PDA

View Full Version : Easter Road pitch

Mickey Edwards
09-02-2010, 01:47 PM
Has it been improved since St Mirren ?

....better pitch = I am confident of 3rd, maybe second

....same pitch and we'll struggle {maybe need a few last minute og's to save the day}

Keith_M
09-02-2010, 02:03 PM
Has it been improved since St Mirren ?

Nope!

Mickey Edwards
09-02-2010, 02:35 PM
given that the grass isn't gonna grow during the season because we still play in a winter league, could it not just be rolled ? ...or is that just old-fashioned.:confused:

I think it will be the biggest obstacle for the team during the run-in . OF aside , I think we would cut teams open on a decent surface.

scott7_0(Prague)
09-02-2010, 02:41 PM
given that the grass isn't gonna grow during the season because we still play in a winter league, could it not just be rolled ? ...or is that just old-fashioned.:confused:

I think it will be the biggest obstacle for the team during the run-in . OF aside , I think we would cut teams open on a decent surface.

What is this winter league you are talking about?

Gus Fring
09-02-2010, 02:55 PM
What is this winter league you are talking about?

He means we play over the winter instead of having a break like common sense would dictate

Golden Bear
09-02-2010, 03:02 PM
Nope!

Well strangely enough I though the surface was marginally better (but still poor) against Montrose.

scott7_0(Prague)
09-02-2010, 03:04 PM
He means we play over the winter instead of having a break like common sense would dictate

And how would having a break be common sense?

Have you forgot how the Scottish spring, summer and autumn are very similar to the winter, with the exception of the snow we just had!

--------
09-02-2010, 03:08 PM

:agree:

If we insist on playing on grass pitches, we need to have a break in the winter months when the grass isn't growing.

If we're going to insist on playing our season August-May without a break, we should be playing on synthetic pitches.

That way the teams that play a passing game with the ball on the deck would be advantaged, and the whole game would improve.

And the only concern regarding the playing/postponement of matches would be the safety and convenience of the spectators getting to the ground.

jakedance
09-02-2010, 03:09 PM
It didn't look to me like the pitch held us back nearly as much against Montrose as it did against St Mirren, where the ball was bobbling about all over the place.

Mickey Edwards
10-02-2010, 11:17 AM
It didn't look to me like the pitch held us back nearly as much against Montrose as it did against St Mirren, where the ball was bobbling about all over the place.

That 'll do for me....Tam must've had the big Clydesdale and the roller out

:flag:

Oh and when I said winter league I meant that we play during the months when grass doesn't grow {needs to be above 6 degrees} so it can't repair itself.......I appreciate that the weather is crap all year round but outwith Dec / Jan / Feb you're likely to get daytime temps consistently above 6 degrees.

...........anyway, as long as it's flat we'll be fine :thumbsup:

Baw187
10-02-2010, 11:28 AM

Oh and when I said winter league I meant that we play during the months when grass doesn't grow {needs to be above 6 degrees} so it can't repair itself......:

So that's why I don't have to mow my lawn in winter but it grows like an Amazonian jungle in the summer and needs trimmed every week almost.

Learn a new thing every day!

Antifa Hibs
10-02-2010, 11:31 AM
They have winter fitba doon south and their pitches are like bowling greens. :confused:

Half the battle with us that the team train on Easter Road when it gets freezing as East Mains has no under soil heating. Get some under soil heating at the training ground and the pitch would naturally improve over team. Fk the costs, you can't put a price on a goo pitch when you play the Brazillian stylee fitba that we do week in week out :wink:

Caversham Green
10-02-2010, 11:33 AM

If we insist on playing on grass pitches, we need to have a break in the winter months when the grass isn't growing.

If we're going to insist on playing our season August-May without a break, we should be playing on synthetic pitches.

That way the teams that play a passing game with the ball on the deck would be advantaged, and the whole game would improve.

And the only concern regarding the playing/postponement of matches would be the safety and convenience of the spectators getting to the ground.

The Mad Stad pitch has a combination of synthetic and natural grass - I think it's one synthetic blade to every six natural ones. The pitch sometimes looks a bit dodgy (brown rather than green), but doesn't seem to cut up much and the only postponements have been for snow or torrential rain. They share the ground with London Irish, so it does take a bit of a battering.

gstarbry1875
10-02-2010, 11:34 AM

Oh and when I said winter league I meant that we play during the months when grass doesn't grow {needs to be above 6 degrees} so it can't repair itself.......I appreciate that the weather is crap all year round but outwith Dec / Jan / Feb you're likely to get daytime temps consistently above 6 degrees.

...........anyway, as long as it's flat we'll be fine :thumbsup:

Tam doesn't do the pitch now...they have got a private company in to do it! :confused:

hfc rd
10-02-2010, 11:46 AM
We need to relay it. It is getting worser and it is going to be hard for our players to play decent passing football on a pitch like that.

Hibby Kay-Yay
10-02-2010, 11:51 AM
We need to relay it. It is getting worser and it is going to be hard for our players to play decent passing football on a pitch like that.

Agreed, that way it will be betterer going forward :wink:

Franck is God
10-02-2010, 11:53 AM

If it's good enough for the Champions league it should be good enough for the SPL. I saw Man Utd play in Russia earlier this season on an artificial grass pitch and it looked great and it played really well. Nani probably had his best game for the club as he found it so easy to run with the ball at his feet.

silverhibee
10-02-2010, 01:53 PM

A new pitch will be put down after the new stand is built.

Big Frank
10-02-2010, 05:07 PM

I thought Man Citys pitch looked excellant last night....

down-the-slope
10-02-2010, 05:15 PM
its not the weather thats the sole problem..look at grass elsewhere and you will see it does just fine in rain / cold etc...

Its the undersoil heating that causes the real problem as it drys out soil and causes top surface to break away...and due to slow / little growth in colder months cant develop new roots quickly enough to bind it together

:nerd:

The Voice Of Reason
10-02-2010, 09:50 PM
I am talking about the horrible gluepot of a Pitch !:grr:

In all my years of watching Hibs I can't remember it being as bad.

I was at the game tonight, just back and currently watching it on BBC Alba. The pitch looks far better on TV than it actually is. It really is apalling. :grr:

What is the point of buikding a passing team that plays great football, when on that pitch it is almost impossible to play the ball on the deck. I genuinely felt for the players tonight. :agree:

We really need it sorted and Yogi/The Board must realise this ?!?!?

To finish on a positive, great credit to the players for pulling it back tonight....it wasn't looking good at 0-2 down at half time. Also, thought the attendance was decent :agree: :thumbsup:

davym7062
10-02-2010, 11:05 PM
do we have a groundsman?

what a shambles of a surface that is.:agree:

patlowe
10-02-2010, 11:07 PM
do we have a groundsman?

what a shambles of a surface that is.:agree:

Amen to that. IMPOSSIBLE to play good football on that.

cockneymike
10-02-2010, 11:07 PM
I only saw it on alba, but judging by that, it has to be the worst I've ever seen it!

Mister P
10-02-2010, 11:10 PM
a player has already commented to someone "we'll lose games on that pitch coz we can't get the ball down and play":dunno: just what I've been told.

apparently an official at the club has said "how, whats f* wrong with it, theres nowt wrong with the pitch, it's in perfect shape":confused:

its a tattie field.

wheres that "bring back Tam Mccourt to do the pitch maintenance" petition:whistle:

The Voice Of Reason
10-02-2010, 11:12 PM
I only saw it on alba, but judging by that, it has to be the worst I've ever seen it!

As I posted on another thread, the BBC Alba transmission made the pitch look good !

It was far worse than it appears on TV.

Yogi and The Board must know it is a problem.......it needs sorted and it will/is costing us points.

Brummie_Hibs
10-02-2010, 11:29 PM
As I posted on another thread, the BBC Alba transmission made the pitch look good !

REALLY!!?? :confused: Geez, I thought thought it looked bloody awful on TV (especially the close ups of the pitch which the cameramen were deliberately focusing on) and you're saying it looks worse in real life! That is pretty bad...

silverhibee
10-02-2010, 11:40 PM
a player has already commented to someone "we'll lose games on that pitch coz we can't get the ball down and play":dunno: just what I've been told.

apparently an official at the club has said "how, whats f* wrong with it, theres nowt wrong with the pitch, it's in perfect shape":confused:

its a tattie field.

wheres that "bring back Tam Mccourt to do the pitch maintenance" petition:whistle:

Bit in bold, was told the same, players not happy with pitch.
It needs sorted pronto.

ANDY McGEECHAN
11-02-2010, 05:53 AM

Yogi and The Board must know it is a problem.......it needs sorted and it will/is costing us points.

IS costing us points. That park cost us two points last night and will cost us a few more before the season is out. The players were just gambling on getting a good connection, at one point Anthony Stokes was breaking in front of the East with the ball on the deck when it bounced up and hit him on the knee.
Rodders forget about a centre half or a right back, a new surface would be the best signing we could make right now.

Mickey Edwards
11-02-2010, 07:35 AM
:agree:....there is now much more chance involved as to whether we win or lose games , including the Ross County cup tie.

Can't see what can be done about it if re-laying isn't gonna be done before the new stand is built.......just tough......bummer in this season given that we're right in the mix.......I think we would scoosh third with a decent home surface.

FWIW I think we still will be third but it's gonna be tighter than it should be

{ooooeeerrr matron}

mandy25
11-02-2010, 12:45 PM
Hello every one am a life long hibby:thumbsup: and have been viewing hibs net for years without posting, but after watching the game on Alba last nite and noticing how bad the pitch was i think something has to be done about it. Any pass along the ground was bouncing all over the place leading to miss control from most players at some point from simple passes and as a football playing side this is to our disadvantage and helping teams who play the more direct game like Aberdeen last nite. This also hinders our more skillful players like deek, stokes, zooma and wotherspoon when trying to run at and beat defenders. Since this is our best chance to finish 3rd in the last few years it would surely be in the clubs best interests to relay it. Any thoughts?

brog
11-02-2010, 12:59 PM
:agree:....there is now much more chance involved as to whether we win or lose games , including the Ross County cup tie.

Can't see what can be done about it if re-laying isn't gonna be done before the new stand is built.......just tough......bummer in this season given that we're right in the mix.......I think we would scoosh third with a decent home surface.

FWIW I think we still will be third but it's gonna be tighter than it should be

{ooooeeerrr matron}

Agree 100%, I made exactly the same comment last night. What's the point of having great skill players if we neutralise our advantage byplaying on a coo pat? I don't know how much it would cost to re-lay the pitch now but I'll bet its cheaper than us going out the cup!

Sean1875
11-02-2010, 01:30 PM
Next home games not till the 27th, surely thats enough time to relay the pitch?

crash
11-02-2010, 06:52 PM
Amen to that. IMPOSSIBLE to play good football on that.

Zouma and Benji didn't have any problems playing football. Good players can play on any surface (anyone around in the seventies?).The pitch isn't great, but lets not look for excuses.

NORTHERNHIBBY
11-02-2010, 09:26 PM
I know our pitch is bad but did anyone see the Colchester v Southend match the other night? Seemed to be the same pitch from that milk-shake advert that always gets played during the Soccer AM ad breaks.

jgl07
11-02-2010, 10:15 PM
They have winter fitba doon south and their pitches are like bowling greens. :confused:

Some are, some are not.

I take it you didn't see the Colchester-Southend match last week on Sky?

That pitch looked like a plouged field.

The Easter Road looks OK when compared to Motherwell.

in-me-pocket
12-02-2010, 10:09 AM
In light of the bad press Motherwell are getting about the state of their pitch (justified I'd like to add), I can't help thinking Hibs are getting off lightly.
The Easter Road pitch is an absolute mess to the point it is impossible to play proper football on it.
I think it's about time Hibs took some serious action to remedy the situation as it's not doing the proper footballers we have any favours.
I fact, it's got to the stage that I feel it could even put good footballers off coming to Hibs as it is a complete farce. Stringing 4 or 5 passes together at pace is an impossibility.
The simple solution is to install a heating/lighting system similar to the ones used in England, the best example being at the Emirates. I'm not saying Hibs could afford the same system as Arsenal but surely something on a smaller scale could be achievable ?

Mickey Edwards
30-03-2010, 11:00 AM
Thought I'd bump this, {reflecting on what might have been smilie}........what a long 7 weeks that's been.

A milder winter with less soil subject to undersoil heating and I think we'd probably still be in the cup and closer to Celtic.

{completely pointless and wistful smilie}