PDA

View Full Version : Montrose Fans

Black Kyle
07-02-2010, 08:54 AM
We're quick to criticise the opposition fans at times, so I'd like to thank the Montrose fans for their support yesterday. If they hadn't sung throughout, the atmosphere would have been non- existent.

Their backing of their team was first class and not without some irony and humour ('we're the worst team in Scotland', 'we want one' )et al. Even the one alluding to Hibs fans and heroin raised a smile.

Barney McGrew
07-02-2010, 09:02 AM
With one league win this season, they've not really had a lot to celebrate but they backed their team from start to finish.

The reaction from them when they scored was fantastic :top marks

Hopefully they had a good day out, regardless of the score.

down-the-slope
07-02-2010, 09:18 AM
:agree:

I actually miss the away trips of years ago as over whelming under dog...with very low expectations...in rickity old grounds....fun was garunteed any any small success wildly celebrated. Even the train journeys and hours of travel were a source of entertainment and challenge to over come

Now we have had a few years since Eck (Mixu excepted) of decent football ans some success.....as well as the comfort fo a decently equiped stadium....we have rased our expectations of performance to ridiculous levels...while creating less atmoshpere than a theatre crowd...with fans spending more time critisicing than supporting while in the ground..and travel..well we need to leave early now to ensure we get to our personal transport and not be inconvienienced by the threat of a modest traffic snarl....

:rolleyes: :boo hoo:

Woody70x2
07-02-2010, 09:27 AM
They had a great time throughout the match... SPL yer having a laugh, what a sh*tey home support, shall we sing a song for you... amongst other songs. We were unable to respond.. basically they had more people prepared to sing than us.

:notworthy:

Suppose we weren't drinking buckfast on the way to the match.

Where is Montrose by the way?

matty_f
07-02-2010, 09:45 AM
They had a great time throughout the match... SPL yer having a laugh, what a sh*tey home support, shall we sing a song for you... amongst other songs. We were unable to respond.. basically they had more people prepared to sing than us.

:notworthy:

Suppose we weren't drinking buckfast on the way to the match.

Where is Montrose by the way?

Aye, the Montrose fans put us to shame. Most Hibs fans seemed to turn up and sit on their hands, waiting for the inevitable goals and victory, and were content to just moan as often as they could.

The Montrose fans, on the other hand, were giving it laldy and seemed to have a great time.:top marks

Chuckie
07-02-2010, 09:52 AM
Montrose is just down the road from Forfar.... (not far from Dundee)....

johnrebus
07-02-2010, 09:53 AM
I think we are kidding ourselves here.

Does a ' Montrose ' fan actually exist?

Like every city, town and village in Scotland, hordes of huns and tims leave there for Darkheid or Greyskull every weekend.

That support yesterday consisted of the above and very little else.

:bitchy:

70hibby
07-02-2010, 09:59 AM
Did anyone else notice that they applauded both Riordans and Gow's goals... I can only assume due to the quality of the goals.

Jamesie
07-02-2010, 10:05 AM
Like every city, town and village in Scotland, hordes of huns and tims leave there for Darkheid or Greyskull every weekend.

Well I certainly didn't hear anything to suggest that - in contrast to our last visitors in the Scottish Cup.

I was sitting in the far north end of the West Upper yesterday, mind you.

jakedance
07-02-2010, 10:06 AM

I actually miss the away trips of years ago as over whelming under dog...with very low expectations...in rickity old grounds....fun was garunteed any any small success wildly celebrated. Even the train journeys and hours of travel were a source of entertainment and challenge to over come

Now we have had a few years since Eck (Mixu excepted) of decent football ans some success.....as well as the comfort fo a decently equiped stadium....we have rased our expectations of performance to ridiculous levels...while creating less atmoshpere than a theatre crowd...with fans spending more time critisicing than supporting while in the ground..and travel..well we need to leave early now to ensure we get to our personal transport and not be inconvienienced by the threat of a modest traffic snarl....

One of the best posts I've read on here for a while. Top flight fitba sold it's soul years ago and the Montrose supporters showed us what supporting your team is all about. Meanwhile our support will abuse a striker who is on for a hat trick or complain about people turning up late.

The state of modern fitba was depressingly summed up by the booking for their boy when he scored. The authorities won't be happy until they've risk assessed all the joy out the game.

Golden Bear
07-02-2010, 10:32 AM

:confused:

Absolute nonsense.

Part/Time Supporter
07-02-2010, 10:43 AM

I could see where you were coming from if they had taken down a few thousand (ie multiples of their normal support), but that just looked like their normal home crowd of a few hundred.

The (compulsory?) "SPL yer havin' a laff" was a bit grating, particularly considering that there wasn't anything happening on the pitch to justify it. But that was all, unlike the hun twats in the previous round.

Toaods
07-02-2010, 10:46 AM
I crossed the railway bridge ten mins before KO and had to hurry past a group of them singing and laughing, loving every minute of it as they headed into the stadium. A pleasant change from the usual drab visiting supports.

Probably a sad reflection on the predictibility and lack of excitement generated by most SPL games.

mim
07-02-2010, 10:59 AM
:singing: "Hello, hello. How do you do. We are the boys in royal blue. Where e'er we go we fear no foe. We are the Links Park dynamo" :singing:

Don't know if they sang that or not - it's a blast from the past. :wink:

Hibby D
07-02-2010, 11:00 AM

Good post :agree:

Toaods
07-02-2010, 11:03 AM
:singing: "Hello, hello. How do you do. We are the boys in royal blue. Where e'er we go we fear no foe. We are the Links Park dynamo" :singing:

they sang it walking over the railway bridge....still sends a shiver down my spine...:eyes:

jdships
07-02-2010, 11:06 AM

What a load of rubbish if I may say so :faf:
I know of many of those who came yesterday also turn up to EVERY home game .
That is based on my connections with the town
What do you base your thoughts on ?

:yawn:

mim
07-02-2010, 11:08 AM
they sang it walking over the railway bridge....still sends a shiver down my spine...:eyes:

Excellent.

Some of my family belong to Montrose and I've been to Links Park a few times to support the Gable Endies.......and given that song laldy. :wink:

marinello59
07-02-2010, 11:16 AM

Does a ' Montrose ' fan actually exist?Like every city, town and village in Scotland, hordes of huns and tims leave there for Darkheid or Greyskull every weekend.

Yes they do exist and they are just as passionate about their club as we are about ours.

Gatecrasher
07-02-2010, 11:23 AM
Yup, they were good yesterday.

While I thought the atmosphere we created was nil I thought a good side of our support Was out today, clapping the guy with the hamstring, mcneil, and booing the ref for booking the guy that scored - we ain't all that bad

Phil D. Rolls
07-02-2010, 11:35 AM

It may have been a day out for some in the town, with no real interest in football, there didn't seem to be any hint of closet OF fans though.

Oh yes....takes one back...rickety stadium, ice cream van parked behing the goals etc. They haven't forgotten.

MacBean
07-02-2010, 12:38 PM

Im pretty sure that Montrose have a large (in proportion to support) and active casual unit.

not that i know the casual scene at all, however i have been aware that MOntrose have a big one!

Toaods
07-02-2010, 12:54 PM
not that i know the casual scene at all, however i have been aware that MOntrose have a big one!

I probably know less than you even do but a Montrose casual squad?

certainly never heard anyone ever mentioning it, never read of it and saw no signs of it yesterday.

Not aware of any trouble being reported inside or outside the ground.

think you may have confused Montrose with Millwall...:greengrin

johnrebus
07-02-2010, 12:55 PM
What a load of rubbish if I may say so :faf:
I know of many of those who came yesterday also turn up to EVERY home game .
That is based on my connections with the town
What do you base your thoughts on ?

:yawn:

Feel free to be offensive my friend, its water off a ducks back.

I take it that your connection to Montrose doesn't actually extend to ever having been there ?

I don't have any particular grouse with Montrose as such, but in a footballing sense they are no different to any other Scottish town in that most fans there are of the Old Firm persuasion.

Sorry you feel that so difficult to come to term with.

:greengrin

Hainan Hibs
07-02-2010, 01:03 PM
Can we stop this patronizing, pat on the back pish of "hope they had a great day out" and other pish like that?

It wasn't a group of mental patients out on a day trip and it wasn't exactly a trip to the Nou Camp or San Siro.

Sort of rubbish I'd expect from Celtic fans.

Hibby D
07-02-2010, 01:03 PM
Feel free to be offensive my friend, its water off a ducks back.

I take it that your connection to Montrose doesn't actually extend to ever having been there ?

I don't have any particular grouse with Montrose as such, but in a footballing sense they are no different to any other Scottish town in that most fans there are of the Old Firm persuasion.

Sorry you feel that so difficult to come to term with.

:greengrin

So what you're saying is that the few hundred Montrose fans who supported their team yesterday are actually OF fans? :confused:

I'd be inclined to believe those who have connections to the town whether they'd been there or not before I'd fall for someone's absurd assumptions

What a load of tosh :hilarious

Toaods
07-02-2010, 01:06 PM

he was injured..:greengrin

Phil D. Rolls
07-02-2010, 01:08 PM
Can we stop this patronizing, pat on the back pish of "hope they had a great day out" and other pish like that?

It wasn't a group of mental patients out on a day trip and it wasn't exactly a trip to the Nou Camp or San Siro.

Sort of rubbish I'd expect from Celtic fans.

Wee bit harsh, don't you think? Are we supposed to treat them like they are Inter Milan or Barcelona?

Fact is they support a wee club, and are from a small town - I'm sure they would rather have been at the Nou Camp or San Siro, but it was still a novelty for them to be playing an SPL team, and seeing a bigger than normal crowd.

MacBean
07-02-2010, 01:14 PM
I probably know less than you even do but a Montrose casual squad?

certainly never heard anyone ever mentioning it, never read of it and saw no signs of it yesterday.

Not aware of any trouble being reported inside or outside the ground.

think you may have confused Montrose with Millwall...:greengrin

i wasnt aware of it either, however my colleague (die hard Alloa fan) told me yesterday of the casual group and a story or two he has heard on the terracing at the Recreational Park.

I found it hard to believe too to be honest. Not sure if its still thriving just now!

Hainan Hibs
07-02-2010, 01:17 PM
Wee bit harsh, don't you think? Are we supposed to treat them like they are Inter Milan or Barcelona?

Fact is they support a wee club, and are from a small town - I'm sure they would rather have been at the Nou Camp or San Siro, but it was still a novelty for them to be playing an SPL team, and seeing a bigger than normal crowd.

I wouldn't think it was harsh no. I wasn't meaning to say we should treat them like Milan or Barcelona. A great trip would be to there, not ER half full.

It's the sort of pat on the back crap we often get from Celtic fans.

I've got friends who follow smaller teams such as Morton who have visited ER. They're only comment was on how pish the East Stand is.

It's probably just me (so I'll shut up now:greengrin) but it just grates at me that we treat them like some patients on a day trip somewhere.

Phil D. Rolls
07-02-2010, 01:38 PM
I wouldn't think it was harsh no. I wasn't meaning to say we should treat them like Milan or Barcelona. A great trip would be to there, not ER half full.

It's the sort of pat on the back crap we often get from Celtic fans.

I've got friends who follow smaller teams such as Morton who have visited ER. They're only comment was on how pish the East Stand is.

It's probably just me (so I'll shut up now:greengrin) but it just grates at me that we treat them like some patients on a day trip somewhere.

It's all about opinions. The way I see it is that they chose to behave the way they do - making a big fuss of celebrating a goal when they are five down. They are the ones behaving like "loonies" on a day out.

Jay
07-02-2010, 01:57 PM
When we were crossing London road a bus load of Montrose fans stopped at the lights. All the bairns on the bus were sitting right at the back and started chapping at the windows and sticking their fingers up at the Hibs fans and having a right naughty wee time to themselves, I thought it was hilarious but then two Hibs fans about 15 years old ( and sharing a fag) came across and started shouting at them really abusively and saying get of the bus you effing little C's and then I'll kick your C in and all that - really really over the top stuff especially considering it was to kids around 10 years old. Anyway the Montrose bairns thought this was funny and rose to the occassion even more and the Hibs laddies looked a right couple of phannies. :faf:

It fair made me chuckle!

Owain_1987
07-02-2010, 02:02 PM
Am sorry yes they were loud but am sure if they were playing a park team they would not of been like that and for Hibs fans maybe hard to get excited by playing a park team (expect for when we play the yams of course). :greengrin

WindyMiller
07-02-2010, 02:11 PM
I thought they were a bresh of fresh air, no sectarianism, and in the West U/South plenty of them applauded Rordan's goal.

tony higgins
07-02-2010, 02:15 PM
Did,nt think there was a need for the rebel songs.

:rolleyes:

That should be every angle and taste now covered in the Montrose fan thread.

(((Fergus)))
07-02-2010, 02:16 PM
When we were crossing London road a bus load of Montrose fans stopped at the lights. All the bairns on the bus were sitting right at the back and started chapping at the windows and sticking their fingers up at the Hibs fans and having a right naughty wee time to themselves, I thought it was hilarious but then two Hibs fans about 15 years old ( and sharing a fag) came across and started shouting at them really abusively and saying get of the bus you effing little C's and then I'll kick your C in and all that - really really over the top stuff especially considering it was to kids around 10 years old. Anyway the Montrose bairns thought this was funny and rose to the occassion even more and the Hibs laddies looked a right couple of phannies. :faf:

It fair made me chuckle!

:thumbsup:

johnrebus
07-02-2010, 02:23 PM
So what you're saying is that the few hundred Montrose fans who supported their team yesterday are actually OF fans? :confused:

I'd be inclined to believe those who have connections to the town whether they'd been there or not before I'd fall for someone's absurd assumptions

Nothing to do with assumption.

Have been to Montrose dozens of times over the last twenty five years or so and it is no different to any other Scottish town in that most of them support Rangers or Celtic.

That is hardly the fault of Montrose FC of course, or indeed the Junior side Roselea - who play in Hibs strips. Both are very poorly supported by the local population.

Sorry if that disturbs your cosy wee team attitude towards them. But hey, why let the truth get in the way of a nice story?

:gun:

WindyMiller
07-02-2010, 02:25 PM

Have been to Montrose dozens of times over the last twenty five years or so and it is no different to any other Scottish town in that most of them support Rangers or Celtic.

That is hardly the fault of Montrose FC of course, or indeed the Junior side Roselea - who play in Hibs strips. Both are very poorly supported by the local population.

Sorry if that disturbs your cosy wee team attitude towards them. But hey, why let the truth get in the way of a nice story?

In the town perhaps, but not at yesterday's match.

(((Fergus)))
07-02-2010, 02:25 PM

Sorry, what was your evidence that the fans at Easter Road yesterday were actually Celtic or Rangers fans?

johnrebus
07-02-2010, 02:29 PM
Fair enough, I give up. No point in backing a loser.

We are in the next round, that is all that really matters.

:rolleyes:

Golden Bear
07-02-2010, 02:30 PM

Sorry - but you ARE making an assumption by saying that these guys who supported their team yesterday are really Rantic supporters in disguise.

Unfortunately Rantic also have a big support in the Edinburgh area, so by your logic, followers of Hibs/Hearts could be accused of the same thing when we visit away grounds.

Lucius Apuleius
07-02-2010, 02:48 PM
Not seeing your argument at all Mr Rebus. We all know that every town and city in Scotland is full of rantic supporters. So what? That does not mean the guys who were down yesterday support them. In fact I would say the exact opposite.

Toaods
07-02-2010, 02:50 PM

It fair made me chuckle!

think that was the Montrose casual bus...did it have a police motorcycle cordon around them with the local traffic being halted to ferry them straight into the ground. Saw a couple of 14 yo's wearing some really expensive designer school shirts.

Dashing Bob S
07-02-2010, 03:08 PM

I kind of agree, but also sort of disagree. The so-called OF fans, I think, are really supporters of their home town clubs, really more closet Montrose and Arbroath fans rather than Huns or Tims. The real issue is that they are glory hunters to their fingertips and crave emotional association with 'success'. So its easier to buy a replica strip and sit in the corner of your local pub playing at being an imitation weedgie and phoning James Traynor on a Saturday, pretending to be outraged at the latest tragedy to befall 'your' club than trooping along to Links Park in the pissing rain each week.

But under the posturing, the 'support' of the OF in such places generallyt has all the passion and ritual of buying a pint of milk and some rolls at the local supermarket. For all its mouth, it's very trouserless soft support, and it fades away quickly. Celtic, for example, went from 60,000 to 40,000 fans in one game (versus us) recently.

I think we get far too worked about those people and give them way too much credibility as a result. They aren't football fans, they are professional celebrators.

But I genuinely believe that they would much rather celebrate their own club and community, and they very, very occasionally, have some reason to do so. Thus they are no different from 45,000 of the 60,000 s.t. holders at Parkhead, or for that matter the extra 25,000 Hibs supporters who show up at cup finals. (If we were winning, or challenging for League titles, winning SC and LC's and playing in the CL every year, that crowd would regularly be at ER - no doubt about it.) I recall that David Murray once said years ago, that he reckoned that Rangers had only 8,000 genuine supporters (I thought that figure was a little bit small in order to make the point, but you can see where he's coming from) and the rest were just people who needed to associate with success.

So good on Montrose, having their day, getting behind their club and community. I just wish that Scottish football wasn't artificially polarised on a sectarian basis, so that all the other clubs would have their fair share of such glory days.

Crab apple
07-02-2010, 03:53 PM
i wasnt aware of it either, however my colleague (die hard Alloa fan) told me yesterday of the casual group and a story or two he has heard on the terracing at the Recreational Park.

I found it hard to believe too to be honest. Not sure if its still thriving just now!

Certainly active in the late 80's. The story goes that they boarded a train carrying Killie fans (at that time killie were in the lower divisions) just as it arrived at the station and 'ran' Killie. No idea if they still exist although local rivals Arbroath apparently retain a sizeable firm.

clerriehibs
07-02-2010, 06:32 PM
We're quick to criticise the opposition fans at times, so I'd like to thank the Montrose fans for their support yesterday. If they hadn't sung throughout, the atmosphere would have been non- existent.

Their backing of their team was first class and not without some irony and humour ('we're the worst team in Scotland', 'we want one' )et al. Even the one alluding to Hibs fans and heroin raised a smile.

glory hunters the lot (virtually) of 'em :wink:

Apparently there was only TWO Montrose fans at their only win v Berwick last week!

Hibercelona
07-02-2010, 06:43 PM
Imagine what the atmosphere would be like at ER if 17,000 fans supported their team like the few hundred fans do in the lowest league.

It will never happen though. :boo hoo:

iwasthere1972
07-02-2010, 06:47 PM
Imagine what the atmosphere would be like at ER if 17,000 fans supported their team like the few hundred fans do in the lowest league.

It will never happen though. :boo hoo:

It's an away day. Of course your fans are going to be vocal. Can't imagine that those fans are as vocal at Links Park. Goes for most supporters who travel away to see their team. Noisy away and cannae be bothered at home.

iwasthere1972
07-02-2010, 06:48 PM
glory hunters the lot (virtually) of 'em :wink:

Apparently there was only TWO Montrose fans at their only win v Berwick last week!

Aye and that was the manager and his assistant. :agree:

Hibercelona
07-02-2010, 06:49 PM
It's an away day. Of course your fans are going to be vocal. Can't imagine that those fans are as vocal at Links Park. Goes for most supporters who travel away to see their team. Noisy away and cannae be bothered at home.

I've been to a fair few away games.

We're pish away also. :wink:

iwasthere1972
07-02-2010, 06:54 PM
I've been to a fair few away games.

We're pish away also. :wink:

Maybe so but not when we're playing one of the so called "big teams". Celtic Park, Ibrox and Tynecastle we are generally more vocal than the home fans.

Yesterday was a day for the Montrose fans to forget about lambing and tractor repairs and they were going to make sure they enjoyed themselves regardless of the score. Full marks to them though even if 99% of the songs they sang were yonks old. So are their clothes. YouTube - Arbroath Vs Montrose 10/11/07 (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8KG16shilso&feature=related)

The_Todd
07-02-2010, 06:59 PM
I loved them telling the West Stand to "Sit down, Shut Up"... and the West duly obliged :greengrin

basehibby
07-02-2010, 07:42 PM

So according to you, the 400 or so who regularly watch Montrose are actually Rantic fans :confused:

That's a very patronising attitude - similar to the mistaken assumption that some ignorant people make that Hibs fans all support the Smellies. :rolleyes:

sunshine1875
07-02-2010, 08:58 PM
What I want to know is was the chap with the police cone on his head glued to it? He had it one during the whole match. I would have thought he would have taken it off after 10 minutes. He must have a sore head today.

joe breezy
07-02-2010, 09:23 PM

How true and Hibs fans are just Celtic fans without the bus fare.
Everyone in Scotland really supports Rangers and Celtic, anyone claiming otherwise is a liar :confused:

Hibby D
07-02-2010, 10:09 PM

Patronising codswallop :bitchy:

We're talking about the 400 or so who were at ER yesterday

So answer my question then - are you saying the Montrose fans who came down yesterday are all either Celtic and Rangers fans?

:hilarious

NAE NOOKIE
07-02-2010, 10:23 PM
To say yesterday's Montrose fans were OF fans on a day oot is a bloomin' insult and should be retracted immidiately. Bloody cheek !!!

How dare anybody make that assumption with no proof.

As for the Hibs fans yesterday I think we behaved exactly as fans of the 'big' team ( relative to Montrose ) are supposed to at games like this.

We gave a good reception to an ex player.
We expected and got a couple of early goals, so no need for a lot of noise.
We applauded one of their players who had to go off injured.
We applauded a cracking goal from one of their players.
We bood the ref for booking him.
We clapped them and Hibs off at full time.

If we are unlucky enough to draw one of the OF or Dundee Utd or Aberdeen away in the QFs then it will be our turn to step up to the plate. I for one have every intention of being at the QF home or away no matter who it is against. And to make as much noise as possible at that game.

In the hope ( sigh !!! ) that this will at last be our year.

Gatecrasher
07-02-2010, 10:32 PM
To say yesterday's Montrose fans were OF fans on a day oot is a bloomin' insult and should be retracted immidiately. Bloody cheek !!!

How dare anybody make that assumption with no proof.

As for the Hibs fans yesterday I think we behaved exactly as fans of the 'big' team ( relative to Montrose ) are supposed to at games like this.

We gave a good reception to an ex player.
We expected and got a couple of early goals, so no need for a lot of noise.
We applauded one of their players who had to go off injured.
We applauded a cracking goal from one of their players.
We bood the ref for booking him.
We clapped them and Hibs off at full time.

If we are unlucky enough to draw one of the OF or Dundee Utd or Aberdeen away in the QFs then it will be our turn to step up to the plate. I for one have every intention of being at the QF home or away no matter who it is against. And to make as much noise as possible at that game.

In the hope ( sigh !!! ) that this will at last be our year.

:top marks

An Leargaidh
07-02-2010, 11:52 PM
When I came out of the match I do believe as I was discussing Man Of The Match with a fellow Hibby that I stated, "Supporters Of The Match must go to Montrose. There weren't many of them but they sang or made a noise for the whole time from before the kick off until the final whistle."

I was in West 09 but it seemed the Gable Endies' support were even more consistent and voluble than the East Stand Hibbies who didn't even seem to have the tri-colour flags out as they normally do never mind not singing much. Maybe the Easties thought the bulldozers were about to move in for the imminent reconstruction? :greengrin

I give the Montrose supporters :top marksfor effort.

ArabHibee
08-02-2010, 12:05 AM
What I want to know is was the chap with the police cone on his head glued to it? He had it one during the whole match. I would have thought he would have taken it off after 10 minutes. He must have a sore head today.

:faf: I saw him too. Couldn't make my mind up if it was a real traffic cone or not coz if it was, having that on your head for all that time must have been sore!

PatHead
08-02-2010, 12:28 AM
Couple of friends who were in the visitors stand confirmed it was not a real traffic cone. Bet you he was disappointed not to be in the highlights though.