PDA

View Full Version : NHC West Ham should bid for Petrie

Jack
09-02-2010, 02:24 PM
What a mess and although they haven’t bid for the Iron Moustache its what they need to pull their club around.

Here’s a few of the outrageous snippets from the BBC (http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/teams/w/west_ham_utd/8505540.stm)

West Ham co-owner David Sullivan will ask all the players and staff at the debt-ridden club to take a voluntary wage cut at the end of the season.

Sullivan also says the Premier League club, who have debts of £110m, will face "Armageddon" if they go down.

Sullivan also revealed that manager Gianfranco Zola would be among those expected to take a pay cut at the end season and added anyone unhappy with the request could leave the club.

"Everywhere you look there is excess. Everyone is overpaid for the job they do. There are 110 mobile phones being paid for by the club and you have minor people with Blackberry phones and other types.

"I can't believe the contracts I've inherited," added Sullivan.

"We had a player liaison officer who just drove a few of the players around and he was paid £50,000 a year," revealed Sullivan.

"We've had to make people redundant, we'll make other people redundant. There are people at the training ground who we don't even know what they do, there are so many people there. When we spend money we have to make it count."

Well they're not getting him!

SvenNeil
09-02-2010, 03:53 PM
They could'nt afford the tashed one.

What a mess of a club and you wonder who allowed this to get to such a state. £50k a year to drive a few players around sounds a no bad job :greengrin

Apparently, Petrie gets his missus to drive him around - and he walks allot :wink:

Gerard
09-02-2010, 04:07 PM

What a mess of a club and you wonder who allowed this to get to such a state. £50k a year to drive a few players around sounds a no bad job :greengrin

Apparently, Petrie gets his missus to drive him around - and he walks allot :wink:

Uncle Rodney is not for sale:wink:
unless the fee is mega:wink:
G

KerPlunk
09-02-2010, 04:10 PM
The Moustache With The Cash

Jan 23 2008 Keith Jackson

ROD PETRIE is not everyone's cup of Tetley. And I'm almost certainly not his.
But Scottish football owes this little man and his iron mouser a great debt. This January it's rising by the day.
Before the month is out the value of Scottish players is likely to have soared to an all-time high.
And Petrie's fingerprints will be all over the launch button.
He's intransigent, awkward, stubborn and at times, according to those with whom he does his business, almost impossible to deal with.
From a media point of view the man is a nightmare given his reluctance to co-operate or even come to the phone.
He runs his football club like a recluse. A modern-day prospector.
But there really is gold in them there hills and even though Petrie might not be found halfway up Arthur's Seat wearing tatty denim dungarees and fingering through nuggets in his sieve, he has shown all of Scotland the way to get rich quick.
This time 12 months ago Petrie began a one-man crusade to drive up the value of emerging Scottish talent.
There were those of us - yes, hands up, myself included - who could make no sense of it.
In fact his indignant refusal to line the nest at Easter Road with the first decent offers he received for the likes of Kevin Thomson and Scott Brown seemed downright absurd.
On the final day of last season's January transfer window Petrie stuck firmly to his guns and turned down an offer worth around £5million from Rangers for both midfielders. It seemed to many like an act of madness.
In fact it was actually a stroke of genius.
Thomson was allowed to leave for £2m. Brown stayed just long enough to lift the CIS Cup before Celtic were spooked into laying out some £4.5m for his services alone.
And, all of sudden, Petrie had successfully and single-handedly forced Scottish football out of the poor house and into the 21st century.
Be in no doubt, his hard-nosed approach has not only safeguarded the medium to long-term future of his own club - it also raised the ante right across the board.
If he was raking in a standard £2m fee for his players then why, for example, should Kilmarnock settle for less.
Rangers want Steven Naismith? Then it's £2m or no deal. And so £2m it was.
Not great news for David Murray, perhaps, but terrific business for a provincial club that had previously allowed itself to be squeezed too hard too often when the big boys came calling.
In between times, of course, a Scottish transfer record was set when keeper Craig Gordon left Hearts for a fee of £9m and joined Sunderland.
Like Petrie before him, Vladimir Romanov was bold enough to hold out until the price was right. He now wants almost £4m for Andrius Velicka.
Yep, no longer is Scottish football prepared to bend over obediently and gratefully.
And the big hits just keep on coming. Birmingham want David Murphy?
Tere was hardly any point in slapping a £1.5m offer on Petrie's desk. Of all people, Alex McLeish should have known the going rate. Just for his cheek let's make it £2.5m.
Honestly,it must be like walking into the Dragon's Den when you're after one of Petrie's players but the spin-offs are massive and all inclusive - and even the Old Firm are benefiting.
They may have been snarling at Petrie when they wanted to raid his dressing room and found him wedging himself across the door but, in fact, they really ought to be thanking him for putting millions on the price of their own top-team stars.
This time last year Alan Hutton wouldn't have raised £900,000 in a car boot sale. Now he's just one last good talking to from Murray away from becoming a Spurs player for £9m or possibly even £10m.
Daniel Cousin cost £700,000 in August. In six months his value in the market has soared by £2.3m.
By this morning his £3m fee will have taken the total spending of Premiership clubs in the January sales to almost £100m.
And when Artur Boruc decides his time is up in Glasgow he is unlikely to leave Parkhead for anything under £12m - perhaps even a great deal more.
Yes, these are heady days for the number crunchers who owe it all to one-time accountant Petrie, perhaps the most unlikely hero in the history of the Scottish game. Sure, he might be tighter than a dead heat with a miserly attitude towards his managers.
But hey, would you trust John Collins with your millions? Nope, me neither.
Perhaps Mixu Paatelainen will enjoy better fortune. Perhaps not.
One thing, however, is certain. After many years of price freezing Scottish football is finally thawing out this winter and catching up with inflation. Thank Rod for that.

:notworthy:

P.S. Sullivan is saying "I can't believe the contracts I've inherited" - bit weird, I thought "due diligence" was a standard procedure prior to shelling out 50 million ?

--------
09-02-2010, 04:28 PM

As the man says, West Ham aren't the only EPL clubs to be deep in the mire.

I really think there's going to be a major crash in Englsih football soon - Portsmouth are in dreadful trouble, now West Ham.... Who else?

But they're not getting the Iron Mouser - he's ours.

Woody1985
09-02-2010, 04:38 PM
I believe blackberries are around 1k a year each for corporate rental. Not 100% sure though but that's the figure I was told when some of the people in my area started getting ideas above their station, and subsequently told to piss off. :faf:

iwasthere1972
09-02-2010, 05:02 PM
110 mobile phones. :dizzy:

Bet they're all on longer contracts than the players and more difficult to wangle out of if I know Vodafone. :greengrin