View Full Version : Well done Rankin and Hogg!

MussyHibby
06-02-2010, 05:34 PM
As they are 2 of the players that are regularly singled out for criticism, I thought I would congratulate them on very good performances today. Not necessarily the best players on the park (but for me, not far away) but nice to give credit where it's due. Yes, they were up against mediocre players but still thought they done good today.

Additionally, I think both have played better over the last few weeks, again becasue of the return of McBride?

06-02-2010, 05:48 PM
Both never rose above average IMO.

06-02-2010, 05:52 PM
Rankin was absolutely outstanding today. There's far more to this guy's game than being the willing work horse of the team.

Capt Mainwaring
06-02-2010, 05:59 PM

Disagree. Rankin put in a real good shift today.

Scooter
06-02-2010, 05:59 PM
I like rankin. But I just didn't see it today.

06-02-2010, 06:01 PM
I thought Hogg strolled through the game today, Rankin had a couple of bad passes but overall he did very well :agree:

06-02-2010, 06:03 PM
I thought that the introduction of Benji made a big difference to how we played offensively today and, apart from his goal, he tormented the defenders by his constant willingness to run at them and create things for others! :agree:

06-02-2010, 06:24 PM
As they are 2 of the players that are regularly singled out for criticism, I thought I would congratulate them on very good performances today. Not necessarily the best players on the park (but for me, not far away) but nice to give credit where it's due. Yes, they were up against mediocre players but still thought they done good today.

Additionally, I think both have played better over the last few weeks, again becasue of the return of McBride?

You can't judge them on their performances against the poorest side in Scottish football. They've individually struggled to pull their weight against the poorest teams in the SPL (not to mention Irvine Meadow.)

That's the crux of the matter, IMHO.

06-02-2010, 06:40 PM
Rankin was MoM today for me. We won at a canter though.

06-02-2010, 07:16 PM
Hoggy was solid enough I agree whilst Rankin was excellent at times but still prone to making the odd duff pass. Not MotM for me but a decent showing

broonie27
06-02-2010, 07:24 PM

We were playing Montrose FFS! If they can't canter through these matches (especially Hogg) then they shouldn't be in the team. Let's see how they perform against SPL sides before we start getting too carried away.

NaeTechnoHibby
06-02-2010, 07:34 PM
We were playing Montrose FFS! If they can't canter through these matches (especially Hogg) then they shouldn't be in the team. Let's see how they perform against SPL sides before we start getting too carried away.

What is your gripe against Hogg :bitchy:

Seems like he's solid defender tae, but he's guid enough for Hibs IHMO :agree:

He does his job :agree:

06-02-2010, 07:52 PM
Both players played really well today. :greengrin.

broonie27
06-02-2010, 07:54 PM
What is your gripe against Hogg :bitchy:

Seems like he's solid defender tae, but he's guid enough for Hibs IHMO :agree:

He does his job :agree:

The reason I said "especially" was because we are playing Montrose and out of the 2 he shouldn't be too busy.

06-02-2010, 08:42 PM
You can't judge them on their performances against the poorest side in Scottish football. They've individually struggled to pull their weight against the poorest teams in the SPL (not to mention Irvine Meadow.)

Have they not played most of the season in a team that's 3rd in the league?

The 'crux' of the matter is they've played their part in wins away to Celtic, Aberdeen, draws away to to Rangers, Hearts etc...

Why not accept that they're as much to do with our sucess this season than the so called 'star' players?

IMHO of course...

06-02-2010, 09:12 PM
Have they not played most of the season in a team that's 3rd in the league?

The 'crux' of the matter is they've played their part in wins away to Celtic, Aberdeen, draws away to to Rangers, Hearts etc...

Why not accept that they're as much to do with our sucess this season than the so called 'star' players?

IMHO of course...

Sorry, but the players mentioned have happened to be 2 players out of eleven, and IMHO, they've been carried by the other 9.

What clubs will Hogg and Rankin engineer a transfer to after they leave Hibs? I doubt we'll even get a transfer fee for either.

Because we're 3rd in a piss-poor league does not make them good footballers, again, IMHO.

YMMV.

06-02-2010, 09:33 PM
Sorry, but the players mentioned have happened to be 2 players out of eleven, and IMHO, they've been carried by the other 9.

What clubs will Hogg and Rankin engineer a transfer to after they leave Hibs? I doubt we'll even get a transfer fee for either.

Because we're 3rd in a piss-poor league does not make them good footballers, again, IMHO.

YMMV.

I agree it's a pretty poor league at present but I think you're underestimating both players contribution to our season so far. Our points total, goal difference back that up. It would also appear that my views are shared by our manager.

FWIW I'd imagine Hogg and Rankin could quite easily end up in the Championship if/when they leave Hibs. Not sure if that's good or bad for you?

I take it you were at the game today?

DFWM

goosano
06-02-2010, 09:54 PM

YMMV.

Totally agree. Hogg struggled to win balls against mediocre opposition today and always looked uncomfortable when hustled by opposition-a journeyman at best. He started this season poorly, had a few good games and has been poorish recently. How he is captain I just can't understand. I hate to say it but we need some big hard uncompromising cheating bassa in defence just like the Yams cant Zaliukas.

Rankin 'works his socks off' as is oft quoted, but he is ordinary at best.

A good hard no nonsense CH and the same in midfield could make us even better IMHO

06-02-2010, 10:03 PM
Totally agree. Hogg struggled to win balls against mediocre opposition today and aleays looked uncomfortable when hustled by opposition-a journeyman at best. He started this season poorly, had a few good games and has been poorish recently. How he is captain I just can't understand. I hate to see it but we need some big hard uncompromising cheating bassain defence like the Yams cant Zaliukas.

Rankin 'works his socks off' as is oft quoted, but he is ordinary at best.

A good hard no nonsense CH and the same in midfield could make us even better IMHO

I'm not saying they can't or shouldn't be replaced at some point. Judging by the pedigree of signings we've had I fully expect a quality centre half to arrive in the summer. It's the only area Hughes hasn't been able to strengthen so far.

I can't however, accept that we could achieved what we have so far by 'carrying' two players.

Not from where I'm watching from.

06-02-2010, 11:36 PM
Who would people rather have in the team ahead of Rankin? He may not be the most technically gifted footballer at the club, but hes a grafter and the type of player all teams need IMO. He adds a good balance to the team, has brilliant stamina and is probably the player with the most assists this season. Give the guy a break.

07-02-2010, 01:08 PM
I hate to say it but we need some big hard uncompromising cheating bassa in defence just like the Yams cant Zaliukas.

:bitchy:
Not only do I think that Hogg is a better defender than Zaliukas, he also avoids raking up 4 red cards during the average season.

07-02-2010, 01:24 PM
Who would people rather have in the team ahead of Rankin? He may not be the most technically gifted footballer at the club, but hes a grafter and the type of player all teams need IMO. He adds a good balance to the team, has brilliant stamina and is probably the player with the most assists this season. Give the guy a break.

:agree: I don't think he's got the MOST assists (isn't that Riordan?) but he's provided a fair few. To think we nearly signed that evil twonk Ian Black instead of him.... :devil:

:bitchy: Not only do I think that Hogg is a better defender than Zaliukas, he also avoids raking up 4 red cards during the average season.

Absolutely right. Zaliukas is a thug. Chris is a footballer. And I would not exchange him for the thug. :agree:

07-02-2010, 01:39 PM

YMMV.

Thats the biggest load of pish i've read on here since my posts defending Mixu...

07-02-2010, 02:43 PM
Thats the biggest load of pish i've read on here since my posts defending Mixu...

Very good.:thumbsup:

07-02-2010, 05:05 PM
I though hogg and hanlon struggled against the big tall huddy up front. They had a few close things. I like hogg but I didn't think either centre half dominated the way you'd have expected against that calibre of player.

07-02-2010, 05:07 PM

WHAFFAYO :asshole:

Hogg - part of the best defence in the SPL the last 3 seasons

Rankin - one of Yogi's favourite players and in the mix for his Captain at the start of the season!

Dalkeith Hibee
07-02-2010, 05:16 PM
Hogg for me is the weak link in the team....shocking distribution at times (ie aimless balls lobbed up front), not commanding enough sometimes and positioning at times leaves a lot to be desired. Although in the 2nd half he did make a cracking tackle in front of our goal.

For me Hanlon is really maturing well in the centre half role and Im afraid to say once Bamba is fit and available I'd be dropping Hogg for him.

Im not really keen on Rankin but I can see what he contributes to the team.

07-02-2010, 05:19 PM
Hogg for me is the weak link in the team....shocking distribution at times (ie aimless balls lobbed up front), not commanding enough sometimes and positioning at times leaves a lot to be desired. Although in the 2nd half he did make a cracking tackle in front of our goal.

For me Hanlon is really maturing well in the centre half role and Im afraid to say once Bamba is fit and available I'd be dropping Hogg for him.

Im not really keen on Rankin but I can see what he contributes to the team.

Awrite Neil, Hows tricks mate?

Agree with you regarding Hanlon.:agree:

07-02-2010, 05:42 PM
WHAFFAYO :asshole:

Hogg - part of the best defence in the SPL the last 3 seasons

Rankin - one of Yogi's favourite players and in the mix for his Captain at the start of the season!

I though neither rose above average yesterday. Ken why, because IMO neither did. There, said it. Get it roond ye.

That all right wi you?. Make me an asshole?

Take it you dinnae agree? Thats fine wi me!

Explain WHAFFAYO.

Silver Fox
07-02-2010, 06:12 PM
I noticed they both got :7:'s in the sunday post today. :wink:

07-02-2010, 06:26 PM

Looked good against part timers..

Super