PDA

View Full Version : Driver for Scotland

Betty Boop
05-02-2010, 08:45 AM
Driver has committed himself to Scotland, after talks with Craig Levein.

http://www.heraldscotland.com/sport/more-scottish-football/craig-levein-convinces-hearts-winger-andrew-driver-to-commit-his-international-future-to-scotland-1.1003905

PeeJay
05-02-2010, 08:53 AM
Didn't he play for England U-21 last year in a high-profile tournament? How can he now commit himself to Scotland? :confused: When Levein saw him playing (sic) in that England shirt, what made him think he could play for Scotland?:cool2:

J-C
05-02-2010, 09:30 AM
Didn't he play for England U-21 last year in a high-profile tournament? How can he now commit himself to Scotland? :confused: When Levein saw him playing (sic) in that England shirt, what made him think he could play for Scotland?:cool2:

The rules are now changed for players who've played U21's.

If you knew the lad, he feels very Scottish as he grew up near Gullane, he played for the Scottish Schoolboys in 2002 and can now play due to the residency rules.

These rules have only just come into action, so I'm sure he wouldn't have played for the England U21 if he knew that.

the_ginger_hibee
05-02-2010, 11:08 AM
This is all good and well but...

...this guys no good enough for a call-up :dunno:

Sylar
05-02-2010, 11:11 AM
Can't say I'm overly upset at this to be honest. He's a good wee player who will provide pace and a little bit of skill on the flanks - something we've not had in a wee while. He has little in the way of end product at Hearts these days, but look at the drivel surrounding him just now!

If there's 1 player I'd love to see leave Hearts, it would be him, as he's better than them.

Broken Gnome
05-02-2010, 11:15 AM
This is all good and well but...

...this guys no good enough for a call-up :dunno:

As a left winger he is. Only other player like him would be Kris Commons, and ideally you'd want a Scotland squad that didn't include the likes of Commons, Teale etc.

Franck is God
05-02-2010, 11:53 AM
Driver is a good player and certainly worth a place in the squad.

Attacking for the left we would be quite strong with the likes of McFadden, Driver, Commons, McCormack. You could even add Maloney and Riordan to that list.

I think Levein is taking over as Scotland boss at a very good time, he has a lot of very good players to choose from.

Dunbar Hibee
05-02-2010, 12:10 PM
He lives in North Berwick.:agree: I don't rate him that highly I think he's very overrated and I couldn't really care what country he played for, but i'd rather it wasn't Scotland.

PC Stamp
05-02-2010, 12:18 PM
If he walks straight into a Scotland squad, far less the team based on the fact that he's been injured for most of the season and has been average at best when he has played for the Yams so far then it will immediately show Levein to have no more of a clue than any of his recent predecessors!

Hakim Sar
05-02-2010, 12:53 PM
I'm watching curiously now because I see that macgregor and boyd are back in. Think my days as a Scotland supporter are over.

Not looking to open up the debate again - we have all said our piece.

clerriehibs
05-02-2010, 02:06 PM
I'm watching curiously now because I see that macgregor and boyd are back in. Think my days as a Scotland supporter are over.

Not looking to open up the debate again - we have all said our piece.

No? Just looking to get the last word in, then?

Sir David Gray
05-02-2010, 02:13 PM
The guy wouldn't even have given Scotland a second thought if he had been good enough to play for England.

If he and Ferguson and/or McGregor get into the Scotland team, my interest in Scotland will be finished until they, and Levein, are away.

The SFA hierarchy also has a lot to answer for as well.

hfc rd
05-02-2010, 02:46 PM
Despite the guy being a yam, I would take him for Scotland. He is a very good player.

Wilson
05-02-2010, 03:00 PM
The guy wouldn't even have given Scotland a second thought if he had been good enough to play for England.

He wont be the first or last player to pull on a Scotland shirt to whom that applies...

I don't think Levein is certain to call Driver up. He is merely getting his dossier on who is and who isn't elligible to play for him sorted right now - and fair play to him for that.

Based on previous club form Driver deserves to be quoted. On current form though he shouldn't be near the squad.

Sunny1875
05-02-2010, 05:16 PM
Driver has committed himself to Scotland, after talks with Craig Levein.

http://www.heraldscotland.com/sport/more-scottish-football/craig-levein-convinces-hearts-winger-andrew-driver-to-commit-his-international-future-to-scotland-1.1003905 (http://www.heraldscotland.com/sport/more-scottish-football/craig-levein-convinces-hearts-winger-andrew-driver-to-commit-his-international-future-to-scotland-1.1003905)

Is he old enough to drive the bus ?

Betty Boop
05-02-2010, 07:17 PM
Is he old enough to drive the bus ?

:greengrin

Hainan Hibs
05-02-2010, 07:39 PM
Great, I wonder how many more "Too crap for England so may as well top up my value with a few caps for Scotland" players we will have flood our team?

blackhibee
05-02-2010, 09:03 PM
Great, I wonder how many more "Too crap for England so may as well top up my value with a few caps for Scotland" players we will have flood our team?

It could be that Levein owes a warm debt of thanks to Vlad, who still hasn't sold Driver to some Championship team yet and is deliberately stunting his growth at Hearts!

bornahibby
05-02-2010, 09:10 PM
I don't see what all the fuss about Driver is. He is a good player, but no better than McFadden, McCormack etc. The way some have been going on about it is like Levein should be buttering the boy's balls to ensure he plays for us. He is not an all conquering superstar FFS.

He is a standout at sharts, but all you have to be is average to manage that with the absolute horse**** they have in thier squad.

Edit - Not aimed at anyone here, just the media stance on this the last few months