PDA

View Full Version : McLeish, Mowbray, Hughes

Dashing Bob S
06-02-2010, 03:14 AM
The three most exciting managers we've had in recent times. Which one had the best team?

Hibercelona
06-02-2010, 03:24 AM
Best in terms of results? Or best in terms of entertainment?

Yogi is by far the most consistent manager out of the 3.

Although, I have to admit that the Mowbray era was the most exciting to watch at the time.

But if I had to choose between our current manager and Mowbray/McLeish...

Yogi all the way. :thumbsup:

HIBERNIAN 1875
06-02-2010, 03:37 AM
Individually Sauzee is by far the best player, but I think Yogi's team has the potential to be the best "team".

TRC
06-02-2010, 03:54 AM
McLeish's team when they had Sauzee Latapy, lets not forget Agathe the first half of the season. fantastic. When I grew up watching Millers Hibs this was an absolute delight!!!

Dunbar Hibee
06-02-2010, 04:08 AM
McLeish's side.

SanFranHibs
06-02-2010, 04:12 AM
has to be Mowbray's tenure. McLeish, especially against the Hearts was great but I still think of Mowbray's Cup demolition of Rangers, the games we played, (admittedly for 80 minutes) against Celtic and Hearts and the other performances such as, if I recall correctly, against Livingston(?). Two 3-0's at Ibrox and a 2 - 1 at ER in 1 season.

We know Hughes wants to play a similar style but yet no consistency. Ask me in another year.

JE89
06-02-2010, 04:39 AM
McLeish's team when they had Sauzee Latapy, lets not forget Agathe the first half of the season. fantastic. When I grew up watching Millers Hibs this was an absolute delight!!!

Me too. I remember the miller days. Each game seemed to last about 3 hours because it was so poor! Although for me the football we played under mowbray was sensational. The 3-0s at ibrox were brilliant. Although yogi is getting there!

JE89
06-02-2010, 04:41 AM
Also although it was collins, mowbray built our cis winning team which i will never forget.

EasterRoad4Ever
06-02-2010, 05:25 AM
Best Hibs team IMO was the 6-2 side - quality in every position. But Mowbray's played the most exciting footy and he had the harder job (less money, raw talent).

Oscar T Grouch
06-02-2010, 05:50 AM
I chose McLeish's side, Le God was pure class, wee russell, the last goal in the 6-2, I loved the football played in Mowbrays team, we've yet to see with Yogi, but it's looking good so far. I hope the Yogi's turns out the best, scottish cup win, 2nd in the league, attack on Europe, it's all possible in the future, things the other two teams never achieved. I'm off to bed it 05:46 in the morning :greengrin:faint::faint:

IWasThere2016
06-02-2010, 07:03 AM
I'd pick McLeish because watching Sauzee and Latapy was such a joy to behold - and such an uplift post Duff Jimmy. Not to mention 6-2, 0-3, 3-1 etc :greengrin

Similarly, Mowbray was such a tonic post Blobby - and Dec 04/Jan 05 spell was blinding. I recall two 4-1 wins in Dundee, two 2-1 wins v Sheep and ICT and the buzz and atmosphere at ER and away was brilliant. The regular slaying of the Hun was unforgettable also :thumbsup:

Yogi has the potential though especially as neither Eck or Mowbray won owt! Which begs the question where's Collins? He won us a cup and in magnificent style :agree: That day in March 2007 was very special as was the performance - rampaging full-backs, a bullet header from the captain CH, pass and move in the midfield, Ivan on the wing, and doubles for the strikers - Benji and Fletch. Then there was the sing song .. the thought of SoL still gives me goosies!

God Bless the Hibs!

Glory Glory! :thumbsup:

Steve20
06-02-2010, 07:53 AM
McLeish team. Loved watching that team.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ozhibs1875
06-02-2010, 08:21 AM
the bobby williamson years........:duck::duck:

Westie1875
06-02-2010, 08:24 AM
McLeish's team

Hakim Sar
06-02-2010, 08:34 AM
Mcleish for me for taking a team getting relegated to challenging for 2nd place. He clearly spent money mowbray and yogi will never have but I thought mcleish was class

Baldy Foghorn
06-02-2010, 08:57 AM
The three most exciting managers we've had in recent times. Which one had the best team?

I am sure Mowbray said something along the lines of Hibs being in the Champions League in 5 years time.....

Technically he was as good as his word.....:wink:

Booked4Being-Ugly
06-02-2010, 08:59 AM
McLeish's team but he got a large budget to spend, as we were still getting decent money from the sky deal, so a bit unfair on Mowbray/Hughes.

matty_f
06-02-2010, 09:02 AM
After much deliberation, I went for McLeish's team. Hard to argue with the quality of Sauzee (to this day my favourite ever Hibs player), Latapy, Zitelli etc.

That said, you could make a case for all of them, and as TQM mention, Collins (the 1-0 CIS cup game against the Yams was, for me, as much a demonstration on how to play the game as the 6-2 was).

Yogi is at the start of his time at Hibs, and the team he has put together has genuine quality throughout it, and at a time when Scottish football is on it's knees financially, that really increases the potential to go and do something special.

Wembley67
06-02-2010, 09:12 AM
I would say McLeish. For me and probably quite a few others, that team put the fire back into my belly and I imagine got quite a few more people back along to the games it also made a few others outside Scotland start looking for our results as well.

Fantastic question though and pretty hard one to answer :top marks

Beefster
06-02-2010, 09:15 AM
If you look at the number who moved on to, arguably, bigger platforms it has to be Mowbray - Murphy, Caldwell, Murray, Riordan, O'Connor, Boozy, Thomson, Brown, Sproule, Whittaker, Killen, Fletcher and probably more that I can't remember right now.

Mowbray did it with no money whereas McLeish (especially) and Yogi have been backed.

Having said that, I loved McLeish's team (at their best) and am loving Yogi and what he's doing.

McLeish - Sauzee (probably the classiest player I'll ever see in a Hibs shirt), Latapy, Jack, Laursen, O'Neil, Mixu, Zitelli and the rest.

I still think the best is yet to come from Yogi.

big-mo
06-02-2010, 09:46 AM
As far as results goes –

McLeish --- Played -164 Won-77 Lost-46 Drawn-41 Percent-59.5% Highest Position -3* Highest points-66

Mowbray -- Played -114 Won-54 Lost-44 Drawn-16 Percent-54.4% Highest Position-3 Highest points-61

Hughes ---- Played -25 Won-14 Lost-5 Drawn-6 Percent-68% Highest Position -? Highest points-(42 so far)

* Excludes 1st Div winners with 89pts

Hibby D
06-02-2010, 10:13 AM
I still think the best is yet to come from Yogi.

I agree :agree: Hopefully if the same poll is posted next year it will be Yogi's name I tick but for now it's Big Eck for me :not worth

Long suffering
06-02-2010, 10:21 AM
On a personal level Id go for Mowbray but I was a bit young to properly appreciate McLeish's team.

iwasthere1972
06-02-2010, 10:33 AM
the bobby williamson years........:duck::duck:

I would second that. The best years they certainly were.

No waiting in queues at ER to get in. Simply walk up with a few minutes to kick off and you could be in your seat before a ball was kicked.

Guaranteed a seat even in an all ticket match.

Plenty arm and leg room. You could even lie down on the benches in the east and have a kip if you were tired during the match.

No queuing for food or to have a pee.

Straight through to the ER ticket office on on the phone. No ring out tone in those days.

Guess the attendance? You could count it while you were there!

BRING BACK BLOBBY - I MISS THOSE DAYS. :boo hoo:

GTMRossaK3
06-02-2010, 10:34 AM
I'd pick McLeish because watching Sauzee and Latapy was such a joy to behold - and such an uplift post Duff Jimmy. Not to mention 6-2, 0-3, 3-1 etc :greengrin

Similarly, Mowbray was such a tonic post Blobby - and Dec 04/Jan 05 spell was blinding. I recall two 4-1 wins in Dundee, two 2-1 wins v Sheep and ICT and the buzz and atmosphere at ER and away was brilliant. The regular slaying of the Hun was unforgettable also :thumbsup:

Yogi has the potential though especially as neither Eck or Mowbray won owt! Which begs the question where's Collins? He won us a cup and in magnificent style :agree: That day in March 2007 was very special as was the performance - rampaging full-backs, a bullet header from the captain CH, pass and move in the midfield, Ivan on the wing, and doubles for the strikers - Benji and Fletch. Then there was the sing song .. the thought of SoL still gives me goosies!

God Bless the Hibs!

Glory Glory! :thumbsup:

Presume that's Sunshine On Leith and not our Mr Bamba!!

Hainan Hibs
06-02-2010, 10:48 AM
McLeish for me. He had a team that included some of my all time favourite players. Gave us some fantastic games like AEK Athens. He also made Hearts our bitches.

GlesgaeHibby
06-02-2010, 11:02 AM
As far as results goes –

McLeish --- Played -164 Won-77 Lost-46 Drawn-41 Percent-59.5% Highest Position -3* Highest points-66

Mowbray -- Played -114 Won-54 Lost-44 Drawn-16 Percent-54.4% Highest Position-3 Highest points-61

Hughes ---- Played -25 Won-14 Lost-5 Drawn-6 Percent-68% Highest Position -? Highest points-(42 so far)

* Excludes 1st Div winners with 89pts

What are the % figures you've quoted?

iwasthere1972
06-02-2010, 11:08 AM

Pish. :agree:

big-mo
06-02-2010, 11:09 AM

Based on 100% for a win and 50% for a draw.

iwasthere1972
06-02-2010, 11:11 AM
Based on 100% for a win and 50% for a draw.

So if we drew all our games in the SPL the % would be 50% even though the actual percentage would really be 33.3% and the win % would be like Jim Jeffries at Hearts - a big fat 0%.

Are you a Yam? :greengrin

big-mo
06-02-2010, 11:28 AM
So if we drew all our games in the SPL the % would be 50% even though the actual percentage would really be 33.3% and the win % would be like Jim Jeffries at Hearts - a big fat 0%.

Are you a Yam? :greengrin

Because I do stats going back to when a win was only 2pts, it makes it fairer, but no matter how you count it, JJ is still Mr 0%, long may it last.

clerriehibs
06-02-2010, 11:29 AM

as you say ... sauzee & latapy ... no contest.

Hibernating (Im a stoopid yam tramp)
06-02-2010, 11:51 AM
So many great players in those three teams. Sauzee and Latapy top of the tree, and still the two best players I've seen in a Hibs jersey. Mixu is another underrated guy, tremendous first touch - check his assist to Latapy at the 6-2 game. Ulrik Laursen, also a great player.

Scotty Brown and Deek for Mowbray's side. People forget how phenomonal Scotty was for us. A golden generation definitely, but for us to continue to develop players like Spoony, others have to move on.

Yogi's team definitely excites! Bamba for me would get into an eleven of these three teams. If we can keep the group together, especially Stokes and Miller, we could break a well known hoodoo.

I'd give McLeish's side the nod for now.

marleyhib
06-02-2010, 12:15 PM
McLeish, best Hibs team I have seen - and being going to ER since late 70s

I will always remember 6-2 and AEK

NORTHERNHIBBY
06-02-2010, 12:23 PM
McLeish's team, second season back in the SPL and only up to the Christmas break. Colgan rolling the ball to Gary Smith and then you just waited on a goal. Who knows what would have happened if we had strengthened in that January? Mind you, when that team fell apart, it fell apart big time and the following season was a disaster.

Hibby Kay-Yay
06-02-2010, 12:39 PM
Collins for me as he done "ever so well" in his short tenure

bornahibby
06-02-2010, 12:39 PM
Based purely on team it has to be McLeish, with the likes of Laursen, Zitelli, Mixu, etc. so I voted this way.

Ask the same question in a year though and the answer could be different...

Malthibby
06-02-2010, 01:16 PM
McLeish's team - at their best, never thought they would lose, esp. against the Yams, but hopefully the answer will be Hughes before long.

If it was 'Who was/is the best manager, Hughes.
GG'

Hibby Kay-Yay
06-02-2010, 01:24 PM
I would second that. The best years they certainly were.

No waiting in queues at ER to get in. Simply walk up with a few minutes to kick off and you could be in your seat before a ball was kicked.

Guaranteed a seat even in an all ticket match.

Plenty arm and leg room. You could even lie down on the benches in the east and have a kip if you were tired during the match.

No queuing for food or to have a pee.

Straight through to the ER ticket office on on the phone. No ring out tone in those days.

Guess the attendance? You could count it while you were there!

BRING BACK BLOBBY - I MISS THOSE DAYS. :boo hoo:

You can add all the cinema owners in Edinburgh to the Bring Back Blobbly Campaign. They've not had business as good since he left.

Dashing Bob S
06-02-2010, 05:23 PM
Nice to see us being a little more civil to Big Eck again, who had a hard time (justifiably) after defecting to the Huns. Managers and players move on in football, and holding grudges too long is a bit sad, and I thought he did okay by us. Now if Mowbray would just leave Celtic so that I can start to like him again...

hfc rd
06-02-2010, 07:14 PM
Alex Mcleish had the best side out of the three.

jacomo
06-02-2010, 09:34 PM
Nice to see us being a little more civil to Big Eck again, who had a hard time (justifiably) after defecting to the Huns. Managers and players move on in football, and holding grudges too long is a bit sad, and I thought he did okay by us. Now if Mowbray would just leave Celtic so that I can start to like him again...

Time's a great healer. The sense of betrayal at the time was overwhelming.

I agree with the general sentiments on here, though. McLeish turned the season in Division One from catastrophe to holiday, as we started swashbuckling our way back to the SPL.

His team also had a great balance of steel and class, resilience and threat. Of course the flair players were brilliant, but don't forget the workers like Jack, O'Neill and Mixu who helped create a platform for the others to express themselves.

GJP :wink: