PDA

View Full Version : Bamba - not very commanding

Ants
10-02-2010, 10:24 PM
Thought he was pretty poor tonight.

He has got his Ivory Coast heid on again, being slow and not very commanding or assertive.

Even coming forward, there were several collisions with his own players.... no communication.

Wotherspiniesta
10-02-2010, 10:26 PM

He has got his Ivory Coast heid on again, being slow and not very commanding or assertive.

Even coming forward, there were several collisions with his own players.... no communication.

Bamba was back on form tonight and barely put a foot wrong.

On another night he would even have had a couple of goals.

hibee_girl
10-02-2010, 10:27 PM
:agree: wasn't really impressed with him tonight, he was just charging about the field playing his own wee game and like you said not communicating with any of his team mates.

7Hero
10-02-2010, 10:28 PM
mate there are a load of folk on this board who would praise the guy regardless, didn't think he had a good game tonight myself..

Bayern Bru
10-02-2010, 10:30 PM
Looks a little at fault for their first...watching on Alba, it seems like he's caught napping and if he'd been quicker, could've closed down Paton...

steakbake
10-02-2010, 10:32 PM
Thought he had a few too many rushes of blood to the head. At one point, I thought he was about to get sent off.

Ants
10-02-2010, 10:36 PM

I would hate to see him on a bad day then.

borstalboy
10-02-2010, 10:38 PM
IMHO i think Bamba thinks of himself as the best player on our team! He always wants to do things himself! dont think he's a team player! he's got to realise his place!

I think he upsets the balance of the team. Im not saying for one second Hanlon would be better, I just think Bamba's in it for himself!!!

Good point after a shocking first though!!

down-the-slope
10-02-2010, 10:41 PM
He was average overall - he needs to learn its a team game and not all about him.

I nthough he was partly at fault at goal. Also when he lost possesion going forward he blamed everyone around him

Wotherspiniesta
10-02-2010, 10:44 PM
I would hate to see him on a bad day then.

I'm not saying it was his best game.

Maclean was a handful, but he more than held his own against him.

He certainly wasn't poor IMO and he tried to come forward.........

..........His shot into row k was VERY assertive. :agree:

Nakedmanoncrack
10-02-2010, 10:45 PM

I'd agree, looked like an accident waiting to happen.

Greenblood70
10-02-2010, 10:58 PM
I thought Bamba had one of his poorer games tonight tbh, was just waiting for him to get himself sent off as he was careering about all over the place.

I'd be happy enough if Hanlon came back in.

Malthibby
10-02-2010, 11:02 PM
Not his best game, & the shot was frankly hilarious, but I'm glad we have him. Should have put away the chance just before halftime, though, instead of skying it over the bar.
GG.

Part/Time Supporter
10-02-2010, 11:03 PM
Didn't help that the plank Thomson booked him for just about his only foul.

Speedy
10-02-2010, 11:07 PM

Passing was poor, didn't communicate, moaned at his own players and seemed to have an attitude problem. Apart from that he wasn't bad.

bigstu
10-02-2010, 11:11 PM
wasnt his best game but he's been cracking player for us since he signed

Wotherspiniesta
10-02-2010, 11:15 PM
Passing was poor, didn't communicate, moaned at his own players and seemed to have an attitude problem. Apart from that he wasn't bad.

Moaning at players and lack of communication doesn't mean he was making mistakes. I can't remember any costly decisions by him tonight. Also, his tackle in the first half was awesome. :greengrin

Speedy
10-02-2010, 11:22 PM
Moaning at players and lack of communication doesn't mean he was making mistakes. I can't remember any costly decisions by him tonight. Also, his tackle in the first half was awesome. :greengrin

Agreed with the part in bold but I think his communication is a problem. Him and Nish got in each other's road at one point, could have been a goal. Him and Miller(might have been someone else?) went for the same ball and lost it, could have opened up for Aberdeen.

The african nations seems to have gone to his head.

patlowe
10-02-2010, 11:24 PM
Bamba is an absolute machine. He's capable of the odd mistake here or there but the majority of the time he makes up for it with his sheer athleticism. Bargain signing and the best bit thing Mixu did as manager. I've seen him play better than tonight but by no means was he bad.

hibee_girl
10-02-2010, 11:29 PM
Agreed with the part in bold and but I think his communication is a problem. Him and Nish got in each other's road at one point, could have been a goal. Him and Miller(might have been someone else?) went for the same ball and lost it, could have opened up for Aberdeen.

It was Rankin, he had his eyes on the ball the whole way and then was clattered by Bamba

oldbutdim
10-02-2010, 11:32 PM
A black Rob Jones tonight.

All over the place and causing mayhem - mainly with his own team.

He tried too hard to be "the matchwinner" and just marauded but without any real purpose or direction.

One to forget for Sol.

NORTHERNHIBBY
10-02-2010, 11:43 PM
Chalk this one down to a bad day at the office. Could well have been sent off.

monktonharp
10-02-2010, 11:57 PM
Bamba is an absolute machine. He's capable of the odd mistake here or there but the majority of the time he makes up for it with his sheer athleticism. Bargain signing and the best bit thing Mixu did as manager. I've seen him play better than tonight but by no means was he bad.he had a shocker! he clattered into Rankin,when it was not his ball and had a hospital pass to Hogg,which ended up with the captain being injured trying to retrieve the situation. overall ,a terrible 90 mins. from him tonight.

Danderhall Hibs
10-02-2010, 11:59 PM
Agreed with the part in bold and but I think his communication is a problem. Him and Nish got in each other's road at one point, could have been a goal. Him and Miller(might have been someone else?) went for the same ball and lost it, could have opened up for Aberdeen.

So do I. I text my mate the same thing during the match - I reckon there were at least 2 times if not 3 when he should've gave a shout and didn't.

patlowe
11-02-2010, 12:03 AM
he had a shocker! he clattered into Rankin,when it was not his ball and had a hospital pass to Hogg,which ended up with the captain being injured trying to retrieve the situation. overall ,a terrible 90 mins. from him tonight.

Yep, those things did occur but I can also think of plenty good things he did. As I said, he is going to make mistakes and he wasn't at his best tonight, I'm just delighted we have him and stand to make a huge profit when bigger clubs see his potential.

Brummie_Hibs
11-02-2010, 12:09 AM
Just watched the game on Alba (I have avoided the score all night!) and I have to say I thought Bamba was terrible. I thought he was at fault for both goals by not being closer to his man, and there were a couple of other chances where Aberdeen could have scored because of his poor defending.

He missed a sitter and I after his booking (for phannying about with the ball) I was expecting him to be sent off soon afterwards. I was petrified every time a ball was being punted into the box because I had no confidence in him.

I've yet to be sold on Bamba, but then again I only see him when he is on TV and so far each of those times I've wondered why he gets such praise on here...but I guess you lot see more of him than I do and are better to judges. :agree:

Booked4Being-Ugly
11-02-2010, 12:12 AM
Bamba was honking and was at fault for both goals. He stormed about the place like a man posessed. He needs to calm down and get a bit of composure back!

bigstu
11-02-2010, 12:16 AM
Just watched the game on Alba (I have avoided the score all night!) and I have to say I thought Bamba was terrible. I thought he was at fault for both goals by not being closer to his man, and there were a couple of other chances where Aberdeen could have scored because of his poor defending.

He missed a sitter and I after his booking (for phannying about with the ball) I was expecting him to be sent off soon afterwards. I was petrified every time a ball was being punted into the box because I had no confidence in him.

I've yet to be sold on Bamba, but then again I only see him when he is on TV and so far each of those times I've wondered why he gets such praise on here...but I guess you lot see more of him than I do and are better to judges. :agree:

indeed, he's been a top player for us. earlier in the season when he was on song he was the reason we were keeping so many clean sheets, much better player than hogg

Leithenhibby
11-02-2010, 12:26 AM
Bull in a china shop. Never wanted him back in the team after his return from Africa.

He always seems to have his own wee agenda on the park, unfortunately the other players don't know what he will do next. Just my opinion...:cool2:

ScottB
11-02-2010, 01:11 AM
I think he's upset the balance of our team with him being brought straight back in despite Hanlon not putting a foot wrong. Certainly not a stellar return for him; an own goal, a few cock ups and missing a sitter!

Saorsa
11-02-2010, 01:17 AM

On another night he would even have had a couple of goals.You werenae watching the same game as me then, I thought he was terrible.

Littlest Hobo
11-02-2010, 01:18 AM
Not his best performance in a Hibs shirt but he still won a good few challenges. His decision making and passing could have been better though it has to be said.

Dunbar Hibee
11-02-2010, 01:24 AM
Thought he was awful, poorest game i've seen out the big man.

borders.cabbage
11-02-2010, 01:26 AM
Yogi seems determined to accomodate him (shop window, WC :dunno: ). His mind is on the WC and a big move. IMHO, Hanlon, when given the chance has looked just as effective.

Allant1981
11-02-2010, 01:55 AM
Only seen the highlights but he didnt look to hot for both the goals, maybe a wee seat on the bench might give him a kick up the backside, Hanlon played well at celtic park and should never have been dropped in the first place

zlatan
11-02-2010, 02:05 AM
Dearest me, a couple of shakey performances and he should be out the team?

The reason he's thrown straight back in the team is because he's one of our best players, he seemed to be trying to hard at times to get us back into the game tonight. Hardly a droppable offence.

Allant1981
11-02-2010, 02:08 AM
Dearest me, a couple of shakey performances and he should be out the team?

The reason he's thrown straight back in the team is because he's one of our best players, he seemed to be trying to hard at times to get us back into the game tonight. Hardly a droppable offence.

When hogg had a couple of shaky games he was dropped so why not bamba? Hanlon came in against arguably the best team in the country and did not look out of place, bamba has came back from the African Cup and not looked half the player he was before he went away

Calvin
11-02-2010, 02:59 AM
He had one ball out to Riordan on the left wing that was almost world class, but a mixed bag apart from that.

He'll definitely be back on form soon - remember it's only his second game back after more than a month out.

Part/Time Supporter
11-02-2010, 07:57 AM
I would say Murray and Wotherspoon were far more at fault for the Sheep goals. Bamba was partly at fault for the first goal, but the biggest problem was that Murray was beaten easily and the ball was headed down into a very dangerous area. Why Bamba was at fault in any way for the second goal is a mystery to me, it was a mis-hit shot which just happened to land perfectly on the forward's head. How on earth is Bamba supposed to read that???

Rankin and Nish must have had decent games, does everyone need to find a new scapegoat?

:cool2:

re Hanlon, it was only a couple of games ago (Irvine Meadow) that he was getting crucified by the crowd.

:dizzy:

Oscar Lomax
11-02-2010, 07:58 AM
From day one, I have never been keen on Bamba. My heart is in my mouth every time he tries to beat men in dangerous areas.

Fair enough, Ive seen him having a few very good games but, the praise he recieves on here and the god like status he commands is way over the top.

For me, he charges about like a bull in a china shop and this really shows why we need a commanding centre half in place sooner rather than later.

LancsHibs
11-02-2010, 08:03 AM
Couple of 'shaky moments' but over the 90 thought the big man had a good game. I would deffo have him in the team on Sunday, He is a quality CH :agree:

Part/Time Supporter
11-02-2010, 08:05 AM
Just a random thought, but is some of the criticism not more to do with some of his "erratic" efforts when he came forward for set plays / had that one ridiculous shot from about 35 yards?

Oscar Lomax
11-02-2010, 08:47 AM
Couple of 'shaky moments' but over the 90 thought the big man had a good game. I would deffo have him in the team on Sunday, He is a quality CH :agree:

No he is not a quality centre half. He has some sort of cult status with the fans but he cant seem to clear his lines. He get beaten in the air far to often at set pieces and gets caught napping leading to opposition goals.
Football is all about opinions which makes it such a great game. In my opinion we should have hunted high and low in January to get a decent centre half. I prefered Hogg and Hanlon, who were superb at Parkhead. It was an injustice when Hanlon was dropped.

steakbake
11-02-2010, 08:52 AM
Just a random thought, but is some of the criticism not more to do with some of his "erratic" efforts when he came forward for set plays / had that one ridiculous shot from about 35 yards?

All told, I think erratic is a good word to sum it up.

In shades, he was good. In other moments, he was all over the place - I can't remember exactly who it was, but towards the end of the match it looked like he malkied one of the Aberdeen players when he was already on a yellow, and I thought he was going to get sent off. Perhaps against one of the OF he would have been, who knows? The mad shot from 35 yards was laughable, but one thing you can say about him is that he gives his all when he's playing.

Phil MaGlass
11-02-2010, 10:58 AM
Mibbe miffed that his move to Liverpool never went through during the window:greengrin

HIBEETILLIDIE
11-02-2010, 11:03 AM
Was not a team player last night and could have ended up costing us the game. i still don't think he is in the right frame of mind to playing after the african nations.
He could cost us dearly on Sunday-remember his last display againste der hun at Christmas-he was pretty poor then, i would rather revert to Hanlon & Hogg on Sunday-Hoggy in particular looks a lot more comfortable beside Hanlon rather than Bamba.

i think Bamba could do more damage to them in a midfield role and less damage to us.

just an opinion though.

Wotherspiniesta
11-02-2010, 07:00 PM
No he is not a quality centre half. He has some sort of cult status with the fans but he cant seem to clear his lines. He get beaten in the air far to often at set pieces and gets caught napping leading to opposition goals.
Football is all about opinions which makes it such a great game. In my opinion we should have hunted high and low in January to get a decent centre half. I prefered Hogg and Hanlon, who were superb at Parkhead. It was an injustice when Hanlon was dropped.

Zaliukas or Bamba? Emmm...

Having watched the game back on TV, maybe he made a few more mistakes than I thought at the time. But one bad game won't change my mind about him. He IS quality centre half IMO and has been an outstanding signing for us and has adjusted to centre half brilliantly this season.

Hogg and Hanlon did play well together and Hanlon especially was terrific at Parkhead :agree: He will get his chance though, he is only 20 afterall.

Bamba may not be everybody's cup of tea but his determination to win is never in question.

blackpoolhibs
11-02-2010, 07:05 PM
From day one, I have never been keen on Bamba. My heart is in my mouth every time he tries to beat men in dangerous areas.

Fair enough, Ive seen him having a few very good games but, the praise he recieves on here and the god like status he commands is way over the top.

For me, he charges about like a bull in a china shop and this really shows why we need a commanding centre half in place sooner rather than later.

I think he's the most commanding centre half we have had since i started watching hibs in the late 60s. Who would you have in front of him from the SPL?

fife hfc
11-02-2010, 07:29 PM
I Cannae believe some of the criticism bamba is getting on here. may not have been his best game but he had a will to win that helped drag us back into it. As the game wore on we struggled at the back due to the fact we played with so many up front but all the defenders done well to prevent the sheep from scoring.

he was not at fault at second goal as it was a bit of a freak goal and if he is available for selection he should always be playing as is our best defender.

blackpoolhibs
11-02-2010, 07:36 PM
I Cannae believe some of the criticism bamba is getting on here. may not have been his best game but he had a will to win that helped drag us back into it. As the game wore on we struggled at the back due to the fact we played with so many up front but all the defenders done well to prevent the sheep from scoring.

he was not at fault at second goal as it was a bit of a freak goal and if he is available for selection he should always be playing as is our best defender.

Spot on. He drives the team forward from the back. He's strong as an ox, and faster than any forward. We had 3 at the back for most of the 2nd half, and he kept everything tight, as well as getting forward at every opportunity. We will miss him when he leaves.

JimBHibees
11-02-2010, 07:56 PM
Wasnt his best game however he wasnt hiding and was unlucky not to score. He is one of our best players no doubt and we will need him at Greyskull on Sunday that is for sure. Give the guy a break.

Pedantic_Hibee
11-02-2010, 08:00 PM
I would gladly have Sol Bamba's children if it were biologically possible.

Allant1981
11-02-2010, 08:01 PM
I think he's the most commanding centre half we have had since i started watching hibs in the late 60s. Who would you have in front of him from the SPL?

Webster, Concalves, Bougherra(sp), O'dea, still think he is a cracking player but maybe should have been rested after coming back from africa

blackpoolhibs
11-02-2010, 08:09 PM
Webster, Concalves, Bougherra(sp), O'dea, still think he is a cracking player but maybe should have been rested after coming back from africa

Not for me, Bamba is better than all those imho. And only the hun will reach anywhere near the fee we get for Sol.

Oscar Lomax
11-02-2010, 08:32 PM
Not for me, Bamba is better than all those imho. And only the hun will reach anywhere near the fee we get for Sol.

The fee wee get for Sol ? Ha....well ill tell you this, if Hibs get anything over 1 million for him I would take there hands off. I would rather have Webster than him, Id rather have Hanlon than him. As ive said before, we cant all like the same players.

blackpoolhibs
11-02-2010, 08:37 PM
The fee wee get for Sol ? Ha....well ill tell you this, if Hibs get anything over 1 million for him I would take there hands off. I would rather have Webster than him, Id rather have Hanlon than him. As ive said before, we cant all like the same players.

I'm glad petrie is in charge, and not you.

Oscar Lomax
11-02-2010, 08:38 PM
I'm glad petrie is in charge, and not you.

How much do you think he is worth?

blackpoolhibs
11-02-2010, 08:41 PM
How much do you think he is worth?

I think we will get £2.5m upwards easily, and if there is a bidding war, we could get a lot more.

Baldy Foghorn
11-02-2010, 08:44 PM
I think we will get £2.5m upwards easily, and if there is a bidding war, we could get a lot more.

Tend to agree, I was thinking £3m plus, the big man is a rock at times, really strong, totally committed....

The ANC will have shown his talents off around the World, with more potential buyers watching.......

Oscar Lomax
11-02-2010, 08:44 PM
The more the merrier mate but, he aint for me. He never seems to have to ball under control for a start. Maybe he would be better in a more forward roll, who knows......

blackpoolhibs
11-02-2010, 08:47 PM
The more the merrier mate but, he aint for me. He never seems to have to ball under control for a start. Maybe he would be better in a more forward roll, who knows......

Come on admit it, you have never seen him play?:confused:

Allant1981
11-02-2010, 08:52 PM
Tend to agree, I was thinking £3m plus, the big man is a rock at times, really strong, totally committed....

The ANC will have shown his talents off around the World, with more potential buyers watching.......

Cant see us getting anywhere near £3m for him, i reckon if anyone does come in for him in the summer it will be about half that with maybe some add ons for games etc. Which is still a good return.

Oscar Lomax
11-02-2010, 08:53 PM
Oh I have seen him play alright.....watched him many a time for Dunfermline. Fair enough, he was rough and ready and has improved slightly but, their tag off 'Bombscare Bamba' has stuck with me for some reason !

blackpoolhibs
11-02-2010, 08:54 PM
Oh I have seen him play alright.....watched him many a time for Dunfermline. Fair enough, he was rough and ready and has improved slightly but, their tag off 'Bombscare Bamba' has stuck with me for some reason !

Sight problems?

Baldy Foghorn
11-02-2010, 08:55 PM

He has improved beyond belief from his days at East End Park.......

I still find it difficult to think it is the same player, has been a total revelation for Hibs..........

Wotherspiniesta
11-02-2010, 08:57 PM

I get it now.....you are Alan Preston!

Oscar Lomax
11-02-2010, 08:59 PM
OK I think ill bow out off this discusion. Opinions are opinions. Im quietly confident ill be proved correct.

fife hfc
13-02-2010, 05:18 PM
Watched the whole game again this morning and can't agree with the people on here who say he was poor. he had one or two mistakes but was on the whole solid and was positive in getting us pushed forward in the second half.

I would say he was no more culpable for the first goal than Murray, who lost out at the free kick in the air. As for the second goal it was a fluke (well taken but) and nobody was really to blame for that.

I believe we could get £3 million for him as he has been a massive player for us this season and those who claim he should be replaced must be on methadone as the jambos claim we are.

Hibernian Verse
13-02-2010, 05:23 PM
Going by the Celtic game I'd definately have Hanlon in for Bamba on Sunday.

blackpoolhibs
13-02-2010, 05:33 PM
Going by the Celtic game I'd definately have Hanlon in for Bamba on Sunday.

Going by how well the defence has done all season, i'd play Bamba every time.

Mibbes Aye
13-02-2010, 05:42 PM
I like Bamba and Hanlon. Both are cracking players and both have a lot more in them IMO. Likely that their full potential will eventually be realised elsewhere sadly.

As things stand Bamba is a more-developed player than Hanlon and to suggest he shouldn't start for Hibs, if available, is nonsensical in my view.

euro Hibby
13-02-2010, 09:35 PM
not long ago Hanlon was getting it tight on the board and then one great game at Parkhead and he should be in a head of Bamba. ! Hibs defensive record is good this year, they have the most minutes and will play.

euro Hibby
13-02-2010, 09:37 PM
Hogg & Bamba to play .........sorry for the English !

jabis
13-02-2010, 09:50 PM
OK I think ill bow out off this discusion. Opinions are opinions. Im quietly confident ill be proved correct.

Maybe,if you took off those glasses in your avatar,you would see the game,or at least get your guide dog a football education !