PDA

View Full Version : Andy McNeil (please don't boo him)

onemcnamara
05-02-2010, 11:15 AM
After the treatment of DVZ last week can we please not boo ex-players who get transferred without asking to go. Especially when they are born and bred Hibbies.

--------
05-02-2010, 11:20 AM
After the treatment of DVZ last week can we please not boo ex-players who get transferred without asking to go. Especially when they are born and bred Hibbies.

But let's not go all gaga and misty-eyed over them either? :rolleyes:

ancient hibee
05-02-2010, 11:22 AM
I'll hurl filthy abuse at whoever I want-it is my right as a fan.

Sorry -thought I would help the thread along.

Franck is God
05-02-2010, 11:27 AM

I think a sensible request not to boo a player that was dumped by our previous manager is hardly being misty eyed.

Andy McNeil deserves a bit of respect from every Hibs fan, he played his part in winning the cup in 2007 and he'll get a wee bit of applause from me when he takes the field tomorrow.

He's a very good shot stopper and although I expect to win the game quite comfortably he is capable of making that quite difficult, hope he has a good game but just not too good....

onemcnamara
05-02-2010, 11:27 AM

Don't think you could get misty eyed over an ex-Hibs goalie

Martin
05-02-2010, 11:32 AM

Agreed. It may not have come of for Andy - be he is a good Hibs fan and deserves respect.

Kaiser_Sauzee
05-02-2010, 11:38 AM
Remember his save to keep it at 0-0 in the cup final. Could have been a very different game had it gone in.

HibbiesandtheBaddies
05-02-2010, 11:49 AM

:agree:

NORTHERNHIBBY
05-02-2010, 11:52 AM

What happened to DVZ last week?

zlatan
05-02-2010, 11:57 AM
Remember his save to keep it at 0-0 in the cup final. Could have been a very different game had it gone in.

That save is one of the biggest myths in Hibbydom tbh.

Feel sorry for McNeil, we needed an experienced keeper to settle the fans goalkeeper jitters post Zibi and Brown, right place at the wrong time.

Franck is God
05-02-2010, 11:58 AM
What happened to DVZ last week?

He surprisingly got boo'd by a section of the support, really wasn't sure why, he's never said anything bad about the club that I'm aware of.

I've seen much worse players in a Hibs shirt than DVZ.

lucky
05-02-2010, 12:05 PM
Andy McNeil deserves to be cheered as he is one a few Hibs fans to have actually won anything whilst playing for the club we all love

--------
05-02-2010, 12:08 PM

Feel sorry for McNeil, we needed an experienced keeper to settle the fans goalkeeper jitters post Zibi and Brown, right place at the wrong time.

Yup. Just watched it - it isn't that special.

Personally, I hope he has a miserable game on Saturday.

Speedway
05-02-2010, 12:15 PM
He surprisingly got boo'd by a section of the support, really wasn't sure why, he's never said anything bad about the club that I'm aware of.

DVZ was boo-ed for not meeting the expectations of the fans and for having the audacity to wear the green when he wasn't 'Hibs Class'.

Personally, I'll only boo Lofty if he plays a blinder.

Jamesie
05-02-2010, 12:29 PM
So you won't be booing him if we're 0-1 down with five minutes left and piling the pressure on his goal then? :wink::greengrin

mmmmhibby
05-02-2010, 12:30 PM
Agreed. It may not have come of for Andy - be he is a good Hibs fan and deserves respect.

aye, and he plays for montrose!!! How much would it make u cringe if some hibbies booed him?

lEXO
05-02-2010, 12:32 PM

Myths are somethings that might not have happened.His fine save in the final did, and it did make a difference at the time.Your not giving the guy anywhere near enough credit for it.Why is it so difficult for some to give him a bit credit for his contribution to a great day for his and our club?

brog
05-02-2010, 12:36 PM
I think a sensible request not to boo a player that was dumped by our previous manager is hardly being misty eyed.

Andy McNeil deserves a bit of respect from every Hibs fan, he played his part in winning the cup in 2007 and he'll get a wee bit of applause from me when he takes the field tomorrow.

He's a very good shot stopper and although I expect to win the game quite comfortably he is capable of making that quite difficult, hope he has a good game but just not too good....

Couldn't agree more, let's cheer him on to the park, again at start of 2nd half & stick a few past him in between.

--------
05-02-2010, 12:52 PM
Myths are somethings that might not have happened.His fine save in the final did, and it did make a difference at the time.Your not giving the guy anywhere near enough credit for it.Why is it so difficult for some to give him a bit credit for his contribution to a great day for his and our club?

If we're talking about the save from Naismith's back-header at the corner early on, the only reason that that save looks 'fine' is because McNeil's a good bit shorter than your average goalkeeper. He's caught flat-footed, well back on his heels, and scoops a ball over the line for a second corner that any of our four present senior keepers would have gathered to hand quite comfortably.

It's hardly a world-shattering save.

Throughout that first half he was regularly (and easily) out-jumped by Steven Naismith, for crying out loud.

It's not about denying him credit - it's about telling it as it is rather than creating legends where no legend exists.

Like I say, I hope he has a thoroughly miserable afternoon tomorrow.

Edit: He actually makes a much better save from the follow-up to a Killie freekick when the score was 1-0.

NOLA
05-02-2010, 12:54 PM
hope andy Mc has a good game tomorrow! should be playing at a higher level IMO

Broken Gnome
05-02-2010, 01:00 PM
I doubt he'd attractive any negative attention - he won a trophy with Hibs, that should be the be all and end all. I hope he was no chance with any of the seven goals we score. At least. I'll even allow him one last minute wonder save that keeps it at 7-0.

franks
05-02-2010, 01:02 PM
Will applaud him as he runs towards the FF stand but hope he has a nightmare on saturday. Wish him all the best except when he plays Hibs.

Part/Time Supporter
05-02-2010, 01:12 PM
I doubt he'd attractive any negative attention - he won a trophy with Hibs, that should be the be all and end all. I hope he was no chance with any of the seven goals we score. At least. I'll even allow him one last minute wonder save that keeps it at 7-0.

More to the point, although McNeil did have the odd disaster (particularly in derbies), he was no Simon Brown, let alone Zibi.

Keith_M
05-02-2010, 01:22 PM
I think some people are taking this thread off topic.

Regardless of the quality of the player, I see no reason to boo the guy when he's shown no disrespect to Hibs. Same with DVZ.

If a player is released, yet doesn't bad mouth the club or anyone at it, what exactly is their crime?

Dashing Bob S
05-02-2010, 01:26 PM
I'll be cheering Andy onto the park. He's a local lad from Leith, a dyed-in-the-wall Hibby, by all accounts an all-round good egg, and one of the three living goalkeepers with a Hibs medal from a major domestic trophy.

What's not to cheer?

His only 'crimes' if you can call them that, are 1. Short-arsedness, 2. Having the misfortune to be pitched early because when we had the worse two Hibernian keepers in living memory (in your face Olly G!) and being supported by a goalkeeping coach who managed to turn the promising into mediocre and the medicore into blind, blundering drunkards flailing around in the box. Apparently his training methods included spraying amonia in their eyes and nailing one foot to the ground.

So let's give him a sporting cheer, while screaming 'lob him' every time a Hibs forward gets the ball in their half.

NORTHERNHIBBY
05-02-2010, 01:31 PM

That's an odd one. Not his fault that he was never a good enough player to be in our team and to be fair on him, once Hughes had made that plain to him, he did not sit around on his erchie picking up wages.

Alex Trager
05-02-2010, 01:35 PM
theres a reason why motrose are at the bottom of division 3 with a goal difference of -20

Danderhall Hibs
05-02-2010, 01:39 PM
theres a reason why motrose are at the bottom of division 3 with a goal difference of -20

Lack of a striker?

JoeT
05-02-2010, 01:43 PM

that's a lot of lobs

Alex Trager
05-02-2010, 01:44 PM
Dont you think that's mental;he's playing for the worst professional team in scotland(atm) but three years ago won the cis cup

--------
05-02-2010, 01:50 PM
Dont you think that's mental;he's playing for the worst professional team in scotland(atm) but three years ago won the cis cup

You specify 'professional'.

At least he hasn't sunk to the depths of signing for The Comedy Factory along Gorgie.... :devil:

Sir David Gray
05-02-2010, 01:50 PM
I hope he has a shocking afternoon and has nightmares tomorrow night about the many goals that he let in a few hours previous.

In saying that, he was part of the squad who gave me the best day of my life so far. I couldn't possibly boo any of them (except for Michael Stewart :greengrin) and he will receive a clap from me tomorrow as he runs towards the goal at the FF end.

.Sean.
05-02-2010, 01:59 PM
Andy certainly does not deserve any kind of booing. I've met him several times, both when he was at the club and after he left, on every occassion he was a gent. By all accounts he's what you'd call a 'model-pro'.

Unfortunately for him, he made an absolute howler at Tynecastle early on in his career, the lad was 19 and the saying 'thrown in at the deep end' doesn't do his situation justice. It was a mistake that the media pounced on and they placed him alongside his predecessers Brown and Malkowski as a calamity keeper, which i don't think he is. Talk about pressure at an early age.

More than likely i'll applaud him when his name gets read out pre game and i'll be surprised if I am the only person that does. In saying that, i'll not be unhappy if we stick 4 or 5 past him tomorrow.

WestEndHibee
05-02-2010, 02:21 PM
Andy McNeil Helped give us our finest day of football for the last 18 years! There's no way he should be booed. Fair enough if Montrose score and he gives us a couple of GIRUY signs. Otherwise lets applaud him on the park and hope he doesn't have the game of his life to keep us out.

MountcastleHibs
05-02-2010, 02:32 PM

I was totally disgusted by the booing of DVZ... The guy always gave no less than 100% for the club we all love. He just wasnae good enough, but that is no reason to boo him.

Viva_Palmeiras
05-02-2010, 02:33 PM
Booing.... I blame big brother myself :greengrin

lEXO
05-02-2010, 02:41 PM
If we're talking about the save from Naismith's back-header at the corner early on, the only reason that that save looks 'fine' is because McNeil's a good bit shorter than your average goalkeeper. He's caught flat-footed, well back on his heels, and scoops a ball over the line for a second corner that any of our four present senior keepers would have gathered to hand quite comfortably.

Throughout that first half he was regularly (and easily) out-jumped by Steven Naismith, for crying out loud.

It's not about denying him credit - it's about telling it as it is rather than creating legends where no legend exists.

Edit: He actually makes a much better save from the follow-up to a Killie freekick when the score was 1-0.
Nobody is trying to create a legend status for him.People would just like him to get a decent reception.That,s not to much to ask really of a member of a cup winning Hibs team surely?
I remember that win for many reasons, including a very good team performance from back to front.If you want to pick out what you think is faults on that day from the keeper then so be it.But many others will be happy that a young Hibs supporting goalie won a medal at the club.

Jonnyboy
05-02-2010, 02:41 PM
My take on it is that no reaction at all is the best path to take.

Yes, he was part of a cup winning team and was cheered with the rest of them BUT he's going to be at ER trying his hardest to stop Hibs winning so .........

:wink:

hfc rd
05-02-2010, 02:51 PM
True, no need to boo him. Maybe try to put him off when he is going to take the goal kicks. But lets not boo him as he has done nothing wrong to Hibs, to be booed for?

Hibs On Tour
05-02-2010, 03:03 PM
I'll be cheering Andy onto the park. He's a local lad from Leith, a dyed-in-the-wall Hibby, by all accounts an all-round good egg, and one of the three living goalkeepers with a Hibs medal from a major domestic trophy.

What's not to cheer?

His only 'crimes' if you can call them that, are 1. Short-arsedness, 2. Having the misfortune to be pitched early because when we had the worse two Hibernian keepers in living memory (in your face Olly G!) and being supported by a goalkeeping coach who managed to turn the promising into mediocre and the medicore into blind, blundering drunkards flailing around in the box. Apparently his training methods included spraying amonia in their eyes and nailing one foot to the ground.

So let's give him a sporting cheer, while screaming 'lob him' every time a Hibs forward gets the ball in their half.

Myth - same height as Goram was and he didn't seem to let it affect him. He'll get a welcoming clap/cheer from me as I don't think he deserved the virtriol he got from our fans after Tynie [IMHO we destroyed the lad's confidence far more than his own mistake did]. For the rest of the game however he'll get bloody pelters - as JohnnyBoy says, he's doing his best to STOP us winning so he's fair game for that!

IWasThere2016
05-02-2010, 03:12 PM

Aye - nae need. A cup-winner no that long ago with us! :thumbsup:

Part/Time Supporter
05-02-2010, 03:16 PM

I was totally disgusted by the booing of DVZ... The guy always gave no less than 100% for the club we all love. He just wasnae good enough, but that is no reason to boo him.

I was more baffled than disgusted.

Dunbar Hibee
05-02-2010, 03:40 PM
I was more baffled than disgusted.

Same:agree:

Rory89
05-02-2010, 03:43 PM
The guy was a useless keeper who made us all brick it every time the ball came near him and ultimately gave us all numerous terrible memories, but he didn't mean to be that bad. Therefore I'm very surprised that anyone would want to boo him or applud him, he doesn't really deserve credit or stick.

I'll react to him the same as any other Montrose player, hope the rest of our support do the same.

Part/Time Supporter
05-02-2010, 04:00 PM
Just a pity Paul Tosh is cup-tied (http://soccernet.espn.go.com/preview?id=287114&cc=5739), as he would have got a very warm reception for his achievements in a Hibs jersey.

:hide:

Judas Iscariot
05-02-2010, 04:08 PM

Who?

seanraff07
05-02-2010, 04:12 PM
I don't mind McNeil cause he was part of the cup winning side and didn't go to the Old Firm. That's enough to accept the fact we shouldn't really be booing him.:agree:

Dunbar Hibee
05-02-2010, 04:16 PM
Who?

Ok spelling police.:yawn::wink:

Sunny1875
05-02-2010, 04:18 PM
hope andy Mc has a good game tomorrow! should be playing at a higher level IMO

Will bring along some stepladders for him then

Judas Iscariot
05-02-2010, 04:31 PM
Ok spelling police.:yawn::wink:

:spammy:

(((Fergus)))
05-02-2010, 05:51 PM
Yup. Just watched it - it isn't that special.

Personally, I hope he has a miserable game on Saturday.

Have to say I was enormously grateful for it at the time.

I hope he plays well but our strikers play better.

NAE NOOKIE
05-02-2010, 07:46 PM
Andy was part of a Hibs cup winning team and a Hibs fan to boot.

I for one will clap him on and then hope he lets in a pile of goals.

I remember Jim Leighton coming back to ER with Aberdeen and getting a great reception from the crowd. I think that showed that the Hibs support have a bit of class when required.

Lets hope we show it tomorrow.

By the way. I couldnt understand why DVZ got bood either. No reaction at all would have been fine, but what had he done to get bood ? :bitchy:

sunshine1875
05-02-2010, 08:21 PM
I will be applauding him as he runs towards the FF. I also hope that he has a good game, though I think that he will have to still pick the ball out of the net a few times.

I would not be surprised if Andy is actually a Hibs.net poster:wink:

Pretty Boy
05-02-2010, 08:27 PM
Anyone who boos Andy McNeill should be a bit embarassed by themselves TBH.

Guy was an honest pro who gave his best for Hibs, he was unfortunately pitched in a bit too early and ultimately wasn't good enough. He is a cup winner with us though, didn't choose to leave and has never bad mouthed us so he deserves a bit of respect.

He is also far better than the 3rd division and really should be looking to get himself sorted with a first divison team next season.

cjhibee1
05-02-2010, 08:39 PM
If people boo him its nothing sinister. If he is booed its a bit of banter between a former player and current fans. Football is only a sport after all and I'm sure that, as a professional footballer, he can take bit of stick. He wasn't a particularly great goalkeeper but he won't be booed by me.

Monts
05-02-2010, 08:49 PM
The guy was a useless keeper who made us all brick it every time the ball came near him and ultimately gave us all numerous terrible memories, but he didn't mean to be that bad. Therefore I'm very surprised that anyone would want to boo him or applud him, he doesn't really deserve credit or stick.

I'll react to him the same as any other Montrose player, hope the rest of our support do the same.

Over exagerate much?

Capt Mainwaring
05-02-2010, 08:55 PM
No need to Boo - far from it . How many goalkeepers have you cheered to victory in a major cup final?

Wasn't the best goalie we've ever had but by far from the worst.

Save the vitriol for those far more deserving.

kevin Thomson anyone?

Iggy Pope
05-02-2010, 09:53 PM

Where has anyone other than you used the term 'world shattering' or 'legend'? And what kind of save would shatter the world anyway. Get a grip man. You're letting an obvious dislike of the boy get in the way of the facts. He made a save that kept us 0-0 in a game we went on to win.
McNeill is one of all too few medal winning Hibs players.
Budgie and Jim Herriot (Can't recall McNeill losing six at any time far less in a final) would get big welcomes at ER and both were often as ***** as they were decent.
Can't welcome back one of our own? So much for the Hibernian family - your post is an embarrassment.

Expecting Rain
05-02-2010, 09:59 PM
I didn`t think Andy was good enough to stay on but he should be shown respect for making the grade, playing for the team he supported and winning a cup with his local team, i can`t for the life of me think why anybody would show any kind of animosity towards him.

500miles
05-02-2010, 10:19 PM
Made possibly the best save I have ever seen against Falkirk away from home a couple of years ago.

I still think we shattered his confidence, as he certainly started brightly. Doesn't deserve to be mentioned in the same breath as Brown or Zibi.

sixtwo
05-02-2010, 10:20 PM
I probably should read the thread but alcohol prohibits me from doing so.

McNeil is a player I want to do well. If he was 6inches taller I'd keep him it Er. I wanted him to do well as he is a local lad but the truth is he is not very good. He made several mistakes and unfortunately some of those were against hearts. I hope he has a blind dwarf performance tomorrow and plays like andy goram for the ret of the season. He has the skills and attributes to do so:agree:

ZippytheHibee
05-02-2010, 10:23 PM

Agreed. We should respect our players who have turned out in the Hibs shirt - not boo them.

It troubles me how fickle some people are.

Toaods
05-02-2010, 10:37 PM
although critical of him when he was in the team I didn't boo him then and I'll certainly not boo him now when his name is called out.

Once he crosses the line though, he's fair game and no different from any other player out to stop Hibs so he'll be treated the same too...

......BOOOOOOOOO

in my best efforts to distract/put him off....:devil:

Have to add, I'd have no problem whatsoever in offering to buy the guy a beer after the game whether he was interested in me or not.:thumbsup:

--------
05-02-2010, 11:39 PM
Nobody is trying to create a legend status for him.People would just like him to get a decent reception.That,s not to much to ask really of a member of a cup winning Hibs team surely?
I remember that win for many reasons, including a very good team performance from back to front.If you want to pick out what you think is faults on that day from the keeper then so be it.But many others will be happy that a young Hibs supporting goalie won a medal at the club.

I'm happy that he won a medal, too.

I'm just as happy as you are, but no, I'm not happier than you.

I'm equally happy that Andy won a medal in a Cup Final playing for Hibs.

i'm even happier that it was a winners' medal, because that meant that Hibs won the game, and the League Cup.

But the save you and others go on about wasn't a wonder-save to keep us in the game. It wasn't even Andy's best save of the game - his best one, and the one that DID matter was the later one at the free-kick to stop them equalising.

Watch the match and you'll see what I mean.

I just like to keep things a wee touch in proportion, OK?

If any single player should be getting praise for that game it's Benji - his goals are different class from anything else in that game. IMHO.

Toaods
06-02-2010, 12:05 AM
If any single player should be getting praise for that game it's Benji - his goals are different class from anything else in that game. IMHO.

:agree: if only he'd went to Leith Academy....he'd be a legend.

At least McNeill is only going to get booed as an opponent, poor old Benji

:greengrin

lEXO
06-02-2010, 04:04 AM
I'm happy that he won a medal, too.

I'm just as happy as you are, but no, I'm not happier than you.

I'm equally happy that Andy won a medal in a Cup Final playing for Hibs.

i'm even happier that it was a winners' medal, because that meant that Hibs won the game, and the League Cup.

But the save you and others go on about wasn't a wonder-save to keep us in the game. It wasn't even Andy's best save of the game - his best one, and the one that DID matter was the later one at the free-kick to stop them equalising.

Watch the match and you'll see what I mean.

I just like to keep things a wee touch in proportion, OK?

If you want to keep things in proportion that is fine bye me.Let,s get it right?If i watch the match you will see what i mean?
Point1 Dotnt need to I was there.
Point 2 Or out of proportion may i dare to ask?
Point 3 Awe cmon.A comparison against two guys on the same winning team?Ability is nothing without hard work? 1 is there, 1 would loved to be there?
Point 4 If you feel that bitter about it boo the guy and tell all about you why.I will be when he comes out at kickoff. Not booing that. is.

hibbiedon
06-02-2010, 05:55 AM
:top marks

Well said :top marks

hibsbollah
06-02-2010, 06:43 AM
I didn`t think Andy was good enough to stay on but he should be shown respect for making the grade, playing for the team he supported and winning a cup with his local team, i can`t for the life of me think why anybody would show any kind of animosity towards him.

keep the faith
06-02-2010, 09:11 AM
Andy was part of a Hibs cup winning team and a Hibs fan to boot.

I for one will clap him on and then hope he lets in a pile of goals.

I remember Jim Leighton coming back to ER with Aberdeen and getting a great reception from the crowd. I think that showed that the Hibs support have a bit of class when required.

Lets hope we show it tomorrow.

By the way. I couldnt understand why DVZ got bood either. No reaction at all would have been fine, but what had he done to get bood ? :bitchy:

:agree: I think appluase for a former player who has given our club respect is a classy thing to do and should be what we are all about.

It also makes the booing of those who dont respect the hibees so much funnier (Thomson, Miller etc) Who can forget Agathe being booed from his first touch to his last. Its was relentless and the guy had a howler of a game. Really funny.

Andy McNeil is a supporter who Im sure will feel had a rough deal at Hibs, yet he did not have a pop and remains a fan. I think it was right to let him go, but I wish the guy well and hope we show a bit of class today by giving him some applause then sticking five past him.

Jack
06-02-2010, 09:15 AM
Have to add, I'd have no problem whatsoever in offering to buy the guy a beer after the game whether he was interested in me or not.:thumbsup:

He wont be in the Coopers after the game!
I will be, you can buy me a pint instead!

Toaods
06-02-2010, 09:39 AM
He wont be in the Coopers after the game!
I will be, you can buy me a pint instead!

...you've not had many clean sheets either...:greengrin

Kojock
06-02-2010, 09:51 AM
Booooooooooooooooooooo

Andy, Andy GTF
Andy GTF.

Your *****e and you know you are

:devil::devil::devil::devil::devil:

hibiedude
06-02-2010, 09:57 AM
FFS can't boo ex-Hibs players

Can't leave early

What next ?

:grr:

Toaods
06-02-2010, 10:00 AM

Can't leave early

What next ?

must eat a pie.:cool2:

Jack
06-02-2010, 10:16 AM
...you've not had many clean sheets either...:greengrin

I have NEVER conceded a goal at ER :greengrin :greengrin

Hibs On Tour
06-02-2010, 01:05 PM

Complete pish, IMHO.

Hibs On Tour
06-02-2010, 01:09 PM
Made possibly the best save I have ever seen against Falkirk away from home a couple of years ago.

I still think we shattered his confidence, as he certainly started brightly. Doesn't deserve to be mentioned in the same breath as Brown or Zibi.

:agree: Agree 100%

--------
06-02-2010, 01:15 PM

Can't leave early

What next ?

Dinnae girn or grump or disagree with folks - sit nicely in your seat and don't make a noise.

And applaud all the best efforts of the opposition like the good wee sportsman you are.

blackpoolhibs
06-02-2010, 02:07 PM
Maybe we should be cheering him now?:wink:

sixtwo
06-02-2010, 03:13 PM
according to preston, mcneill got a very good reception when he came out for the second half:thumbsup:

bob12345
06-02-2010, 03:59 PM
McNeil played very well, could have been double figures without him.

Malthibby
06-02-2010, 04:46 PM
Indeedy. In fact it would absolutely have been double. Hopefully this sort of exposure will see him climb the leagues. Nice to see Riordan & Benji take time out to talk to him at the end.
GG

col02
06-02-2010, 05:07 PM
McNeil is far too good a keeper to be playing in the lowest league in Scotland imho. As someone who more than played their part in Hibs CIS cup success he fully deserved the applause the Hibs support offered him today at the end of the match. I wish him good luck in getting up through the leagues and still think there is a good keeper in there.

crash
06-02-2010, 05:10 PM
Definitely MOM today.

Alex Trager
06-02-2010, 05:12 PM
He was superb the day
:top marks

MussyHibby
06-02-2010, 05:38 PM
He was great today, always has been a decent shotstopper, just sometimes his decision making was not the best. He deserves to be at a better team.

Wish him well in the future.

Deek01
06-02-2010, 05:38 PM
McNeil is far too good a keeper to be playing in the lowest league in Scotland imho. As someone who more than played their part in Hibs CIS cup success he fully deserved the applause the Hibs support offered him today at the end of the match. I wish him good luck in getting up through the leagues and still think there is a good keeper in there.

Andy McNeil has been training with Raith Rovers all season so hope he might get a chance at a deal there.

Capt Mainwaring
06-02-2010, 05:45 PM
Andy had a great game today and certainly saved the score from reaching 7 or 8.

I hope he appreciated the warm welcome he got from the Hibs fans when he came on for the second half. Well deserved.

TornadoHibby
06-02-2010, 05:57 PM
Andy had a great game today and certainly saved the score from reaching 7 or 8.

I hope he appreciated the warm welcome he got from the Hibs fans when he came on for the second half. Well deserved.

Andy had some sensational saves today and showed that he is a decent keeper despite what some on here say about him, a lot of which is harsh and unjustified IMO! :confused:

I just hope that his best saves are part of the TV coverage and that it brings him to the attention of better teams than the one he currently plays for! :agree:

He deserves a chance with a better team! :agree:

Well done young man! You did well today and had it not been for you, the score would have been embarrassing for your team! :agree:

howdenthehibby
06-02-2010, 06:05 PM
Well done Andy Mcneil ,very good today and a great reception from the hibs fans and players .IMO could do a job for a Dunfermline or Raith type team at the moment.All the best Andy.:applause::applause::applause::applause:

TornadoHibby
06-02-2010, 06:08 PM
Well done Andy Mcneil ,very good today and a great reception from the hibs fans and players .IMO could do a job for a Dunfermline or Raith type team at the moment.All the best Andy.:applause::applause::applause::applause:

:agree: Standing ovation until he went down the tunnel at FT! :agree:

The Harp Awakes
06-02-2010, 07:22 PM
Thought Andy had a great game today. Well done Son:agree:

NaeTechnoHibby
06-02-2010, 07:24 PM
I clapped him, as most others done in the FFL :agree:

He was superb today :thumbsup:

keep the faith
06-02-2010, 07:25 PM
:agree: I think appluase for a former player who has given our club respect is a classy thing to do and should be what we are all about.

It also makes the booing of those who dont respect the hibees so much funnier (Thomson, Miller etc) Who can forget Agathe being booed from his first touch to his last. Its was relentless and the guy had a howler of a game. Really funny.

Andy McNeil is a supporter who Im sure will feel had a rough deal at Hibs, yet he did not have a pop and remains a fan. I think it was right to let him go, but I wish the guy well and hope we show a bit of class today by giving him some applause then sticking five past him.

I was spot on!! :wink:

Greenblood70
06-02-2010, 07:26 PM
Some fantastic saves..his shotstopping ability was never in doubt imo and he proved that today.

Well played Andy.

RIP
08-02-2010, 11:26 AM
A typical Andy McNeil performance I reckon

Constantly stretching to save shots an average height goalie would save with ease
As a result his saves looked a lot more spectacular than they should have
Terrible goalkeeping for our first goal, spooning a Riordan trundler right to Nish's feet
Out of position for our second and got beat at the post
Look at the body language of his defenders at the first 2 goals - shrugged shoulders and raging?
Riordan's shot was sweet but Smith, Stack or Maka would have kept it out. McNeill's reach is a foot smaller

He was always a worker though - hopefull he will find a club that will overlook his inadequacies.

Dinkydoo
08-02-2010, 11:38 AM
Andy had a gid game at the weekend - could well have been double figures if he hadn't.

We had something like over 13 shots on target - I thought he did well to produce some of the saves he did, definately better than a league 3 keeper.

I think that if he learns how to comand his box and back 4 better (and judging by his hieght, it must be difficult) he could potentially be back upto SPL level in the near future. He wasn't the worst person between the sticks in recent times for us but at the same time he was no legend.

All the best Andy

Bad Martini
08-02-2010, 11:38 AM
McNeil was a good lad and I reckon, did pull out some decent saves in that CIS before we were cruising. Correct as folks pointed out he was no "Legend" but he didn't rip the Hibs when he left (regardless of where he went), he didn't and hasn't been a bawbag like many who have left and he done us no ill-service (not deliberately anyway) therefore, good luck to him.

goggzie
08-02-2010, 11:53 AM
Quick question if he was to let those first two goals in for hibs while he played for us would we all still be on hear saying he had a great game???

Somehow I doubt it, he was at fault for the two goals which put them 2-0 down and had he still been in a hibs shirt we'd be on here calling him all the names under the sun.

Franck is God
08-02-2010, 11:57 AM

Constantly stretching to save shots an average height goalie would save with ease
Terrible goalkeeping for our first goal, spooning a Riordan trundler right to Nish's feet
Look at the body language of his defenders at the first 2 goals - shrugged shoulders and raging?
Riordan's shot was sweet but Smith, Stack or Maka would have kept it out. McNeill's reach is a foot smaller

He was always a worker though - hopefull he will find a club that will overlook his inadequacies.

Do you genuinely think that Andy McNeil is a foot shorter than an average goalie? I have never seen a 7ft tall keeper....

McNeil is pretty much the same height as Andy Goram, Shay Given, Carlo Cudicini, Pepe Reina, pretty sure Casillas is about 6ft tall too and no giant and they are/were all very good keepers.

Some made far too much fuss about his height, agreed he is not the tallest keeper we've ever had but he had to take a lot of very unfair and unjustified criticism that other keepers at ER have not.

In fact I think that if he hadn't been released by Mixu then Yogi might have even offered him a new deal. He still has a lot of potential and could easily play to SPL level.

GlesgaeHibby
08-02-2010, 12:03 PM

Have to disagree there. It was a decent save from Riordans initial shot, and his defender let him down by not being quick enough to react and clear the ball.

The second goal was poorly defended allowing Nish to poke in from close range.

McNeil is no way a 3rd Division Goalie, and should be playing at a decent 1st division team.

Speedway
08-02-2010, 12:26 PM

Thought that as soon as it went in. It's that sort of regular error as to why he's not at a higher level just now. He is only 22 however.

--------
08-02-2010, 12:52 PM

:agree: This is the clincher regarding McNeil. He may be a good lad, a willing worker, a decent bloke and all the rest of it.

He just isn't big enough to be a top-league keeper these days.

And he makes mistakes - of positioning in particular. Small goalies need to have a really keen sense of position and anticipation. McNeil doesn't have this.

Completely agree with this post.

Quick question if he was to let those first two goals in for hibs while he played for us would we all still be on hear saying he had a great game???

Somehow I doubt it, he was at fault for the two goals which put them 2-0 down and had he still been in a hibs shirt we'd be on here calling him all the names under the sun.

We're not ALL on here saying he had a great game, googzie. I'm not.

You're absolutely right - if any of our present keepers had let in those first two on Saturday, we'd have had folks on here raging "Smith/Stack/Brown/Maka/Flynn GTF...." and stuff.

At the time of the CIS Final, McNeil was (just) the best of as bad a bunch of keepers as I've ever seen at ER. In the Final he did his work adequately, and fully deserved his winner's medal.

But again - his save from Naismith's back-header at 0-0 looks better than it was because of his lack of height. Smith, Stack, Maka, Brown would all have been able to gather that ball and end the danger, rather than flapping at it and scooping it over the goal-line the way McNeil did.

In that opening period before we settled down, btw, he also very nearly passed straight to a Kilmarnock forward's feet inside the 18-yard box (shades of Maka there), was outjumped for a long high hoofball by Naismith (who isn't the tallest himself, btw) and pulled off a very good reaction save from a direct free kick at 1-0.

That save I would say demonstrates his strengths - he got down well to cover the initial free-kick which didn't reach him, the ball rebounded from a defender and another shot came in which went through the wall, and he reacted quickly to dive to his left to save.

So I see no reason to boo the laddie onto or off the park - as said, he's never said a word against the club since he left, and he seems a decent lad all round. I just don't see reason for making him feel at home. He was the opposition keeper, after all.

But there was a valid point in the OP - DVZ may not have been a very good right-back for us, but again he's never bad-mouthed the club, nor has he done anything to embarrass the club, so why did he get the treatment from the boo-boys when he played against us? There's a sour atmosphere at ER these days, and I'm sure it's affecting the team at times.

Woody1985
08-02-2010, 04:45 PM
Do you genuinely think that Andy McNeil is a foot shorter than an average goalie? I have never seen a 7ft tall keeper....

McNeil is pretty much the same height as Andy Goram, Shay Given, Carlo Cudicini, Pepe Reina, pretty sure Casillas is about 6ft tall too and no giant and they are/were all very good keepers.

Some made far too much fuss about his height, agreed he is not the tallest keeper we've ever had but he had to take a lot of very unfair and unjustified criticism that other keepers at ER have not.

In fact I think that if he hadn't been released by Mixu then Yogi might have even offered him a new deal. He still has a lot of potential and could easily play to SPL level.

He said reach, not height.

Not sure of Andy's exact height but a taller guy generally has longer legs and longer arms, therefore, increasing his reach.

--------
08-02-2010, 05:20 PM

All of whom are slightly below the normal height for a Senior League keeper right now.

And all of whom have much better positional sense and awareness than Andy McNeil. In fact, they're all exceptional players, which IMO a keeper has to be if he's the stature AM is.

Though I would agree that he was unfortunate to be released by Mixu when the goalkeeping situation was chaotic (to say the least) - he would have a much better chance of developing into a League keeper under the present coaching regime, I'm sure.

Mikeystewart
08-02-2010, 05:23 PM
Was dissapointed too hear booing it wasnt as if hed signed for a rival club and told us to go forth and multiply. The guy was a cup hero and i dont believe he did anything to deserve any of the stick he was getting.

Danderhall Hibs
08-02-2010, 05:31 PM
Was dissapointed too hear booing it wasnt as if hed signed for a rival club and told us to go forth and multiply. The guy was a cup hero and i dont believe he did anything to deserve any of the stick he was getting.

I've taken 2 things from your post; 1. you weren't at the game, 2. you've not read this thread

Mikeystewart
08-02-2010, 05:33 PM
I've taken 2 things from your post; 1. you weren't at the game, 2. you've not read this thread

i was at the game i was in the east and there was a section towards the south of the east who where boing him when he was taking goal kicks.

and all i was adding to the post was he was booed and im not happy about it.

Danderhall Hibs
08-02-2010, 05:35 PM
i was at the game i was in the east and there was a section towards the south of the east who where boing him when he was taking goal kicks.

Really? Well hopefully he never heard it either then. :greengrin

Mikeystewart
08-02-2010, 05:37 PM
Really? Well hopefully he never heard it either then. :greengrin

:faf:

WestEndHibee
08-02-2010, 06:11 PM

Aye you could hear it from the FFL. Bit of a shame for the lad but he got a cracking reception for the second half when we showed our class as supporters.