PDA

View Full Version : The 'lost songs' of Easter Road

Mag7
04-02-2010, 10:04 PM
As I've mentioned on the Green Day thread, what has lessened the atmosphere at ER IMHO is the ever-declining songbook fans seem to own these days. That last decent new song I can recall is the Rob Jones song. OK, there are plenty anti-Hearts songs, but let's face it stuff about Skacel and Wallace Mercer ain't really going to get the team going is it?

What, for example, has happened to the following songs which are rarely if ever heard these days?

'The boys in blue (got f***** 6-2)'
'Said Bertie Mee to Bob Shankly...'
'You'll never walk alone' (I know some will claim it's a Celtic song but it used to be sung at ER for years with scarves aloft and so what if Celtic sing it? They nicked it off Liverpool)
'We hate Glasgow Rangers etc...but the Hibees we love you'
'Here we go, here we go, here we go'

I'd be happy if they were all replaced by some excellent new songs, but I haven't heard many.

Ed De Gramo
04-02-2010, 10:12 PM
As I've mentioned on the Green Day thread, what has lessened the atmosphere at ER IMHO is the ever-declining songbook fans seem to own these days. That last decent new song I can recall is the Rob Jones song. OK, there are plenty anti-Hearts songs, but let's face it stuff about Skacel and Wallace Mercer ain't really going to get the team going is it?

What, for example, has happened to the following songs which are rarely if ever heard these days?

'You'll never walk alone' (I know some will claim it's a Celtic song but it used to be sung at ER for years with scarves aloft and so what if Celtic sing it? They nicked it off Liverpool)

I'd be happy if they were all replaced by some excellent new songs, but I haven't heard many.

I heard 4 out the 5 when we beat the plastics last week :thumbsup::thumbsup:

Face it Away days are better than home games at the moment :boo hoo:

Kevvy1875
04-02-2010, 10:32 PM
Yeah, new songs needed.

Rob Jones to 'Gold' was brilliant!

I also loved the old 'Vladimir Romanov, he sucks Paul Hartley off':greengrin Always reminds me of the 81% game:thumbsup:

Only thing with those songs is they become defuct when players move on.

Hainan Hibs
04-02-2010, 10:34 PM
The Gold song for Jones was class.

I think it is the same with most supports that the away support is louder. Most probably because it is smaller and the "tribal" feeling comes out when you're a smaller group of fans against a bigger set of home fans.

Jonnyboy
04-02-2010, 10:42 PM
Many moons ago we used to sing ..............

Bless them all, bless them all, bless them all,
the long and the short and the tall,
bless Paddy Stanton, our saviour and king
and bless Arthur Duncan as he flies down the wing

Ahhhhh, the good old days :greengrin

iwasthere1972
04-02-2010, 10:50 PM

We need to sign (not sing :wink:) someone by the name of Billy with a two syllable surname and edit this version that we sang in late 60's/early 70's. To the music of "You cannae shove your granny off a bus"

:singing: Oh there's only one King Billy
that's McEwan
Oh there's only one King Billy
that's McEwan
only one King Billy
only one King Billy
that's McEwan :singing:

:notworthy: :notworthy:

Or maybe a dig at the polis.

:singing: Whose that man with the helmet on
Dixon Dixon
Whose that man with the helmet on
Dixon of Dock Green
On the beat all day
On the wife all night
Dixon of Dock Green :singing:

You cannae wack the auld yins.

iwasthere1972
04-02-2010, 10:53 PM

Bless them all, bless them all
the long and the short and the tall
For we won't be mastered
By those orange barstewards

:thumbsup: Fixed it for you.

Removed
04-02-2010, 10:53 PM
We need to sign (not sing :wink:) someone by the name of Billy with a two syllable surname and edit this version that we sang in late 60's/early 70's. To the music of "You cannae shove your granny off a bus"

that's McEwan
that's McEwan
only one King Billy
only one King Billy

:thumbsup: :wink:

Now if only I was 20 years younger

Jonnyboy
04-02-2010, 10:55 PM
:thumbsup: Fixed it for you.

That was the adult version :greengrin

BTW, I've no idea why the 'Copland Road' song includes the 6-2 scoreline as we've never won 6-2 at Ibrox! 4-2 aye but not 6-2 :wink:

FranckSuzy
04-02-2010, 11:00 PM
That was the adult version :greengrin

BTW, I've no idea why the 'Copland Road' song includes the 6-2 scoreline as we've never won 6-2 at Ibrox! 4-2 aye but not 6-2 :wink:

Why let the truth get in the way of a good song :dunno: :greengrin

iwasthere1972
04-02-2010, 11:00 PM

Bless them all, bless them all
the long and the short and the tall,
bless Makalamby, He's tall and he's dark
He won't be here much longer, cause we've got Smith and Stark

An updated "clean" version then. :greengrin

Mixu62
04-02-2010, 11:06 PM
The "who do you think you are kidding Mr Jeffries" one could be breought out of retirement again.

Jonnyboy
04-02-2010, 11:08 PM
An updated "clean" version then. :greengrin

:faf:

KWJ
04-02-2010, 11:13 PM
The "who do you think you are kidding Mr Jeffries" one could be breought out of retirement again.

mon the boys fae the leith san siro.

What's the said bertie mee to bob shankly one?

you're no very good.

We'll support you evermore.

GGTTH should be belted out every game.

Mind the auld carnival d paris, lets get auld skool! (well 98).

davym7062
said patrick to michael
where is it today
were off to tyncastle
to see the hearts play
when up popped pat stanton
and in went the goal
and tyncastle erupted
in green white and gold

:notworthy:

KWJ
said patrick to michael
where is it today
were off to tyncastle
to see the hearts play
when up popped pat stanton
and in went the goal
and tyncastle erupted
in green white and gold

:notworthy:

Reminded me of the old

If I had the wings of a sparrow......

HibbiesandtheBaddies
04-02-2010, 11:26 PM
The 'lost songs' of Easter Road...

HIB-ERN-IAN, Hibernian
HIB-ERN-IAN, Hibernian
HIB-ERN-IAN, Hibernian

Gatecrasher
04-02-2010, 11:32 PM
said patrick to michael
where is it today
were off to Easter Road
to see the hibees play
when up popped Derek Riordan
and in went the goal
and Easter Road erupted
in green white and gold

dunno the tune the original was too but would this work :greengrin

Bishop Hibee
04-02-2010, 11:35 PM
To the tune of "I'm Only a Poor Little Sparrow" :jamboak:

YouTube - The Ramblers - I'm Only A Poor Little Sparrow (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1PZFaRYmzn8)

"His name is Willie Irvine,
He's known as the King of them all.
When he's on the ball,
We all shout for goal,
Cause Willie's the King of them all!"

or something similar :greengrin

iwasthere1972
04-02-2010, 11:41 PM

YouTube - The Ramblers - I'm Only A Poor Little Sparrow (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1PZFaRYmzn8)

When he's on the ball,
We all shout for goal,

:singing: I once had a boyfriend call Bertie
Whooooooooooooo :singing:

:faf: :faf: :faf:

blackpoolhibs
04-02-2010, 11:41 PM
Well we aint got a barrel of money
Christian Nade's fat and he's funny
thick as a plank, plays like a ****
Nade's s h i t e

The old Joe Harper song updated.

iwasthere1972
04-02-2010, 11:50 PM

When he's on the ball,
We all shout for goal,

:idea:

:singing: "His name is Jumbo Jeffries,
He's ugly, he's fat and he's ******.
His team did get knocked out
The wee diddy cup
by the Buddies on Tuesday night :singing:

Tweet tweet :faf:

The innocence of the good old days.

Hibercelona
05-02-2010, 12:26 AM
Lets be honest folks. 99.9% of the fans that turn up at ER these days are boring *beeps*. :yawn:

I can't believe what the atmosphere was like when I look at old games from the 70s & 80s. Fans never ran out of songs to sing.

ER is now a graveyard. The only time you hear a mouse fart is when a fan is having a go at one of our own players.

And whenever we occationally do sing something, its always the same stuff and it always gets cut off half way through the chant. :grr:

A few weeks back, a fan standing behind me started singing the Turnbull's Tornadoes song. Everybody in the stand looked to him in disgust and confusion as if they had no idea what he was singing. :bitchy: FFS!

NaeTechnoHibby
05-02-2010, 01:16 AM
Lets be honest folks. 99.9% of the fans that turn up at ER these days are boring *beeps*. :yawn:

I can't believe what the atmosphere was like when I look at old games from the 70s & 80s. Fans never ran out of songs to sing.

ER is now a graveyard. The only time you hear a mouse fart is when a fan is having a go at one of our own players.

And whenever we occationally do sing something, its always the same stuff and it always gets cut off half way through the chant. :grr:

A few weeks back, a fan standing behind me started singing the Turnbull's Tornadoes song. Everybody in the stand looked to him in disgust and confusion as if they had no idea what he was singing. :bitchy: FFS!

With respect, music now is a 24/7 wall of sound to to young people.

Back in the days, slightly before my time, they only had a "wireless" and latterly some "light entertainment" TV shows on the telly, if you had one (and most peeps in the 50's didnae) so they were much more inventive IMO :agree:

Now we have wall to wall Simon Cowell stuff which is mostly rehashed from somewhere else tae, which shows the dearth of music available to the masses (now I know there will be arguments for this and that band/artist that somebody will recommend) which dominates what we all hear :bitchy:

Someone inventive might want to rehash Cheryl Cole's "Fight for your love" if they fancy it :greengrin

Hibercelona
05-02-2010, 01:21 AM
With respect, music now is a 24/7 wall of sound to to young people.

Back in the days, slightly before my time, they only had a "wireless" and latterly some "light entertainment" TV shows on the telly, if you had one (and most peeps in the 50's didnae) so they were much more inventive IMO :agree:

Now we have wall to wall Simon Cowell stuff which is mostly rehashed from somewhere else tae, which shows the dearth of music available to the masses (now I know there will be arguments for this and that band/artist that somebody will recommend) which dominates what we all hear :bitchy:

Someone inventive might want to rehash Cheryl Cole's "Fight for your love" if they fancy it :greengrin

Allow me to recommend some decent rehashed techno remakes of...

:devil:

NaeTechnoHibby
05-02-2010, 01:28 AM
Allow me to recommend some decent rehashed techno remakes of...

:devil:

Was that for me??

If so ...:tumble:

I do know the song "Bye, Bye Blackbird" though.. :greengrin

My mother used to sing it :agree: She sang with a "dance band" in the 30's/40's/50's :thumbsup:

:greengrin

Hibercelona
05-02-2010, 01:30 AM
Was that for me??

If so ...:tumble:

I do know the song "Bye, Bye Blackbird" though.. :greengrin

My mother used to sing it :agree: She sang with a "dance band" in the 30's/40's/50's :thumbsup:

Bye, Bye Blackbird eh?

Just triple the speed and add some beats over the top, and you could have yourself a hardcore dance classic there. :duck:

NaeTechnoHibby
05-02-2010, 01:38 AM
Bye, Bye Blackbird eh?

Just triple the speed and add some beats over the top, and you could have yourself a hardcore dance classic there. :duck:

But you cannae sing "hardcore dance classics".... yet....:greengrin

Hibercelona
05-02-2010, 01:42 AM
But you cannae sing "hardcore dance classics".... yet....:greengrin

Unless you were brought up with a mother with a high pitched voice like I've been...

Then you understand every word. :wink:

NaeTechnoHibby
05-02-2010, 01:54 AM
Unless you were brought up with a mother with a high pitched voice like I've been...

Then you understand every word. :wink:

Then teach us who are more used to the velvet/silk/gravel voices of Otis Redding, Marvin Gaye/All Mowtown/Marc Bolan/Bowie/Rod Stewart/Queen..et al ... :thumbsup:

When some twosome are murdering a classic Queen song get to somewhere that it's played oan the radio says it all** :rolleyes:

**Mind you "we" could equally "murder" that song to suit Mowbray/Jeffries/McGhee too :thumbsup:

Get it sorted youngster :greengrin

I know how it goes ......."Under pressure...looking down on you....:music: "

biggie1875
05-02-2010, 03:19 AM
http://www.freewebs.com/hibsfc_1875/hibssongs.htm (http://www.freewebs.com/hibsfc_1875/hibssongs.htm)
:thumbsup:

hibbybrian
05-02-2010, 03:39 AM

JB - how could you forget your trip to Ibrox on 29th September 1902 :wink:

Lucius Apuleius
05-02-2010, 04:08 AM
As alluded to earlier we had plenty songs, chants and atmosphere back in the 70s and 80s (and 60s :dizzy:). So what has changed? Who belted them out them? WE did!!!! The youngsters of that time. We get older, others are supposed to take our place and do the bounce. Most of us have reached the stage in life where we have seen a lot of things happen and it takes a fair bit more to get us overexcited at a game of football. Not disputing I do sometimes get overexcited, but personally I am no longer interested in satnding for 2 hours screaming, singing and shouting at referees, opposition players and more importantly winding up away fans. I just want to sit and watch my football and get excited when I need to. If that makes me a lesser supporter, so mote it be. Would I ever mutter and tell someone standing up singing to sit down? Depends where I am sitting. Usually I am in the East so no problem. If I go to the West I don't expect peopel to stand the whole game. You can still sing sitting down you know.

Bottom line is all you youngsters are to blame for not singing so stop blaming us older farts and get on with it.:agree::greengrin

Big90inOz
05-02-2010, 04:20 AM
Hit him on the head
hit him on the head
Hit him on the head with a baseball bat
oh yeah
oh yeah

Hit him in the eye
Hit him in the eye
Hit him in the eye with an Easter road pie
oh yea
oh yea

Dig a hole and bury him

If I had the eye of an eagle
If I had the arse of a dove
I'd fly over Tynie tomorrow and sh#te on the bas@ards below below
Sh#te on
Sh#te on
Sh#te on the bas#ards below

In the 70"s and 80"s guys use to make up topical songs on the way to away games, stop off at a pub where the songs would get an airing with the most popular sung at the games.

What we need is a simple chant, nice and easy to pick up straight away.

ANDY McGEECHAN
05-02-2010, 05:36 AM
As alluded to earlier we had plenty songs, chants and atmosphere back in the 70s and 80s (and 60s :dizzy:). So what has changed? Who belted them out them? WE did!!!! The youngsters of that time. We get older, others are supposed to take our place and do the bounce. Most of us have reached the stage in life where we have seen a lot of things happen and it takes a fair bit more to get us overexcited at a game of football. Not disputing I do sometimes get overexcited, but personally I am no longer interested in satnding for 2 hours screaming, singing and shouting at referees, opposition players and more importantly winding up away fans. I just want to sit and watch my football and get excited when I need to. If that makes me a lesser supporter, so mote it be. Would I ever mutter and tell someone standing up singing to sit down? Depends where I am sitting. Usually I am in the East so no problem. If I go to the West I don't expect peopel to stand the whole game. You can still sing sitting down you know.

Bottom line is all you youngsters are to blame for not singing so stop blaming us older farts and get on with it.:agree::greengrin

Well said that man :top marks

The_Todd
05-02-2010, 08:19 AM

That gets a weekly airing?

PatHead
05-02-2010, 08:21 AM
For Ibrox in a couple of weeks how about

"Stand up if you've got 10p"

followed by

"Sit doon. sit doon Wattie"

Juice-Terry
05-02-2010, 08:29 AM
The Rob Jones "Gold" song was alright, but I take it everyone knows that was ripped off from West Ham's singing the same thing about Joe Cole ten years ago. Not to put a damper on things or anything.... :greengrin

'Mon the Cabbage!

Alex Trager
05-02-2010, 08:31 AM

that's McEwan
that's McEwan
only one King Billy
only one King Billy

:notworthy: :notworthy:

Or maybe a dig at the polis.

:singing: Whose that man with the helmet on
Dixon Dixon
Dixon of Dock Green
On the beat all day
On the wife all night
Dixon of Dock Green :singing:

You cannae wack the auld yins.
Someone needs to go back to school-and its not the op.:wink:

Alex Trager
05-02-2010, 08:49 AM
mon the boys fae the leith san siro.

What's the said bertie mee to bob shankly one?

you're no very good.

We'll support you evermore.

GGTTH should be belted out every game.

Mind the auld carnival d paris, lets get auld skool! (well 98).

Bertie mee said to bill shankly,have you heard of the northbank highbury, shank says no i dont think so ,but i've heard of the (edinburgh/mental) hibees ...nana na nana na na na, nana na nana na na na , nana na..nana na na, but i've heard of the (edinburgh/mental) hibees

Oh i was walking throug gorgie swinging my chain, when someone come up and asked my name, i kicked him in te baws and i kicked him in the heed, and now that jambo Bas*ards deid( am not too sure about this one. too young you see)

Joy Zipper
05-02-2010, 08:57 AM
Bertie mee said to bill shankly,have you heard of the northbank highbury, shank says no i dont think so ,but i've heard of the (edinburgh/mental) hibees ...nana na nana na na na, nana na nana na na na , nana na..nana na na, but i've heard of the (edinburgh/mental) hibees

One of my personal favourites. :greengrin

heretoday
05-02-2010, 09:09 AM
Big John cha cha cha .....Big John cha cha cha ......

This for John McNamee. The cha-cha was a popular dance m'lud.

Keith_M
05-02-2010, 10:10 AM
So, how about these lovely old chants.

"You're going home in a ******ng am-bu-lance"

"Oh there won't be many,
there won't be many,
there won't be many going home!"

"You're gonna get your ******ng heads kicked in"

- or, similar and plagiarised from the Yams -

"Come and have a go with the Hi-bees ag-gar-ooooh"
(Or aggro: don't blame me, that's how it was sung!)

- or this one, nicked from the Geordies -

"Away the lads,
you should have seen us comin,
we'e only here,
to drink your beer
and **** your ****** wummin,
All the lads and lassies,
with smiles upon their faces,
walking along the Albnion Road,
To see the Turnbull aces"

Ah, them were the innocent, pre-casual terracing days.

:wink:

CMac1988
05-02-2010, 10:50 AM
I ain't gonna comment on too much that's being said about the lack of atmosphere at ER (will leave that to another thread), but I just don't understand why we don't sing;

'We've got Sol, Souleymane Bamba!'

To the tune All These Things That I've Done.

gogs_t
05-02-2010, 11:01 AM
To rival You'll Never Walk Alone - to the tune of We Are Sailing and with scarves aloft

:scarf: HIB..ERN..IAN..HIBERNIAN :scarf:

Then getting faster

HIB clap clap ERN clap clap IAN clap clap HIBERNIAN clap clap
HIB clap clap ERN clap clap IAN clap clap HIBERNIAN

Simple but effective :thumbsup:

Disc O'Dave
05-02-2010, 11:32 AM
So, how about these lovely old chants.

"You're going home in a ******ng am-bu-lance"

I used to show how much fun I was in those days by pointing out that you usually go to Hospital in an ambulance, however the trip home was normally undertaken by bus/taxi/family car.

I also recall it being "You're going home in a St John's Ambulance", mainly because I felt the urge to point out the further faux pas in that it would probably be a St Andrews Ambulance.

:nerd:

Meanwhile, not sure what the name of the tune is, but our wee one had a musical caterpillar when she was a baby, which I accidentally sang along to with

"Ally McCoist is Illegitimate
He ain't got no birth certificate...."

I stopped once I remembered the rest....

Not in front of the children. Or the wife, for that matter.

RIP
05-02-2010, 11:36 AM
The Rob Jones "Gold" song was alright, but I take it everyone knows that was ripped off from West Ham's singing the same thing about Joe Cole ten years ago. Not to put a damper on things or anything.... :greengrin

'Mon the Cabbage!

We should be singing the GOLD song for Stokes now - why no ya bass?

Stokes...........always believe in Ant Stokes
He's got the power to score
He's indestructible
Always believe in

Anyone auld enough to remember the following.......

His name is Alan Gordon, he's the leader o' the team
The finest Centre Forward, the world has ever seen
And when he goes tae Ibrox, he's sure tae score a goal
And as fer Derek Johnstone ye can stick him up yer hole
Na na na na
Na Na Nanana..........

Alex Trager
05-02-2010, 11:41 AM
To rival You'll Never Walk Alone - to the tune of We Are Sailing and with scarves aloft

Then getting faster

:top marksbut who'd start it ? cos when you try noone else will!!
Even the riordan song that was going to be a fundamental part of the first derby had no airing whatsoever

mmmmhibby
05-02-2010, 12:32 PM

mate, the Rob Jones song made me cringe!!!

mmmmhibby
05-02-2010, 12:33 PM
:top marksbut who'd start it ? cos when you try noone else will!!
Even the riordan song that was going to be a fundamental part of the first derby had no airing whatsoever

there the songs we should be singing!!!

Jack
05-02-2010, 12:40 PM
Sh#te on
Sh#te on

In the 70"s and 80"s guys use to make up topical songs on the way to away games, stop off at a pub where the songs would get an airing with the most popular sung at the games.

Whit the **** is that? :wink:

If I had the wings of a sparrow
If I had the ar$e of a cow
I'd fly low over Tynecastle and sh#te on the bas@ards below below
[you got the rest right!]
Sh#te on
Sh#te on

A favourite of mine was to do do do song that had verses added on for just about every 'topical' occasion.

Do do do
Do do do
Do do do do do do do
Do do do do
Do do do
Do do

Was the basic verse.

We scored 5
We scored 6
We scored 7 more than you
Do do do do
Do do do
Do do

When we went more than 3 goals up

We scored 1
We scored 2
We scored 3 more goals than you
Do do do do
Do do do
Do do

Imagine against Hamilton the other week singing 1,2,3 goals; then 2,3,4 goals; then 3,4,5 goals then back to 2,3,4 goals :faf: it would still a positive song even though just lost a goal :greengrin

Hibees rule
Hibees thrill [kill]
Hibees 7 Jamtarts nil
Do do do do
Do do do
Do do

Apart from all the do’s its easy to learn. It was the Hibees Bounce of the day.

We’ve got Jim Herriot number 1
We’ve got the best team in the land

We’ve got John Brownlie number 2

All the way to

We’ve got Arthur Duncan number 11

I kinda remember it reaching Eddie Turnbull once! … maybe

Never mind your Nade rubbish, if that reached Arthur that was an achievement.

Wouldn’t it be good if a crowd of us could get together and record a verse for each of the squad that was played before a game instead of just the team names being read out? Just a bit of a rabble of us nothing like a Hibees Barbers Quartet or anything like that! Would everyone join in? CLUB GET THIS SORTED!

Admin – I think we should have an official Hibs song board where all the ‘lyrics’ are put up of all the songs we could potentially sing. Maybe keep it locked down with only you guys able to post songs up to keep it nice and clean so that folk can print it off and take it to games.

iwasthere1972
05-02-2010, 12:48 PM
Someone needs to go back to school-and its not the op.:wink:

I am at school - busy marking the pupils homework. :greengrin

linlithgowhibbie
05-02-2010, 12:59 PM
To the tune of "I'm the Urban Spaceman"

We're the mental Hibees baby , we,ve got class,

Hiiiibeees ya bass!!!!

or

Get intae thum,

Get intae thum.

or

Come and have a go if you think your hard enough.

Alex Trager
05-02-2010, 01:00 PM
I am at school - busy marking the pupils homework. :greengrin

Well am oaf wi tonsilities-JOY

.Sean.
05-02-2010, 02:26 PM
What's the song along the lines of

'...Arthur Duncan made it five
Were you there when we beat Glasgow Celtic, were you there when we beat them 5-3?'

One oldie i've heard a few times I particularly like is

'I'm a mental Hibee baby i've got class,
HIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIBEES YA BAS' :greengrin

My Dad told me a song a while back, was along the lines of this. Older posters than me will surely have heard it

'We all agree Souness is a homosexual
Wherever he goes he touches his toes
And butcher is right up his ********'

I also heard 'kick him in the ribs, kick him in the ribs, kick him in the ribs 'till he supports Hibs oh yeah, oh yeah'

My favourite by a mile is the Bertie Mee song. It was class at Bolton, we sang the nanananananana bit for ages and just bounced. Class :thumbsup:

Jonnyboy
05-02-2010, 02:45 PM
JB - how could you forget your trip to Ibrox on 29th September 1902 :wink:

Oh my God, my memory is going .............

iwasthere1972
05-02-2010, 03:31 PM
Oh my God, my memory is going .............

No wonder is Hoggy a bit slow. He was playing for us as far back as 1902. :thumbsup:

Billy McKirdy
05-02-2010, 03:52 PM
Your spot on with this one :D

- or this one, nicked from the Geordies -

It was to the Geordie tune "Blaydon Races" (Blaydon being a suburb of Newcastle) & in that part of the world the first line would say:

"ha'way the lads"

"Away the lads,
you should have seen us comin,
we'e only here,
to drink your beer
and **** your ****** wummin,
All the lads and lassies,
with smiles upon their faces,
walking along the Albnion Road,
To see the Turnbull aces"

I remember this song from the late 70s early 80s and it was always sung every game without fail, I recall the whole Hibs crowd usually all sung this.
none of the East/West/North stand divides you get nowadays.
to sing it now just substitute Yogi for Turnbull...it still works.

RIP
05-02-2010, 04:04 PM
Sh#te on
Sh#te on

If I had the wings of a sparrow
If I had the ar$e of a cow
I'd fly low over Tynecastle
And sh#te on the bas@ards below below
Sh#te on
Sh#te on

Senile Dementia alert!!

If I had the wings of an EAGLE
If I had the ar$e of a CROW
I'd fly MYSELF DOWN over IBROXand sh#te on the bas@ards below below
Sh#te on
Sh#te on
Sh#te on the bas#ards below below
Sh#te on
Sh#te on
I'd sh#te on the bas#ards below

KdyHby
05-02-2010, 04:23 PM
When the papers 1st suggested that McMoist would be capped:

"Ally for Scotland, ha ha ha ha ha"

give him his due, he turned round and laughed

Alfred E Newman
05-02-2010, 05:53 PM
from the 60`s to the tune of "the drunken sailor

What shall we do with the referee
what shall we do with the referee
early in the morning
Burn, burn ,burn the b*****d
burn ,burn, burn the b*****d
early in the morning

Owain_1987
05-02-2010, 05:57 PM

Like all the songs apart from You're never walk alone which I hate :grr: Why don't people stop moaning and just get singing down at Easter Road? I can't sing but always cheer my team on in the east. Not sure agree about away days been better as most of the time you have to sit down.

hibbybrian
05-02-2010, 07:10 PM
Like all the songs apart from You're never walk alone which I hate :grr:

But we also used to sing "You'll Never Walk Again" :greengrin

BS44
05-02-2010, 07:30 PM
http://www.hibs.net/message/showthread.php?t=107923

linlithgowhibbie
05-02-2010, 09:13 PM
Sean,

see my earlier entry.

We're the mental Hibees baby ,
we've got class,
Hi-Bees Ya Bass

One of my pals got lifted before a cup final by strathclydes finest for singing this as we walked along the road (mind you , we were in a road full of Rangers buses) but we were mental!!!!:grr:

iwasthere1972
05-02-2010, 10:23 PM
Sean,

see my earlier entry.

we've got class,
Hi-Bees Ya Bass

One of my pals got lifted before a cup final by strathclydes finest for singing this as we walked along the road (mind you , we were in a road full of Rangers buses) but we were mental!!!!:grr:

:thumbsup: To the Urban Spacemen tune. Quuuaalllllliittttyyyyyyy.

blackpoolhibs
05-02-2010, 11:26 PM
Sean,

see my earlier entry.

we've got class,
Hi-Bees Ya Bass

The 2nd verse might cause some of the pc brigade to have a wee moan.:wink:

iwasthere1972
05-02-2010, 11:29 PM

What was it? :fishin:

blackpoolhibs
05-02-2010, 11:33 PM
What was it? :fishin:

No idea pal? :wink:

Removed
05-02-2010, 11:39 PM

:agree: And the 3rd :greengrin

iwasthere1972
05-02-2010, 11:41 PM
No idea pal? :wink:

:faint: Looked up the lyrics. Can't remember ever singing the second or third verse.

Big90inOz
05-02-2010, 11:51 PM
Aways picking on the senile guys :grr:

So that's 3 different versions upto now.... any more ???

Senile Dementia alert!!

If I had the wings of an EAGLE
If I had the ar$e of a CROW
I'd fly MYSELF DOWN over IBROXand sh#te on the bas@ards below below
Sh#te on
Sh#te on
Sh#te on the bas#ards below below
Sh#te on
Sh#te on
I'd sh#te on the bas#ards below

Moulin Yarns
06-02-2010, 07:58 AM

Bless them all, bless them all, bless them all,
Chris Shevlane and Gordon Marshall,
bless Paddy Stanton, our saviour and king
and bless Arthur Duncan as he flies down the wing

That's the way I remember it :thumbsup:

Moulin Yarns
06-02-2010, 08:11 AM

Then getting faster

We had that as our own for a season or two back in the days (70's) I remember a cup game at Motherwell when it was almost as good as any rendition of Sunshine on Leith.

But I have to agree with the Turnbull chap, us oldies did all the singing when we were young, now it is up to the youngsters, but the current music doesn't appear to adapt as well.

Moulin Yarns
06-02-2010, 08:19 AM
Looking at the majority of posters on this thread I realise we are a bunch of grumpy old men...

I remember when...

Things aint what they used to be....

The youngster nowadays....

Jack
06-02-2010, 08:30 AM

Just tell him to bolt Big90! Thats what I'll be doing today if I see him at the game!
In fact I might trick him into singing a solo behind the East during half time.

Alfred E Newman
06-02-2010, 09:00 AM
to The Sash

I don`t know why the Rangers sing
that they always hate the green
for greens the finest colour
the world has ever seen
they can sing about their Ralphy Brands
and their Jimmy Millars too
but we`ve got Paddy Stanton
He`s a bobby dazzler too.

substitute any names to bring the song up to date!

Moulin Yarns
06-02-2010, 09:10 AM
We're mental
We're Barmy
We're off our ***** heids :thumbsup:

Ah nostalgia :greengrin

Hibsandaroo
06-02-2010, 10:32 AM
Used to hear this all the time...

"good to, good to be, good to be a, hibee"

Alfred E Newman
06-02-2010, 11:29 AM
As someone already pointed out, unlike the current pop songs, the pop song of 30 or 40 years ago were easily adapted into football chants. Chicory Tips "Son of my father" for example Oh Hibby hibby, hibby hibby hibby hibby ernian a real classic still belted out by our old friend at the back of the east terrace. Also we were not bombarded with deafening noise over the tannoy right up to kick off and for the whole of the half time break like now.
As teenagers we would be in the ground half an hour before kick off, esspecially at the bigger games, and the atmosphere built up as we got nearer the to the kick off. Aye, they were the days. :agree:

blackpoolhibs
06-02-2010, 11:58 AM
Used to hear this all the time...

"good to, good to be, good to be a, hibee"

:faf::faf::faf:

Deek9
06-02-2010, 12:15 PM
The variety of chants sung these days is poor. It used to a common occurrence to make songs out of chart hits too but those days seem to have gone.

Here's a link to few oldies - it would be great to hear them resurrected.

http://www.fanchants.com/football-team/hibs/

Moulin Yarns
06-02-2010, 01:00 PM
Surely it is possible to get the easy ones started

If you hate the (insert opposition team) clap your hands

Stand up if you hate (insert opposition team)

Moulin Yarns
06-02-2010, 01:02 PM
not forgetting...

Hearts are out the cup ee aye adio hearts are out the cup

We're going to win the cup

When the Hibs go up to lift the Scottish Cup, We'll be there

Lucius Apuleius
08-02-2010, 04:21 AM
This season to the Yams--- We're going to hampden, you're no. (hopefully anyway :greengrin)

Next season----

Tell all the Hearts you know
It was a hundred and eight in a row.
But now that we've won, and you've ******* gone
It was worth one o eight in a row.

hibbybrian
08-02-2010, 06:22 AM
to The Sash

I don`t know why the Rangers sing
that they always hate the green
for greens the finest colour
the world has ever seen
they can sing about their Ralphy Brands
and their Jimmy Millars too
but we`ve got Paddy Stanton
He`s a bobby dazzler too.

substitute any names to bring the song up to date!

Started with

Cheer up Cheer up
the boys will see you through
the boys who beat the rangers
and the Glasgow Celtc too
Cheer up Cheer up
the boys will see you right
the boys who wear the colours
the colours green and white
Oh I don't know why the Rangers sing .....
:flag:

Lucius Apuleius
08-02-2010, 06:32 AM

Started with

Cheer up Cheer up
the boys will see you through
the boys who beat the rangers
and the Glasgow Celtc too
Cheer up Cheer up
the boys will see you right
the boys who wear the colours
the colours green and white
Oh I don't know why the Rangers sing .....
:flag:Or indeed:

Cheer up, cheer up
The wine will see you through
The VP and the Lanny
And the old Cinzano too.
Cheer up, cheer up
the wine will see you right
It makes your eyes go funny
And you talk a load of *****.

That was my favourite version:greengrin

KdyHby
08-02-2010, 06:49 AM
What do you get when you drink the wine
A £10 fine and a year's probabation
You'll get a kicking in the polis station
IIIIII'll never drink the wine again (repeat)

gogs_t
08-02-2010, 09:53 AM
We had that as our own for a season or two back in the days (70's) I remember a cup game at Motherwell when it was almost as good as any rendition of Sunshine on Leith.

But I have to agree with the Turnbull chap, us oldies did all the singing when we were young, now it is up to the youngsters, but the current music doesn't appear to adapt as well.

Our "Sailing" rendition was always a favourite of mine - especially at away games.
There was definitely more singing in the 70's and 80's but the pattern was similar. Better atmosphere at away games, the terracing did most of the singing with the occasional 'HIBEES stamp stamp stamp' from the old North Stand and it was only occasional that the whole ground joined in - although more often than nowadays.

An Leargaidh
08-02-2010, 01:22 PM
The variety of chants sung these days is poor. It used to a common occurrence to make songs out of chart hits too but those days seem to have gone.

Here's a link to few oldies - it would be great to hear them resurrected.

[/URL][url]http://www.fanchants.com/football-team/hibs/ (http://www.fanchants.com/football-team/hibs/)

Oh well here goes a suggestion, and I am always happy to hear constructive additions or amendments to it :agree:

"The night seems to fade,
But the moonlight lingers on
There are wonders for everyone
The stars shine so bright,
But they`re fading after dawn
There is magic at Easter Road

(chorus)

Oh Easter Road,
The place I long to be
If I had the whole world
I would give it away
Just to see, the Hi-Bees play
Ooh, ooh, ooh

And when I am king,
Surely I would need a queen
And a palace and everything, yeah
And now I am king,
And my queen will come at dawn
She`ll be waiting at Easter Road

(chorus)

And when I am king,
Surely I would need a queen
And a palace and everything, yeah
And now I am king,
And my queen will come at dawn
She`ll be waiting at Easter Road"

I'm not sure what the best bit to sing on the terraces would be, perhaps just the chorus?

Cammy :cool2:

Wheat Hound
08-02-2010, 01:52 PM
'Who do you think you are kidding Jimmy Jefferies,
if you think you're number one.
We are the boys from the Leith San Siro,
we are the boys who f*&^%$ you seven zero !!'

A dads army classic to be resurrected i hope !!

HibbiesandtheBaddies
08-02-2010, 02:02 PM
What do you get when you drink the wine
A £10 fine and a year's probabation
You'll get a kicking in the polis station
IIIIII'll never drink the wine again (repeat)

Gettin kicked tae F### doon the Polis station :greengrin

The_Horde
08-02-2010, 02:25 PM
from the 60`s to the tune of "the drunken sailor

What shall we do with the referee
early in the morning
Burn, burn ,burn the b*****d
burn ,burn, burn the b*****d
early in the morning

:faf::faf:

iwasthere1972
08-02-2010, 05:25 PM
:singing: We are the Hibee boot boys
with a na na na na na na na
na na na na na na na
na na na na na na na
We are the Hibee boot boys :singing:

Moulin Yarns
09-02-2010, 05:10 AM
Anybody remember the Hey Jude chant?

I'm_cabbaged
09-02-2010, 05:29 AM
Anybody remember the Hey Jude chant?

Na.

Moulin Yarns
09-02-2010, 12:20 PM
Na.

Na, :greengrin

Lucius Apuleius
09-02-2010, 12:36 PM
Na

iwasthere1972
09-02-2010, 12:37 PM
Na. :greengrin

Speedway
09-02-2010, 01:08 PM
Yeah...er...na.

The ones I used to love were Cheer Up Jimmy Jeffries, In Your Gorgie Slums and the now dearly departed:

I am H I B B Y
I am H I B B Y
I know I am I'm sure I am
I am H I B B Y

Grammatically unsound but I used to sound good.

SolentHibee
09-02-2010, 03:19 PM

4 versions....

I remember it as

If I had the wings of a sparrow,
If I had a bum like King Kong,
I'd fly over Tynecastle Park,
and sh**e on the B******s below

etc etc

duffers
09-02-2010, 04:27 PM
I always thought it was,

If i had the wings of a sparrow,
If i had the arse of a crow,
Id fly over tynie tomorrow,
and sh*te on the bar stewards below
below.

Others i thought of. To the tune of Baby give it up.
Readin fans sing it about Mcanuff.

na na na na na na Tony Tony Stokes Tony Stokes, Tony Tony stokes.

And to change the jimmy boco song to Liam Miller.

Liam, Liam Miller, Liam Miller, Liam Liam miller.

.Sean.
09-02-2010, 04:57 PM
I always thought it was,

If i had the wings of a sparrow,
If i had the arse of a crow,
Id fly over tynie tomorrow,
and sh*te on the bar stewards below
below.

Others i thought of. To the tune of Baby give it up.
Readin fans sing it about Mcanuff.

na na na na na na Tony Tony Stokes Tony Stokes, Tony Tony stokes.

And to change the jimmy boco song to Liam Miller.

Liam, Liam Miller, Liam Miller, Liam Liam miller.
Is that the 2Unlimited one? If so it's a good shout for sunday :greengrin