PDA

View Full Version : Hibs in English Championship?

Long suffering
04-02-2010, 04:54 PM
I was just looking at that unemployed football players website that was posted by someone from another thread. The same site shows all of the European Leagues and the Market value of each of the squads. We stand at £19 million, (admittedly some of the figures are dodgy such as £800,000 for stevenson :greengrin) which would be about 14th in the Engish Championship.I was wondering, (ignoring the increased money recieved from TV deals etc) where people think our current squad would come n the Coca-Cola Championship? Would we be battling for survival or mid-table-ish?
http://transfermarkt.at/de/wettbewerb/SC1/premier-league/uebersicht/menue_scoirl/startseite.html

RoslinInstHibby
04-02-2010, 04:58 PM
I was just looking at that unemployed football players website that was posted by someone from another thread. The same site shows all of the European Leagues and the Market value of each of the squads. We stand at £19 million, (admittedly some of the figures are dodgy such as £800,000 for stevenson :greengrin) which would be about 14th in the Engish Championship.I was wondering, (ignoring the increased money recieved from TV deals etc) where people think our current squad would come n the Coca-Cola Championship? Would we be battling for survival or mid-table-ish?
http://transfermarkt.at/de/wettbewerb/SC1/premier-league/uebersicht/menue_scoirl/startseite.html (http://transfermarkt.at/de/wettbewerb/SC1/premier-league/uebersicht/menue_scoirl/startseite.html)

mid table:agree:

HibeeMcGinn1
04-02-2010, 05:00 PM
i think the championship is alot better than the spl. id say just above relegation

Long suffering
04-02-2010, 05:02 PM
i think the championship is alot better than the spl. id say just above relegation

hmmm personally think its a tad over-rated i was at newcastle v bristol and wasnt terribly impressed by bristol. id say about mid-table

Bishop Hibee
04-02-2010, 05:03 PM
Standard in the Championship outside of the top of the table clubs isn't great. Charlie Adam won Player of the Month for January :bitchy:

We would be top half of the table no problem with the current team.

ScottB
04-02-2010, 05:06 PM
Top ends easily. The majority of our squad could cut it at that level or better (Smith, Brown, Murray, Bamba, Miller, Wotherspoon, Gow, Stokes, Riordan I would say)

Then of course with increased budgets we could add to the squad anyway.

sambajustice
04-02-2010, 05:06 PM

Wot 'e sed!

HibeeMcGinn1
04-02-2010, 05:07 PM
Standard in the Championship outside of the top of the table clubs isn't great. Charlie Adam won Player of the Month for January :bitchy:

We would be top half of the table no problem with the current team.

:faf::faf::faf::faf:

actually in saying that i kinda agree :wink:

anon1
04-02-2010, 05:09 PM
You'd do fine. Your current squad with the Hughes factor could easily challenge for the playoffs.

Hainan Hibs
04-02-2010, 05:12 PM
We'd do well. With the extra money we would be in and around the play offs.

ChrissyG1875
04-02-2010, 05:18 PM
I think we'd be up there, fighting for promotion.

ancient hibee
04-02-2010, 05:24 PM
Perhaps we should beat the OF to it then?SPL too small for us.

frazeHFC
04-02-2010, 05:32 PM
If we were like we have been in general for the last few years then bottom half, if we were like we are this season then top 10, however if we played like we did vs Hamilton more often then top 6

Long suffering
04-02-2010, 05:37 PM
How come then the standard of the SPL gets so much stick while the championship is considered a competitive good league if we could comfortably hold are own in it?

Hainan Hibs
04-02-2010, 05:39 PM
How come then the standard of the SPL gets so much stick while the championship is considered a competitive good league if we could comfortably hold or own in it?

The SPL is Scottish. Therefore it has to be put down and given a kick in.

It's "cool" on .net to have a go at the SPL and call it **** while having a right good thomas tank over English football.

Phil D. Rolls
04-02-2010, 05:48 PM
I reckon we're nearer League One, albeit the upper end.

Hibby Bairn
04-02-2010, 05:51 PM
I think we undersell the quality of football up here and the players.

Last night Dorrans, Dobbie, Bednar all scored for teams in the play off places. Guys like McFadden, O'Connor, Ferguson, Caldwell, Fletcher, Murphy, Berra, Hutton, McCarthy, Scotland and probably a few others are all easily getting their game in the Prem. In addition there is Thompson, Burke, McCormack, Snodgrass, Hart, Wallace, Shiels, Jones, Speroni, Rae, Marshall etc all playing in the top half of the Championship. Arguably many of these failed in the SPL.

Hibs have better general quality than most of these players. I think a few of our players could play for play off teams in the Championship or in the lower part of the Prem. One or two could potentially play up the league a bit either now or in the future.

I think we'd be challenging to win that league particularly if there was ongoing better revenues coming in.

If you think there is such a wide gap then just watch Kamara v Killie. Or for that matter Keane although I'm sure the latter will come good for Celtic over next few weeks.

Hakim Sar
04-02-2010, 05:59 PM
I think hibs would be tucked in just behind Leeds and charlton in league one but at a push would like to think we are better than scunthorpe at bottom of championship.

Hakim Sar
04-02-2010, 06:06 PM
Preston tanked us pre season and it wasn't a fluke

To suggest hibs would be bottom premiership is nonsense. Burnley, wolves, Pompey, hull etc would kill us although I'd fancy us to score.

Nottm Forrest Newcastle and west brom would beat us consistently as well.

SanFranHibs
04-02-2010, 06:24 PM
I am talking about the first season, with this squad and the way we are playing.

Although we are quite resilient this year, fact is out football is not yet high quality, certainly not consistent and we have trouble holding on to the ball.

I am not saying we would not improve as our players individually have good skills, but as a team?

Sorry, but no St. Johnstones, St. Mirrens, Hamiltons or even Hearts who could not score on a school desk with a Swiss Army knife.

Average attendance would have us down with Preston N.E. at 18th/19th, about 12,700, which could only expected to rise significantly if we were doing well.

Just my opinion.

Cabbage East
04-02-2010, 06:31 PM
Massively overrated. We'd be top 4.

Jack
04-02-2010, 06:34 PM
You'd do fine. Your current squad with the Hughes factor could easily challenge for the playoffs.

Hey! What's with the 'You'd' :grr:

I thought you were one of us when you were up here, or chatting in cyberland. :confused:

joe breezy
04-02-2010, 06:46 PM
No matter what anyone says it's a tight league with not a lot between top and bottom in terms of difference.

I think the way we've played this season we would be top 6.

seanraff07
04-02-2010, 06:53 PM
I think we'd scrape into a play-off position, we'd struggle away from home IMO.

ZippytheHibee
04-02-2010, 07:11 PM
I think with our exciting brand of football and quality players we would add to our current squad with the increased money would certainly make us promotion candidates.

Onwards and upwards.

If we ever got intot he EPL, I think we woudl certainly hold our own. Look at the likes of Wigan, Bolton and Blackburn. Small town teams that manage to stay up. We are much bigger and potentially better.

Woody1985
04-02-2010, 07:17 PM
I wonder if English club message boards for Championship, League One & Two consistently have threads on how well they would do in the SPL.

I think we'd do okay, probably mid/lower championship but with our infrastructure the way it is going i.e. nearly complete and relatively low debt then we could probably push on from there.

Hibernating (Im a stoopid yam tramp)
04-02-2010, 07:20 PM
In light of WGS bidding £2m for Mr. Charles Adam, a hun I work with laughed when I said Hibs would beat Blackpool. I think we would beat Blackpool, but this hun defo thought not.

SouthamptonHibs
04-02-2010, 07:32 PM

To suggest hibs would be bottom premiership is nonsense. Burnley, wolves, Pompey, hull etc would kill us although I'd fancy us to score.

Using that logic then we would do all right in the EPL

We drew Ov0 v Blackburn and Bolton away, with pretty mush there best teams.

I watch the EPL (Pompey), SPL and league one footbal. Hibs are defo above league one (Southampton), and would comfortably live in the premiership. The EPl is a different kettle of fish. It's a world league with some of the best players in the world in it, not sure we would survive in the top flight. Al the teams in the bottom half have most of there team the same size as Bamba!!

look at is this way Barsnely, Sheff Wed, sheff Utd, Blackpool etc are in the championship, if Hibs we getting increased revenue and could compete with the wages then where would you choose to play your football any of these places or Edinburgh!!! Edinburgh would win for a cert. Hibs would get bigger crowds as we wouldn't be playing the same teams every 6 weeks.

But hey i love the SPL, Hibs are on the up!! Lets party:notworthy: Roll on the 27th for my next trip to ER hail hail

Hibby Bairn
04-02-2010, 07:35 PM
Lee Miller is thought good enough for a recently relegated Prem side. I rest my case.

seanraff07
04-02-2010, 07:37 PM
Lee Miller is thought good enough for a recently relegated Prem side. I rest my case.

Ah but that's cause Strachan actually think's he can raid the SPL and get Boro promoted cause of it, but he's wrong.

DC_Hibs
04-02-2010, 08:03 PM
Top ends easily. The majority of our squad could cut it at that level or better (Smith, Brown, Murray, Bamba, Miller, Wotherspoon, Gow, Stokes, Riordan I would say)

Then of course with increased budgets we could add to the squad anyway.

Smith failed at Brighton.
Murray failed at Norwich.
Miller freed by QPR
Stokes- terrible stats while on loan at Palace

Championship is a higher standard, their finances will be a factor of course but as it stands we would be lucky to get top half. Most folk on here would have said the same before Hamilton game but as per norm we are either *****e or world beaters and after last few results incl a shaky win v st mirren folk are going overboard.

Must be garbage as Charlie Adam (who played years at Rangers and champions league etc) is seen as a good player doon there!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hibby Bairn
04-02-2010, 09:50 PM
Maybe they just need the right MANagement? Can we honestly say that Miller isn't good enough for QPR, Stokes for Crystal Palace, Murray for Norwich? I can't explain it either but these players are better than those clubs. Why on earth Smith didn't hack it at Brighton I have no idea. Strange game.

frazeHFC
04-02-2010, 09:58 PM

And we tanked Bolton 3-0

Dashing Bob S
04-02-2010, 10:03 PM
With this side I think we'd do okay, and agree with Forrest lad. The issue though is that we would be in a position to augment the squad as we would be a much bigger club in England than we are up here. For example, putting the the TV money aside, we'd sell over 20,000 ST's in the championship (on sheer novelty alone) and 40,000 plus in the Premiership. There are plenty of glory hunters in the Edinburgh area waiting to follow a local side at that level of football.

I'm not being big time here, it would be exactly the same with the Yams.

Sir David Gray
04-02-2010, 10:09 PM
Hibs, as they are right now, would probably be in the lower half of the Championship.

But whenever this question is continually brought up, you have to consider the massive rise in income that Hibs would receive as a result of playing in the English Championship. Therefore, I would say that if we played in the Championship, receiving Championship money, we would be in the play offs.

KWJ
04-02-2010, 10:27 PM
Like Craig Levein spouted a few months ago we need to talk up our game here more rather than put it down.

It's great to see more Scots competing down in England for the first time in a few years. The game here isn't all that bad but it doesn't get the chance to shine when the fans of it are giving it stick why would anybody else want to buy it.

If we were going around saying Scottish football is great and giving it a good name then it would invariably get better with the more money the good name of Scottish Football would bring in.

Just don't let anybody near a Hearts match and we'll be fine.

KWJ
04-02-2010, 10:28 PM
oh and I reckon about mid table.

allezsauzee
04-02-2010, 10:38 PM
We'd run away with it. Newcastle are pish:thumbsup:

IndieHibby
04-02-2010, 11:08 PM
The SPL is Scottish. Therefore it has to be put down and given a kick in.

It's "cool" on .net to have a go at the SPL and call it **** while having a right good thomas tank over English football.

:agree:

IndieHibby
04-02-2010, 11:10 PM
Maybe they just need the right MANagement? Can we honestly say that Miller isn't good enough for QPR, Stokes for Crystal Palace, Murray for Norwich? I can't explain it either but these players are better than those clubs. Why on earth Smith didn't hack it at Brighton I have no idea. Strange game.

I've been thinking the same thing....

jgl07
04-02-2010, 11:19 PM
I think we undersell the quality of football up here and the players.

Last night Dorrans, Dobbie, Bednar all scored for teams in the play off places. Guys like McFadden, O'Connor, Ferguson, Caldwell, Fletcher, Murphy, Berra, Hutton, McCarthy, Scotland and probably a few others are all easily getting their game in the Prem. In addition there is Thompson, Burke, McCormack, Snodgrass, Hart, Wallace, Shiels, Jones, Speroni, Rae, Marshall etc all playing in the top half of the Championship.
There are more half truths in your list than a David Cameron election broascast:

O'Connor and Murphy easily getting a game? When did either of them last play?

Snodgrass is playing in League One.

Shiels, Jones, Speroni are in the bottom half of the Championship.

The Baldmans Comb
04-02-2010, 11:26 PM

I'd imagine it would be mid table downwards as rather than have players who ''can cut it at that level' Hibs have a number of players who look good in our league but who couldn't cut it whatsoever at that level

Smith at Brighton. Murray at Norwich. Miller at QPR, Stokes on loan all over the division and Gow from Plymouth.

It doesn't make them bad players as they obviously aren't but they tried to play at a level that was just a little beyond them.

KWJ
05-02-2010, 12:18 AM
There are more half truths in your list than a David Cameron election broascast:

O'Connor and Murphy easily getting a game? When did either of them last play?

Snodgrass is playing in League One.

Shiels, Jones, Speroni are in the bottom half of the Championship.

GOC AND DM were last getting a game when they were last fit.

Shiels has a game in hand to go top half :wink:

RickyS
05-02-2010, 12:34 AM
http://transfermarkt.at/de/wettbewerb/SC1/premier-league/uebersicht/menue_scoirl/startseite.html

anyone else look at the value table in that link? where the **** does the value of Hertz come from? have they included the new uber stand and increased value because of the champions league trophy?

cheltenhamhibee
05-02-2010, 01:26 AM

i have to agree with you, i seen a fair bit of all levels of fitba down here and the current hibbys would easily cut it in the championship, play offs would be achievable IMHO :thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

cheltenhamhibee
05-02-2010, 01:32 AM
I'd imagine it would be mid table downwards as rather than have players who ''can cut it at that level' Hibs have a number of players who look good in our league but who couldn't cut it whatsoever at that level

Smith at Brighton. Murray at Norwich. Miller at QPR, Stokes on loan all over the division and Gow from Plymouth.

It doesn't make them bad players as they obviously aren't but they tried to play at a level that was just a little beyond them.

maybe as individuals, but we are talking about the current hibs team, and as a team they would compete very well, forest haven't got many what you call top flight players, but as a team they play cracking football and look where they are in the league !!!

zlatan
05-02-2010, 01:36 AM
I've been to several Championship games this season and really can't see much of a difference in terms of quality, I'm sure we'd do fine down there if given the same amount of TV money.

Hibercelona
05-02-2010, 01:48 AM
With the way Hibernian FC gets run.

We wouldn't be in the Championship for too long IMO.

We would eventually break into the EPL.

Our neighbours on the other hand.... :bye:

CmoantheHibs
05-02-2010, 02:51 AM
I dont think that the championship has great football but because it is such a tight league that makes it interesting.There is generally not a big points gap between just below play offs and just above relegation and I think Hibs would come in this group,perhaps getting into the play offs.A few draws instead of wins make a big difference in this league.One thing is for sure though,our players values would go up significantly.As far as certain players not making it down there this can be due to many factors.Maybe the system played didnt suit them or there were personal issues.Who knows.This happens all the time and is not a good barometer as to whether we would be successful.Under Yogi this is the type of player Hibs have been signing,getting their confidence back up and seeing what they can do in an environment they are happy with.Its worked out pretty well so far.Good man management goes a long way with footballers.

Keith_M
05-02-2010, 11:36 AM
Over the course of time, Hibs would be one of the teams that flits back and forward between Championship and League One, occasionally challenging as high as the Championship play-offs.

EPL? I think not.

number 27
05-02-2010, 03:13 PM
Over the course of time, Hibs would be one of the teams that flits back and forward between Championship and League One, occasionally challenging as high as the Championship play-offs.

EPL? I think not.

I find it incredible that you see our club like that. With an equal financial playing field Hibs should be way better than league one. Most English lower league stuff is really poor yet there seems to be no end to the number of people willing to swallow the line that major Scottish clubs are somehow inferior to the likes of Hull and Bolton who got lucky with SKY money.

Sir David Gray
05-02-2010, 03:26 PM
I find it incredible that you see our club like that. With an equal financial playing field Hibs should be way better than league one. Most English lower league stuff is really poor yet there seems to be no end to the number of people willing to swallow the line that major Scottish clubs are somehow inferior to the likes of Hull and Bolton who got lucky with SKY money.

:agree: I made this point a couple of weeks ago. In my opinion, Hibs are bigger than a number of clubs who are currently in the English Premiership.

It would take us a few seasons but I believe that we could end up in the Premiership, if we were in England.

We would be in the bottom half of the league though and fighting relegation more often than not.

cheltenhamhibee
05-02-2010, 03:46 PM

EPL? I think not.
i disagree, as i have said earlier i have seen a lot of football down here, at championship level and even more so in league one, hibs would compete at a high level in the championship, not saying good enough for the epl tho, but given the funding from sky revenue and quite probably a larger average attendances more money would be available, even at the moment the team we currently have is far better and stronger than 75% of the championship

NAE NOOKIE
05-02-2010, 05:47 PM
The way English clubs are teetering on the brink these days I would guess that all of this cash they get from SKY and from charging £30+ for the cheapest seats doesnt appear to be doing them all that much good.

In fact of all the SPL clubs who would look to go down south the Yams and Huns are the best placed at the moment coz their level of debt is about on a par with 70% of English clubs ( IE vast and getting worse ) and they would fit right in.

In a few years time, when the lower EPL and Championship clubs finally decide its time for a reality check. Lets say after Portsmouth or Hull or Palace have gone to the wall, then we will see more parity between the likes of the Championship and SPL.

In fact the realistic wages that these clubs will be forced to pay by then will enable the likes of Hibs to poach some of the best players from the Championship. What a turn around that would be.

The total debt of the EPL runs into billions and eventually the bubble will burst. Its not if its when.

IMO Scottish football began to wake up and smell the coffee at the start of the OOs. In fact just in time I hope ( nae smugness here. It was forced to ) and eventually English football will have to do the same. Lets hope for their sake before its too late and before a load of famous clubs no longer exsist.

To sum up. English football is at the level it is just now because they have spent piles of cash they just dont have in order to keep up with each other.

To borrow a phrase well used on here ... 'Tick Tock' Tick Tock'

:rolleyes:

Gus
05-02-2010, 07:33 PM
Epl....no danger and I'm sure Blackburn,Wigan etc would beat us

what a difference a year makes though, this time last year under mixu if someone had posed the question we we would of been saying league one at best

I do think the championship is over rated but there are some massive clubs in that league, look at league one also, Leeds had 37 thousand at the fa cup tie

saying this I dinnae care, HIBS FOR 2nd

ancient hibee
05-02-2010, 07:53 PM
When if finally dawns on Sky that they have a practical monopoly of football just watch the price paid to the EPL drop.

Long suffering
06-02-2010, 10:04 AM

EPL? I think not.

While initially I was just asking about our current team in the Championship, it is impossible to say that we would never get into the EPL. The increased finances
that we would recieve from Tv deals etc means that surely you cannot limit our standing to Champ. and League 1. Surely if teams such as Wigan, Hull,Bolton etc (all from small areas with inflated fanbases due to EPL status) can make it into the Premiership, there is no reason to suggest that we couldnt.

hibsbollah
06-02-2010, 11:02 AM
Was looking forward to listening to James Richardson's Football Weekly podcast today, especially as they were doing a SPl special. Unfortunately their contributing 'expert' was Ewan Murray of the Scotsman, whos main contribution on at least 3 separate occasions was to remind everyone how bad the defenders were in the SPL compared to England, which is why Robbie Keane will score loads of goals apparently:rolleyes:

Scottish football never stands a chance when there are so many up here ready to give it an undeserved kicking every five minutes.

oh and
IMO We'd be Championship midtable...