PDA

View Full Version : Riordans Raker

Big Frank
07-02-2010, 10:03 AM
Take a boo son. :agree:

What a belter:thumbsup:

If it had come from the boot of any other player, the anti deek squad would have been creaming themselves.

Tremendous son, we're damn lucky to have you:agree::agree:

Toaods
07-02-2010, 10:05 AM
another example showing why his natural ability is wasted when following orders to hug the touchline, as team mates seem almost incapable of passing it to his feet.

Big Frank
07-02-2010, 10:07 AM
another example showing why his natural ability is wasted when following orders to hug the touchline, as team mates eem almost incapable of passing it to his feet.

:top marks

Sandy
07-02-2010, 10:11 AM
another example showing why his natural ability is wasted when following orders to hug the touchline, as team mates seem almost incapable of passing it to his feet.

:top marks Fair enough when he cuts in, but to hug the touchline and be wasted so far out wide is nothing short of criminal.

Franck is God
07-02-2010, 11:42 AM
It's been said before and I'll say it again. He only gets that kind of room to do something special because he starts in a wide position!

The two central defenders went with Stokes and Nish who both made good runs giving him all the space and time he needed to get the ball in front of him and hit it. It was a great goal and certainly his best of the season so far.

Big Frank
07-02-2010, 12:05 PM
It's been said before and I'll say it again. He only gets that kind of room to do something special because he starts in a wide position!

The two central defenders went with Stokes and Nish who both made good runs giving him all the space and time he needed to get the ball in front of him and hit it. It was a great goal and certainly his best of the season so far.

He hit a better one against Hamilton.

"he only gets that kind of room to do something special because he starts in a wide position"
:faf::bye:

Toaods
07-02-2010, 12:09 PM
It was a great goal and certainly his best of the season so far.

well it's certainly his best this month but this season? no way.

God Petrie
07-02-2010, 12:13 PM
Sorry but his best performances have been against Irvine Meadow and Montrose. Let me know when he does anything against legitimate opposition.

His attitude re Stokes is starting to really annoy me too. He is better and scoring more goals than you. Deal with it you selfish little twat.

BroxburnHibee
07-02-2010, 12:15 PM
It was the same last time he was with us - idiots posting pish about his so called lazyness/bad attitude.

We missed him and his goals when he left and I remember this place went into meltdown when he came back.

He's as good a player as I have seen in my time following Hibs - though I don't think I've seen one more unappreciated :greengrin

Toaods
07-02-2010, 12:21 PM
His attitude re Stokes is starting to really annoy me too. He is better and scoring more goals than you. Deal with it you selfish little twat.

selfish and Stokes in the same sentence......how apt...:wink:

Big Frank
07-02-2010, 12:22 PM
It was the same last time he was with us - idiots posting pish about his so called lazyness/bad attitude.

We missed him and his goals when he left and I remember this place went into meltdown when he came back.

He's as good a player as I have seen in my time following Hibs - though I don't think I've seen one more unappreciated :greengrin

Big Frank
07-02-2010, 12:23 PM
Sorry but his best performances have been against Irvine Meadow and Montrose. Let me know when he does anything against legitimate opposition.

:dummytit:

Depressingly bad, on so many levels:bye:

Alfred E Newman
07-02-2010, 12:25 PM

Nonsense. How many of Stokes goals have been assists by by Riordan? How many assists does Stokes have? This anti Riordan stuff is wearing a bit thin. He is a quality player who lacks a bit of pace. If he had that he would not be playing for us.

greenlex
07-02-2010, 12:26 PM
I had a raker this morning. It was indeed a glorious morning. :thumbsup:

TheMentalHibees
07-02-2010, 12:29 PM

I'm pretty sure what Deeks says in the papers is just friendly banter between the two of them.

Hainan Hibs
07-02-2010, 12:34 PM
Deek is scoring from the wide position, keep him there.

Great goal from Riordan yesterday, hopefully we see a few more like that over the rest of the season:notworthy:

GreenPJ
07-02-2010, 12:34 PM
Riordan has been poor for the last two months, hopefully the goal will give him some confidence.

God Petrie
07-02-2010, 12:42 PM
We are in a position where we can attract better players than Riordan i.e Stokes, Gow, Miller. He is no longer as important to the club.

All this nonsense about how Riordan should be played in the middle is also ridiculous. Let's disrupt a proven strikeforce to give Riordan the chance to score goals?

He has done nothing this season - he has struggled to be as influential in a better team. I understand people feel a need to suck him off because he is a Hibs fan but he is becoming a burden to the club with his attitude and off-the-field behavior.

Having players who are regarded as untouchable like Riordan due to their connections with the club is dangerous. I'm a hibs fan not a derek riordan fan.

Franck is God
07-02-2010, 12:44 PM
He hit a better one against Hamilton.

"he only gets that kind of room to do something special because he starts in a wide position"
:faf::bye:

I thought his goal yesterday was better but his goal against Hamilton was good too.

Don't understand why anyone questions his position in the team. He has been managed so far by Bobby Williamson, Tony Mowbray, Gordon Strachan, Mixu (twice), Yogi, George Burley,forgive me if I've forgotten someone. Not one of them has seen him as a central striker. Are they all wrong and you are right?

And I assume your smileys are a clever attempt at telling me I am wrong and an idiot for making such a comment and should go away?

Scouse Hibee
07-02-2010, 12:44 PM

If it had come from the boot of any other player, the anti deek squad would have been creaming themselves.

And if it had come from Nishy it would have been a fluke :wink:

Westie1875
07-02-2010, 12:48 PM
We are in a position where we can attract better players than Riordan i.e Stokes, Gow, Miller. He is no longer as important to the club.

All this nonsense about how Riordan should be played in the middle is also ridiculous. Let's disrupt a proven strikeforce to give Riordan the chance to score goals?

He has done nothing this season - he has struggled to be as influential in a better team. I understand people feel a need to suck him off because he is a Hibs fan but he is becoming a burden to the club with his attitude and off-the-field behavior.

Having players who are regarded as untouchable like Riordan due to their connections with the club is dangerous. I'm a hibs fan not a derek riordan fan.

You sound really bitter, do you have a personal issue with Riordan?

Toaods
07-02-2010, 12:50 PM

It's not the getting played wide thats the problem it's the being told to stay there that strangles our flow. Yes we are attracting better players than in Mixu/JC's spell but Gow is not a better player than Deek, never has been, never will be.

And just to spoil your nonsense about better teams, he has already had an impact in a better team, alongside the likes of Garry O. Broonie,Thomson, Whittaker,etc. IMHO, the opposition are worse than in previous years due to the financial predicament facing all clubs with the loss of TV revenue.

BroxburnHibee
07-02-2010, 12:51 PM

Honestly that statement is ridiculous

Bollocks

IndieHibby
07-02-2010, 12:53 PM

I put up with the other pish you were spouting, but not this.

Miller - will be gone when he has shown his true class in our shop window. We are not capable of signing a player like him in normal cirumstances
Stokes - see above
Gow - might actually sign a permanent deal if we get into Europe and Plymouth retain their current management. We would still need Riordan, however.

Riordan, for a variety of reasons, will probably be happy being at the club he loves and at the top of the wage scale and goal-scoring charts for the majority of the remainder of his career. Long after Stokes, Miller and Gow have moved on.

To suggest otherwise proves you either:

1. Have myopic bias against Riordan
2. Know **** all about football
3. Are a Yam

jdships
07-02-2010, 12:53 PM

Right on the money IMO
gaps open if Stokes/nish do their job pulling defendera awy from the middle

--------
07-02-2010, 12:56 PM

:agree: Same things used to be said about Peter Cormack - he was lazy, he only scored against the weaker opposition, he was a luxury we couldn't afford.

When Forest came in for him, there were many who took the attitude that we were better with the money. Then he moved to Liverpool, and in his time there they won 2 League Championships, 2 UEFA Cups, and the FA Cup. By the time he left Liverpool in 1976 we were well into the long decline to relegation of the later Turnbull years.

Peter wasn't appreciated by many of us until he left us, and a lot of Hibs supporters still don't realise just how good he was.

Deek's a natural footballer who's been working very hard at his game recently. He always has a goal in him, regardless of how well or badly he seems to be playing at any given moment. The goals he scores tend to be the spectacular ones - ones that lift the team's spirits and morale.

But there have always been people who go to football matches and fail to see what's happening right in front of them on the pitch. Deek's a real asset to this club, and no one should forget that.

Franck is God

I agree with a lot of what you have said. There is no place for sentiment at a team with ambition. Positions in the team should be determined by form, if they are playing well enough then fine but a drop in form should see them left out.

I am also a Hibs fan first, I have my favourite players and I like to see them do well but when they are no longer the best option then they need to be left out for the good of the team.

Toaods

Miller - will be gone when he has shown his true class in our shop window. We are not capable of signing a player like him in normal cirumstances
Stokes - see above
Gow - might actually sign a permanent deal if we get into Europe and Plymouth retain their current management. We would still need Riordan, however.

Riordan, for a variety of reasons, will probably be happy being at the club he loves and at the top of the wage scale and goal-scoring charts for the majority of the remainder of his career. Long after Stokes, Miller and Gow have moved on.

3. Are a Yam

:agree:...it was so spiteful it's hard to believe option 3 isn't the likely answer.

Riordans Boots
07-02-2010, 12:58 PM

:top marks :not worth

ballengeich
07-02-2010, 01:03 PM

Why? What's he done wrong now?

Franck is God
07-02-2010, 01:03 PM
It's not the getting played wide thats the problem it's the being told to stay there that strangles our flow.

If he is instructed to stay wide then why have the majority of his goals/goal attempts from open play this season been from a central position. His goal yesterday and his shot from the edge of the box leading to Nish's first goal don't exactly suggest he has orders to stay on the touchline.

When we don't have the ball I'm sure that he has to stay left and track the opposing full back (which he does sometimes) but when we are in possession he can go where he likes, if he drifts left then that is down to his own preference.

God Petrie
07-02-2010, 01:13 PM

Stokes - see above

3. Are a Yam

An articulate post - shame you couldn't resist petty insults.

There is no point even attempting to discuss Riordan's role in the team when this is the level of debate you get.

Toaods
07-02-2010, 01:16 PM
It's not the getting played wide thats the problem it's the being told to stay there that strangles our flow.

If he is instructed to stay wide then why have the majority of his goals/goal attempts from open play this season been from a central position. His goal yesterday and his shot from the edge of the box leading to Nish's first goal don't exactly suggest he has orders to stay on the touchline.

When we don't have the ball I'm sure that he has to stay left and track the opposing full back (which he does sometimes) but when we are in possession he can go where he likes, if he drifts left then that is down to his own preference.

There hasn't to my recollection been a player born yet, who scores most of his goals from the touchline..:confused:

Watch the way he and the bench react throughout the game, the basic plan is as plain as the nose on your face.

He clearly gets frustrated at being stuck out wide awaiting the inevitable misplaced or overhit pass from Rankin, if he even manages to spot Deek waving frantically that 'I'm in space over here'. Perhaps the arrival of Gow will see a better quality of supply from the midfield.

Franck is God
07-02-2010, 01:23 PM

Stokes & Miller have been tried and tested at a higher level already, Stokes was found wanting, Miller did a little bit better. Gow barely played at Rangers and couldn't get into a side at the bottom of the Championship. Hardly suggests that anyone will be kicking our door down for them.

Riordan came back with his tail between his legs, I didn't see a queue of clubs bigger than us waiting to sign him when Celtic were trying to off load him. He has reached the summit of his career with Hibs, he might get a chance at the lower end of the Championship or league 1 but no higher than that.

Part/Time Supporter
07-02-2010, 01:25 PM
It's not the getting played wide thats the problem it's the being told to stay there that strangles our flow. Yes we are attracting better players than in Mixu/JC's spell but Gow is not a better player than Deek, never has been, never will be.

And just to spoil your nonsense about better teams, he has already had an impact in a better team, alongside the likes of Garry O. Broonie,Thomson, Whittaker,etc. IMHO, the opposition are worse than in previous years due to the financial predicament facing all clubs with the loss of TV revenue.

:agree:

Weakest Celtic, Aberdeen and Hearts teams in at least five years IMO.

In the cases of Celtic and Hearts, probably more like 15.

Franck is God
07-02-2010, 01:26 PM
There hasn't to my recollection been a player born yet, who scores most of his goals from the touchline..:confused:

Watch the way he and the bench react throughout the game, the basic plan is as plain as the nose on your face.

He clearly gets frustrated at being stuck out wide awaiting the inevitable misplaced or overhit pass from Rankin, if he even manages to spot Deek waving frantically that 'I'm in space over here'. Perhaps the arrival of Gow will see a better quality of supply from the midfield.

You've completely missed my point. He is not instructed to play wide. It is a starting position and that's it. Thierry Henry played the exact same position for Arsenal & now Barca, would you say he was wasted on the left?

ancient hibee
07-02-2010, 01:30 PM

So this proven strike force doesn't include Riordan the second top goal scorer?Certainly an interesting concept.As for your insulting comment about sucking him off I think this says more about your personal habits than mine.

Ed De Gramo
07-02-2010, 01:36 PM
Why fix something that isn't broken?

Were winning, Deek's scoring so why change that?

People can sit and bump their gums all they want on here, its no gonna make Yogi change the way the team's playing.

Toaods
07-02-2010, 01:43 PM
You've completely missed my point. He is not instructed to play wide. It is a starting position and that's it. Thierry Henry played the exact same position for Arsenal & now Barca, would you say he was wasted on the left?

entirely different players of course, but the most obvious difference is that Henry has exceptional pace and starting him out wide left enabled him to create his own space when moving inside.

I also recall him starting as an out-and-out front of the attack striker and he was kack.

Fo rme Deek would be best deployed in teh traditional inside left role /modern day behind the main two strikers role that Nish tends to be allocated.

Riordans Boots
07-02-2010, 01:46 PM

I won't even take the bait here - but just to say that if you post with such negativity, you are bound to get confrontation from other fans/posters.

How does the saying go again ... :rolleyes: Oh yes it's "If the shoe doesn't fit - don't wear it"

Part/Time Supporter
07-02-2010, 01:48 PM
entirely different players of course, but the most obvious difference is that Henry has exceptional pace and starting him out wide left enabled him to create his own space when moving inside.

I also recall him starting as an out-and-out front of the attack striker and he was kack.

Fo rme Deek would be best deployed in teh traditional inside left role /modern day behind the main two strikers role that Nish tends to be allocated.

That position requires a certain amount of midfield digging. The other consideration is that until Gow was signed, the only players who could play wide left in Yogi's preferred system are Galbraith and (maybe) Rankin. And even Gow is more likely to play in that Nish role.

Part/Time Supporter
07-02-2010, 02:47 PM

Name a winger (for that is what he is presently) in Europe with more goals than Riordan this season.

:wink:

down-the-slope
07-02-2010, 03:02 PM

Toads - this highlights the polarised discussion here - Deeks sclafs 3 shots yesterday when in good positions and fails to get round his man once..he scores a cracker and assists in another and none of that matters.

Rankin is one of best players yesterday and rounds defender to cross assist for second as well as many other things...but that is never enough (or would not even be recognised by some):rolleyes:

Ed De Gramo
07-02-2010, 03:07 PM
Toads - this highlights the polarised discussion here - Deeks sclafs 3 shots yesterday when in good positions and fails to get round his man once..he scores a cracker and assists in another and none of that matters.

Rankin is one of best players yesterday and rounds defender to cross assist for second as well as many other things...but that is never enough (or would not even be recognised by some):rolleyes:

Exactly :agree:

When one of the fans favourites makes an error, it's put down to bad luck...pretty sad that Rankin & Hoggy continually get slated on here when 'others' can do nowt wrong

Baldy Foghorn
07-02-2010, 03:10 PM
Exactly :agree:

When one of the fans favourites makes an error, it's put down to bad luck...pretty sad that Rankin & Hoggy continually get slated on here when 'others' can do nowt wrong

Add Nishy to your list of bashees, and you make a good point

onemcnamara
07-02-2010, 03:20 PM

Are you serious? There are better players in the team this season! Just watch the ones that move on. Miller, Bamba, Stokes, and the one that's getting compared by some to Pat Stanton - Kevin McBride. Last season - Fletcher. And where your ratings put Franck sauzee is difficult to comprehend.

And underappreciated. I've never seen a Hibs player more universally appreciated. So much so that you're called a yam if you dare to criticise him.

Yes he was better yesterday but we were playing Montrose. Remember that. And who do we drop for Wednesday. Nish scored 2 goals. Zemmama completely changed the game when he came on. His injection of pace and skill infected the whole team. Benji was very good and scored. As was Gow.

To say as some have on this thread that he's brilliant and we shouldn't criticise him because he'll still be here after others have moved on (I think that's how the argument goes) is bizarre. I also remember him doing the dirty on us in very sneaky way once before. Don't kid yourself that he wouldn't move on again if another offer comes in.

Saying all that I do actually think he's a very good player, but he's not a left winger. he's a forward who plays on the left side of the forward line. IMO we'd win games more comfortably if we played a proper 4-4-2 and dominated midfield providing a proper platform for the strikers. For Riordan to fit into that team he'll have to play up front. That can't be a problem for the best player to play for Hibs in living memory can it?

Ed De Gramo
07-02-2010, 03:24 PM
Are you serious? There are better players in the team this season! Just watch the ones that move on. Miller, Bamba, Stokes, and the one that's getting compared by some to Pat Stanton - Kevin McBride. Last season - Fletcher. And where your ratings put Franck sauzee is difficult to comprehend.

And underappreciated. I've never seen a Hibs player more universally appreciated. So much so that you're called a yam if you dare to criticise him.

Yes he was better yesterday but we were playing Montrose. Remember that. And who do we drop for Wednesday. Nish scored 2 goals. Zemmama completely changed the game when he came on. His injection of pace and skill infected the whole team. Benji was very good and scored. As was Gow.

To say as some have on this thread that he's brilliant and we shouldn't criticise him because he'll still be here after others have moved on (I think that's how the argument goes) is bizarre. I also remember him doing the dirty on us in very sneaky way once before. Don't kid yourself that he wouldn't move on again if another offer comes in.

Saying all that I do actually think he's a very good player, but he's not a left winger. he's a forward who plays on the left side of the forward line. IMO we'd win games more comfortably if we played a proper 4-4-2 and dominated midfield providing a proper platform for the strikers. For Riordan to fit into that team he'll have to play up front. That can't be a problem for the best player to play for Hibs in living memory can it?

Correct me if i'm wrong....but we're having one of our best seasons, went on unbeaten runs and generally scoring for fun...I would say Deek has fitted into the team and there's no need to alter a winning squad just to keep a player happy

onemcnamara
07-02-2010, 03:30 PM
I disagree. I think there's room for improvement. The only teams I've seen us give a really good beating to are Motherwell and Hamilton.

To go on and take third spot, and maybe even better, we have to be raising our game for the last few months.

hibeeleicester
07-02-2010, 03:36 PM
we are in a position where we can attract better players than riordan i.e stokes, gow, miller. He is no longer as important to the club.

All this nonsense about how riordan should be played in the middle is also ridiculous. Let's disrupt a proven strikeforce to give riordan the chance to score goals?

He has done nothing this season - he has struggled to be as influential in a better team. I understand people feel a need to suck him off because he is a hibs fan but he is becoming a burden to the club with his attitude and off-the-field behavior.

Having players who are regarded as untouchable like riordan due to their connections with the club is dangerous. I'm a hibs fan not a derek riordan fan.
ltyf

Spike Mandela
07-02-2010, 03:50 PM

Another 8 goals for this 'overappreciated' striker and only the famous five and Joe Baker will have more league goals for Hibs than him.

When he kicks his last ball for Hibs and time mists the memory he will be given legendary status for his acheivements.

Those who like to criticise have every right to do so and if they can't bear watching Deek's workrate they should dig out some old Gareth Evans videos and watch that, won't see many goals though:devil:

For me I prefer to enjoy the exploits of the best Hibs striker I have ever seen whilst I can forgive him the minor flaws in his game that others get so worked up about. Enjoy whilst we can IMO........

1. L Reilly 252 apps 187 goals
2. E Turnbull 349 apps 149 goals
3. W Ormond 354 apps 132 goals
4. Go Smith 308 apps 126 goals
5. J Baker 140 apps 114 goals
6. B Johnstone 195 apps 100 goals
7. J O' Rourke 216 apps 81 goals
8. P Cormack 201 apps 77 goals
9. D Riordan 175 apps 74 goals
10. A Duncan 449 apps 73 goals
11. A MacLeod 208 apps 71 goals

Toaods
07-02-2010, 03:51 PM

I was meaning generally.

Rankin did have one of his best ever games yesterday, he hussled and harried very well. Maybe he realises his position is under serious threat now that Gow is here and Zemamma is hopefully fully fit.

Big Frank
07-02-2010, 03:55 PM
Add Nishy to your list of bashees, and you make a good point

Add "deeksy" to yours!!!!

FFS

Big Frank
07-02-2010, 04:01 PM
Another 8 goals for this 'overappreciated' striker and only the famous five and Joe Baker will have more league goals for Hibs than him.

When he kicks his last ball for Hibs and time mists the memory he will be given legendary status for his acheivements.

Those who like to criticise have every right to do so and if they can't bear watching Deek's workrate they should dig out some old Gareth Evans videos and watch that, won't see many goals though:devil:

For me I prefer to enjoy the exploits of the best Hibs striker I have ever seen whilst I can forgive him the minor flaws in his game that others get so worked up about. Enjoy whilst we can IMO........

Wow! He has 41 games to score 8 goals and go above J O'Rourke.:notworthy:

I really hope he takes over Johnstone.

Saorsa
07-02-2010, 04:04 PM

11. A MacLeod 208 apps 71 goals:top marks

Alfred E Newman
07-02-2010, 04:07 PM
Any "guests " visiting this messageboard must be scatching their heads in amazement at some of the threads on here. What most of them would give to have some of the players slagged off here on a daily basis.

onemcnamara
07-02-2010, 04:08 PM

You-re right he's scored a lot of goals in his time. But I don't think he'll achieve legendary status by playing gash against Celtic, Rangers and Hearts but scoring a raker against Montrose.

If he's as good as you are suggesting then he wouldn't be at Hibs.

Spike Mandela
07-02-2010, 04:15 PM
You-re right he's scored a lot of goals in his time. But I don't think he'll achieve legendary status by playing gash against Celtic, Rangers and Hearts but scoring a raker against Montrose.

If he's as good as you are suggesting then he wouldn't be at Hibs.

Dismissed in one sentance as if it were nothing:faf::faf::faf::faf:

iwasthere1972
07-02-2010, 04:20 PM
Any "guests " visiting this messageboard must be scatching their heads in amazement at some of the threads on here. What most of them would give to have some of the players slagged off here on a daily basis.

:agree: 3rd in the league
Quarters of Scottish Cup to look forward to.
Quality new signings etc, etc, etc

Some folk are at their happiest when having a moan. I propose that Blackpoolhibs become the resident Hibs.net shrink when you think how he has turned his Hibby life around. :greengrin

onemcnamara
07-02-2010, 04:27 PM
Dismissed in one sentance as if it were nothing:faf::faf::faf::faf:

Do you really not think Riordan can play better than he is right now?

Put aside his goals over his whole Hibs career. Which is phenomenal. Do you really think his form in his current position is good. Personally I don't think his current form is great.

And let's face it if he is the best striker we've had for 40 years and is up there with Baker, Reilly, and Turnbull then he should be straight in to the scotland team because we've not exactly been spoilt for choice for strikers over the last 10 years. How many caps has he got again?

Toaods
07-02-2010, 04:30 PM
But I don't think he'll achieve legendary status by playing gash against Celtic, Rangers and Hearts but scoring a raker against Montrose.

:faf::faf::faf:

Here, you'll need this....

http://www.comedyfestival.com.au/information/faq/performers/ (http://www.comedyfestival.com.au/information/faq/performers/)

bighairyfaeleith
07-02-2010, 04:55 PM

:faf: Jambo windup

bighairyfaeleith
07-02-2010, 04:58 PM
Deeks is a great player who we couldn't get better than if we had millions to spend. On top of that he is a hibby who the jambo cants hate. I luv the wee felly (in a platonic fashion, you understand - oh the hibees are gay)

--------
07-02-2010, 05:08 PM

There are three players I'd add in there who scored fewer goals than these guys, simply because they played fewer games - Neil Martin, Alan Gordon, and Joe McBride. But they, like Lawrie Reilly and Joe Baker, were centre-forwards - in other words, the man who led the line, the main goal-scorer.

With Deek we're really talking about an inside-left who scores roughly twice every three games. Which means he should really be compared to Bobby Johnstone, Eddie Turnbull, Jimmy O'Rourke and Peter Cormack in that list - and when he is, he compares very favourably indeed.

This season he's scored 11 goals in 25 starts and one sub appearance. Anthony Stokes has scored 14 in 25. That's a goal a game from our two main strikers together. That's nothing to be complaining about.

Viva_Palmeiras
07-02-2010, 05:12 PM
Simon Le Bon got it all wrong with his lyrics...

His name is Deeko
and he winds up all the yams
He' is a mental hibby - can fight without his hands
And when he scores he really lifts up all the fans
oh Deeko Deeko's goals all tend to be just grand

Hibs90
07-02-2010, 05:13 PM

Well I am a Derek Riordan fan and I think your a prick, that or a yam. Actually, they are the same things anyway. :agree:

Infact lets prove a point.

Derek Riordan -
25 apps (in all comps) -
11 goals (in all comps) -
4 assists -
62 shots hit (SPL) - 34 on target (SPL)

Yeah, Deek has done nothing all season.

Hibercelona
07-02-2010, 05:14 PM
I really don't get the big debate going on here.

It seems like a simple case of "I'm a fan, so that makes me the manager".

Yogi is playing a team which he believes to be the most consistent at picking up points.

Its all fine and dandy changing the squad around so they will hammer a team. But what good is hammering a team 1 week then losing the next?

I'd much rather we won 2-1 one week and 1-0 the next for (6 points) rather than winning 6-0 one week and losing the next for only (3 points).

We're consistent and we're pushing well above our expectations IMO.

Thats good enough for me. :agree:

bighairyfaeleith
07-02-2010, 05:23 PM
I really don't get the big debate going on here.

It seems like a simple case of "I'm a fan, so that makes me the manager".

Yogi is playing a team which he believes to be the most consistent at picking up points.

Its all fine and dandy changing the squad around so they will hammer a team. But what good is hammering a team 1 week then losing the next?

I'd much rather we won 2-1 one week and 1-0 the next for (6 points) rather than winning 6-0 one week and losing the next for only (3 points).

We're consistent and we're pushing well above our expectations IMO.

Thats good enough for me. :agree:

well said:agree:

basehibby
07-02-2010, 05:31 PM

What a load of pish you spout :bitchy:
Do Falkirk, St Johnstone, Motherwell, St Mirren and Hamilton count as legitimate oposition??? They're all SPL sides which Deeks has scored against this season any road.

What is this "attitude" you speak of??? Correct me if I'm wrong but I thought that a number of Stokes' goals have come directly from Riordan assists. No signs of an "attitude there methinks

Show me another player in the SPL who's into double figures playing from midfield then you yourself may come accross as less of a twat with attitude :bye:

Judas Iscariot
07-02-2010, 06:31 PM

Yor a slaver eh

California-Hibs
07-02-2010, 06:58 PM

Your a fud. :agree:

iwasthere1972
07-02-2010, 07:36 PM
Yor a slaver eh

Your a fud. :agree:

:top marks The only two posts that make sense to me and tell it how it really is.

HIBERNIALEITH
07-02-2010, 09:13 PM
Why fix something that isn't broken?

Were winning, Deek's scoring so why change that?

People can sit and bump their gums all they want on here, its no gonna make Yogi change the way the team's playing.

I concur!!!!!!:thumbsup:

Rasta_Hibs
07-02-2010, 09:39 PM

Deeks has a place in the Heart of all Hibs fans i know. He has is flaws but his goals tally for Hibs speaks for its self.

Im sure Deek will play himself back into form.

Great goal yesterday and im sure many would agree thats why they come to the games to see.

Riordans Boots
07-02-2010, 09:41 PM

:top marks :not worth

Just for the record mate - you should seriously subscribe to to Hibs HI and then you can be at liberty to go off oan one :cool2: :dummytit:

chorley_fm
07-02-2010, 10:46 PM

Woody1985
07-02-2010, 11:06 PM
Originally Posted by Spike Mandela

Those who like to criticise have every right to do so and if they can't bear watching Deek's workrate they should dig out some old Gareth Evans videos and watch that, won't see many goals though

Can you imagine other teams in the league having a striker who grew up supporting the team, developed into a 1st team player and then became one of the top scorers the club has ever seen getting the kind of pish that Deeks does?

If it was a Rantic players they'd be creaming themselves that he was the best striker that ever lived e.g. Kris Boyd.

KWJ
08-02-2010, 04:00 AM
So many views flying about in this thread both positive and negative. I think the biggest and most important however are the stats/facts that have been shown.

I don't think Derek is quite what he was in his younger days for whatever reasons but he is a player that makes you stand up, a player that makes you turn up and we're lucky to have him.

The all time Hibernian goalscorer charts make me proud to have seen him pull on a Hibernian shirt and slam many a goal in to the postage stamp corner. It's Derek Riordan that my grand kids will be asking me about not the John Rankins or even Liam Millers.

Another tasty little stat is that he's in line to become the SPL's 3rd highest scorer with another 14 goals.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scottish_Premier_League#Top_scorers

rainman
08-02-2010, 05:19 AM

:dummytit:

Depressingly bad, on so many levels

You sound really bitter, do you have a personal issue with Riordan?

Bollocks

Stokes - see above

3. Are a Yam

So this proven strike force doesn't include Riordan the second top goal scorer?Certainly an interesting concept.As for your insulting comment about sucking him off I think this says more about your personal habits than mine.

Jambo windup

Well I am a Derek Riordan fan and I think your a prick, that or a yam. Actually, they are the same things anyway.

Infact lets prove a point.

Derek Riordan -
25 apps (in all comps) -
11 goals (in all comps) -
4 assists -
62 shots hit (SPL) - 34 on target (SPL)

Yeah, Deek has done nothing all season.

What a load of pish you spout :bitchy:
Do Falkirk, St Johnstone, Motherwell, St Mirren and Hamilton count as legitimate oposition??? They're all SPL sides which Deeks has scored against this season any road.

What is this "attitude" you speak of??? Correct me if I'm wrong but I thought that a number of Stokes' goals have come directly from Riordan assists. No signs of an "attitude there methinks

Show me another player in the SPL who's into double figures playing from midfield then you yourself may come accross as less of a twat with attitude

Yor a slaver eh

Your a fud.

ltyf

Just for the record mate - you should seriously subscribe to to Hibs HI and then you can be at liberty to go off oan one :cool2: :dummytit:

You should know better than to post opinions on Derek Riordan that don't conform to the rest of the board's thinking mate.

Just to confirm, because your opinion differs, you are a bitter, bollocks talking, pish spouting, prick/fud/slaver/yam/jambo on the wind up. LTYF, :dummytit: :bye: :faf: :bitchy: :cool2: :bye:

Sandy
08-02-2010, 06:24 AM
I think you will find that Deeks goal scoring record speaks for itself - ENDOF.

Hainan Hibs
08-02-2010, 07:52 AM
It does make me cringe when I read the reactions to criticism of Riordan.

It's like Riordan has 10 mums on here who have taken offence.

Lads, get some respect for yourselves and stop greeting and getting your knickers in a twist when someone has a different opinion about Riordan.

rainman
08-02-2010, 08:13 AM
It does make me cringe when I read the reactions to criticism of Riordan.

It's like Riordan has 10 mums on here who have taken offence.

Lads, get some respect for yourselves and stop greeting and getting your knickers in a twist when someone has a different opinion about Riordan.

Correct.

Given the abuse other players like Nish, Rankin and Hogg take on here, it's unbelievable the abuse dryan has taken for stating he doesn't rate Riordan as highly as others may.

ancient hibee
08-02-2010, 08:20 AM
Correct.

Given the abuse other players like Nish, Rankin and Hogg take on here, it's unbelievable the abuse dryan has taken for stating he doesn't rate Riordan as highly as others may.
Maybe if he describes you as a c**k sucker you might give him some abuse as well.

Sandy
08-02-2010, 08:22 AM
Maybe if he describes you as a c**k sucker you might give him some abuse as well.

No mate I would just give him a smack in the mouth :greengrin

ancient hibee
08-02-2010, 08:26 AM
No mate I would just give him a smack in the mouth :greengrin
I have taken a vow of non violence to the mentally challenged.

Sandy
08-02-2010, 08:42 AM
I have taken a vow of non violence to the mentally challenged.
:faf::faf::faf:

Calvin
08-02-2010, 08:52 AM
How much space was Riordan presented with for that goal on Saturday? It would be nice if he got that in the SPL every week.

I actually agree with Dryan to an extent. There have been a lot of games where he has been totally ineffectual this season, and his general all-round play isn't that great a lot of the time.

However, this season we've seen him track back and I'm pleased to see an improved work ethic.

One thing he is is a natural finisher, as proven by his place in the all time goalscorers list. Tony Mowbray once said that he's worth having on the pitch because one moment of inspiration can change a game, and he's one of the players that can produce such magic.

I also agree that he is one of the players less likely to be criticised because he's a Hibee.

The criticism of Dryan has been quite pathetic really. Clearly everyone else rates Riordan highly, so well done to the posters who actually put up a constructive counter argument to make their point.

Booked4Being-Ugly
08-02-2010, 08:54 AM
Hibs fans sticking up for Hibs fans favorite - what's all that about eh?

Of all the things to moan about :bitchy: 74 goals for Hibs and he's no longer good enough for us! :wtf: MENTAL!
DEEKS is a Hibs Legend and thank **** he's here!

DEEKO, DEEKO

:notworthy:

Danderhall Hibs
08-02-2010, 09:14 AM
I also agree that he is one of the players less likely to be criticised because he's a Hibee.

I'm not sure that's how it works - look at Nish. If Nish and Stokes missed the same sitter Stokes wouldn't get criticised whereas folk would be out their seat shouting "you're pish" at Nish.

FitbaFolkKen
08-02-2010, 09:19 AM
Deal with it you selfish little twat

Quote:
Originally Posted by dryan
I understand people feel a need to suck him off because he is a hibs fan.

Can i suggest these quotes being the reason folk went nuts, not because the poster doesn't rate Riordan?

ancient hibee
08-02-2010, 10:26 AM
Can i suggest these quotes being the reason folk went nuts, not because the poster doesn't rate Riordan?
Spot on.

Expecting Rain
08-02-2010, 10:32 AM
One of the reasons that makes ER an enjoyable to visit is a player like Derek Riordan and there is no doubt regarding his ability, maybe i`m a perfectionist but i`m never really sure what his best position is and i`d like to see him on the ball more often, the fact that this doesn`t happen isn`t always down to him and i think the aquisition of Gow will be beneficial to both Derek and Stokes and possibly on occasion Nish, here`s hoping.

Bad Martini
08-02-2010, 11:32 AM
****ing priceless...we progress in "that" cup, we score more than one decent goal, we have goals a plenty (though for long enough Riordan WAS scoring more than anyone else - FACT :greengrin) yet STILL, we have a 3 page yamish fighting match about how one of OUR players isny that good ,even though he scores a screamer :confused::confused:

Yams, I could understand behaving like that. Huns, I'd expect it. Celtc and you can both understand and expect it.

This is Hibs FFS. We won. We're no OOT that ****ing cup and STILL, 3 pages of ****ing miserable moaning chat.

P.S. MON THE RIORDAN...:greengrin - I'll take the wonder strikes and lots of them. As for him and Stokes, Im delighted someone else is weighing in with goals because for long enough if it wasn't Riordan scoring, we were ****ed, even when he got 4 nano-seconds from the bench......:rolleyes:

lapsedhibee
08-02-2010, 11:40 AM
How much space was Riordan presented with for that goal on Saturday? It would be nice if he got that in the SPL every week.

And also, if Lofty had been the proper full size for a goalie, he might well have saved it. :devil:

Franck is God
08-02-2010, 12:13 PM
One thing he is is a natural finisher, as proven by his place in the all time goalscorers list. Tony Mowbray once said that he's worth having on the pitch because one moment of inspiration can change a game, and he's one of the players that can produce such magic.

I don't think he is a natural finisher, I agree with the second part that he is capable of a moment of inspiration and can produce fantastic shots like he did on Saturday, he does read the game very well and takes up good positions to score but he wastes a lot of opportunities. He missed an open goal against Dundee United earlier this season, had a great chance one on one with the keeper against St Mirren when the scores were even and he's missed penaties this season too.

I would say that Stokes is a natural finisher, he has some ability on the ball but in the box he is a completely different player.

This is not a criticism of your opinion and also not a negative on Derek's ability. He does take a very good free kick and can hit them from miles out with both feet but as a finisher he is more opportunist and has more in common with a goal scoring midfielder like Lampard or our own Pat McGinlay than an out and out finisher like a Boyd or Stokes.

Mon Dieu4
08-02-2010, 12:18 PM
Judging by the list that has been up we are talking about a guy who is about 14 goals away in all competitions from scoring 100 goals for Hibs, the first player to do so in probably 50 years

Some people are never happy:bitchy:

Mon Dieu4
08-02-2010, 12:26 PM
Actually having just checked it would appear that Deek is on 99 career goals & 87 for Hibs in all competitions :thumbsup:

Keep them coming Deeko :top marks

Malthibby
08-02-2010, 12:41 PM
Agree with McHibee/Ancient Hibee - the response is largely due to the ridiculous language used by Dryan.
I just don't see a place for a Hibs.netter suggesting other fans 'suck him off'.' It's utterly puerile & offensive.
Riordan splits opinion, fine. Personal abuse isn't.
GG

Franck is God
08-02-2010, 05:39 PM
Judging by the list that has been up we are talking about a guy who is about 14 goals away in all competitions from scoring 100 goals for Hibs, the first player to do so in probably 50 years

Some people are never happy:bitchy:

To be fair I don't think anyone that anyone that is suggesting that he is dropped for poor form has at any point quesioned his talent or ability. He deserves his place on that scorers list and if it hadn't been for his lust for the cash along the M8 when he took a big dump on the club then he would have reached and breached that figure a long time ago.

I am one of those that is currently questioning his first team place but only when it is justified. As far as I'm concerned nobodies position should ever be safe and I like a number of others have questioned why Deek appears to be untouchable. His current record is good but not that good.

ancient hibee
08-02-2010, 05:51 PM
Surely Hughes demonstrated when he kept Stokes playing when he couldn't buy a goal that he believes that form is temporary whereas class is permanent.

Alfred E Newman
08-02-2010, 06:18 PM
I don't think he is a natural finisher, I agree with the second part that he is capable of a moment of inspiration and can produce fantastic shots like he did on Saturday, he does read the game very well and takes up good positions to score but he wastes a lot of opportunities. He missed an open goal against Dundee United earlier this season, had a great chance one on one with the keeper against St Mirren when the scores were even and he's missed penaties this season too.

I would say that Stokes is a natural finisher, he has some ability on the ball but in the box he is a completely different player.
This is not a criticism of your opinion and also not a negative on Derek's ability. He does take a very good free kick and can hit them from miles out with both feet but as a finisher he is more opportunist and has more in common with a goal scoring midfielder like Lampard or our own Pat McGinlay than an out and out finisher like a Boyd or Stokes.
seem to remember him completely duffing a shot from 7or 8 yds on Saturday
:dunno:

Toaods
08-02-2010, 07:06 PM
I just don't see a place for a Hibs.netter suggesting other fans 'suck him off'.'

If we win 8-0 at Tynie next month and he scores 5 of them, I'll volunteer to go first.

Gramo's bath of beans would never be heard of again.....:faf:

Hibernating (Im a stoopid yam tramp)
08-02-2010, 08:33 PM
Deek had several sparkling efforts on Saturday, but the BBC showed only the goal and 90 secs of highlights. This despite it being the biggest crowd of the day, AND they showed extended hun highlights that had been on live earlier. I make that about 100 minutes of huns 0-0 dross, and 1 minute of Hibs 5 goals. Well done BBC. :grr:

Franck is God
08-02-2010, 10:42 PM

He did it twice actually and paid for it by being subbed as it just wasn't his day.

In my world nobody is safe from being substituted or dropped.

matty_f
09-02-2010, 07:02 AM

To be fair, I've seen Zidane, Messi, Henry, Gerrard, and many, many others take a fresh air swipe at a football before.

TonyStokeprano
09-02-2010, 10:19 AM
Some Hibs fans dont appreciate how lucky we are to have Derek Riordan. He has been payed on the left of midfield all season, compare his goal and assist stats to all the other wingers/inside forwards in scotland. Aiden McGeady 5 goals and 7 assists and cetic value him at around 10 miion pounds. Novo has 5 goals in 27 games. I think people shoud get of his back.

--------
09-02-2010, 10:21 AM
Some Hibs fans dont appreciate how lucky we are to have Derek Riordan. He has been payed on the left of midfield all season, compare his goal and assist stats to all the other wingers/inside forwards in scotland. Aiden McGeady 5 goals and 7 assists and cetic value him at around 10 miion pounds. Novo has 5 goals in 27 games. I think people shoud get of his back.

Well said, that man.

And welcome. :thumbsup: