PDA

View Full Version : Benji

hibsbollah
10-02-2010, 10:13 PM
Benji comes off the bench to score headed winner first game of the season 2-1 vs St Mirren in August.
Benji wins late penalty and converts it for 1-0 win vs Kilmarnock in September.
Benji scores late penalty rescues a 2-2 draw with Aberdeen in February.

Hardly had any time on the pitch this season but keeps making the difference.

2009-2010 Supersub:top marks

bob12345
10-02-2010, 10:15 PM
Montrose too

KerPlunk
10-02-2010, 10:17 PM
Abdesallam Benjelloun = David Fairclough in Arabic :devil:

Scooter
10-02-2010, 10:17 PM
His ball for stokes was superb

Big Frank
10-02-2010, 10:20 PM
Always felt he was a talent. If he would just apply himself:rolleyes:

Keep up the good work Benji:agree:

brythehibby
10-02-2010, 10:21 PM
Benji comes off the bench to score headed winner first game of the season 2-1 vs St Mirren in August.
Benji wins late penalty and converts it for 1-0 win vs Kilmarnock in September.
Benji scores late penalty rescues a 2-2 draw with Aberdeen in February.

Hardly had any time on the pitch this season but keeps making the difference.

2009-2010 Supersub:top marks

If he's patient his time will come. Played a big part for us today and has won us points we might have lost in games. Well done benji.

PC Stamp
10-02-2010, 10:25 PM
Tell you what ... if there's a laddie you want to take a pressure penalty at any time, Benji's that laddie! Never in any doubt he'd score. :thumbsup:

Cropley10
10-02-2010, 10:25 PM
Get rid of him some said, doesn't work hard enough, poor attitude, treated Hibs badly, thinks he's better than he is.

Well done Benji. Again.:greengrin

--------
10-02-2010, 10:26 PM
Get rid of him some said, doesn't work hard enough, poor attitude, treated Hibs badly, thinks he's better than he is.

Coming into form at just the right time, maybe? :cool2:

Cool_Hand_Luke
10-02-2010, 10:39 PM
Would love to see him given a new contract :agree:

borstalboy
10-02-2010, 10:48 PM
Benji should get his chance! Especially after several good impact performances coming off the bench recently.

Alex Trager
10-02-2010, 10:51 PM
Benji plays best when he comes on as a sub, i've said this from the start and will always say so

MrRobot
10-02-2010, 10:53 PM
Surely Riordan needs to get dropped and let this lad have his chance.

steakbake
10-02-2010, 10:54 PM

Aye right! Drop our second top scorer? Thank god you're not the manager. :bitchy:

hibee_girl

Just because he scored a penalty?

shamo9

Can Benji play on the left? I think Yogi likes the shape we have so I doubt he'll change it dramatically. Riordan also tracks back more than Benji - can't believe I just said that but it's true.

Malthibby
10-02-2010, 10:59 PM
Hughes has got Benji performing & that will do nicely. He is also an excellent penalty taker, just looks so relaxed.
GG

Jonnyboy
11-02-2010, 12:37 AM
I stand to be corrected but I think that it is still the case that whenever Benji has scored we have not lost

shamo9
11-02-2010, 12:43 AM
I stand to be corrected but I think that it is still the case that whenever Benji has scored we have not lost

:agree:

He's added 4 to his account this season.

Winner against St Mirren.
Winner against Killie.
4th against Montrose.
Equaliser yesterday.

Hibbie_Cameron
11-02-2010, 12:45 AM
He should get a new contract worth £65k a week after tonight:wink:

Littlest Hobo
11-02-2010, 01:22 AM

Yep, think I've said all those things about him in the past and probably deservedly so but tonight he showed what he is capable of, more of the same please sir!:thumbsup: Well done :thumbsup: Benji

Juice-Terry
11-02-2010, 08:20 AM
Our best line up: Same as started against Aberdeen with Benji instead of Nish and Zemmamma instead of Rankin. Simples.

'Mon the Cabbage!

M8UDB
11-02-2010, 09:02 AM
Our best line up: Same as started against Aberdeen with Benji instead of Nish and Zemmamma instead of Rankin. Simples.

'Mon the Cabbage!

Seriously :confused:
I think Nish has been doing good in the last few games, the ball isnt bouncing 5 yards away from him when he tries to control it, he is starting to get the ball down and go past players, and even with diamond on his back all last night he was winning a good few balls in the air, just needs to work a bit on his finishing. Also think Rankin has been doing realy well recently, he gets about the pitch and isnt scared to put in a tackle and ive been very surprised at how much he is winning in the air for quite a small guy. Zemamma is better going forward but he never puts in a tackle. Would much rather leave it the way it is just know, bring both them on as super subs :agree:

mim
11-02-2010, 09:09 AM
With the likes of Stack, Hanlon, Benji, Zoomer, Gow and Stevenson on the bench, it just shows what a good squad Yogi has built in a very short time.

Give this man another season or so and I reckon we will be the real deal. :greengrin

Godsahibby
11-02-2010, 09:35 AM
Benji takes a penalty and a half, looks so calm, straight run up, gives the keeper no idea which way he is going, waits for the keeper to move and puts it in the bottom corner.

Someone said it earlier on this thread but had no doubt he would score that.

PeterboroHibee
11-02-2010, 09:37 AM
Doing well coming off the bench, bit harsh if hes getting important goals but Id still keep him in that role.

I dont understand why we would replace Nish and Rankin with Benji and Zemmama; yes ability wise they are much better, but when it isnt going our way, that would more than likely be 2 more passengers. Yogi has even said it, our success has been partly down to us being tough to beat, where the players are willing to work for the ball, on top of being good players.

TornadoHibby
11-02-2010, 09:45 AM

Aye but they're the guys who wouldn't know a decent footballer if he kicked them up the erck! :confused:

And we all know who they are as there must be at least one that sits near you on match days! :agree:

They also hate Hogg, Rankin, Nish, Maka, Hanlon, Thicot etc with the same vengeance! :wink:

MrRobot
11-02-2010, 02:35 PM
Just because he scored a penalty?

No, because on recent form, Benji has looked good when he has come on whereas Riordan hasn't been playing well minus scoring against the worst team in the 3rd division.

MrRobot
11-02-2010, 02:44 PM
Can Benji play on the left? I think Yogi likes the shape we have so I doubt he'll change it dramatically. Riordan also tracks back more than Benji - can't believe I just said that but it's true.

I dunno if Benji can play on the left. For Ian Murrays cross that led to the goal against St. Mirren he was on the left IIRC(or thereabouts) and linked up well with Murray.

I dont WANT Riordan to be dropped, but I think he should be to give him a boot up the erse a bit and get him into the kind of form that got him a call up. No point keeping Benji on the bench when IMO he can be effective starting a game. Just my opinion.

gogs_t
11-02-2010, 03:08 PM

'Mon the Cabbage!

Scapegoats out - inconsistent enigmas in. Alright, I'll agree that Nish could be included in the latter as well :greengrin"

Nish and Rankin have played well in the last few games and fully deserve their place in the team in my opinion. When we start losing, that's when we consider changing things.

Martin
11-02-2010, 03:12 PM
Plus he has scored more than Nade :agree: :jamboak:

Jim44
11-02-2010, 04:12 PM
I would definitely play Benji before Riordan against Rangers.

CapitalHibs
11-02-2010, 04:32 PM

You forgot ..."disnae play when it's cauld":greengrin

Hibs On Tour
11-02-2010, 09:52 PM
Aye but they're the guys who wouldn't know a decent footballer if he kicked them up the erck! :confused:

And we all know who they are as there must be at least one that sits near you on match days! :agree:

They also hate Hogg, Rankin, Nish, Maka, Hanlon, Thicot etc with the same vengeance! :wink:

Gash, IMHO.

Benji is the only person responsible for him having to go out on loan rather than progress at ER. He reaped the harvest of him believing his own hype rather than knuckling down and putting the effort in to match his undoubted natural talent. Remember the huffy baby elephant trudge around the pitch when things didn't go his way? Was that down to anyone bar Benji? No. Course not.

I was one who questioned his effort and would do the same again for any player who acted like he had on the pitch during games and at training as reported at the time. No player bigger than the club and all that.

Hopefully his showings this season are evidence that under Yogi the penny has finally dropped and he is prepared to put the graft in to match the talent. If that is the case, he has a future at ER and we should all be happy as a motivated Benji is a cracking player.

GGTTH

Diclonius
11-02-2010, 10:07 PM
Tell you what ... if there's a laddie you want to take a pressure penalty at any time, Benji's that laddie! Never in any doubt he'd score. :thumbsup:

Gretna at the start of the 07-08 season. Missed a penalty when we were 2-0 down.

Cropley10
11-02-2010, 10:13 PM
Gash, IMHO.

Benji is the only person responsible for him having to go out on loan rather than progress at ER. He reaped the harvest of him believing his own hype rather than knuckling down and putting the effort in to match his undoubted natural talent. Remember the huffy baby elephant trudge around the pitch when things didn't go his way? Was that down to anyone bar Benji? No. Course not.

I was one who questioned his effort and would do the same again for any player who acted like he had on the pitch during games and at training as reported at the time. No player bigger than the club and all that.

Hopefully his showings this season are evidence that under Yogi the penny has finally dropped and he is prepared to put the graft in to match the talent. If that is the case, he has a future at ER and we should all be happy as a motivated Benji is a cracking player.

GGTTH

He's got graft and talent. Plenty of talent.

The past is history. The boys scores winners, links up play, takes men on, has a great first touch and so on. But.... we mustn't forget when he used to trudge around the pitch, or get the hump. A young man, thousands of miles from home in a strange land, coping with a divorce and the death of his faither - by showing a honking attitude.

I think there are large sections of our support who he will still never convince, there will always be 'something [else] wrong'.

Cropley10
11-02-2010, 10:15 PM
I would definitely play Benji before Riordan against Rangers.

That is neither likely, nor contractually permissable :wink:

If only Benji had shown the same attitude as Deek has.

Bostonhibby
11-02-2010, 10:21 PM
Gash, IMHO.

GGTTH

:agree:most realistic post on the thread in my opinion

TornadoHibby
11-02-2010, 10:37 PM
Gash, IMHO.

GGTTH

Naturally, I don't agree with your rather simplistic view as to perhaps why he was like that for a while! :cool2:

However, as someone else has already answered you very well IMO, I'll simply quote him rather than waste time trying to improve on an already excellent assessment of the lad! :wink:

The past is history. The boys scores winners, links up play, takes men on, has a great first touch and so on. But.... we mustn't forget when he used to trudge around the pitch, or get the hump. A young man, thousands of miles from home in a strange land, coping with a divorce and the death of his faither - by showing a honking attitude.

I think there are large sections of our support who he will still never convince, there will always be 'something [else] wrong'.

That says it all really and, if people weren't so blinkered and always expecting perfection when that is a rare ability of most of the human race, maybe we could get less people behaving as though their entire family has just been wiped out in a car crash when Benji or any of the other players I named in an earlier post make ANY mistake at all! :agree:

Hogg is another one who unjustly gets it tight from these guys whenever he misses perfection with a pass or a header or a tackle! :agree:

Bookkeeper
11-02-2010, 10:37 PM

:agree: Spot on. Too many ready to get on his back. Don't think Mixu was much of a man manager either and couldn't get the best from him. Benji definitely worth his place in the team.

Silver Fox
11-02-2010, 11:05 PM
A player on his form is a valuable asset in the squad, 'nuff said. :agree:

IberianHibernian
12-02-2010, 12:28 AM
Benji , Riordan , Stokes , Nish , Gow and Byrne are all good forwards . Byrne`s still young and Gow`s on loan so competition will be between others . On ability and skill , for me Benji is easily the best so I`d understnd if he was frustrated at lack of chances and would expect him to get a good deal elsewhere next season .

Hibs On Tour
12-02-2010, 07:18 AM

As I said, a Benji with the right attitude is something we should be glad of. Unfortunately, its something we don't seem to have had until now. Or should we have just got the violins out when he wasn't trying on the pitch?

If his head is screwed on now I'm the first to say concentrate on the present. That doesn't mean past criticism wasn't justified.

Hibs On Tour
12-02-2010, 07:20 AM
Naturally, I don't agree with your rather simplistic view as to perhaps why he was like that for a while! :cool2:

However, as someone else has already answered you very well IMO, I'll simply quote him rather than waste time trying to improve on an already excellent assessment of the lad! :wink:

That says it all really and, if people weren't so blinkered and always expecting perfection when that is a rare ability of most of the human race, maybe we could get less people behaving as though their entire family has just been wiped out in a car crash when Benji or any of the other players I named in an earlier post make ANY mistake at all! :agree:

Hogg is another one who unjustly gets it tight from these guys whenever he misses perfection with a pass or a header or a tackle! :agree:

People weren't [and don't I think] expecting perfection. They do however expect our players not to trudge around the pitch not trying an arm like Benji did on so many occasions. That's not blinkered - pretending it didn't happen is. Entirely different scenario from the likes of Hogg who get pelters when they are trying and make a mistake.

As I said in my initial post, if Benji has his head screwed on then we can all move forward.

hibsbollah
12-02-2010, 08:22 AM
trudge around the pitch not trying an arm like Benji did on so many occasions. That's not blinkered - pretending it didn't happen is.

:confused: Queens Park? allegedly? maybe. Any other examples?

hulk
12-02-2010, 01:11 PM
Decent article in the Scotsman today

http://sport.scotsman.com/sport/Benjelloun-bullish-about-Euro-hopes.6066699.jp

If he is to be belived he wants to stay but not sure Yogi wants him if no talks have even started yet.

"My contract ends in June," said the 25-year-old. "I never said I want to leave Hibs. I like this club. I have only one club in my heart – Hibernian."

"So far nothing," he continued

hibsbollah
12-02-2010, 01:23 PM
Decent article in the Scotsman today

http://sport.scotsman.com/sport/Benjelloun-bullish-about-Euro-hopes.6066699.jp (http://sport.scotsman.com/sport/Benjelloun-bullish-about-Euro-hopes.6066699.jp)

If he is to be belived he wants to stay but not sure Yogi wants him if no talks have even started yet.

"My contract ends in June," said the 25-year-old. "I never said I want to leave Hibs. I like this club. I have only one club in my heart – Hibernian."

"So far nothing," he continued

Says all the right things, i'd love it if he stays.

Jim44
12-02-2010, 01:29 PM
If Benji is happy to stay at Hibs, albeit still in a supporting role, then I think Hughes would be stupid to let him go, assuming of course that he is not looking for a big increase in wages. Hughes has got a strong group of strikers at the club and I would hate to see him slimming it down for the sake of it.

James70
12-02-2010, 01:44 PM
He contributes to the team performance on his rare appearances and adds something different. If he was allowed to leave we would have to replace him with probably a more expensive option. I would like to see him stay with his current attitude and form but things may depend on Byrne's progress.

Hibernating (Im a stoopid yam tramp)
12-02-2010, 01:56 PM
he's more of a threat than Nish IMO. But Yogi seems to favour Lillian.

Hibs On Tour
12-02-2010, 10:40 PM
:confused: Queens Park? allegedly? maybe. Any other examples?

Plenty of times at ER when his shirt wouldn't even have needed washing...

PC Stamp
12-02-2010, 10:50 PM
Gretna at the start of the 07-08 season. Missed a penalty when we were 2-0 down.

Kerchiiiiiing. OK, he missed one there and then proceeded to set up each of our first two goals in that game which got us back to 2-2. He's matured a wee bit since missing that one and hasn't looked like missing one since, far less missing two in a row. :wink:

hibsbollah
13-02-2010, 07:28 AM
Plenty of times at ER when his shirt wouldn't even have needed washing...

:faf: what a cop out. No other examples then.

Hibs On Tour
13-02-2010, 09:56 AM
:faf: what a cop out. No other examples then.

Pish. If you didn't see any of the plentiful examples yourself then maybe your eyes are just painted on.

As I said, if he's now got his head screwed on then the past is the past anyway... but you horse on, clearly you have a bee in your bonnet about anyone having criticised Benji at any point in time... sheesh! :rolleyes:

Ah... sussed it - sorry about that. Clearly you *are* Benji or failing that perhaps JC...? :greengrin

hibsbollah
13-02-2010, 09:59 AM
Pish. If you didn't see any of the plentiful examples yourself then maybe your eyes are just painted on.

As I said, if he's now got his head screwed on then the past is the past anyway... but you horse on, clearly you have a bee in your bonnet about anyone having criticised Benji at any point in time... sheesh! :rolleyes:

Ah... sussed it - sorry about that. Clearly you *are* Benji or failing that perhaps JC...? :greengrin

Still no examples:yawn: just poor attempts at humour:rolleyes:

Hibs On Tour
13-02-2010, 10:07 AM
Still no examples:yawn: just poor attempts at humour:rolleyes:

Yawn. There were plenty. I didn't realise at the time I would have to note it down in my pocketbook to 'prove' anything to you. Sorry - I shall remember in future that unless I have it noted and signed in triplicate by 3 impartial witnesses that it doesn't count in your book.

Or are you *seriously* trying to suggest that his baby elephant trudge around the pitch didn't happen in so many games before he went out on loan to Belgium? If that's the case you defo weren't looking at the same pitch as me.

Anyway, lets agree to disagree eh? This is getting decidedly boring...

500miles
13-02-2010, 03:59 PM
Yawn. There were plenty. I didn't realise at the time I would have to note it down in my pocketbook to 'prove' anything to you. Sorry - I shall remember in future that unless I have it noted and signed in triplicate by 3 impartial witnesses that it doesn't count in your book.

Or are you *seriously* trying to suggest that his baby elephant trudge around the pitch didn't happen in so many games before he went out on loan to Belgium? If that's the case you defo weren't looking at the same pitch as me.

I definately remember the period to which you are alluding. Mixu got the blame for not playing football the right way, thus negitively affecting Benji's game - the irony being that Benji's deteriorating form began when the footballing purist that was JC was in charge.

If there is any player that can be accused of complacency at Easter Road, it's Benji. When he's at himself, he's a great player, but his mentality is all wrong.

13-02-2010, 04:06 PM
Benji might have some issues but he's better than Nish. I'd start him tomorrow with Stokes.

hibsbollah
14-02-2010, 12:53 PM
Time for you to break your duck against the Old Firm, Go on the Benji:thumbsup:

14-02-2010, 02:24 PM
Time for you to break your duck against the Old Firm, Go on the Benji:thumbsup:

Benji was as good as I've seen him there. Not missing big Lillian.

CapitalHibs
14-02-2010, 02:30 PM
Benji was as good as I've seen him there. Not missing big Lillian.

Benji has held up the ball more in one half than Nish has done all season.

TornadoHibby
14-02-2010, 02:32 PM

Hope today lifts your boredom about one of the best creative and gifted players we have had at Hibs! :wink:

Benji has been our best player so far followed closely by Zouma, Miller, Hanlon and Rankin! :agree:

Great attacking line up from Yogi and great work rate from the players so far. :agree:

If we can keep the work rate going the three points ar definately ours to take home! :cool2:

down-the-slope
25-09-2012, 10:42 PM
With the likes of Stack, Hanlon, Benji, Zoomer, Gow and Stevenson on the bench, it just shows what a good squad Yogi has built in a very short time.

Give this man another season or so and I reckon we will be the real deal. :greengrin

:tee hee:

frazeHFC
25-09-2012, 10:52 PM

Such a random time to post. :tee hee:

down-the-slope
25-09-2012, 10:58 PM

Midweek drinking..its not big...its not clever :greengrin

Johnny0762
25-09-2012, 10:58 PM

Haha you can't afford to get nowt wrong or someone will throw it back up years down the line. :thumbsup:

I'll have folk queueing up for the next decade to correct me. :greengrin:greengrin

hibsbollah
26-09-2012, 08:40 AM

Surely you have some more demands on your time than digging up a 2 year old thread (even though i started it and it is therefore a very good one) :hilarious

down-the-slope
26-09-2012, 10:31 AM
Surely you have some more demands on your time than digging up a 2 year old thread (even though i started it and it is therefore a very good one) :hilarious

Do you want to know the real reason, which is very random - Have you ever noticed that the front page of main forum on right top always has page numbers 1,2,3,11,51,501,..last displayed...i just though wonder what was 501 pages ago....click and there was a post by you top of that page...I just had to see what words of wisdom you were dispensing 2 1/2 years ago :wink:

Edit..
The fact that the Tax payer is funding you to spend time checking why I am looking at your 2 1/2 year old post is also a question :devil:

yekimevol
26-09-2012, 02:46 PM
i miss benji he was a really nice bloke who did have the talent but instead hughes kept the likes of nish over him :S