PDA

View Full Version : Defensive frailties?

Nailrod
11-02-2010, 07:15 AM
Disappointing to have leaked two goals in half a game to a team as weak in front of goal as Aberdeen, but a bit indicative of the way our games are going lately.

It's worth noting that if you take the eight matches since the Rangers game at ER we have managed one single clean sheet (against Junior opposition) and conceded eight goals. In the eight matches prior to the Rangers game we conceded just three goals and had five clean-sheets.

A win yesterday would have allowed us to keep up the pressure on both halves of the OF, who are themselves showing signs of weakness, with Celtic's recent results against ourselves, Falkirk and Killie, and Rangers having failed to beat Hamilton, St Mirren, and Motherwell in the last few weeks. As it is we now basically have to beat Rangers at Ibrox to keep in touch - do-able, but a tough ask.

Since I've been out of the country since Christmas I haven't seen any of the games live. Is our defence really weaker than it was, or are we just not getting the rub of the green so much?

KerPlunk
11-02-2010, 07:19 AM
Bamba's og against Smurn doesn't count as this was his "Vaudeville Moment" after his return from ACN.

:cool2:

Nailrod
11-02-2010, 07:22 AM
Bamba's og against Smurn doesn't count as this was his "Vaudeville Moment" after his return from ACN.

:cool2:It also took our central defensive partnership's net goals for the season to zero (Bamba +1 v Bairns and -1 v Smurn)

Part/Time Supporter
11-02-2010, 07:39 AM
Chopping and changing the defence doesn't help:

new goalie
Bamba away and back and away again
Wotherspoon is a bit inconsistent defensively
Murray and Hanlon getting swapped around

I think there have been one or two more mistakes due to that sort of thing, the Bamba og in particular. The defensive record pre-Rangers was a bit freakish, as in most of the clean sheet games the opponent missed more than one clear chance (eg the St. Johnstone 3-0 game). Last night really balanced out a lot of that kind of luck, as the Sheep scored two goals (the second one a lucky one) against the run of play.

steakbake
11-02-2010, 07:55 AM
Their second goal was a bit of a freak.

I don't think we have defensive frailties at all.

davemcbain
11-02-2010, 08:27 AM
Their second goal was a bit of a freak.

I don't think we have defensive frailties at all.

:agree:

PeterboroHibee
11-02-2010, 08:30 AM
We cant seem to keep clean cheets at the moment which is a bit worrying, but while we are outscoring our opponents it doesnt really matter.

I dont think the defence are weak, just need some consistancy, a decent run of games.

Expecting Rain
11-02-2010, 08:37 AM
The obsession with stats is papering over the cracks, we concede far too many clear cut opportunities to the opposition, Yogi would probably argue that we are an attack minded team which suits the majority of the fans ( including me) but we need to find a better balance and it might be next season before that happens, compared with last year i can live with that.