PDA

View Full Version : 6 Nations is upon us.............

lyonhibs
05-02-2010, 06:39 PM
http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/rugby_union/default.stm

Cannot wait - I love watching rugby in the pub, with a few mates, and I even love that Edinburgh is invaded by the ****ing foreigners once every fortnight!!! :greengrin

Sunday's game will be crucial, and I think the Championship will come down to a straight shoot out between England and France sadly, although if yon wee Williams winger is on form for Wales, they could be the best outside bet.

Unless Scotland prove to be greater than the sum of our parts, I can't see much in the way of try scoring Rugby from us this year sadly!

.Sean.
07-02-2010, 02:45 PM
Rugby is utter balls and the majority of those who play it are posh fannies of the highest order. Just my opinion of course :cool2:

Golden Bear
07-02-2010, 04:25 PM
Going by the first game, I'd say we'll be lucky to avoid the wooden spoon.

The French absolutely pulverised us and unfortunately things haven't changed much from last season in so far as we just never looked like scoring a try.

Murrayfield is some stadium though - it well and truly puts Hampden into the shade.

hibsbollah
07-02-2010, 05:00 PM
Going by the first game, I'd say we'll be lucky to avoid the wooden spoon.

The French absolutely pulverised us and unfortunately things haven't changed much from last season in so far as we just never looked like scoring a try.

Murrayfield is some stadium though - it well and truly puts Hampden into the shade.

The atmosphere sounded dire though. A lot of oiled jacketed bankers sitting in silence with tartan blankets over their knees...

I'd rather go to church:yawn:

CropleyWasGod
07-02-2010, 05:28 PM
Rugby is utter balls and the majority of those who play it are posh fannies of the highest order. Just my opinion of course :cool2:

One that I'm sure you'd be willing to share with any of them in person, of course.

18/03/07
07-02-2010, 06:27 PM
Or guys that are p!sh at fitty

Ed De Gramo
07-02-2010, 07:11 PM

:top marks

NAE NOOKIE
07-02-2010, 09:59 PM
I used to love watching the 5 nations as it was then. On the morning of the game the TV would show some Scotland prop or whatever hard at work milking coos or delivering post or something the morning of the game.

Since the game turned pro it has lost its appeal.

Having said that I watched Scotland v France today and Scotland did all of the things which helped put me off watching.

Aye the French were good, but Scotland lost possession countless times in ruck situations when we had taken the bloody ball in there in the first place. :grr:

Our scrum was mince. :grr:

Our lineout from our own throw was gash :grr:

Our passing was slow and we kept dropping the bloody ball. :grr:

Our re starts from the 25 or half way more often than not were too far ahead of our forwards, giving them not an earthly of competing for the ball. :grr:

Watching Scotland play Rugby is more frustrating than watching us play football. And thats saying something.

At least at football we lose mostly coz the opposition is better than us when they have the ball.

At Rugby we tend to lose coz of what happens when WE have the ball.

seanraff07
08-02-2010, 12:07 AM
The atmosphere sounded dire though. A lot of oiled jacketed bankers sitting in silence with tartan blankets over their knees...

Couldn't agree more, the atmosphere at International Rugby is always awful even when it's Scotland vs England. I've been to one match and it was against South Africa, we got beat 27-3, it was one of the worst experiences i've ever had.

J-C
08-02-2010, 10:30 AM

Would love to see you having a go mate and I'd love to be there when those so called posh fannies knock the living **** out of you with every hard tackle.

I take you haven't stood next to some of those fannies, average height 6' plus and weighing in at 15 plus stones of solid muscle.

J-C
08-02-2010, 10:36 AM
Although 2kg a man heavier in the scrum, we were out muscled by the French, too many handling errors and far too many turnovers.

I'm fed up watching Scotland up their game for matches against Australia, NZ and England and not against the rest.

Can't believe we only had 1 tight head prop in our squad and it was in that department where the French exposed us, has to be sorted out for thr next game.

The French played a blitz defense leaving gaps where they ran at us but we didn't capitalize on these gaps and allowed them to adjust there tactics.

--------
08-02-2010, 10:42 AM

Sounds like the West Upper at ER.

Danderhall Hibs
08-02-2010, 10:52 AM

You've obviously had a bad experience - either that or you're not that clued up so you're repeating a stereotype you heard someone say.

At Rugby we tend to lose coz of what happens when WE have the ball.

I know it sounds ridiculous but it seems easier to play rugby nowadays without the ball - Jeremy Guscott said the same on Saturday after the matches. The defences are so organised nowadays that they let the other team have the ball (hence all the kicking to and fro) and wait on them making a mistake.

Golden Bear
08-02-2010, 02:16 PM
You've obviously had a bad experience - either that or you're not that clued up so you're repeating a stereotype you heard someone say.

I know it sounds ridiculous but it seems easier to play rugby nowadays without the ball - Jeremy Guscott said the same on Saturday after the matches. The defences are so organised nowadays that they let the other team have the ball (hence all the kicking to and fro) and wait on them making a mistake.

:agree:

The ball has almost become incidental in today's game - they'd be as well playing with a *loody haggis!

Oh for the days when rugby was an open game and we had guys like Jim Renwick and John Rutherford to provide the entertainment.

Golden Bear
08-02-2010, 02:18 PM

You'd better not say that anywhere in the vicinity of the Borders or it will be your balls yer worrying about!

:greengrin

An Leargaidh
08-02-2010, 02:21 PM
My team Ireland will win again this year IMHO having won our first Grand Slam last year since 1948 and the Triple Crown, repeating our capture of that trophy in 2007.

And we have, again IMHO, the best "anthem" of the six nations...

Ireland's Call

Come the day and come the hour
Come the power and the glory
We have come to answer
Our Country's call
From the four proud provinces of Ireland

Ireland, Ireland
Together standing tall
Shoulder to shoulder
We'll answer Ireland's call

From the mighty Glens of Antrim
From the rugged hills of Galway
From the walls of Limerick
And Dublin Bay

Ireland, Ireland
Together standing tall
Shoulder to shoulder

Hearts of steel
And heads unbowing
Vowing never to be broken
We will fight, until
We can fight no more

Ireland, Ireland
Together standing tall
Shoulder to shoulder

Brings a tear to my eye every time I sing it :greengrin

Cammy :bye:

Danderhall Hibs
08-02-2010, 02:46 PM
Oh for the days when rugby was an open game and we had guys like Jim Renwick and John Rutherford to provide the entertainment.

Some wee wily guys again would be brilliant. There's barely a player under 6ft and 17st nowadays - which probably is the reason for all the injuries.

Jonah Lomu has a lot to answer for!

.Sean.
08-02-2010, 05:09 PM

If i'm out on a saturday, i'll usually start in the same pub. The rugby lot go there after their match. The majority are loudmouthed, arrogant erseholes. Most others who drink in the particular pub at the same time who isn't a rugby person are of the same opinion.

Hainan Hibs
08-02-2010, 05:18 PM
And you always get one tit thinking "Look at me clapping at the opposition's try, look how cool/hard as nails I (think I) look" (Before anyone asks, aye, it was a Scottish person :greengrin)

I quite like watching Rugby as a sport but the majority of fans I've came across are knobs.

Danderhall Hibs
08-02-2010, 05:34 PM
If i'm out on a saturday, i'll usually start in the same pub. The rugby lot go there after their match. The majority are loudmouthed, arrogant erseholes. Most others who drink in the particular pub at the same time who isn't a rugby person are of the same opinion.

Which team? Haddington?

Calvin
08-02-2010, 10:06 PM
I hate Rugby as it is a stupid game where you can win without scoring a goal.

I used to not mind it before I started going to Edinburgh games a few seasons ago and went 4 games without seeing a try.

They should bring in a rule that until you score a try, you have to run every penalty. Until then, I'm aff it.

As for those who are rugby fans/play rugby, a lot of them are alright but nearly every person I know who attends a private school prefers rugby to football, so I know exactly where Sean is coming from. It definitely has private school connotations, as even demonstrated by the OP. However I went to PL which considers it's self a rugby school and it was quite popular there so maybe it's an unfair stereotype.

I like a lot of people that like rugby, but just hate the sport. All this calling the ref 'sir' business and the winners clapping the losers off the pitch. It's ridiculous. I think the sport is a bit up it's self in that sense, and although I'm sure rugby fans will highlight the diving and injury feigning in football and I would agree to a sense, but a middleground between the two would be better.

I heard once that Football was a Gentleman's game played by Thugs and Rugby was a Thug's game played by Gentlemen, but with the recent spate of gouging offences and quite a but of stamping going on too, I'm not convinced.

Rugby players are also a bit too, ahem, 'frolicsome' for my liking.

.Sean.
08-02-2010, 10:21 PM

I used to not mind it before I started going to Edinburgh games a few seasons ago and went 4 games without seeing a try.

They should bring in a rule that until you score a try, you have to run every penalty. Until then, I'm aff it.

As for those who are rugby fans/play rugby, a lot of them are alright but nearly every person I know who attends a private school prefers rugby to football, so I know exactly where Sean is coming from. It definitely has private school connotations, as even demonstrated by the OP. However I went to PL which considers it's self a rugby school and it was quite popular there so maybe it's an unfair stereotype.

I like a lot of people that like rugby, but just hate the sport. All this calling the ref 'sir' business and the winners clapping the losers off the pitch. It's ridiculous. I think the sport is a bit up it's self in that sense, and although I'm sure rugby fans will highlight the diving and injury feigning in football and I would agree to a sense, but a middleground between the two would be better.

I heard once that Football was a Gentleman's game played by Thugs and Rugby was a Thug's game played by Gentlemen, but with the recent spate of gouging offences and quite a but of stamping going on too, I'm not convinced.

Post of the day Calvin.

Danderhall Hibs
08-02-2010, 10:28 PM
They should bring in a rule that until you score a try, you have to run every penalty.

In a way I quite like this idea.

the winners clapping the losers off the pitch. It's ridiculous.

Both teams clap eachother off the park - not just the winning side.

And does "frolicsome" include putting your mobile on vibrate then sticking it up your arse? :greengrin

Oh and BTW PL might class themselves a rugby school but we all know deep down they're just a bunch of ..... :greengrin

Calvin
08-02-2010, 11:53 PM
In a way I quite like this idea.

Both teams clap eachother off the park - not just the winning side.

And does "frolicsome" include putting your mobile on vibrate then sticking it up your arse? :greengrin

Oh and BTW PL might class themselves a rugby school but we all know deep down they're just a bunch of ..... :greengrin

With regards to the clapping, I realise it is reciprocal but at least the winning team deserve it. Although I suppose you can't have a panel of judges sitting deciding whether the teams merit a clapping-off based on their performance :greengrin

Yes, although I was never present in the locker rooms at said times as I have always been shocking at sports and it is my bitterness about that shining through now!

And I didn't class PL as a rugby school, we could hardly muster enough for 7s tournaments, let alone for the proper school team!

J-C
09-02-2010, 09:32 AM

You'd be happy going to see Hibs 4 games in a row scoring zero goals then.

They prefer rugby at private schools because that is the main sport taught there.

It's called respect to the referee, which is something missing in football and clapping the other team off is a sign of respect and sportsmanship for them, remember, rugby is a brutal game at times.

Explain what exactly you mean by frolicsome, I'm sure there's a few hefty 19 st props who'd like to disagree with you.:greengrin

--------
09-02-2010, 03:03 PM

Couldn't agree with you more.

Tiresome business, really, the Six Nations. :yawn:

Calvin
09-02-2010, 06:37 PM
You'd be happy going to see Hibs 4 games in a row scoring zero goals then.

They prefer rugby at private schools because that is the main sport taught there.

It's called respect to the referee, which is something missing in football and clapping the other team off is a sign of respect and sportsmanship for them, remember, rugby is a brutal game at times.

Explain what exactly you mean by frolicsome, I'm sure there's a few hefty 19 st props who'd like to disagree with you.:greengrin

1. I doubt I'd ever see 4 0-0s in a row.

2. Fair enough.

3. I am happy with respect and sportsmanship, but I feel in rugby it is overdone to insincerity.

4. It was a partially tongue in cheek comment about how rugby players are a lot more comfortable feeling my ass than footballers :greengrin

Danderhall Hibs
09-02-2010, 06:56 PM
4. It was a partially tongue in cheek comment about how rugby players are a lot more comfortable feeling my ass than footballers :greengrin

You should've said rugby players are more comfortable with their own sexuality. :wink:

hibsbollah
09-02-2010, 07:04 PM
I hate Rugby as it is a stupid game

You should have ended your post there:greengrin:top marks

James Connolly
11-02-2010, 01:54 PM
Heading down to Wales tomorrow morning; Neath Workies Club tomorrow for some nonsense, then over to the Rhondda Valley for a couple of days.

Not really into rugby, but would never miss the trip to Wales!:wink: