PDA

View Full Version : How does Riordan get a game?!?! (Merged)

borstalboy
10-02-2010, 10:44 PM
I thought tonight he was very poor. So many one on one oppotunities and he cuts back everytime. Doesnt do enough going forward IMO.

He might score the odd wonder goal and I think he is a potential match winner but I just dont think he gives enough to the team!

He's not performed at all this year!

Hainan Hibs
10-02-2010, 10:46 PM
You'll need one of these :tin hat:

When you criticise Riordan a lot of posters here get their knickers in a twist and take it more to heart than Riordan's own mum would.

You'll cause a few tears:greengrin

shamo9
10-02-2010, 10:49 PM
I think I've seen this before:rolleyes: Lord, this is getting repetitive.

FWIW, Riordan actually won two or three tackles today which is the equilvalent of scoring a 40 yard screamer for anyone else:wink:

hibbie02
10-02-2010, 10:49 PM
I thought tonight he was very poor. So many one on one oppotunities and he cuts back everytime. Doesnt do enough going forward IMO.

He might score the odd wonder goal and I think he is a potential match winner but I just dont think he gives enough to the team!

Because he is our second highest scorer this season and one of the best in Scotland. However we would get more out of him as the left sided striker in a 2 striker line up, rather than a winger. Just like the old days with GOC.

steakbake
10-02-2010, 10:50 PM
What more do you want the guy to do? Walk on water?

hibbie02
10-02-2010, 10:51 PM
What more do you want the guy to do? Walk on water?

You mean like Stokesy does? :greengrin

andrew70
10-02-2010, 10:52 PM
Derek worked really hard for team tonight and that's just as important as scoring goals especially on nights like tonight.

HibeeJoxy
10-02-2010, 10:54 PM
Didn't see the game, but as much as he is a game winner and I love the guy. I also think Yogi has been giving him too much respect this season.

I was happy to see tonight that Yogi subbed him for Gowser, might make Deek think twice about his (given) place in the first team.

Not a win but a cracking result tonight, some hard games coming up and only 15 left to play. Could be a good point in the season to get a wake up call? Remember the St. Johnston game at the start of the season and the reaction from the team, more of the same please.:greengrin

GGTTH

brythehibby
10-02-2010, 10:55 PM
Derek worked really hard for team tonight and that's just as important as scoring goals especially on nights like tonight.

Did he? I'd say he worked but no very hard. He looks lost out wide and maybe it's getting to him. He's being wasted out wide left but yogi keeps playing him there. He's had better days that's for sure.

skipster7
10-02-2010, 10:56 PM
i agree to an extent , but how would boyd or keane play at left midfield ? tonight he won a slide tackle at his own corner flag !! this is a guy who has scored about 80 goals for us and is wasted there.imo stokes should have been off instead of riordan tonight.

Judas Iscariot
10-02-2010, 10:57 PM
Imagine if he was as bad as Nish

brythehibby
10-02-2010, 11:04 PM
Imagine if he was as bad as Nish

He was probably worse the night. As I said being wasted out wide but needs to work harder regardless.

jae
10-02-2010, 11:06 PM

Think you have mabye answered your own question

brythehibby
10-02-2010, 11:08 PM
Nish was playing????????????

You think riordan did more than nish tonight? Riordan a far better player by a country mile, but not tonight he wasn't.

Baldy Foghorn
10-02-2010, 11:08 PM
Nish was playing????????????

:yawn:

Most of our decent chances / attacks involved Nish, whether it was his flick ons, or tenacity..........

Why does he continually get a hard time???:confused:

Malthibby
10-02-2010, 11:09 PM
Riordan's not at his best at the moment, but the way we seem to be playing leaves him isolated on a regular basis, imho. We now have Gow to come on if it ain't working, but I don't doubt that DR will come good again. Glad he didn't take the penalty, though.
GG

danhibees1875
10-02-2010, 11:11 PM
i agree to an extent , but how would boyd or keane play at left midfield ? tonight he won a slide tackle at his own corner flag !! this is a guy who has scored about 80 goals for us and is wasted there.imo stokes should have been off instead of riordan tonight.

Stokes was relentless, he chased everything....

:confused:

Baldy Foghorn
10-02-2010, 11:11 PM
Riordan's not at his best at the moment, but the way we seem to be playing leaves him isolated on a regular basis, imho. We now have Gow to come on if it ain't working, but I don't doubt that DR will come good again. Glad he didn't take the penalty, though.
GG

Think DR was off the field when the penalty was awarded IIRC.....

NadeAteMyLunch!
10-02-2010, 11:12 PM
:yawn: 'Should deeks get a game' debates are more common than flag debates now on this site! Deeks up top with stokes, Gow out wide left, Nish on bench to come on if we need a target man. Can we not jst enjoy the players we have at the moment instead of constantly moaning at them. If riordan had tapped in the winner tonite from one yard out he would be a hero again and this thread certainly wouldnt exist!!! Such a fine line between being a star player and being crucified on here.

JoeT
10-02-2010, 11:12 PM
Someone tell him that a corner is a free cross....cross the ball to the big guys that have ran 60 yards up the pitch to get on the end of it...dinnae fanny about with short corners

hibee_girl
10-02-2010, 11:13 PM
Someone tell him that a corner is a free cross....cross the ball to the big guys that have ran 60 yards up the pitch to get on the end of it...dinnae fanny about with short corners

:agree: short corners are so pointless

patlowe
10-02-2010, 11:13 PM
Regarding Nish's performance; if it wasn't for him being a nuisance, our "tactics" in the second half of Hogg hoofing it towards Aberdeen's goal would have been useless. For all his flaws, their defence couldn't handle him.

Malthibby
10-02-2010, 11:15 PM
Delabooze 'Think DR was off the field.....':flamed::embarrass

Baldy Foghorn
can't stay onside
can't stay on his feet
can't control the ball
Can't jump

I thought he was pish and should have been hooked

Nope I think that is unfair, he was instrumental for us tonight...... Does a lot of the unpretty work......

hibee_girl
can't stay onside - linesman tonight didn't seem to understand the offside rule
can't stay on his feet - can't remember him being on the ground too much tonight and when he was he was genuinely fouled
can't control the ball - there was only one time tonight i thought his first touch was bad
can't jump - he won numerous headers tonight

i thought he was pish and should have been hooked

imo

Cabbage1875
10-02-2010, 11:17 PM

Most of our decent chances / attacks involved Nish, whether it was his flick ons, or tenacity..........

Spot on.

Agreed he was shocking in the first half but when we started to go more direct to Nish he was causing them bother. His knock down to the woeful Riordan for his volley was very clever.

Deeks needs to do more, that's the bottom line.

Baldy Foghorn
10-02-2010, 11:17 PM
That's fine. Doesn't change my mind though.

Entitled to your opinion, but like Hibee Girl said above, he was fouled alot tonight, few of which were given, and won his fair share of knock ons.....

monktonharp
10-02-2010, 11:18 PM
i agree to an extent , but how would boyd or keane play at left midfield ? tonight he won a slide tackle at his own corner flag !! this is a guy who has scored about 80 goals for us and is wasted there.imo stokes should have been off instead of riordan tonight.:agree:Derek has a knack of finding his own players with a long accurate pass,Stokes doesn't and tries to get goals all by himself.

lucky
10-02-2010, 11:19 PM
Deeks is struggling for form. He was poor tonight along with Miller. I thought Nish did ok and that spoony was MOTM

Baldy Foghorn
10-02-2010, 11:20 PM
Delabooze 'Think DR was off the field.....':flamed::embarrass

:confused:

monktonharp
10-02-2010, 11:21 PM

Why does he continually get a hard time???:confused:some of us have to defend Deeks against predators:wink:

Rasta_Hibs
10-02-2010, 11:22 PM
Think you have mabye answered your own question

Deffo answered his own question.

Deeks a match winner!

jabis
10-02-2010, 11:24 PM

:fishin:

starts a thread and then lurks about.

Never mind

played 3
lost 3
goals for ZILCH

Jizz Jaffa to the rescue..............NOT !

Kevvy1875
10-02-2010, 11:25 PM
A 2-2 draw? Hardly a disaster and folk want Deeks emptied?

Bedwetters....The hardcore of 14 players or so has got us where we are now and they have(in your eyes) a poor 90mins and you are all for emptying them?

Support? A few need to revisit the meaning of the word.

Derek Riordan: What? the 8th or 9th top scorer in Hibs HISTORY now? Our top scorer in every season he has played for us. A Hibs supporter born and bred.

aye...what am I thinking of...get him tae *****....

Footnote: I am not pro Nish or Riordan(seems like a big issue if you are one or the other), just a Hibby that thinks the team that has got us where we currently are deserve a bit more support and a little less criticism.

jabis
10-02-2010, 11:29 PM

Bedwetters....The hardcore of 14 players or so has got us where we are now and they have(in your eyes) a poor 90mins and you are all for emptying them?

Derek Riordan: What? the 8th or 9th top scorer in Hibs HISTORY now? Our top scorer in every season he has played for us. A Hibs supporter born and bred.

Footnote: I am not pro Nish or Riordan(seems like a big issue if you are one or the other), just a Hibby that thinks the team that has got us where we currently are deserve a bit more support and a little less criticism.

:top marks

Big90inOz
10-02-2010, 11:35 PM
Have to agree with OP, left midfield has been our weak point all season. Deek is waisted out there.
Did he get past the full back tonight ? Most of the time he cuts inside and plays a hopeful ball into the area he last saw Stokes in.
Deek just doesn't have the pace or dare I say it the skill to play the role he is being asked to.
I think the team would be so much better with a natural left sided player who could commit the full back and hit the bye line.

I am a Deek fan and was delighted he came back but it just isn't working for him in his present position.

gillythehibby
10-02-2010, 11:37 PM

Spot on my good man. No need for anything negative. All good down the Holy ground at the moment. Deeks part of the team that yogi plays and in the manner he wants to play. Also, would get marked out the game more playing through the middle. Most probably a natural thing for deeks to veer to the left. Carry on Hibs !

Cabbage1875
10-02-2010, 11:43 PM
Agree that things are great for us at the moment, I do think it's fair comment to say that Deeks can (and should) do more for us. And I'm not talking about defending here.

The Harp Awakes
10-02-2010, 11:46 PM
Thought Deek had a poor first half tonight, no different from many of his team mates. 2nd half he played well and showed bags of effort, again no different from many of his team mates.

Why you're singling one player out for criticism is beyond me. We should be happy to have got smething out of the game tonight with a stirring 2nd half performance.

No need for negative posts like that.

Munson7
10-02-2010, 11:46 PM
Have to agree with OP, left midfield has been our weak point all season. Deek is waisted out there.
Did he get past the full back tonight ? Most of the time he cuts inside and plays a hopeful ball into the area he last saw Stokes in.
Deek just doesn't have the pace or dare I say it the skill to play the role he is being asked to.
I think the team would be so much better with a natural left sided player who could commit the full back and hit the bye line.

I am a Deek fan and was delighted he came back but it just isn't working for him in his present position.

I heard a certain O'Brien is available on a free....

:duck:

borstalboy
10-02-2010, 11:47 PM

First of all, I didnt say get him tae f***, but he could maybe do with a spell on the sidelines just like Yogi did with Hogg when he wasn't performing at his best!! Hogg came back better for it!

You think this is the first poor performance some guys have put in?!.....seen a few this season.

And so because he is a hibs supporter he should play every week??......Just seems he gets a free ride because he was one of our best players before and he is a Hibs fan born and bred!

Jonnyboy
10-02-2010, 11:48 PM
can't stay onside
can't stay on his feet
can't control the ball
Can't jump

Opinions eh :wink:

I agree with Hibee Girl on this one but ...... back on topic I thought Deeks worked hard enough tonight but I lost count of the number of times the ball was worked over to the left hand side of the park but then NOT played to Riordan but rather worked back through the centre again. If we don't give him the ball he cannae do much damage can he?

brydekirk
10-02-2010, 11:49 PM

had great game against the huns tonight.

GreenPJ
10-02-2010, 11:53 PM
Deffo answered his own question.

Deeks a match winner!

Just remind me the last time that was the case.

borstalboy
10-02-2010, 11:53 PM

He meant Alan :wink:

keep the faith
10-02-2010, 11:54 PM
Deeks looked dangerous evertime he had the ball. The problem is he is not getting it much playing wide left.

Everything is going down the right via spoony and Miller and you can see how frustrated Riordan is.

Personally I would like to see Deeks and Stokes as a front two with Benji sitting just behind playing through balls in. The game was crying out for that tonight and we went for a daft cavalry charge. Pumping long balls into a packed box with too many forwards playing in the same area.

Back to the original point - Derek doesnt need dropped, he just needs the ball more.

Munson7
10-02-2010, 11:56 PM

I'm talking about Swindon's one.. :wink:

davym7062
10-02-2010, 11:58 PM
can't stay onside
can't stay on his feet
can't control the ball
Can't jump

are your eyes painted on:bitchy:

patlowe
10-02-2010, 11:59 PM
Deeks looked dangerous evertime he had the ball. The problem is he is not getting it much playing wide left.

Everything is going down the right via spoony and Miller and you can see how frustrated Riordan is.

Personally I would like to see Deeks and Stokes as a front two with Benji sitting just behind playing through balls in. The game was crying out for that tonight and we went for a daft cavalry charge. Pumping long balls into a packed box with too many forwards playing in the same area.

Back to the original point - Derek doesnt need dropped, he just needs the ball more.

I wish Deek would want the ball enough to go and look for it. He doesn't have great movement or desire to get in good positions IMO. It's frustrating as he has so much natural talent on the ball.

In terms of everything going through Spoony, I am happy for this to happen. He's comfortable on the ball and extremely intelligent in the final third.

keep the faith
11-02-2010, 12:04 AM
I wish Deek would want the ball enough to go and look for it. He doesn't have great movement or desire to get in good positions IMO. It's frustrating as he has so much natural talent on the ball.

In terms of everything going through Spoony, I am happy for this to happen. He's comfortable on the ball and extremely intelligent in the final third.

Yes spoony is dangerous and intelligent. All im saying is you cant have everything going down the right then criticise Deeks on the left for not being involved enough.

Get him in the centre with Stokes.

Prof. Shaggy
11-02-2010, 12:08 AM
What's the point?
You've support Hibs since the ninteen sixties.
You watch an exciting game. You're willing Hibs to get back into the game, then to get the equaliser, then you're hoping there might just be a winner..
then you log onto hibs.net and you have to read garbage like this.

Love the Green
11-02-2010, 12:09 AM

Maybe in the 2nd half but in th 1st half EVERY attack broke down when he became involved..

"keep the faith":wink:

silverhibee
11-02-2010, 12:14 AM

I agree with Hibee Girl on this one but ...... back on topic I thought Deeks worked hard enough tonight but I lost count of the number of times the ball was worked over to the left hand side of the park but then NOT played to Riordan but rather worked back through the centre again. If we don't give him the ball he cannae do much damage can he?

Spot on Jonnyboy. :agree: :top marks

Hibernating (Im a stoopid yam tramp)
11-02-2010, 12:24 AM
Yogi got his tactics wrong in the first half leaving out Zouma, huge mistake! If he does that again at Ipox it's an easy hun win. I don't buy a midfield that includes McBride and Rankin, you play one or other.

Booked4Being-Ugly
11-02-2010, 12:27 AM

I agree with Hibee Girl on this one but ...... back on topic I thought Deeks worked hard enough tonight but I lost count of the number of times the ball was worked over to the left hand side of the park but then NOT played to Riordan but rather worked back through the centre again. If we don't give him the ball he cannae do much damage can he?Spot on, Riordan worked hard but got little or no service!

Jonnyboy
11-02-2010, 12:28 AM
What's the point?
You watch an exciting game. You're willing Hibs to get back into the game, then to get the equaliser, then you're hoping there might just be a winner..

Best post tonight :top marks

Ginger Gehagan
11-02-2010, 12:29 AM
Just remind me the last time that was the case.

He scored 2 and set up 2 a couple of weeks ago against Hamilton. I'd say that was a match winning contribution.

Hibbie_Cameron
11-02-2010, 12:33 AM
What's the point?

Best post tonight :top marks

Agreed

zosohibee
11-02-2010, 12:35 AM
Riordan is being played in the wrong ****ing place. give Gow his regular spot and put him up front with Stokes. Him n Stokes are good striking partnership. No one tries harder then dear Colin but hes pretty ***** game to game, get him as the sub to relieve the up front as Stokes is often subbed anyway. Its the oner thing Yogi's doin wrong.

Big90inOz
11-02-2010, 04:00 AM

:stirrer: :greengrin:

I should have specified the requirement to control a ball is a must.

Sandy
11-02-2010, 06:47 AM

Sums it all up for me (albeit from far away) :notworthy:

john18722
11-02-2010, 09:47 AM
I know that on here it appears to be wrong to criticise Deek as he is a Hibs fan etc etc. But IMHO he has been very poor for the last few weeks. He appears lazy, slow and unfit. There were a number of times last night when he has a chance to beat a man one on one and didn't take it. Which appeared to be through lack of pace or confidence to get passed the man.

Yes, he can score some great goals but why has been consistently in the team when playing so poorly. It's like he is guaranteed a game everyweek just because of his reputation.

Yes, he is out second top scorer but for me if Gow or Benji were given the opportunity in his position they would score a few goals too. I say it's time to give someone else a try on the left and get Deek on the bench for a while.

Discuss.

Barney McGrew
11-02-2010, 09:48 AM
can't stay onside
can't stay on his feet
Can't jump

He managed to do all three when he played the ball on to Stokes for our first goal :wink:

john18722
11-02-2010, 10:03 AM
For some people on here you just cannot criticise Riordan but people are fine criticising Nish, Rankin, Hogg etc who have been playing no worse than Deek. Can someone explain this to me?

H18sry
11-02-2010, 10:08 AM

Were you even at the game :confused: or has your faither hijacked your account:hmmm:

smurf
11-02-2010, 10:13 AM
Said it before time and time again Deeks is being played in the wrong position. Folk say "He's always played on the left..." And yes that's true but it wasn't on the left in this current deeper almost left midfield position. He's scored the HUGE amount of goals playing almost to the left of the hole...

Therefore because of this new position he's not scoring the goals because he's getting fewer chances. Is he missing many chances? No. And that's because he's in the wrong position getting few chances.

Last night i thought he worked really hard. Tracked back very well and put in some great challenges winning tackles.

However, i want to leave a Hibs game saying "Wow what a winner that was from Deeks!" not "Wow what workrate from Deeks".

If we want the former we need to play him in the right position and tbh if it's the latter i question the point in playing him.

Phil MaGlass
11-02-2010, 10:47 AM
MIBBE, just MIBBE, if Deeks was played as a forward, we would NOT be having the "he should be dropped" conversation.Its ridiculous were debating he should be dropped when he isnt being played in his natural position.He should be MOVED not dropped.

andudare2
11-02-2010, 10:50 AM
Because he is our second highest scorer this season and one of the best in Scotland. However we would get more out of him as the left sided striker in a 2 striker line up, rather than a winger. Just like the old days with GOC.
i wonder why hughes has never thought of this?

erskine-hibby
11-02-2010, 10:58 AM

Said it before time and time again Deeks is being played in the wrong position. Folk say "He's always played on the left..." And yes that's true but it wasn't on the left in this current deeper almost left midfield position. He's scored the HUGE amount of goals playing almost to the left of the hole...

Therefore because of this new position he's not scoring the goals because he's getting fewer chances. Is he missing many chances? No. And that's because he's in the wrong position getting few chances.

Last night i thought he worked really hard. Tracked back very well and put in some great challenges winning tackles.

However, i want to leave a Hibs game saying "Wow what a winner that was from Deeks!" not "Wow what workrate from Deeks".

If we want the former we need to play him in the right position and tbh if it's the latter i question the point in playing him.

I agree with both.
There is no point in putting him way out on the left, he does not have the skills to be an out and out winger. He does most of his damage from a more inside left position, cutting in and scoring great goals. To "up his work rate" he would have to drift further and further away from the position he has been told to play...then there would be the moans about him "being out of position":rolleyes:
He cannae win.

RIP
11-02-2010, 11:08 AM
Most fans would agree that Derek has had ample opportunity to get fit since he rejoined us last year. When he does run he lopes for short bursts rather than sprints. For a slim lad he actually seems a bit slow to go past his man.

Stokes, Miller, Rankin and Nish have all improved their fitness under Yogi. Deeks is still blowing oot his erchie by half time

Yogi won't tolerate this much longer nor his sickness record - missing training with bugs a few times last year. I can't help wondering if Gow has been brought in to challenge for Deek's position.

Remember when Yogi said "A fans favourite might end up leaving but the fans will just have to trust me"

We all know Hibs need a high-performing, superfit Derek Riordan that plays for the team. That would be our ambition for him

Is this Derek's ambition though?

borstalboy
11-02-2010, 11:50 AM
Were you even at the game :confused: or has your faither hijacked your account:hmmm:

I was at the game......managed to get a freebie from Sarah's Step Dad :thumbsup: Famous Five Upper!!! :greengrin

ahibby
11-02-2010, 11:57 AM
Like all of the team DR worked hard to help us not concede a third; that was clear to see in the second half. The only criticism I would have is that when he got the ball he wanted to slow the game down. I criticise that without really knowing whether it was a good thing or a bad thing, but I know that I preferred to watch Zemama on the ball than DR as Zemama went for it fast and furious whenever he got possession; I think that creates a bit of an impetus which we lacked in the first half. DR carries a huge goal threat; more than most in the team.

Bad Martini
11-02-2010, 12:29 PM
LTYF :agree:

ENDOF

Dinkydoo
11-02-2010, 12:38 PM

Here here :top marks

Infact I'd go one further to say that we had a bad 45mins and played some decent stuff in the 2nd half - if it wasn't for blocks flying in all over the place fae the Dons the scoreline could have been 3-2 in our favour.

However, all in all, I think a draw was probably fairest.

Dundee United lost last night so that puts us 4 points ahead of them and a game in hand :thumbsup:

I'd like to reiterate that Deeks has been played on the left and isn't used to his full potential IMO. He hasn't done that much to impress lately but remember the age old saying "Form is temporary; class is permanent", that coupled with the fact that he's not in his most effective position needs to be taken into account when people come out with crap like "How does he even get a game".

What about Hogg with his long ball tactic? His distribution from defence to midfield/striker has been pish all season - yet no a great deal of criticism.

Bamba, some games I wonder if he actually wants to get himself sent off - was quite a lucky boy last night too IMO. Booked and then minutes later he's chancing his luck again.

These things annoy me although I don't have the urge to ask why they get a game. I know they are good enough (and we have nobody better for that position).

Maybe if we only played one luxary player at a time then people won't feel the constant need to berate a player that lets face it is held as a legend by many of us.......:rolleyes:

Rant over:blah:

aussie_hibee
11-02-2010, 12:58 PM
I know that on here it appears to be wrong to criticise Deek as he is a Hibs fan etc etc. But IMHO he has been very poor for the last few weeks. He appears lazy, slow and unfit. There were a number of times last night when he has a chance to beat a man one on one and didn't take it. Which appeared to be through lack of pace or confidence to get passed the man.
This is not a comparison of deeks and beckham but when did you ever see david beckham take on a man? On of the best wide players in recent history and never went past a man. If deeks had pace to go past full backs, he'd be lighting up the premier league.

Yes, he can score some great goals but why has been consistently in the team when playing so poorly. It's like he is guaranteed a game everyweek just because of his reputation.

I think he's been playing because he's been our best option out there. Who else would you have play there? Stevenson, rankin? No thanks.
Now that Gow is here, he is defo an option. I would love to see Deeks get a free role allowing him to drift in to space, pick up the ball and either shoot or play the diagonal he does so well.

Yes, he is out second top scorer but for me if Gow or Benji were given the opportunity in his position they would score a few goals too. I say it's time to give someone else a try on the left and get Deek on the bench for a while.

Benji at left mid? You are joking, our left back would be exposed something chronic. Benji has the worst work rate in the team by far (Cracking player on his day but not a work horse). Not something that lends itself to playing left midfield.

Discuss.

TonyStokeprano
11-02-2010, 01:01 PM
Probably because he's our second top scorer and has a good few assists this season. Can score free kicks Long range efforts when we might not be on top of a game. suppose it was his fault we drew last night. he should have been on the line to clear the two aberdeen goals. Although it was his long ball from THE LEFT BACK AREA which helped us get our first goal At one point in the first half he won a tackle on the edge of our box and played it into midfield starting a break, the guy behinds me starts moaning saying that he shood be on the edge of the aberdeen box 5 seconds after he won he tackle.I suppose a hatrick every game is the minimum requirement now that were doing well.

Wembley67
11-02-2010, 01:05 PM
So if Riordan is as bad as people have been making out recently then surely it's the managers fault for picking him. Does that make Yogi a bad manager?

Surely you trust the person that is managing the team and has done a sterling job so far or will we start a Yogi needs to make more effort etc :yawn:

Owain_1987
11-02-2010, 01:11 PM
ALL I HAVE TO SAY IS THIS :yawn::yawn::yawn:

Hiber-nation
11-02-2010, 01:20 PM
Riordan could and should be doing far far more than he is at the moment.

blackpoolhibs
11-02-2010, 01:48 PM
Deek is a bit of an enigma, against the weaker sides in this league, he can get away with playing wide left, as his ability can score goals against those type of teams from that position. Against the better teams, imho he's wasted out there. All this he worked hard today bull**** annoys me. He's working hard doing all this tracking back, and thats taking away his strength, plus taking him away from the very place he needs to be to score.

He does not have pace to get past a right back, he does not have a trick, what he does have is the ability to score goals, but he wont score that many from 10 yards in the oppositions half, as thats where he gets the ball most now.

If we are to play Riordan, he needs to be playing a little further up, and should not be making tackles on the edge of his own box. Again if he is to play, the team needs to be set up differently. We are not seeing the best of him, yes he has scored a few, but again yesterday, we saw just how ineffective he is against a team that defend better, and attack against us with a bit of pace.

PS the pitch does not help him either.:grr:

ancient hibee
11-02-2010, 04:36 PM
Probably because he's our second top scorer and has a good few assists this season. Can score free kicks Long range efforts when we might not be on top of a game. suppose it was his fault we drew last night. he should have been on the line to clear the two aberdeen goals. Although it was his long ball from THE LEFT BACK AREA which helped us get our first goal At one point in the first half he won a tackle on the edge of our box and played it into midfield starting a break, the guy behinds me starts moaning saying that he shood be on the edge of the aberdeen box 5 seconds after he won he tackle.I suppose a hatrick every game is the minimum requirement now that were doing well.
After reading loads of tosh about Riordan being unfit and not working hard enough we finally get a sensible post pointing out that it was him in the left back position who cleared up an attack and then played a good ball forward to Nish to flick on.No doubt some of the posters saying he doesn't put in a shift will be on complaining that he shouldn't be so far back!His biggest fault last night was in not insisting on taking the free kick that Stokes wasted hitting it straight at the wall.
The reason for the poor first half display was becauseMcBride and Miller footered around at the half way line allowing Aberdeen to fall back in numbers before the ball was played forward.Once Hughes rocketed them at half time the ball was played forward non stop and they were in constant difficulty.If the chances that fell to Bamba had landed with a striker we would have won comfortably.(Even with a dreadful pitch).

jgl07
11-02-2010, 06:03 PM

Because he along with John Rankin is the number one fall guy for those who know damn all about football.

Hibs first goal followed a head flick by Nish to Stokes.

TonyStokeprano
11-02-2010, 06:12 PM
Because he along with John Rankin is the number one fall guy for those who know damn all about football.

Riordan to Nish to Stokes.:wink:

Big Frank
11-02-2010, 06:46 PM
You'll need one of these :tin hat:

When you criticise Riordan a lot of posters here get their knickers in a twist and take it more to heart than Riordan's own mum would.

You'll cause a few tears:greengrin

You should look again at the Hibs V Aberdeen thread. 1st half. You'll no' half see posters getting their knickers in a twist.:wink:

Broken Gnome
11-02-2010, 07:03 PM

You've got to understand though that the reason that people don't rate Nish won't change he because he won a few flick-ons. They'll point to the first half where he couldn't put a thing right in terms of his first touch or finding a Hibs man.

If he's an easy target, then it's for a reason. It's the not uncommon rather hapless nature of some of his performances that grates.

blackpoolhibs
11-02-2010, 07:10 PM
You've got to understand though that the reason that people don't rate Nish won't change he because he won a few flick-ons. They'll point to the first half where he couldn't put a thing right in terms of his first touch or finding a Hibs man.

If he's an easy target, then it's for a reason. It's the not uncommon rather hapless nature of some of his performances that grates.

I dont understand how nish is an easy target, i hear this about a few player? I have never rated him, but thought he did very well last night. I thought Riordan was a waste of space and time, but i do rate him. If i am saying this, does that make Riordan an easy target? Or does it just mean i have an opinion on how someone played?:confused:

Broken Gnome
11-02-2010, 07:20 PM
I dont understand how nish is an easy target, i hear this about a few player? I have never rated him, but thought he did very well last night. I thought Riordan was a waste of space and time, but i do rate him. If i am saying this, does that make Riordan an easy target? Or does it just mean i have an opinion on how someone played?:confused:

Course you can :greengrin All I'm saying is that it's not a rare occurence that Colin Nish goes through a half of a game barely looking like a football player. Falling over and stumbling about the place tends to be more noticable thatn Riordan doing nothing.

For what it's worth, when Nish DOES have an influence in a game he's well worth the awkward moments. To win fully win supporters over, these awkward moments just need to become a bit less frequent...

blackpoolhibs
11-02-2010, 07:31 PM
Course you can :greengrin All I'm saying is that it's not a rare occurence that Colin Nish goes through a half of a game barely looking like a football player. Falling over and stumbling about the place tends to be more noticable thatn Riordan doing nothing.

For what it's worth, when Nish DOES have an influence in a game he's well worth the awkward moments. To win fully win supporters over, these awkward moments just need to become a bit less frequent...

In my opinion Nish needs to have games like last night A LOT MORE. He will know more than anyone his place is under threat. Perhaps thats the kick in the arse he needs?

H18sry
11-02-2010, 09:57 PM
I was at the game......managed to get a freebie from Sarah's Step Dad :thumbsup: Famous Five Upper!!! :greengrin

Now how does that not suprise me :devil:

clerriehibs
11-02-2010, 10:16 PM
Stokes; great poacher.
Riordanl famtastic finisher.

Riordan would have been on the score-sheet last night, if Stokes hadn't been such an idiot and insisted on taking a free kick on the edge of the box. He wellied it into the wall, as expected; Riordan would have placed ir into the postage stamp.

Someone on the pitch has to stop wannabe glory boys preventing the highy skilled finisher that is Riordan doing his job.

Riordan doesn't do enough? He flaming well would if the team, including the poachers, worked as a team.

blackpoolhibs
11-02-2010, 10:21 PM
Stokes; great poacher.
Riordanl famtastic finisher.

Riordan would have been on the score-sheet last night, if Stokes hadn't been such an idiot and insisted on taking a free kick on the edge of the box. He wellied it into the wall, as expected; Riordan would have placed ir into the postage stamp.

Someone on the pitch has to stop wannabe glory boys preventing the highy skilled finisher that is Riordan doing his job.

Riordan doesn't do enough? He flaming well would if the team, including the poachers, worked as a team.

While i don't agree he would have scored, he might have, but i'm sure he would have made a better effort than stokes did. He is the best dead ball taker we have, especially free kicks around the box. And Yogi should be telling the team, that if Riordan is on the pitch, he takes these type of free kicks, and the same things apply to Benji regarding penalty's.

Ed De Gramo
11-02-2010, 10:26 PM
are your eyes painted on:bitchy:

Was wondering that as well...

jabis
11-02-2010, 10:32 PM
"How does Riordan get a game !?!"

'cos he's the dogs bollocks !

thread closed.