PDA

View Full Version : Liam O'Sullivan

Gaffer1875
05-02-2010, 06:10 PM
I aquired a signed Hibs football back in 2001/02 from a coca cola rep, it had the full squad on the ball, most of which were near impossible to make out! However, one name was very clear, Liam O'Sullivan.

Am I right saying he sadly committed suicide?

What kind of player was he? Did he come through at the same time as McManus/Murray etc?

lyonhibs
05-02-2010, 06:11 PM
Drugs overdose apparently

http://thescotsman.scotsman.com/scotland/Promising-Hibernian-FC-player-dies.2322781.jp

Storar
05-02-2010, 06:12 PM
Pretty sure it was drug related as opposed to suicide. That's all I really remember

Billychaotic182
05-02-2010, 06:13 PM
I found this on him

http://thescotsman.scotsman.com/scotland/Promising-Hibernian-FC-player-dies.2322781.jp

Gaffer1875
05-02-2010, 06:17 PM
Drugs overdose apparently

http://thescotsman.scotsman.com/scotland/Promising-Hibernian-FC-player-dies.2322781.jp (http://thescotsman.scotsman.com/scotland/Promising-Hibernian-FC-player-dies.2322781.jp)

Thanks for that.

Very very sad.

jakedance
05-02-2010, 06:35 PM
Liam died of a drugs overdose, it wasn't suicide, and he was a centre half in his time. I knew him quite well, I was good friends with someone in his family, and he was sound as a pound. A good guy who made a costly mistake.

I was at his funeral, well I say I was but I was standing outside with a few dozen others who couldn't fit in because the place was packed.

From what I remember he had been out on loan to a club in Norway (I think) and had returned to get a place in the first team squad. He probably wasn't a million miles away from getting a game. Such a sad time.

Hakim Sar
05-02-2010, 06:43 PM
was this not when there were a few deaths out in haddington that this happened? Did mark dempsie not die in similar circumstances?

jdships
05-02-2010, 06:44 PM
Liam died of a drugs overdose, it wasn't suicide, and he was a centre half in his time. I knew him quite well, I was good friends with someone in his family, and he was sound as a pound. A good guy who made a costly mistake.

I was at his funeral, well I say I was but I was standing outside with a few dozen others who couldn't fit in because the place was packed.

From what I remember he had been out on loan to a club in Norway (I think) and had returned to get a place in the first team squad. He probably wasn't a million miles away from getting a game. Such a sad time.

May I say you have summed this sad episode up perfectly !
I too was "standing outside " at his funeral having known him from his Hutchie days.
Hard to tell how far he would have gone but seemed a hardworking young man .
:agree:

the_ginger_hibee
05-02-2010, 07:22 PM
was this not when there were a few deaths out in haddington that this happened? Did mark dempsie not die in similar circumstances?

Still alive. Retired through injury.

lyonhibs
05-02-2010, 07:41 PM
Still alive. Retired through injury.

That's what I thought.

I was worried that there had been a spate of Hibbies just dying tragically that I'd missed somehow!

oconnors_strip
05-02-2010, 09:01 PM
What kind of player was he? Did he come through at the same time as McManus/Murray etc?

he was a tall centre half, looked clumsy cause of his height but read the game well. i will always remember him chopping strikers down at edge of the box and ref waving play on:greengrin yes he came through same time as them, got a few cracking squad pictures, jason gardiner is in them aswell.

i was at "trigger's" funeral as i knew him from watching him play, he was a great lad and looked promising, but sadly he took the risk of drugs.

dirtydirk
05-02-2010, 09:32 PM
Yeah good player. Scored a double in a 2-2 draw with rangers in the reserves not long before he died. Weird- but I remember talking to john hughes at his funeral. It was the day of the celtic v rangers cup final and am sure alex mcleish dedicated the win to liam. The reality was, that hibs had a bad problem with drugs at that time and for the next couple of years.