed
13-02-2010, 09:44 AM

He was born here but he has aready played U19 & U21 for RoI

jakedance
13-02-2010, 10:10 AM
The moral of the story is stay in school kids.

Posh Swanny
13-02-2010, 05:13 PM
McFadden
Riordan
Maloney
Morrison
Snodgrass?

Assuming George Boyd leaves Posh in the summer for a top Championship or lower Premier League club, you should add him to that list.

ronaldo7
13-02-2010, 06:40 PM

He was born here but he has aready played U19 & U21 for RoI

Thank you B:thumbsup:

johnrebus
13-02-2010, 08:24 PM
Driver for Scotland ?

Ah'm all for it 'masel

How else will the team bus get there ?

Hainan Hibs
13-02-2010, 08:30 PM
Couldn't give a flying monkey.

Driver was picking Scotland because he was too crap for England. Doesn't deserve to wear the dark blue.