PDA

View Full Version : Do football supporters know anything about football?

BSEJVT
11-02-2010, 07:35 AM
Having read most of the threads on the board, I wonder if some football supporters know anything about football?

Some folks could give you a critique of their most favourite and least favourite players performances for the remainder of the season now.

They have already made up their minds about how good player a) is and how bad player b) is and a performance at the opposite end of their view of that players ability wouldn't change a thing.

The same players perenially get stick, the same players performances are totally ignored and the same players can do no wrong.

The manager changes the tactics to play 3 at the back and to do that you need three strong physical tacklers, Wotherspoon isnt so has to be sacrificed.

Yet the manager gets pelters and we salvage a point?

KerPlunk
11-02-2010, 07:40 AM
To be a good football fan, strict adherence to the following is required :-

1. Those who can,do, those who can't, moan.

2. A little knowledge is a dangerous thing.

3. The customer is always right.

Easy peasy.

:devil:

lucky
11-02-2010, 07:43 AM
I think football fans do know about the game its just we don't all share the same views as such that what makes it the greatest game. And for the record your wrong about taking Spoony off and how can you descibe Benji as a physical player! Opinions we have them.

HH81
11-02-2010, 07:46 AM
i dont think he was describing benji as a physical player he was saying we need 3 of them at the back! I was at the game and i thought it was a very good choice

BSEJVT
11-02-2010, 07:49 AM
I think football fans do know about the game its just we don't all share the same views as such that what makes it the greatest game. And for the record your wrong about taking Spoony off and how can you descibe Benji as a physical player! Opinions we have them.

Where did I describe Benji as a physical player?

littleplum
11-02-2010, 08:50 AM
I have to say I sitting shaking my head when the linesman was getting pelters for not flagging an Aberdeen player offside direct from an Aberdeen goal kick :rolleyes:

Geo_1875
11-02-2010, 09:18 AM
Correct that a player cannot be offside from a goalkick. However, the offside law makes no reference to an offence when the ball is still in the attacking teams half and as such Zoomer should not have been penalised when he ran back to collect the ball.

davemcbain
11-02-2010, 09:24 AM
Having read most of the threads on the board, I wonder if some football supporters know anything about football?

Speaking for myself - Nope, not a lot.

I fail to see a lot of unseen work, get taken in by the lazy bas with the jinking runs and don't get players who fall over randomly.

Still enjoy the odd game, particularly when the Hibees win.

Don't know much about beer either, but I do enjoy the odd pint.

HFC 0-7
11-02-2010, 09:36 AM

Some folks could give you a critique of their most favourite and least favourite players performances for the remainder of the season now.

They have already made up their minds about how good player a) is and how bad player b) is and a performance at the opposite end of their view of that players ability wouldn't change a thing.

The same players perenially get stick, the same players performances are totally ignored and the same players can do no wrong.

The manager changes the tactics to play 3 at the back and to do that you need three strong physical tacklers, Wotherspoon isnt so has to be sacrificed.

Football fans in general know about football. Its all about opinions. If you had 2 top managers watching the game they would probably have differing opinions of tactic changes etc. Its also down to preference. Some people on here would rather a player have desire, have the will to run about non stop the whole match but not do much. Others dont care about work rate as long as they have the ability to do nothing in a match then pop up and score the winning goal. others favour a balance. No one is wrong because all of them have their place, and this is where players can get slated from some fans and yet be praised and loved by others.

What a lot of fans dont know or wont accept, is that changes to the team selection, tactics etc that dont match their own views arent wrong they just dont match their opinion. I am sure everyone who likes to think they know football well, have looked on while a selection change is made or tactics changed and shook their head is disbelief only for the team to come out winners.

In regards to making their mind up about a players season before the season is finished, I think even managers have to do this. A manager cant keep playing a player in the hope that they play the way you think they can play. At some point you just need to accept that they may just not perform and drop them.

NORTHERNHIBBY
11-02-2010, 09:54 AM

You make a decent list of points but I don't know where a debate like this would go because what is football without supporters?

Expecting Rain
11-02-2010, 10:01 AM
£22 a game to have an opinion, none of us are going to be asked to coach Barcelona on the strength of our knowledge or lack of it, Yogi and Brian Rice could tie us up in knots with the complexities of football but like a few others i thought Wotherspoon and Zemmama were linking up well to answer one of the points and that we were defensively shaky enough without reducing the back four to three without opinions there is no point to being on the board.

Hibby D
11-02-2010, 10:10 AM

Opinions and knowledge are two entirely different things - I have both, just like every other football fan. But I don't know it all (well I wouldn't cos I'm a girl :greengrin) and I'm (wo)man enough to change my opinion when my opinion on players and tactics proves to be a crock of keech; but that's not very often :devil:

Bottom line is, I guess, that Yogi knows more than us; which is why he's the manager of Hibs and we're not :wink:

littleplum
11-02-2010, 10:19 AM
Correct that a player cannot be offside from a goalkick. However, the offside law makes no reference to an offence when the ball is still in the attacking teams half and as such Zoomer should not have been penalised when he ran back to collect the ball.

The offside law doesn't need to specifically mention it. Whether a player's in an offside position or not is determined at the moment the ball is played, not where he runs to collect it. The only time the fact you're in your own half comes into it is if that's where you are when the ball is played (i.e. you cannot be offside in those circumstances). FWIW, I thought he was a good yard or so offside (if I'm thinking about the same occasion you are).

KerPlunk
11-02-2010, 10:21 AM
Opinions and knowledge are two entirely different things - I have both, just like every other football fan. But I don't know it all (well I wouldn't cos I'm a girl :greengrin) and I'm (wo)man enough to change my opinion when my opinion on players and tactics proves to be a crock of keech; but that's not very often :devil:

Bottom line is, I guess, that Yogi knows more than us; which is why he's the manager of Hibs and we're not :wink:

YouTube - Father Ted - Football, Football, Football (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9hyaZOTtSmA)

That should sort you out. :cool2:

blackpoolhibs
11-02-2010, 10:27 AM
I was telling my mate a (Blackpool fan) last night before the game just how bad the pitch was. And in his opinion it was as bad as anything he's seen in the championship.:grr: When we went 2 down, i said to him, we have to stop trying to play football here, by the time we have the ball under control, its given them time to get back goal side, and they have shut us down again.

At half time, he said i cant see Hibs getting back into this game, but i was convinced if we changed our tactics, and went long, we'd feed off the scraps with our quality forwards. So much so, i went to the ladbrokes behind the east stand and too the 4/1 odds we'd get a draw.:thumbsup:

Yogi got his tactics right in the 2nd half, we in all probability should have won the game, but again we showed we are very difficult to beat, and thats fine by me. This team are going to qualify for europe, we ARE having a great run in the cup, and both these things were never on the agenda last season or the season before. Well done Hibs.:thumbsup:

Hibby D
11-02-2010, 10:38 AM
YouTube - Father Ted - Football, Football, Football (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9hyaZOTtSmA)

That should sort you out. :cool2:

I've read that book already :greengrin

aussie_hibee
11-02-2010, 12:39 PM
This is not meant to come across as an arrogant post or an uberfan post or an I know better than you post, it's just how I feel in regards to supporters opinions, knowledge etc.

I tend to wonder how many people on here have actually played football (not down the park but in a structured team over a couple of seasons or so at least) and at what level.

Whilst I am not stating you have to have played football to understand it or have opinions on it, I do feel that when it comes to in depth discussions on players and postions, I feel it is more relevant.

I constantly run in to this problem with my dad. He has been watching football for longer than I have been alive and has very strong opinions on the game. He can also see where a game is being won or lost. However, the last time he kicked a ball was over 40 years ago and he has never played in a team. We, like any other 2 people watching a game together, have differences of opinion throughout the game. I always take his opinion in to consideration until he starts to talk about a players performance. Whilst he picks up the obvious: bad ball, ball watching, not tracking back etc, the problem comes when he starts saying what the player should be doing instead. How can someone who has NEVER played the game comment on how to do it better? Without starting another Deeks thread, it is beyond me how people slate him a.) without actually knowing what he's been asked to do by the manager and b.) they wouldn't have a clue how hard it is to play wide midfield. To drop back and protect your full back, and then when his team gains possession, possibly in front of him, he is expected to be level with play or forward of it to receive the ball and deliver a quality final ball. If he doesn't he's not fit enough or quick enough or lacks the quality. The same goes in reverse. He may put in that quality ball but the strikers or other wide man doesn't get in the box in time and it's picked up by the centre half who launches it up the park. Said wide midfielder is now expected to tuck in for his full back as the full back has been pulled in by his centre halves to cover them.

Those who have played will also pick up things that those who haven't won't see. Drawing players, dare i say it "unseen work"...! the small things that start a move or cause a goal 3 or 4 moves before the goal is conceded.

This may be a poor analogy but I can't sing, so I would never pass judgement or criticise a singer on their perfomance but it seems ok for football fans to do it. Sure it would make the views a bit more boring but i just feel too many supporters get carried away with their opinion on players performances. eg: how does riordan get a game? Because john hughes picks him. Because John Hughes knows a damn sight more about football, becaus john hughes sees him train every day. For all we know, Riordan may be doing exactly what yogi is asking him to do. Maybe and probably not but we don't know what part is asked of him and what part isn't.

Anyway, my tin hat is on and I'm ready for abuse, fire away.

God Petrie
11-02-2010, 12:46 PM
In general, no.