PDA

View Full Version : The Ref (Craig Thomson, for it is he)

SouthMoroccoStu
10-02-2010, 09:00 PM
Absolute disgrace!!!!

The ref and the linesmen putting in a shocking display.

How much did Aberdeen get away with?

The glasgow football association strike again.

:grr:

Great team spirit by the hibees:notworthy:

NOLA
10-02-2010, 09:03 PM
ref was pathetic tonight, should have had the pen before the one we did get (which dont think was) still a good game though from both sides if you were a neutral, zouma made a big difference, good point gained after being 2 down.

hibee_girl
10-02-2010, 09:08 PM
ref was a joke tonight :agree:

PC Stamp
10-02-2010, 09:09 PM
You can't say things like that about the top ref in the country. Who gave him that title BTW? Top ref in his own house maybe! :rolleyes:

NadeAteMyLunch!
10-02-2010, 09:10 PM
Worst ive seen for a while!! Total clown...and that linesman!!!!!!! :grr::grr::grr::grr:

James.
10-02-2010, 09:16 PM
Worst refereeing display I think I've ever seen at Easter Road. Cannot believe what Aberdeen were able to get away with tonight. Mackie and MacLean were constantly at it - terrible fouls, diving etc but Thompson was only interested in giving Stokes a talking too for not hearing a whistle for offside. How on earth Miller was the only player booked during that scrap I'll never know. The offside desicions at the start of the second half were laughable also.

hibeesdude
10-02-2010, 09:18 PM
Montrose player celebrates with his own fans booked
sheep player celebrates in front of hibs fans and.....nothin

hibee_girl
10-02-2010, 09:18 PM
Worst refereeing display I think I've ever seen at Easter Road. Cannot believe what Aberdeen were able to get away with tonight. Mackie and MacLean were constantly at it - terrible fouls, diving etc but Thompson was only interested in giving Stokes a talking too for not hearing a whistle for offside. How on earth Miller was the only player booked during that scrap I'll never know. The offside desicions at the start of the second half were laughable also.

I'm guessing it's because not one of the officials were paying any attention, the ref, the west stand linesman and the 4th official all had their backs to it and the east stand linesman only realised something was going on when the crowd noise went up

FWIW the Aberdeen player, no 8 I think it was, went after Miller first

I'm_cabbaged
10-02-2010, 09:27 PM
I'm guessing it's because not one of the officials were paying any attention, the ref, the west stand linesman and the 4th official all had their backs to it and the east stand linesman only realised something was going on when the crowd noise went up

:agree: Kerr?

How many times did Nish get pushed in the back when in the air, I could go on and on about it but haven't got the time to point out half the mistakes. By far the worst display I've saw in years, is it a coincidence that we're breathing down the necks of one of the old firm again?

NadeAteMyLunch!
10-02-2010, 09:29 PM

Miller done nothing other than get his toes stood on by that horrible, ugly ******* Kerr who then jumped up and had a go at Miller!!! :grr: The East stand linesman, despite standing lookin at it seen **** all, yet the West stand linesman who appeared to have his back to it, whilst speaking to the ref, seen enough to tell the ref to book LM?!?!? WTF?!?!? And that scrotum up front is a perfect replacement for Lee Miller!! Equally horrible.

Wotherspiniesta
Referee was a joke. Took an absolute age to make a decision and 9/10 got it wrong. The linesman on the east stand side for the 2nd half was just as bad. Someone ought to sit him down and go over the offside rule with him because the last time I checked, you can't be offside when you're in your own half.

PC Stamp

They made the decision up between them I think because the West Stand Linesman was with the ref checking the sub at the time it happened and the East Stand one was making sure no-one was offside at the time! :wink:

Calvin
10-02-2010, 09:45 PM
In added time, after yet another bizarre decision, Hughes turned to the linesman, pointed at Thomson and said:

"If that's the best in the country, we're *****ed"

and I couldn't agree more. Woeful performance from the ref, delayed the game as much as possible and cost us a lot of our momentum. Some bizarre decisions. Even on the radio it was commented that he was dire.

Greenblood70
10-02-2010, 09:47 PM
By far and away the worst refereeing performance of the season tonight. Everything that was bad about Scottish refs on show...inconsistant, taking ages to make decisions, then getting them completely wrong and as had been said inventing the booking for Miller.

Wasn't convinced the one we got was a penalty but it made up fgor the couple we could have had and the half dozen fouls we should have had around the box.

I have to say Aberdeen are a very cynical, ugly side under McGhee and they were allowed to get aweay wi murder by Thomson tonight.

Nakedmanoncrack
10-02-2010, 09:48 PM
A genuine shocker of a display.

Supraninja
10-02-2010, 09:48 PM
Was that linesman at the east the same guy as the one for St. Mirren?? They were both ***** and chubby... But then most linesmen seem to be. I laughed at the way that when he was getting pelters he did this funny shuffling thing with his feet to make it look like he was being really attentive with checking for offsides.

steakbake
10-02-2010, 09:49 PM
He was a total stroker of a ref. The linesman on the East was piss poor as well.

Calvin
10-02-2010, 09:51 PM
After the ref took Hughes aside and gave him an unmerited talking to in the first half, it was very funny when he turned to the fourth official and gave himself a slap on the wrist!

Hibby D
10-02-2010, 09:54 PM
You could almost believe (if you are into conspiracy theories) that he was deliberately trying to lose us the game...... some of the strangest decisions I've witnessed from a ref.

2nd half about to start on BBC Alba so I'm going to watch it just to confirm my theory :greengrin

MacBean
10-02-2010, 09:54 PM
was speaking to 4 aberdeen fans after the game. and they said he was absolutely horrific too.

Worst ref performance of the season so far

woody47
10-02-2010, 10:11 PM
That scrotum is the worst ref we have ever had at ER. It is so obvious he has an intense hatred for Hibs. :grr:

He should be sued for taking money under false pretences as he certainly didn't referee the game tonight as that would show impartiality.

I don't know how many times he just happened to get in the road when we had the ball.

He is so far up his own derrier it is unbelievable.

Surely after this performance Yogi should demand that he never darkens our doorsteps again. :grr::grr::grr:

lucky
10-02-2010, 10:15 PM
Only thing worse than the ref was the linesmen. How can you be offside if the ball is still in your own half?

jabis
10-02-2010, 10:15 PM
In added time, after yet another bizarre decision, Hughes turned to the linesman, pointed at Thomson and said:

"If that's the best in the country, we're *****ed"

and I couldn't agree more. Woeful performance from the ref, delayed the game as much as possible and cost us a lot of our momentum. Some bizarre decisions. Even on the radio it was commented that he was dire.

cant use that word enough to describe his performance.
Was laughing my moobies off at where some of the free kicks got taken,thinking,what happened there !

jakedance
10-02-2010, 10:20 PM
He was an embarassment to his profession to be honest and you could drag a drunk off the street who'd do a better job than the linesman on the ET side.

You can tell the ref is bad when he seems to be the centre of every single moment of the game. The booking for Miller was baffling, a complete joke.

bubblesmorrison
10-02-2010, 10:24 PM
Referee was a joke. Took an absolute age to make a decision and 9/10 got it wrong. The linesman on the east stand side for the 2nd half was just as bad. Someone ought to sit him down and go over the offside rule with him because the last time I checked, you can't be offside when you're in your own half.

your right but if you are in there half when the ball is played and move into your half to recive the ball you ARE offside already been over this with my dad. the free kick is given in the postion you are when the balls played not where you recive the ball

greenlex
10-02-2010, 10:27 PM
Got most calls right I thought. Same with the East Stand linesman. :confused:

The Harp Awakes
10-02-2010, 10:29 PM
Another imposter from the Hugh Dallas school of refereeing:grr:

The 'I'm the most important man on the pitch' attitude was there for everyone to see. Never let the game flow at all, made more wrong decisions than right and more interested in telling off the Managers than concentrating on what was happening on the pitch.

This is the same guy who had the shocker in the OF game at Ibrox earlier in the season and somehow managed to avoid giving 3 stonewall pens against the Huns.

Total joke of a ref.

Sas_The_Hibby
10-02-2010, 10:33 PM
Mark McGhee agrees the ref was rubbish - apparently he kept giving all the decisions Hibs' way!
:greengrin:greengrin:greengrin:greengrin:greengrin :greengrin

Danderhall Hibs
10-02-2010, 10:34 PM

How many times did Nish get pushed in the back when in the air, I could go on and on about it but haven't got the time to point out half the mistakes. By far the worst display I've saw in years, is it a coincidence that we're breathing down the necks of one of the old firm again?

You could almost believe (if you are into conspiracy theories) that he was deliberately trying to lose us the game...... some of the strangest decisions I've witnessed from a ref.

2nd half about to start on BBC Alba so I'm going to watch it just to confirm my theory :greengrin

So he/the"GFA" wanted us to lose so much they gave us an 87th minute penaty?

Only thing worse than the ref was the linesmen. How can you be offside if the ball is still in your own half?

because...

your right but if you are in there half when the ball is played and move into your half to recive the ball you ARE offside already been over this with my dad. the free kick is given in the postion you are when the balls played not where you recive the ball

Just been having a discussion with my brother-in-law about the exact same thing!

Wotherspiniesta
10-02-2010, 10:35 PM

I know that. But thank you :greengrin

Maybe I didn't have the best view from the FF, but at one point, Nish looked to be in his own half when the ball was played yet was still flagged offside.

Jamesie
10-02-2010, 10:36 PM

Don't forget the *******'s theatrics in walking slowly towards Miller, before slowly revealing what colour of card it was.

Absolutely no need and the old adage that those who have no power try to invent it for themselves to abuse came to mind. Thomson shouldn't be near a football game. The worst referee seen at Easter Road in many, many years.

jabis
10-02-2010, 10:36 PM
Got most calls right I thought. Same with the East Stand linesman. :confused:

so you left at halftime :greengrin

Dirkster23
10-02-2010, 10:37 PM
Felt if Hughes wanted to take off a non attaking player he could have taken Nish off.
Don't think Nish offered much throughout the game and was amazed he was preferred to Spoony and Riordan.

Your right, he only won numerous headers and along with Stokes had the Aberdeen CH's all over the place in the second half :bye:

Like someone said earlier, thank god Yogi picks the team!

NORTHERNHIBBY
10-02-2010, 10:39 PM
Thought that the only thing that the ref did properly was to draw attention to himself and make sure he was the centre of attraction. Not overly sure he was just bad for us. McBride could well have walked for that uber-cynical tackle and our peno for the equaliser?? Well I would have been raging had that gone against us.

Danderhall Hibs
10-02-2010, 10:40 PM
Don't forget the *******'s theatrics in walking slowly towards Miller, before slowly revealing what colour of card it was.

Absolutely no need and the old adage that those who have no power try to invent it for themselves to abuse came to mind. Thomson shouldn't be near a football game. The worst referee seen at Easter Road in many, many years.

And when Stokes was reminding him to add injury time he was giving it the pointing at himself then his watch to make sure everyone knew who was the boss.

Dallas has definitely taken him under his wing.

Jonnyboy
10-02-2010, 10:41 PM

Of the very many dodgy decisions made by Thomson that was surely the worst and shows how the authorities are stifling the game. Yes the Montrose player should have been booked because that's what the (stupid) rule decrees but the Dons player blatantly celebrates and gesticulates in front of Hibs fans and Thomson ignores it :grr:

Part/Time Supporter
10-02-2010, 10:42 PM

There were one or two of them where I was struggling to comprehend how the Hibs player could possibly have moved between the two relevant points in the period that the ball was in motion.

pedroorange1875
How can you be offside with a ball that never enters, at any phase of an attack, in the opponents half ?

Totally understand a slow forward coming from an offside position to onside then being flagged but the very meaning of the offside rule is only applicable when you enter beyond the half way line. The ball never got that far

Hibercelona
Total disgrace! :grr:

Edit: Same for McBrides near the end of the first half.

leither17
10-02-2010, 10:43 PM
Felt if Hughes wanted to take off a non attaking player he could have taken Nish off.
Don't think Nish offered much throughout the game and was amazed he was preferred to Spoony and Riordan.

Your right, he only won numerous headers and along with Stokes had the Aberdeen CH's all over the place in the second half :bye:

Like someone said earlier, thank god Yogi picks the team!

i thought nish was dire in the first half but then so was the whole team but seemed a different player in the second won nearly everything in the air and should have had a hell of a lot more fouls from the joke of a ref

shamo9
10-02-2010, 10:44 PM

:confused: It was a blatant trip to stop the break away. Tactical foul.

The_Horde
10-02-2010, 10:44 PM

I'd need to see the first one, but his 'foul' directly after that was a shocking decision.

Mcbrides was DEFO a yellow. :agree:

hibee_girl
10-02-2010, 10:45 PM
McBride's was probably the only one that was a certain yellow card

Hibercelona
10-02-2010, 10:47 PM
Really?

When looking at the highlights on Alba, it looked like McBride made no contact what so ever. :confused:

macca70
10-02-2010, 10:48 PM
How can you be offside with a ball that never enters, at any phase of an attack, in the opponents half ?

Totally understand a slow forward coming from an offside position to onside then being flagged but the very meaning of the offside rule is only applicable when you enter beyond the half way line. The ball never got that far

Cause your deemed offside 'when the ball is kicked', regardless of where the ball ends up.

So, you could be offside when ball is kicked, come back into your own half, deemed to be interfeering with play and the free kick is given at the spot you were offside when the ball was kicked.

Clear as mud, just do away with offside completely IMO

hibee_girl
10-02-2010, 10:49 PM
Really?

When looking at the highlights on Alba, it looked like McBride made no contact what so ever. :confused:

He did make contact, he didn't even attempt to play the ball.

Jonnyboy
10-02-2010, 10:50 PM

Aye that should have been red :wink:

Had it been Foster hooking Zouma like that the thread on here would be 50 pages long. Kev took one for the team and deserved the yellow

MyJo
10-02-2010, 10:52 PM
probably the worst refereeing performance I have ever had the misfortune to experience. an absolute shambles

matty_f
10-02-2010, 10:53 PM
The ref and the west stand linesman were ******ing atrocious tonight. Absolutely shocking. I think the linesman got about 80% of his decisions wrong, including ones that went in our favour.

Don't know where to start with the referee. About the only thing he got right tonight was getting the kick off on time.

Hibercelona
10-02-2010, 11:07 PM
Aye that should have been red :wink:

Had it been Foster hooking Zouma like that the thread on here would be 50 pages long. Kev took one for the team and deserved the yellow

Keep re running it over and over again.

Although McBride slid in, he still made no contact what so ever. :bitchy:

Jonnyboy
10-02-2010, 11:07 PM

Although McBride slide in, he still made no contact what so ever. :bitchy:

Can't really understand why the sheep would fall then as he was clear through :confused:

Danderhall Hibs
10-02-2010, 11:09 PM

Although McBride slid in, he still made no contact what so ever. :bitchy:

I didn't think he slid in - from where I was it looked like the guy kicked the ball down the wing and McBride strolled over and tripped him up. Quite similar to the McManus "tackle" on Driver earlier this season, but maybe not quite as vicious.

Hibercelona
10-02-2010, 11:11 PM
Can't really understand why the sheep would fall then as he was clear through :confused:

Clear through? :confused:

I don't know what foul you're thinking of. :wink:

I'm talking about the foul where Foster is running down the wing and it appeared at the time that McBride clipped him.

But after re running it over and over again, its clear that he made absolutely no contact.

Hibercelona
10-02-2010, 11:12 PM
I didn't think he slid in - from where I was it looked like the guy kicked the ball down the wing and McBride strolled over and tripped him up. Quite similar to the McManus "tackle" on Driver earlier this season, but maybe not quite as vicious.

Nope.

He tried to slide in from behind and completely miss timed, but he made no contact with Foster either.

The diving bas just hit the deck. :grr:

Carheenlea
10-02-2010, 11:13 PM
Don't know where to start with the referee. About the only thing he got right tonight was getting the kick off on time.

Not too sure if you can give him that, if we did kick off on time I`ll need to adjust my clock on the phone..

Twa Cairpets
10-02-2010, 11:15 PM

Because thats what the law is. it relates to the players position, not the balls - where the ball gets to is irrelevant.

Saorsa
10-02-2010, 11:18 PM
The officials were absolutely appalling tonight, worst I've seen in a long time, nae doubt they'll get a :thumbsup: fae the SFA though :bitchy:

Danderhall Hibs
10-02-2010, 11:19 PM
Because thats what the law is. it relates to the players position, not the balls - where the ball gets to is irrelevant.

:agree: There seem to be a lot of folk that don't know the offside rule!

Hibercelona

That can't be right. :confused:

If the ball doesn't leave your own half, then the players positionings are totally irrelevant.

Offside can't come into play until the ball has crossed into the opponents half.

Unless i've missed something of course.

matty_f

Nish?:dunno:

Danderhall Hibs
10-02-2010, 11:20 PM
Nish?:dunno:

:hilarious I was thinking that when I typed it.

Jonnyboy
10-02-2010, 11:21 PM
Clear through? :confused:

I don't know what foul you're thinking of. :wink:

I'm talking about the foul where Foster is running down the wing and it appeared at the time that McBride clipped him.

But after re running it over and over again, its clear that he made absolutely no contact.

Poor choice of phrase on my part, sorry. I meant he was running clear through into acres of open space

matty_f
10-02-2010, 11:21 PM

If the ball doesn't leave your own half, then the players positionings are totally irrelevant.

Offside can't come into play until the ball has crossed into the opponents half.

You have. Offside is about where the players are, not the ball. You can pass the ball from your own half, and if the attacker is in an offside position when the ball is played, it's a foul.

The only time when what half you are in comes into play is that you can't be offside in your own half.

Danderhall Hibs
10-02-2010, 11:22 PM
Nope.

He tried to slide in from behind and completely miss timed, but he made no contact with Foster either.

The diving bas just hit the deck. :grr:

I've just watched it - I think he did clip his heels but I agree it didn't look as bad as I thought at the time. Having said that it was a definite yellow card and if he had got to him sooner it probably would've been a lot worse.

Hibbie_Cameron
10-02-2010, 11:24 PM
It was laughable.

Thomson was awful for both sides but more so to us.

The Miller booking was the worst:

None of the officials seen the incident on west stand side as it took 3 of them to prepare a sub to enter the field. God knows what the clown was doing down the east stand side. He never noticed anything was going on until it was nearly over yet he was facing the action. If the east had kept quiet he probably would never have known anything had gone on at all.

Yet between the 3 of them decide Miller gets a yellow yet noone else gets spoken too.

He was also Aberdeens best defender when we were on the counter attack, How many times did he run infront of Miller and Rankin when the were in possession?

silverhibee
10-02-2010, 11:24 PM
was speaking to 4 aberdeen fans after the game. and they said he was absolutely horrific too.

Worst ref performance of the season so far

Top quaility picture.

Hibercelona
10-02-2010, 11:25 PM
Poor choice of phrase on my part, sorry. I meant he was running clear through into acres of open space

No probz. :greengrin

It just didn't look like he made any contact from the angle of the replay.

Green tinted specs firmly on of course. :wink:

Hibernating (Im a stoopid yam tramp)
10-02-2010, 11:27 PM
Along with Grand Master Richmond, Thomshun is the worst ref in Scotland. It's obvious he's anti Hibs, has done us twice in the Scottish Cup with soft penalty's. If we get him or Richmond in the cup it's 109 years.

silverhibee
10-02-2010, 11:31 PM
How many penalties were wee denied tonight from that trumpet of a referee.:grr:

sadtom
10-02-2010, 11:44 PM
His mother was a champion dressage pony.

How else do you explain that ridiculous, pointy toed, high kneed, running style.

He's gash.

bob12345
11-02-2010, 04:37 AM
So what's happened to players having to touch the ball before the offside is given? That was introduced a few years ago and I've never heard of it being retracted?

Ref was poor, I think some of the reaction is a bit OTT. It was a tough game to referee but I agree he was consistently poor.

Anyone listen/watch on Hibs TV? The co-commentator was raving about Thomson, giving him at least 10 'spot ons' after his calls.

ACLeith
11-02-2010, 06:29 AM
probably the worst refereeing performance I have ever had the misfortune to experience. an absolute shambles

Have to disagree - Freeland against Falkirk a few years back when Yogi was their manager could NEVER be beaten.

It's like asking who was the worst centre forward - Hans Eskilson, Husrif Musimic or Christian Nade ? All you can say is that they were the worst of their time!!

But Thomson was the worst seen this season - so far :grr:

rainman
11-02-2010, 06:39 AM

Deary me.

No wonder there's confusion and different opinions of whether people are offside or not. :tee hee:

Twa Cairpets
11-02-2010, 07:03 AM
So what's happened to players having to touch the ball before the offside is given? That was introduced a few years ago and I've never heard of it being retracted?
Ref was poor, I think some of the reaction is a bit OTT. It was a tough game to referee but I agree he was consistently poor.

Anyone listen/watch on Hibs TV? The co-commentator was raving about Thomson, giving him at least 10 'spot ons' after his calls.

The offside law (Law 11) is below. curiously, it is one of the shortest laws in the game. From FIFA website (http://www.fifa.com/mm/document/affederation/federation/81/42/36/lawsofthegameen.pdf).

The reason for delay of raising the flag, etc is in order to see how play develops, and is usually a specific instruction given to linesmen by the referee.

The "touch" rule was tidied up becuase it led, potentially, to difficult situations where a player could be miles offside, but not having touched the ball, is "clear through" but gets brought down. Was he offside or was should it be a red card fo rthe defender?

Offside Position
It is not an offence in itself to be in an offside position.
A player is in an offside position if:
• he is nearer to his opponents’ goal line than both the ball and the
second-last opponent
A player is not in an offside position if:
• he is in his own half of the fi eld of play or
• he is level with the second-last opponent or
• he is level with the last two opponents
Offence
A player in an offside position is only penalised if, at the moment the ball
touches or is played by one of his team, he is, in the opinion of the referee,
involved in active play by:
• interfering with play or
• interfering with an opponent or
• gaining an advantage by being in that position
No Offence
There is no offside offence if a player receives the ball directly from:
• a goal kick
• a throw-in
• a corner kick
Infringements and Sanctions
In the event of an offside offence, the referee awards an indirect free kick
to the opposing team to be taken from the place where the infringement
occurred (see Law 13 – Position of Free Kick).

jakedance
11-02-2010, 07:58 AM
I didn't realise you couldn't be offside from a goal kick. You learn something new every day.

Expecting Rain
11-02-2010, 08:45 AM
Another imposter from the Hugh Dallas school of refereeing:grr:

The 'I'm the most important man on the pitch' attitude was there for everyone to see. Never let the game flow at all, made more wrong decisions than right and more interested in telling off the Managers than concentrating on what was happening on the pitch.

This is the same guy who had the shocker in the OF game at Ibrox earlier in the season and somehow managed to avoid giving 3 stonewall pens against the Huns.

Total joke of a ref.

:top marks

Golden Bear
11-02-2010, 09:01 AM
Apart from his very obvious inadequacies as a competent referee, the guy is a muckle poser and would be more suited to performing in a dressage arena.

KerPlunk
11-02-2010, 09:07 AM
Along with Grand Master Richmond, Thomshun is the worst ref in Scotland. It's obvious he's anti Hibs, has done us twice in the Scottish Cup with soft penalty's. If we get him or Richmond in the cup it's 109 years.

It's a stick-on that we get either Brines or Richmond for Cup games. :agree:

PaulSmith
11-02-2010, 09:08 AM

Another fan who doesn't know the laws of the Game but thinks that they must be correct and the guys who do the job are wrong!
Quite simple, offside if he gains an advantage from being in an offside position when the ball is played forward.

skipster7
11-02-2010, 09:13 AM
i agree the ref was a shocker ,every free kick an aberdeen player either stood in front of the ball or walked across the path of it ,slowing everything down.with a couple of the offside decisions our players were offside in the other half when the ball was played forward but came back into our half to collect it, still offside though
.in contrast at 1-2 i was right in line as they broke 2 on 1 and was about to go mad at rankin for not stepping out when the linesman at the west raised his flag, never off in a million years:greengrin

Geo_1875
11-02-2010, 09:38 AM

The offside law, and the guidance for referees, makes no reference to an offence when the ball is in the attacking teams half. As Zoomer travelled back into his own half before the ball crossed the half-way line he had returned to an onside position for that phase of play. The referee and linesman are not allowed to make up rules during the game.

Hibby D
11-02-2010, 09:40 AM
His mother was a champion dressage pony.

How else do you explain that ridiculous, pointy toed, high kneed, running style.

He's gash.

:hilarious

matty_f
11-02-2010, 09:41 AM
The offside law, and the guidance for referees, makes no reference to an offence when the ball is in the attacking teams half. As Zoomer travelled back into his own half before the ball crossed the half-way line he had returned to an onside position for that phase of play. The referee and linesman are not allowed to make up rules during the game.

He was offside when the ball was played, that's the bit that matters. The ref's not made up the rule, he's applied it correctly there.

Gus Fring
11-02-2010, 09:51 AM
I was thinking last night when watching the ridiculous decisions being made by the complete plum of a ref. What recourse do the clubs have over pants refereeing?

It seems that if a manager or a player questions the refs, they get into bother for it regardless of how valid their point is. Players are given suspensions and bookings etc, managers are sent to the stands, given fines and bans etc. BUt when the referees have a shockingly bad game like last night, absolutely F all seems to get done. can anyone clarify what punishment, if any, referees recieve? Or does the SFA continue to wrap them up in cotton wool and not let anyone disagree with any decision they make?

Monktonhall 7
11-02-2010, 10:38 AM
Read the thread and sent some of the comments to my mate who is an SPL Assistant Ref. His response back was "that these people should get a life and take up another hobby". A typical from the Masonic Club that is the Scottish referees society, and unless the SFA start to take the Fans, Players, and Managers views seriously, nothing will ever happen to make it better. Petrie get it sorted.:wink:

ahibby
11-02-2010, 10:52 AM
Read the thread and sent some of the comments to my mate who is an SPL Assistant Ref. His response back was "that these people should get a life and take up another hobby". A typical from the Masonic Club that is the Scottish referees society, and unless the SFA start to take the Fans, Players, and Managers views seriously, nothing will ever happen to make it better. Petrie get it sorted.:wink:

He obviously isn't a football fan. This is some peoples life and they spend every spare penny they have on it. If the majority of people took his advice he wouldn't have a paid job in football; plonker.

hstn747
11-02-2010, 12:02 PM
I thought McBride could have been in danger of a red card for his trip. Is it not a professional foul when no attempt is made to play the ball & kick the players legs as he's running clear? Or does it need to be a clear goal scoring opportunity?
Also thought Bamba was lucky when he took an Aberdeen player thigh high with his studs showing after he'd already been given a yellow.

Part/Time Supporter
11-02-2010, 12:03 PM
I thought McBride could have been in danger of a red card for his trip. Is it not a professional foul when no attempt is made to play the ball & kick the players legs as he's running clear? Or does it need to be a clear goal scoring opportunity?
Also thought Bamba was lucky when he took an Aberdeen player thigh high with his studs showing after he'd already been given a yellow.

It didn't really fall into either category (clear goalscoring opportunity or dangerous foul play), hence the yellow. Magoo was comparing it to the Lee Miller red card at Pittodrie, but that was a kick rather than a deliberate trip.

Franck Stanton
11-02-2010, 12:21 PM

What you say is correct......however I sit at the half-way line in E/s and the incident occurred right in front of me. There was no Hibs player in that area when the r-sole linesman flagged and the two Aberdeen ch's were at least 10 yds inside their own half. Look where they took the kick from - roughly 2 yds from the line. Have watched it again on Alba tv and am still convinced the officials got it wrong [ not for the first time last night either].
That reffereeing display must rank as one of the worst, if not THE worst I have ever witnessed.
Can anyone tell me why Kerr and McLean were allowed to stay on the pitch? Both niggly wee barstewards, ohh dinnae get me started.

Vini1875
11-02-2010, 12:39 PM
I have never subscribed to the theory that if you put the OF under any pressure that the refs and officials would rally to the cause of the duopoly but after last night it is easy to see where the theory comes from. They were brutal versus Hibs on a par with the bednobs and broomsticks game of football.

givescotlandfreedom
11-02-2010, 01:53 PM

Interesting maybe he could come out into the media and tell us about how wrong we all are or more likely he wouldn't have the bollocks and would hide like all officials. Also please inform him we all have a hobby - watching football - and we'd enjoy it more if arrogant and ignorant fuds like them didn't ruin it. Thanks :)

Danderhall Hibs
11-02-2010, 01:55 PM
I have never subscribed to the theory that if you put the OF under any pressure that the refs and officials would rally to the cause of the duopoly but after last night it is easy to see where the theory comes from. They were brutal versus Hibs on a par with the bednobs and broomsticks game of football.

How do you explain them giving us a "soft" penalty in the 87th minute?

Rory89
11-02-2010, 02:29 PM
Wrong decisions the ref gave in our favour:

Bamba looked like he commited another yellow card offence whilst already in the book.
Stokes dived to win us a free-kick, although it lead to nothing.

Wrong decisions the ref gave in Aberdeens favour:

Just about every decision going, they were dirty *****ers all night and consistently got away with it. It's what I've become used to with them, cheating players, a total plank of a manager and ******** fans.

To make it worse as well as calling so many decisions wrong, Richmond is a man who whenever I've seen with the whistle he stops and starts everything and dishes out long lectures to people as if the crowd have come to see him.

JimBHibees
11-02-2010, 02:38 PM

Affectionately know as Juan :greengrin

No wonder he got a shooing in sheep land last year? horrible wee ned saying that in being coached and I use the word loosely by McGhee and Scott Leitch what do you expect

hibbybrian
11-02-2010, 03:05 PM

Tell that to Les Mottram and his Linesman :greengrin

YouTube - Worst decision made by a football referee ever ! (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xKuLtLXl7FI&NR=1&feature=fvwp)

truehibernian
11-02-2010, 03:30 PM
Referee was terrible for both sides last night and to me had the air of a strict headmaster, intent on stopping the game at any opportunity. The Yogi "ticking off" was just laughable, the three times going to "warn" Leitch, and the constant lecturing just stopped Hibs flow in the first half. However, Bamba was a very very lucky boy not to receive a caution for that lunge in the second half. Diamond likewise, should have been in the book for his constant fouling throughout the game. And did the ref have it in for Miller, as he seemed to penalise Liam at every opportunity. The free kick leading to their first goal was never in a million years a free kick. Also missed an Aberdeen player doing a harlem globetrotter routine with the football in the box in the first half where he balanced it on his elbow for about 5 seconds to control it.

--------
11-02-2010, 06:01 PM
How do you explain them giving us a "soft" penalty in the 87th minute?

It wasn't soft. :bitchy:

greenlex
11-02-2010, 06:05 PM

Aye it was.
Ball to hand IMO. His hand is up due to his jumping to challenge for the ball. If that had been at the other end I would have ben ragng. To be fair though he did miss deliberate hand ball from Kerr in the first half when he was trying to juggle the ball at close quarters. Evened itself out over the piece.

AFKA5814_Hibs
11-02-2010, 06:59 PM
Was that linesman at the east the same guy as the one for St. Mirren?? They were both ***** and chubby... But then most linesmen seem to be. I laughed at the way that when he was getting pelters he did this funny shuffling thing with his feet to make it look like he was being really attentive with checking for offsides.

The linesman at the East Stand side was James Bee. I knew James about 20 odd years ago and went to his 21st b/day party where he and his family members gave a rather loud rendition of Hearts Hearts Glorious Hearts.:hmmm:

He has been the linesman at a few Hibs games in the past including our CIS cup semi final win over the Huns at Hampden. Last night was the worst performance I've seen from him.

Alfred E Newman
11-02-2010, 07:03 PM
Aye it was.
Ball to hand IMO. His hand is up due to his jumping to challenge for the ball. If that had been at the other end I would have ben ragng. To be fair though he did miss deliberate hand ball from Kerr in the first half when he was trying to juggle the ball at close quarters. Evened itself out over the piece.

Played it on slow mo and it looked hand to ball . Still soft though and doesn`t alter the fact that Thomson is a grade A poser who makes sure every game he referees revolves round one thing. Himself.

Danderhall Hibs
11-02-2010, 07:08 PM

I agree - but plenty on here have said it was.

Aye it was.

I've got the "you are the ref" calendar on my desk this year - there wasa question during January that went along the lines of if a defender is facing away from a corner with his hands in the air and the ball strikes his arm what is your decision?

Answer was penalty - doesn't matter if he didn't see the ball.

jabis
11-02-2010, 07:36 PM
I agree - but plenty on here have said it was.

I've got the "you are the ref" calendar on my desk this year - there wasa question during January that went along the lines of if a defender is facing away from a corner with his hands in the air and the ball strikes his arm what is your decision?

Answer was penalty - doesn't matter if he didn't see the ball.

that's just sad :greengrin

Danderhall Hibs
11-02-2010, 08:19 PM
that's just sad :greengrin

I didn't buy it - Christmas dip present!

sunshine1875
11-02-2010, 08:19 PM

Boyd booked for smiling and showing his fat tummy to Falkirk fans - booking
MacLean gives "come one boys" to the Hibs fans - no booking

Doesn't make sense to me.

Thought someone on here said MacLean was a Hibs fan - didn't look like it from his OTT celebration.

lapsedhibee
11-02-2010, 09:30 PM
Boyd booked for smiling and showing his fat tummy to Falkirk fans - booking
MacLean gives "come one boys" to the Hibs fans - no booking

Doesn't make sense to me.

Nor to me. That should be straight red, anywhere on or off the pitch.

jabis
11-02-2010, 09:34 PM
I didn't buy it - Christmas dip present!

thats just sad :greengrin

mikethehibee69
11-02-2010, 11:29 PM
Yes the East Stand assistant ref for one:wink::thumbsup::faf:

ACLeith
12-02-2010, 07:00 AM
The linesman at the East Stand side was James Bee. I knew James about 20 odd years ago and went to his 21st b/day party where he and his family members gave a rather loud rendition of Hearts Hearts Glorious Hearts.:hmmm:

I knew him when he was a wee laddie in the BB in Leith. And yes, he was always wearing a Hearts top, I did my best to make him see sense but failed miserably.

I happened to meet up with him again a few years ago and told him where we sit in the West stand and that if he was running the line at our side and got offsides wrong then he would get pelters from us. He replied that as i had taught him the basic rules of the game when he was 9 years old for badge work it would be my fault for telling him wrong back then :greengrin

I did not realise it was him on Wednesday, but I now see that what happened was all down to me :boo hoo:. So , if the 2 points we dropped turns out to be vital for where we finish at the end of the season then I will arrange to sit in a bath of champagne outside the ground ..... baked beans is just so last-season :wink:

blackhibee
12-02-2010, 02:25 PM
I agree that Thomson is the worst ref I've seen THIS season, but doesn't come close to Freeland in terms of incompetence. Anybody who remembers the Falkirk game that day I would hope would agree with me.

--------
12-02-2010, 02:32 PM
Aye it was.

Watched the highlights with a friend who's a Grade Two ref and his son, who's also a Grade two ref, heading towards Grade One. They were absolutely clear - if the player has his hand above his head like that, and the ball strikes that hand and is deflected, it's a penalty. End of.

'Hand to ball' and stuff is irrelevant in circumstances like that. THEIR words, now mine.

I'm only passing on what was told to me by guys who know. :cool2:

BTW - he was also very clear about the disallowed Motherwell goal. Bad mistake, expects the assistant involved to be called up to explain himself.

AFKA5814_Hibs
12-02-2010, 04:12 PM
I knew him when he was a wee laddie in the BB in Leith. And yes, he was always wearing a Hearts top, I did my best to make him see sense but failed miserably.

I happened to meet up with him again a few years ago and told him where we sit in the West stand and that if he was running the line at our side and got offsides wrong then he would get pelters from us. He replied that as i had taught him the basic rules of the game when he was 9 years old for badge work it would be my fault for telling him wrong back then :greengrin

I did not realise it was him on Wednesday, but I now see that what happened was all down to me :boo hoo:. So , if the 2 points we dropped turns out to be vital for where we finish at the end of the season then I will arrange to sit in a bath of champagne outside the ground ..... baked beans is just so last-season :wink:

I didn't realise it was him during the game as I sit in the West Upper, it wasn't until I watched the game again on BBC Alba and heard his name being mentioned, James Bee in English is James Bee in Gaelic. :greengrin

He did flag Nacho Novo offside in the last minute of our 1-1 game at Ibrox earlier on in the season, so's he done alright there for a Jambo. :wink:

pedroorange1875
12-02-2010, 09:37 PM
Another fan who doesn't know the laws of the Game but thinks that they must be correct and the guys who do the job are wrong!
Quite simple, offside if he gains an advantage from being in an offside position when the ball is played forward.

read the rules again its not as clear cut as your smart arz response, never said i thought i was correct hence the question mark at the end of the sentence and my understanding after it

sairheid
13-02-2010, 03:23 PM
Apart from their incompetency, all that these two have in common is that they're both about 6ft 3. It was clear when they were both suddenly parachuted into Grade 1 that they were the product of some hare-brained thinking that taller refs could handle matches better. I cringe when either trot out at ER.

Hibernian Verse
13-02-2010, 03:26 PM
Re: offsides, I thought they were all spot on. For the one I think everyone's getting at Nish was well offside and I even went, "he's offside" as the ball was played, cue the east stand giving the correct linesman abuse :greengrin

ancient hibee
13-02-2010, 03:49 PM
Re the handball-from the passed on comments of referees it just shows how poor they are.It doesn't matter whether a player is facing or back to or hands above the head when he handles the ball.The only stipulation is that it MUST be deliberate.

hibbybrian
13-02-2010, 04:02 PM
Re the handball-from the passed on comments of referees it just shows how poor they are.It doesn't matter whether a player is facing or back to or hands above the head when he handles the ball.The only stipulation is that it MUST be deliberate.

I think that if the referee considers that a player deliberately spreads or raises his arms to make himself a bigger blocking area and the ball is hit against his arms it is considered deliberate :wink:

greenlex
13-02-2010, 04:07 PM
I think that if the referee considers that a player deliberately spreads or raises his arms to make himself a bigger blocking area and the ball is hit against his arms it is considered deliberate :wink:
What if he has just raised his arms as everyone does to jump to head the ball?
The ball then comes of his head and hits his arm. I am not a rules officiando but I thought it was and still do think it was soft and like I say if it had been up the other end would have been raging.

fife hfc
13-02-2010, 04:09 PM
Re: offsides, I thought they were all spot on. For the one I think everyone's getting at Nish was well offside and I even went, "he's offside" as the ball was played, cue the east stand giving the correct linesman abuse :greengrin

Wrong! I watched the whole game again this morning (woke up at 5am and son had sky+ it) and Stokes was ONSIDE when he scored in the first half, if not by a yard then at least level.

hibbybrian
13-02-2010, 04:13 PM
What if he has just raised his arms as everyone does to jump to head the ball?
The ball then comes of his head and hits his arm. I am not a rules officiando but I thought it was and still do think it was soft and like I say if it had been up the other end would have been raging.

I reckon it comes down to whether the ref considers it to be a natural movement in jumping or deliberately making a big target for blocking.

I remember a penalty was given against Pat McGinlay at ER for just such an event where there was no intent :grr:

--------
13-02-2010, 04:26 PM

The Law:

Direct Free Kick

A direct free kick is awarded to the opposing team if a player commits any
of the following seven offences in a manner considered by the referee to be
careless, reckless or using excessive force:

• kicks or attempts to kick an opponent
• trips or attempts to trip an opponent
• jumps at an opponent
• charges an opponent
• strikes or attempts to strike an opponent
• pushes an opponent
• tackles an opponent

A direct free kick is also awarded to the opposing team if a player commits any
of the following three offences:

• holds an opponent
• spits at an opponent
• handles the ball deliberately (except for the goalkeeper within his own
penalty area)

A direct free kick is taken from the place where the offence occurred
(see Law 13 – Position of Free Kick).

Penalty Kick

A penalty kick is awarded if any of the above ten offences is committed by
a player inside his own penalty area, irrespective of the position of the ball,
provided it is in play.

The only question is whether the referee considers that the player handled the ball deliberately or not. Of which he is the sole judge.

Decisions of the Referee

The decisions of the referee regarding facts connected with play, including
whether or not a goal is scored and the result of the match, are final.

The referee may only change a decision on realising that it is incorrect or, at his
discretion, on the advice of an assistant referee or the fourth offi cial, provided
that he has not restarted play or terminated the match.

So in this incident, the question is whether the Aberdeen defender had raised his hand inadvertently above his head (where the ball just happened to be) or whether he did it with the intention of making himself taller with a view to making it more difficult for the Hibs player to play the ball.

The referee decided there was intention, and gave the penalty. I'm persuaded 100% he was right. And truly, I wouldn't really argue if it had been the other way round at the other end. Hand went to ball. Ref gave the pen. End of.