PDA

View Full Version : The most idiotic piece of refereeing ever...

Broken Gnome
06-02-2010, 05:14 PM
...was giving that free kick in the first half. Bar none, and there's a few previous candidates, the most ridiculous decision I've ever seen a referee make. Utter balloon.

crash
06-02-2010, 05:23 PM
Don't think he knew about playing advantage, I counted five times he stopped the game to give us a free kick when we still had possession in a good position.:grr:

(((Fergus)))
Thought this was going to be about the decision to book the Montrose scorer for celebrating with their fans.

That has to be the most anally retentive rule in sport.

The_Todd
Todays ref had clearly never of heard the word "advantage". He was at it all afternoon.

God Petrie
06-02-2010, 05:32 PM
Thought this was going to be about the decision to book the Montrose scorer for celebrating with their fans.

It's absolutely pathetic that we, as fans, are not allowed to celebrate with players. What is the worst that could happen? I don't support football to sit on my hands for 90 minutes and clap politely when the other team scores. The raw, competitive, spontaneous nature of the sport is why it is so popular and maybe if they relaxed these rediculous rules which punish the true supporters who actually go to games then attendances would increase since the match experience would exceed anything Sky or ESPN can provide.

MussyHibby
06-02-2010, 05:36 PM
Never like to criticise refs but he should have been anonymous today. Regrettably some of his decisions re' the advantage rule were awful.

Broken Gnome
06-02-2010, 05:41 PM
It's absolutely pathetic that we, as fans, are not allowed to celebrate with players. What is the worst that could happen? I don't support football to sit on my hands for 90 minutes and clap politely when the other team scores. The raw, competitive, spontaneous nature of the sport is why it is so popular and maybe if they relaxed these rediculous rules which punish the true supporters who actually go to games then attendances would increase since the match experience would exceed anything Sky or ESPN can provide.

Well to play devil's advocate, it's so that no supporters are injured if there's any mass rushes to the front of the stand. The ref generally has to book players in that case, or else he's going against the directive's he's given.

That said, in certain cases, it's a nonsense ruling. I'd imagine the Montrose player would think it was well worth it though.

Danny_Hibee
06-02-2010, 05:46 PM

Ref got the decision 100% correct. Can be no arguments at all over that booking and the only stupid thing about it was the ridiculous booing from the Hibs fans.

MussyHibby
06-02-2010, 06:08 PM
Ref got the decision 100% correct. Can be no arguments at all over that booking and the only stupid thing about it was the ridiculous booing from the Hibs fans.

:bitchy:

Clearly the ref today has never played the game. As for us booing, let them have their moment of glory ffs!:agree:

God Petrie
06-02-2010, 06:09 PM
I thought the Hibs fans were booing the decision to book the player for celebrating.

I'm_cabbaged
06-02-2010, 06:14 PM
I thought the Hibs fans were booing the decision to book the player for celebrating.

:agree:

(((Fergus)))
06-02-2010, 06:15 PM
Danny is right - the ref was carrying out the letter of the law. It's just a stupid law. Or have there been many deaths from crowd surges caused by players celebrating with their own fans?

Golden Bear
06-02-2010, 06:17 PM

That's the way I seen it.

ronaldo7
06-02-2010, 06:18 PM

Stupid booking from the ref, although I take the points made in the thread re the :rules:

The game was over, so he should have given the lad a break and let him away with it.

hibsbollah
06-02-2010, 06:22 PM
Danny is right - the ref was carrying out the letter of the law. It's just a stupid law. Or have there been many deaths from crowd surges caused by players celebrating with their own fans?

Theres nothing as inspiring as a player jumping in with the fans after he scores, makes it seem as if they really care as much as we do:agree:
YouTube - Stefano Okaka Chuka Wonder Goal vs Siena (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CC84wBtW5bM)

God Petrie
06-02-2010, 06:46 PM
Theres nothing as inspiring as a player jumping in with the fans after he scores, makes it seem as if they really care as much as we do:agree:
YouTube - Stefano Okaka Chuka Wonder Goal vs Siena (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CC84wBtW5bM)[/URL]

Celebrations like that are why Italian football is the best in Europe.

Jonnyboy
06-02-2010, 06:58 PM

Agreed Fergus although I git the feeling that Muir was almost embarrassed at having to show the card. Oh wait, if he wants to look embarrassed he should have another look at all the advantage rules he didn't play :wink:

jgl07
06-02-2010, 07:02 PM
Exactly. The referee had no option.

If he failed to book the guy he would have been in trouble from the referee's supervisor.

NadeAteMyLunch!
06-02-2010, 07:03 PM
In my game today we were trailing 1-0 with two mins left, we were pushing for the equaliser so left ourselves 2 on 2 at the back, they broke, got a few men up the park quickly, their right winger slid a pass across the 6 yard box and their striker tucked it past our keeper. HOWEVER, the boy that scored shouted LEAVE IT loudly to his teamate who was at the front post. Although none of my team were put off by his shout the ref disallowed it. Again, he was correct by the letter of the law. My captain then missed an OPEN GOAL from 8 yards in the 94th min :boo hoo::boo hoo::boo hoo: It took a horrible bobble jst as he was putting his foot thru it :grr: They would have been ragin if it had gone in.

Silver Fox
06-02-2010, 07:07 PM

same as Galbraith getting booked at Darkheid, after scoring the winner. ridiculous rule, all the more frustrating when not applied consistently by all refs but the ones who do follow it to the letter, looking silly on these two occasions.

Greenblood70
06-02-2010, 07:09 PM
Very frustrating refereeing today...the whistle was blown on at leat half a dozen occasions far too quickly when there was a clear advantage developing.

Ref looked more nervous than Montrose's defence and by the letter of the law the farcical booking at Montrose goal was correct. Don't blame the ref for that one tho', he probably had a couple of SFA jobsworths in the stands just gagging to pull him up for showing some common sense.

EasterRoad4Ever
06-02-2010, 08:29 PM

In all fairness to the ref, he looked very apologetic about booking the player, so can't really blame him.

Saorsa
06-02-2010, 11:04 PM
The ref got it right going by the rules (pity he didnae ken the advantage rule so well :bitchy: ), for me it's pity the rule exists at all though, pathetic IMO, over officious busy bodies trying and unfortunately succedding tae remove the passion and excitement from the game. So what if players celebrate with their own supporters.

TheBall'sRound
07-02-2010, 01:01 AM
The way I understand it the bookings for shirt removal and going into the crowd are purely commercial. The club is sponsored by a company who put their name and logo on the front of the shirt for advertising. The one time that advert is seen by the most people is when a player scores and celebrates a goal (think of how many times Sky show a goal replay - at least a dozen) and the goals are shown over and over on Sky news and Match of the Day etc. It's just a testament to how much the game has sold it's soul.

Incidentally, the referee WAS playing advantage on the Wotherspoon foul - he waited until DW had wrestled his way past and then blew. That's how utterly stupid and ridiculous the situation was. Total clown...

Barney McGrew
07-02-2010, 08:00 AM
It's always an excuse used by the refs in this situation that they 'had to book him, because that's the rules'

It's a shame it's about the only rule they all seem to be consistent about.

matty_f
07-02-2010, 08:12 AM
The way I understand it the bookings for shirt removal and going into the crowd are purely commercial. The club is sponsored by a company who put their name and logo on the front of the shirt for advertising. The one time that advert is seen by the most people is when a player scores and celebrates a goal (think of how many times Sky show a goal replay - at least a dozen) and the goals are shown over and over on Sky news and Match of the Day etc. It's just a testament to how much the game has sold it's soul.

Incidentally, the referee WAS playing advantage on the Wotherspoon foul - he waited until DW had wrestled his way past and then blew. That's how utterly stupid and ridiculous the situation was. Total clown...

:agree: It's the first time I can remember seeing a referee wait to make sure we had an advantage before pulling it back. Shocking decision.

Expecting Rain
07-02-2010, 09:41 AM
I think the last two refs have introduced handicap football to the Scottish Cup, it is almost like since they are the underdogs we`ll have a different set of rules, i`d like to see the Stokes penalty incident again and i`d like to know how many times Wotherspoon was fouled and adavantage wasn`t played.

Phil D. Rolls
07-02-2010, 10:52 AM
Well to play devil's advocate, it's so that no supporters are injured if there's any mass rushes to the front of the stand. The ref generally has to book players in that case, or else he's going against the directive's he's given.

That said, in certain cases, it's a nonsense ruling. I'd imagine the Montrose player would think it was well worth it though.

Is it not something to do with sponsors wanting to make sure their logos are picked up by the camera as the goal scorer celebrates. Or am I just too cynical?

As for the worst refereeing decision ever, I think I've seen worse - especially when the OF are in town. What about that AndyDavis decision against the Yams a couple of years back?

brog
07-02-2010, 11:03 AM
We all know the rule about running into the crowd & so do the players so how stupid do you have to be to do it? In the case of the Montrose lad there's no problem, he'll probably get more publicity for this than for his goal! Football's been played for well over a century without players feeling the need to pull shirts over their heads, sending written thanks to God or pretending to shoot a teammate, Yams copywright!
I can totally understand spontaneous celebration but synchronised baby rocking or whatever is IMO a pile of keek, or maybe I'm just a grumpy old git! :wink:

NAE NOOKIE
07-02-2010, 09:47 PM
:agree: It's the first time I can remember seeing a referee wait to make sure we had an advantage before pulling it back. Shocking decision.

Thats the way I saw it. He didnt blow too quickly and then apologise. He waited until the advantage looked likely and then blew his whistle. It was bad doing it once, but he did it at least 3 times. :bitchy:

matty_f
07-02-2010, 09:50 PM
I think the last two refs have introduced handicap football to the Scottish Cup, it is almost like since they are the underdogs we`ll have a different set of rules, i`d like to see the Stokes penalty incident again and i`d like to know how many times Wotherspoon was fouled and adavantage wasn`t played.

:top marks I said the same thing at the game. The penalty was probably the most blatant example, but I definitely got the feeling that the referee was making allowances for the fact that this was such a big day out for Montrose.

Big Frank
07-02-2010, 10:00 PM
:top marks I said the same thing at the game. The penalty was probably the most blatant example, but I definitely got the feeling that the referee was making allowances for the fact that this was such a big day out for Montrose.

I agree 100%

Hibernating (Im a stoopid yam tramp)
07-02-2010, 10:45 PM
yeah, he was being nice to Montrose. A shame nobody's ever nice to us!

Danderhall Hibs
08-02-2010, 08:53 AM
Celebrations like that are why Italian football is the best in Europe.

Did he get sent off? Jersey off and jumped into the crowd. Poor show from the ref if he was allowed to stay on the park.

HFC 0-7
08-02-2010, 09:33 AM

I dont think its a stupid law to be honest. Some fans could have got hurt because they had to go across a few rows of seats to get to the front. A kid could have been sitting down at the front of the montrose fans when they all moved forwards jumping over the seats. It would have been easy for them to fall on top of a kid. The guy never got sent off he just ot booked, he still had his celebration. Players get booked for kicking the ball away, he got booked in relation to fan safety.

mim
08-02-2010, 10:16 AM
We all know the rule about running into the crowd & so do the players so how stupid do you have to be to do it? In the case of the Montrose lad there's no problem, he'll probably get more publicity for this than for his goal! Football's been played for well over a century without players feeling the need to pull shirts over their heads, sending written thanks to God or pretending to shoot a teammate, Yams copywright!
I can totally understand spontaneous celebration but synchronised baby rocking or whatever is IMO a pile of keek, or maybe I'm just a grumpy old git! :wink:

Can I join your Grumpy Old Git club, Brog.

The whole charade leaves me cold.

I've been celebrating Hibs goals for more than 50 years and I don't need a Hibs player jumping into the crowd to get me excited.

Once you've seen Gordon Smith, Joe Baker at al raising an arm in the air and turning to shake their team mates hand in celebration, nothing is added to my experience by a player making an erse of himself.

Just get on with the bloody game and leave the celebrating to us - we're good at it. :wink:

blackpoolhibs
08-02-2010, 10:24 AM
What i find very strange is, when someone scores, and goes into the crowd. 9 times out of 10 the rest of the team follow. They have all left the pitch, they are all celebrating with the fans, but its only the goal scorer who gets booked. :confused: