PDA

View Full Version : Question Do arsenal sell out and let one of the billionaires in waiting take over?

Hakim Sar
07-02-2010, 08:47 PM
Arsenal have clearly hit the glass ceiling and any other manager might have dragged them down a level.

Even if you love/hate arsenal just looking for an honest answer. Should they sell out or keep going down the honest respectable path that g'tees 3rd place at best each year?

Will be interesting to see how many man u fans bemoan the glazers during may if they win league again.....

Speedy
07-02-2010, 08:51 PM
Arsenal have clearly hit the glass ceiling and any other manager might have dragged them down a level.

Even if you love/hate arsenal just looking for an honest answer. Should they sell out or keep going down the honest respectable path that g'tees 3rd place at best each year?

Will be interesting to see how many man u fans bemoan the glazers during may if they win league again.....

They just can't win the big games. They are really good at beating the rubbish but they haven't won a big game all season(apart from Liverpool, who were murder at the time).

Arsenal will be back in it by the end of March.

GlesgaeHibby
07-02-2010, 08:57 PM

There are still a lot of games to be played between now and the end of the season. After Liverpool on Wednesday, Arsenal have by far the easiest run in of the top 3 clubs.

I wouldn't write them off yet, although it will be very difficult. If Wenger had bought a striker in January they'd probably be better off than they currently are, as Arshavin is wasted up front.

Love the Green
07-02-2010, 08:58 PM

Love the way they play the game..however everyone accept Wenger know that you cannot win anything in the top leagues without cerytain types of players..They need a physivcal prescence in mid field and up front too many lightweights....Time the guys that actually have power at Arsenal tell Wenger to get the team sorted so they can win trophies or piss off with his fantasy footie.......Worried Yogi is going the same way with not 1 defender or midfielder getting some match time yesterday..we have seen benji and zooma many times before and know what tthey can do...ended up 4-2-4 totally unbalanced.

"keep the faith":wink:

Speedy
07-02-2010, 09:23 PM
Love the way they play the game..however everyone accept Wenger know that you cannot win anything in the top leagues without cerytain types of players..They need a physivcal prescence in mid field and up front too many lightweights....Time the guys that actually have power at Arsenal tell Wenger to get the team sorted so they can win trophies or piss off with his fantasy footie.......Worried Yogi is going the same way with not 1 defender or midfielder getting some match time yesterday..we have seen benji and zooma many times before and know what tthey can do...ended up 4-2-4 totally unbalanced.

"keep the faith":wink:

Diaby?

ScottB
07-02-2010, 09:25 PM
Well consider Man Utd won the league last year despite not beating any of the rest of the 'Big 4' and we are mixing it with Celtic despite only 1 victory over the rest of the top 4 or 5 in the SPL. Often beating the lower teams consistently is the key.

Do they need a billionaire owner? Hmmm maybe, as long as the person buying does it Abramovich style and not Glazer 'lets rack up the debt' style. I would say win or lose the Man Utd fans will still protest the Glazers, if they win the league it's inspite of them, not cause of them!

Winston Ingram
07-02-2010, 09:30 PM

I think it's a catch 22. I don't think Wenger would spend the money if it came in. He's never really spent big money on anyone. If the billionaires turned into Vlad and insisted he spent cash when he didn't want to he'd walk. If they lost him they'd be ****ed :greengrin

HibbyAndy
07-02-2010, 09:35 PM
Arsenal are 1% away from a takeover.

I believe that will happen in the summer with the new dude ready to spend millions to challenge for the Title.

allmodcons
07-02-2010, 09:40 PM
Maybe Vlad will buy Arsenal once he's sold Tynecastle for flats, afterall he did say 5 years until Champions League glory.

MWHIBBIES
07-02-2010, 09:40 PM
I dont thind they do.

IMO they just need to spend 30 million on a world class cf and gk and they will have alot better chance.

Today the dominated the second half but had no one to convert the many chances.

greenlex
07-02-2010, 09:42 PM
When the financial bubble in English football goes pop and dont be fooled it eventually will. The Clubs with the least debt will eventually prosper. I think it would be foolhardy to sell out to someone with no passion for the club for the sake of success.

HibbyAndy
07-02-2010, 09:44 PM
I dont thind they do.

IMO they just need to spend 30 million on a world class cf and gk and they will have alot better chance.

Today the dominated the second half but had no one to convert the many chances.

They certainly did :agree:

Agree with what you say, Almunia is decent enough goaly but not world class...Huntelaar or Van nistelroy, One of those kind of predatory goalscorers is what Arsenal need upfront also, Its a blow losing Van Persie, he's a great player, But Arsenal need an Ian Wright or Thierry Henry to bang in the goals EVERY other week.

They aint that shy of the real deal, Just 3 players IMO from realistically challenging for the League and other trophys.

allmodcons
07-02-2010, 09:45 PM
When the financial bubble in English football goes pop and dont be fooled it eventually will. The Clubs with the least debt will eventually prosper. I think it would be foolhardy to sell out to someone with no passion for the club for the sake of success.

:agree: and so hope you' re right about the financial bubble bursting in England.

Marabou Stork
07-02-2010, 09:51 PM

I believe that will happen in the summer with the new dude ready to spend millions to challenge for the Title.

I think Arsenal's level of spending is less down to the owners, and more down to Wenger's stubbornness/pride. Arsenal are a good bit better off than most clubs in England, and it seems to me as if the money is there for Wenger, it's just that he's reluctant to spend it.

HibbyAndy
07-02-2010, 09:53 PM
I think Arsenal's level of spending is less down to the owners, and more down to Wenger's stubbornness/pride. Arsenal are a good bit better off than most clubs in England, and it seems to me as if the money is there for Wenger, it's just that he's reluctant to spend it.

:agree:

He can be a bit of a twat Wenger :agree:

Pretty Boy
07-02-2010, 09:57 PM
I'm sick to the back teeth of hearing how great Arsenal are, how good they are to watch and all the other guff that gets written and said about them.

At the end of the day they have won the square root of FA for nearly 5 years. The teams that are truly great to watch are the Manchester United and Barcelona off the world. Teams who can scrape out results when they don't play well, teams who can soak up pressure and devastate on the counter attack, teams who can at times play breathtaking football but also dig in for a win when they need too.

I'm sorry but making 20 passes in a row and scoring hatfuls at home to the Wigans and Hulls of the world means nothing to me if you go away the next week and lose to Stoke. The Arsenal performace against Man Utd last week and Chelsea today shows exactly why they are once again not serious title contenders.

HibbyAndy
07-02-2010, 10:01 PM
I'm sick to the back teeth of hearing how great Arsenal are, how good they are to watch and all the other guff that gets written and said about them.

At the end of the day they have won the square root of FA for nearly 5 years. The teams that are truly great to watch are the Manchester United and Barcelona off the world. Teams who can scrape out results when they don't play well, teams who can soak up pressure and devastate on the counter attack, teams who can at times play breathtaking football but also dig in for a win when they need too.

I'm sorry but making 20 passes in a row and scoring hatfuls at home to the Wigans and Hulls of the world means nothing to me if you go away the next week and lose to Stoke. The Arsenal performace against Man Utd last week and Chelsea today shows exactly why they are once again not serious title contenders.

Did you read the whole thread or just what you wanted to read ?.

Pretty Boy
07-02-2010, 10:05 PM
Did you read the whole thread or just what you wanted to read ?.

I wasn't particularly referring to anything anyone else had said on the thread. This just seemed like as good a place as any to unleash the venom that has been building up inside me regarding the medias(and certain indivduals) praise of Arsenals style of football for some time.

That ok with you aye? Or do you want to proof read all my post before i make them?

HibbyAndy
07-02-2010, 10:09 PM
I wasn't particularly referring to anything anyone else had said on the thread. This just seemed like as good a place as any to unleash the venom that has been building up inside me regarding the medias(and certain indivduals) praise of Arsenals style of football for some time.
That ok with you aye? Or do you want to proof read all my post before i make them?

No one is really praising Arsenal's style of football, its more of a question can/will/maybe new owners/when make Arsenal genuine title contenders in the foreseeble future.

That ok with you?

Pretty Boy
07-02-2010, 10:15 PM
No one is really praising Arsenal's style of football, its more of a question can/will/maybe new owners/when make Arsenal genuine title contenders in the foreseeble future.

That ok with you?

The simple fact is Arsenal have plenty money to spend as it is. It's not a lack of money thats causing a lack of success, it's they way they play and the single mindedness/arrogance of their manager.

Fresh investment is unlikely to change that. It's no secret Arsenal were at their most successful and, IMO, best when they had experienced pros like Vieira, Pires, Campbell, Bergkamp and so on. Wenger has decided to take the club down a different road now with minimal expenditure and a focus on young talent. A nice idea that deserves a certain ammout of praise, unfortunately as of yet it has proved unsuccessful if measured in trophies, league titles and European runs.

Therefore i think my original point still has a relevance to the thread. Even if it did come appear a bit of a rant.

:wink:

HibbyAndy
07-02-2010, 10:23 PM
The simple fact is Arsenal have plenty money to spend as it is. It's not a lack of money thats causing a lack of success, it's they way they play and the single mindedness/arrogance of their manager.

Fresh investment is unlikely to change that. It's no secret Arsenal were at their most successful and, IMO, best when they had experienced pros like Vieira, Pires, Campbell, Bergkamp and so on. Wenger has decided to take the club down a different road now with minimal expenditure and a focus on young talent. A nice idea that deserves a certain ammout of praise, unfortunately as of yet it has proved unsuccessful if measured in trophies, league titles and European runs.

Therefore i think my original point still has a relevance to the thread. Even if it did come appear a bit of a rant.

:wink:

Not quite sure where you get Arsenal have plenty money to spend? Who told you that?..Im pretty certain Arsenal moving to the Emirates will have put paid to that theory.

Altho having 60K regular every other week at hame helps bigtime but that pays off the stadium.

it's they way they play and the single mindedness/arrogance of their manager.

You ever listened to Sir Alex Ferguson by any chance?

Pretty Boy
07-02-2010, 10:32 PM
Not quite sure where you get Arsenal have plenty money to spend? Who told you that?..Im pretty certain Arsenal moving to the Emirates will have put paid to that theory.

Altho having 60K regular every other week at hame helps bigtime but that pays off the stadium.

it's they way they play and the single mindedness/arrogance of their manager.

You ever listened to Sir Alex Feguson by any chance?

Arsenal reported record profits this year, i'm assuming that in those accounts they include mortage/loan repayments on their stadium. Wenger himself has often said there is money available if/when he wants it.

The fact is that no teams are spending massively at the top end in England. Chelsea have had a relatively quiet time in the last few windows(by their standards), Man Utd bough Valencia and Berbatov but had to lose their best player to do so and Liverpool had to sell Xabi Alsonso to bring in Aquilani.

Alex Ferguson is single minded, most top managers are. However he has adapted his style and tactics over the years to adapt to how other teams play. Can Wenger say the same? As for his arrogance, maybe it's just me but when you have been as successful as him and, more importantly, comtinue to be successful then i think it's understandable that he has a level of arrogance.

HibbyAndy
07-02-2010, 10:37 PM
Arsenal reported record profits this year, i'm assuming that in those accounts they include mortage/loan repayments on their stadium. Wenger himself has often said there is money available if/when he wants it.

The fact is that no teams are spending massively at the top end in England. Chelsea have had a relatively quiet time in the last few windows(by their standards), Man Utd bough Valencia and Berbatov but had to lose their best player to do so and Liverpool had to sell Xabi Alsonso to bring in Aquilani.

Alex Ferguson is single minded, most top managers are. However he has adapted his style and tactics over the years to adapt to how other teams play. Can Wenger say the same? As for his arrogance, maybe it's just me but when you have been as successful as him and, more importantly, comtinue to be successful then i think it's understandable that he has a level of arrogance.

Put it this way, Ferguson could manage Man Yoo for another 24 years and he will NEVER EVER get his team to go through an entire season unbeaten:cool2:

Can Fergie say the same?

NOLA
07-02-2010, 10:41 PM

And Wenger has said he will walk if he is forced from above to buy 'big name players' for the sake of it, tough call, really like Arsenal, but they can't relie on their young crop coming good while in the meantime not winning a trophy, so Wenger needs to change his view or walk IMO.

Pretty Boy
07-02-2010, 10:42 PM
Put it this way, Ferguson could manage Man Yoo for another 24 years and he will NEVER EVER get his team to go through an entire season unbeaten:cool2:

Can Fergie say the same?

I'm sure when he looks at his Champions League, EPL, Fa cup, league cup and world club cup medals sitting on his shelves he can be pretty philosophical about not going a whole season unbeaten.

Also that pretty much proves my point. The Arsenal 'invincible' team were sensational to watch as well as being successful. The reason: Experienced pros and an ability to win ugly if needs be(which admittedly wasn't too often). For reasons best known to himself Wenger has decided to try something different, thus far it's not worked.

HibbyAndy
07-02-2010, 10:44 PM
And Wenger has said he will walk if he is forced from above to buy 'big name players' for the sake of it, tough call, really like Arsenal, but they can't relie on their young crop coming good while in the meantime not winning a trophy, so Wenger needs to change his view or walk IMO.

Cant argue with any that.

Arsenal are a massive club, Massive..Maybe its time Wenger did walk..Im not into this bringing through the kids lark, Get the millions at there disposal :greengrin

HibbyAndy
07-02-2010, 10:46 PM
I'm sure when he looks at his Champions League, EPL, Fa cup, league cup and world club cup medals sitting on his shelves he can be pretty philosophical about not going a whole season unbeaten.

Also that pretty much proves my point. The Arsenal 'invincible' team were sensational to watch as well as being successful. The reason: Experienced pros and an ability to win ugly if needs be(which admittedly wasn't too often). For reasons best known to himself Wenger has decided to try something different, thus far it's not worked.

See my post below.

Arsenal are one helluva club to take over, Step over Man Yoo :cool2:

lapsedhibee
08-02-2010, 12:06 AM
Almunia is decent enough goaly but not world class...Huntelaar or Van nistelroy, One of those kind of predatory goalscorers is what Arsenal need upfront also, Its a blow losing Van Persie, he's a great player, But Arsenal need an Ian Wright or Thierry Henry to bang in the goals EVERY other week.

They aint that shy of the real deal, Just 3 players IMO from realistically challenging for the League and other trophys.

Of the team that played today (and with a better run of the ball could easily have won), only two players imo short of a trophy winning side: (1) Walcott and (2) Bendtner. Both have played on and off in the first team for about two years and neither has shown any worthwhile improvement. It still baffles me how Bendtner gets a game at all. Today when he came on it was as if the team had turned up a man short and drafted the bus driver in to make up an eleven.

If Drogba played for Arsenal they would saunter the EPL.