PDA

View Full Version : Overall, not a bad night's work / Motherwell coming into it (merged)

Mag7
10-02-2010, 11:15 PM
I had a feeling tonight's game might just see us slip up, especially when I heard the Scottish Cup draw. As Yogi has stressed, the players have to forget about the cup for now but they can't help but have had a wee think to themselves that they've now got a great chance of making the semis, which may or may not have contributed to tonight's sloppy first half. Also, we'd just won four games in a row and while I'd love to have seen them make it five it's maybe asking too much to expect the players to keep winning every game.

However, the fact they did come back from two goals down shows strength of character and with United surprisingly losing it's another point gained in the quest for third place. And let's be honest, third place IS what we're aiming for so I was happy enough for Celtic to stuff Hearts and send those ****ers into the bottom six.

Two defeats in 19 league games and an encouraging draw in the last eight of the cup? All in all I'm happy enough.

sleeping giant
10-02-2010, 11:18 PM
Enjoyed that match :agree:

Great stuff

Steve20
10-02-2010, 11:19 PM
Aberdeen are a very poor side and we struggled against them. Anything but a good night's work. Can't just turn up for 45 mins.

jakedance
10-02-2010, 11:28 PM
I thought, overall, we were the better team and unfortunate not to win. A draw tonight isn't the end of the world. They've done us proud over the last few weeks. Onwards and upwards.

IWasThere2016
10-02-2010, 11:30 PM
I think we'll need to watch Well more than the Arabs.

Arabs are inconsistent - hopeless without Webster.

Well are in rich form and Paw Broon's doing a very decent job.

We should have enough goals in us but we MUST be up for every game from the off!

Cannae wait for St Johnstone game next week :agree:

Mag7
10-02-2010, 11:31 PM
Aberdeen are a very poor side and we struggled against them. Anything but a good night's work. Can't just turn up for 45 mins.

Better than not turning up at all. Much as we'd all love to see Hibs on song from first minute to last, unfortunately few football teams can command that level of consistency. It's been a good season so far and another point in the bag from a game we were losing 2-0 is always useful.

Hainan Hibs
10-02-2010, 11:33 PM
I was thinking the same, the Mothers are starting to come into some form and could be the team to watch.

Hibs will just have to keep getting the points in and as you said we have be up for every game from the start and stop giving other teams a head start in games. We need to be in top gear from the start, not spending the first half in 2nd gear and then giving ourselves a big task for the 2nd half.

shamo9
10-02-2010, 11:34 PM
I'm slightly concerned by Motherwell (on fire at the moment:wink:). They're 9 points behind and playing Hamilton (them again) while we're away to the Champions. Considering we're away to them next week, they could conceivably go 3 points behind if we don't win our game in hand.

All ifs and buts at the moment but they seem to be doing a lot better than Dundee United currently. Big questions will be asked over the next footballing week. Will decide where we finish IMO.

Purehibee_MYB
10-02-2010, 11:35 PM
Big game coming up away to Motherwell if that is to be the case... surely if we beat them on their turf(If you can call it that) we have sealed third effectively?:duck:

brydekirk
10-02-2010, 11:35 PM
I think we'll need to watch Well more than the Arabs.

Arabs are inconsistent - hopeless without Webster.

Well are in rich form and Paw Broon's doing a very decent job.

We should have enough goals in us but we MUST be up for every game from the off!

Cannae wait for St Johnstone game next week :agree:
:agree: that jim o'brien was good again tonight, caused the huns a lot of problems. would like him at hibs.

CB_NO3
10-02-2010, 11:38 PM
I think the 2 games against St Johnstone are huge. If we can get 6 points out they 2 games I think we will come third.

crewetollhibee
11-02-2010, 12:02 AM
Was at a night out in Prezzo's tonight, and only asked my mate to txt me full time score. When I saw it, I thought - I hope that we came back from 2 down rather than surrender a 2 goal lead. So I'm quite happy knowing that we have the character to come back from that deficit, rather than bottling it from 2 up. Settle for tonight's overall results, ta very much. Nite nite any watching Yams, we're still clinging on to our early season promise. Don't have any nightmares.

PC Stamp
11-02-2010, 12:11 AM
I actually thought we looked OK in the first 15-20mins but lost a rotten first goal which perhaps should have been a free kick in our favour. That knocked us out of our stride a bit and their second goal added insult to injury as the initial shot was going nowhere til it hit MacLean's head! The positive to take though is that this Hibs side don't give it up, they keep at it and we finally got a break with Stokesy's goal when a crap bounce went for us after several others had gone against us. We then proceeded to batter Aberdeen by throwing men forward and it was always the case we'd likely give up a chance or two by doing so. Fortune however favours the brave and we got a deserved reward IMHO for our never say die attitude. We are definitely now a hard side to beat in the main!

surreyhibbie
11-02-2010, 12:56 AM
How many times have we been going well and then collapsed after New Year?

Plenty

Looks like we may have a bit more steel this time :wink:

That'll do for me. :thumbsup:

Nailrod
11-02-2010, 08:39 AM
A point gained as far as the half-time position is concerned, but definitely two points lost in the wider scheme of things.

Our league position is a little flattered by our having played 13 at home and only 10 away. We needed three points last night to put some clear air between us and the teams behind us, and to keep on the coat-tails of the OF. That has to be our objective - we have a far better pool of players than any of the teams outside of the OF.

If we start to look at what's happening behind us the chances are we're going to slip up

KerPlunk
11-02-2010, 08:49 AM
I'm slightly concerned by Motherwell (on fire at the moment:wink:). They're 9 points behind and playing Hamilton (them again) while we're away to the Champions. Considering we're away to them next week, they could conceivably go 3 points behind if we don't win our game in hand.

Motherwell were robbed blind by an obvious Hun linesman :boo hoo: last night who flagged a perfectly good goal for offside. That would have put them 2 ahead of Reich XI.

NORTHERNHIBBY
11-02-2010, 08:59 AM
Aberdeen could not defend properly and Langfield had an awful game. Any other night we would have shoved four or five past them but, the two goals apart, the Dons had the most clear cut chances in the second half. The two goals we lost were dissapointing.

Sylar
11-02-2010, 09:18 AM
If we eventually secure 3rd place, last night is probably the game we can look back on and say "that was the clincher". We went 0-2 at home, and could very conceivably let the heads drop and end up being beaten comfortably, but we fought back and grabbed a draw. United went 0-2 at home and couldn't claw anything out of it. We need to keep picking up on those behind us, and with a game in hand, we could potentially be 9 or 12 points in front of Motherwell before we play them next week!

Last night turned out quite nicely, though a Celtic-Hearts draw would have been more satisfactory.

Part/Time Supporter
11-02-2010, 11:40 AM
If we eventually secure 3rd place, last night is probably the game we can look back on and say "that was the clincher". We went 0-2 at home, and could very conceivably let the heads drop and end up being beaten comfortably, but we fought back and grabbed a draw. United went 0-2 at home and couldn't claw anything out of it. We need to keep picking up on those behind us, and with a game in hand, we could potentially be 9 or 12 points in front of Motherwell before we play them next week!

Last night turned out quite nicely, though a Celtic-Hearts draw would have been more satisfactory.

Celtc winning could have the advantage of the Huns bricking it on Sunday if their lead is down to 5 points by then.

--------
11-02-2010, 11:45 AM
I actually thought we looked OK in the first 15-20mins but lost a rotten first goal which perhaps should have been a free kick in our favour. That knocked us out of our stride a bit and their second goal added insult to injury as the initial shot was going nowhere til it hit MacLean's head! The positive to take though is that this Hibs side don't give it up, they keep at it and we finally got a break with Stokesy's goal when a crap bounce went for us after several others had gone against us. We then proceeded to batter Aberdeen by throwing men forward and it was always the case we'd likely give up a chance or two by doing so. Fortune however favours the brave and we got a deserved reward IMHO for our never say die attitude. We are definitely now a hard side to beat in the main!

That would be my take on it. :agree:

Maybe Yogi's been reading Sun Tzu? :devil:

ahibby
11-02-2010, 12:13 PM
I always feel that coming off the back of an easy game we are seldom at our best. I would rather play Aberdeen following a game against the OF rather than against a low league side, your just not up to speed. It looked to me as if that was yet again proving to be the case in the first half. Thankfully the second half was like watching a different team. I don't think we looked bad but we did look as if we thought all we had to do was turn up, in the first half.

Sylar
11-02-2010, 12:18 PM
Celtc winning could have the advantage of the Huns bricking it on Sunday if their lead is down to 5 points by then.

Rangers always seem to get results when they need them. It's usually better to face them when they've allowed an air of complacency to sneak into their game.

Part/Time Supporter
11-02-2010, 12:20 PM
Rangers always seem to get results when they need them. It's usually better to face them when they've allowed an air of complacency to sneak into their game.

They'll be bricking it. They haven't played well since they horsed United and not winning the league this year would be potentially catastrophic for them.