PDA

View Full Version : yogi wants return of reserve league

forthhibby
07-02-2010, 01:37 PM
according to papers this morning yogi is wanting the reserve league to be reinstated, hopefully he gets his wish as it's been sadly missed, especially with the squad of players we have just now

Ed De Gramo
07-02-2010, 01:40 PM
according to papers this morning yogi is wanting the reserve league to be reinstated, hopefully he gets his wish as it's been sadly missed, especially with the squad of players we have just now

:top marks

Yogi is spot on, the reserve league is a must because we have a strong second eleven that need to be playing on a regular basis so they can show the gaffer why they should be in the first 11 :agree:

sixtwo
07-02-2010, 01:47 PM
it seemed strange that it was abolished anyway. I understand it was due to costs.

How do senior players who are not playing in the first team regularly keep match fit?

I have heard we have played a few bounce games against reserve teams in england etc. That surely must cost as much (if not more) as staging reserve games here.

18/03/07
07-02-2010, 06:17 PM
Could do with potter giving his opinion on this,with him being the new Scotland boss,he must want youth players playing football every week rather than playing bounce games now and then:dunno:

forthhibby
07-02-2010, 06:28 PM
i think they should change the rules to allow reserve games to be played at the likes of east mains, etc, this would cut down costs with clubs having to pay to hire junior or 1st, 2nd or 3rd grounds

Carheenlea
07-02-2010, 06:32 PM
I like his thoughts on playing a reinstated reserve league on Friday nights, where the vast majority of fans who work the standard working week would be able to attend.

I used to go along to quite a few reserve games when Thursday nights at Easter Road was the favoured time for fixtures. Had a far greater knowledge of the squad by getting the opportunity to witness players progressing towards the first team.

Hope Yogi gets some backing for his proposals when he raises them at the forthcoming meeting of SPL managers at Hampden this week :agree:

Woody1985
07-02-2010, 06:33 PM
Should never have been scrapped and alternatives looked at. Surely they could have reduced the number of games, regionalised the leagues (if it wasn't already), played with a reduced number of teams (assuming that some wanted to leave due to costs) etc etc.

bruno
07-02-2010, 07:29 PM
I don't think the argument was so much the cost of staging the games more the cost of employing enough full time players to run 2 teams.
A number of spl teams were trying to run squads of 22-24 players.

Woody1985
07-02-2010, 07:50 PM
I don't think the argument was so much the cost of staging the games more the cost of employing enough full time players to run 2 teams.
A number of spl teams were trying to run squads of 22-24 players.

I suppose that makes more sense then.

Has an official forum set up that would allow willing clubs to requests games rather than having to phone around all the time asking if they want a game?

HibeePatrick
07-02-2010, 10:01 PM
I beleive hibs currently play a bounce game every week, often at east mains against other spl reserve teams, first division sides and English reserve sides.

seanraff07
07-02-2010, 10:35 PM
I agree with Yogi and i miss going to a few of the reserve games now and then, also cause players like Byrne, McCormack and Flynn arent getting a look in theirs a good chance they won't be fully match fit which could be a problem for us once injuries start to crawl in.

hibbymark
08-02-2010, 07:45 AM
I heard it was the old firm who wanted it scrapped? The friday night idea

sounds good but the only problem i see would be say Mcbride needed

games returning from injury he couldnt play friday night then saturday.

I still think the reserve league is a must though. I was thinking recently

about guys like Stevenson,McCormack and the like who we all make

judgement on when they get a chance and was then thinking how hard it

must be to get instantly up to spl match pace when they havent

played competitive football for months.

ancient hibee
08-02-2010, 08:25 AM
I suspect there isn't a single supporter who couldn't have told them it was a bad mistake to abolish the reserve league.I just hope we don't fall for the next OF ploy which is to cancel the rule covering the number of young players who have to be in the matchday squad.