PDA

View Full Version : 'Keane is the biggest star ever to play in Scotland' says McGhoo

Isaac_Refvik
04-02-2010, 12:25 PM
I'll see that and raise you George Best:agree:

Danderhall Hibs
04-02-2010, 12:27 PM
Best was well past his best though.

Paul Gascoigne might be in with a shout?

Hal Jordan
04-02-2010, 12:29 PM
Franck Sauzee.

Franck is God
He's probably not eben the biggest start to play for the unwashed never mind in Scotland.

I would agree with Paul Gascgoine and would suggest Laudrup was a pretty decent player too.

Also rated that Sauzee lad that played for us a few years ago....

the_ginger_hibee
I'd say Best.

Doesn't really matter how good/bad/past-it they were when they signed, it's biggest star, Best was much bigger, and in his prime, much better. So no contest.

Wembley67

and Gazza
De boer
Roy Keane
Ravinelli
Cannagia
Sauzee

straight of the top of my heid.

RoslinInstHibby
04-02-2010, 12:30 PM
Franck Sauzee.

:agree: Sauzee, Larsson and Best all far better players, not to mention king kenny

Hainan Hibs
Mcghoo talks some pish.

Definitely not Hibs Class.

Isaac_Refvik
Point taken. I argue, however, that Best was still a bigger star then than Robbie Keane will ever be.

Hal Jordan
Terry Butcher.

HFC 0-7
04-02-2010, 12:31 PM
Jimmy Boco or Joe Tortalano

Bad Martini
04-02-2010, 12:33 PM
The biggest star is surely Nade naw? :greengrin

How many men and a forklift truck were required for the other masters noted in this thread? Even Gazza didny require that level of elevation, apart from when pissed. And when we ripped him for being the ******** he is, when he pitched up at ER playing for Boro in a pre-season friendly :greengrin

ENDOF

The_Todd
04-02-2010, 12:40 PM
I wish he'd climb out of the Celtc's supporters a***holes sometimes and remember that he is now with Aberdeen FC. His constant need to talk about something other than his own club would drive me nuts if he were our boss. :jamboak:

Part/Time Supporter
04-02-2010, 12:44 PM
Robbie Keane's career achievements (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Robbie_Keane#Honours):

1 Carling Cup (2008).

That's it. His "honours" section in wiki is laughably padded out with FA Youth Cup runner-up, Italian Super Cup runner-up, Peace Cup (?) and Barclays Asia Trophy (???). FFS, there's Hibs players who have won more than that.

:greengrin

McGhee

:faf:

Danderhall Hibs
04-02-2010, 12:46 PM
Robbie Keane's career achievements:

1 Carling Cup (2008).

That's it.

McGhee

:tee hee:

Although I think in England they class finishing 4th as more of an achievement than winning either Cup or even the UEFA Cup.

PS and he's never done that either.

scott7_0(Prague)
04-02-2010, 12:48 PM
Ray Wilkins - the 2nd time :wink:

matty_f
04-02-2010, 12:50 PM
I'd say Best.

Doesn't really matter how good/bad/past-it they were when they signed, it's biggest star, Best was much bigger, and in his prime, much better. So no contest.

:agree:

Keane's not at the top of his game either, is he?

In terms of stars, you'd be hard pushed to top George Best. I'm sure there are people at Man U who'd say that there still hasn't been a bigger star to have played in the EPL.

Danderhall Hibs
04-02-2010, 12:52 PM

Keane's not at the top of his game either, is he?

No but he'll not be sitting in the boozer getting bevvied on a Friday night either.

Antifa Hibs
04-02-2010, 01:14 PM
Keane's not even in the top 3. Gaza, Laudrap and Besty best players to come to Scotland.

Sudds_1
04-02-2010, 01:23 PM
whats a starever? :confused:

Greentinted
04-02-2010, 01:26 PM
Should the headline here not read: "I'm Keen to be the Biggest Slaverer in Scotland" - McGoo! :greengrin

God Petrie
04-02-2010, 01:27 PM
Stokes
Miller

Love the Green
04-02-2010, 01:28 PM
Best was well past his best though.

Paul Gascoigne might be in with a shout?

It says biggest star not best player at their time of coming to Scotland
NO CONTEST BEST will alawys be the biggest star

"keep the faith":wink:

superbam
04-02-2010, 01:36 PM
he's not even the most famous Keane to play in Scotland

poolman
04-02-2010, 01:39 PM
Canny see all the fuss thats getting made with this overated man-of-many-clubs

Couldny believe all these half-witted Weegies hanging about Septic Park until midnight as if they had signed Rooney or Ronaldo instead of a half decent journeyman cos thats all he is

As for Mcgoo, what a trumpet, still banging on about his beloved celtic anxiously waiting for Mogga to get the bullet thinking and hoping he's gonna be the next manager

Bet the Sheep fans just love him especially with their recent run of form :rolleyes:

Sauzee07
04-02-2010, 01:44 PM
I cannot believe that no-one has mentioned Jarko Wiss yet.:tumble:

iwasthere1972
04-02-2010, 01:45 PM
whats a starever? :confused:

It's two words each containing 4 letters. That's the only clue you are getting.

KWJ
04-02-2010, 01:48 PM
Overall name would be Best.

For his ability at the time it'd be Gascoigne, Laurdrup or Larsson. Butcher might be a shout too.

Obviously you've then got quality Scots like Dalglish, Law and co.

TheEastTerrace
04-02-2010, 01:50 PM
I don't think McGhee's nose could be further up Sellick's erse if he tried. If I was a Don, I'd be spitting fire at statements like this.....not to mention he's way off the mark too. As pointed out, there are far bigger stars who have come to Scotland over the years.

Says a lot for the state of Scottish football these days that some boy who can't get a game in the EPL and who was transferred back to Spurs within six months of joining Liverpool, is creating such a furore.

Stevie Reid
04-02-2010, 01:57 PM
Robbie Keane's career achievements (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Robbie_Keane#Honours):

1 Carling Cup (2008).

That's it. His "honours" section in wiki is laughably padded out with FA Youth Cup runner-up, Italian Super Cup runner-up, Peace Cup (?) and Barclays Asia Trophy (???). FFS, there's Hibs players who have won more than that.

:greengrin

McGhee

Alan Shearer won one league title in his whole career, that was it. Not always an indicator of how good a player is.

Keane is undoubtedly one of the biggest stars ever to come to Scotland. Gascoigne was bigger though, imo

Kato
04-02-2010, 02:00 PM

Law played all his football in England and Italy.

jacomo
04-02-2010, 02:03 PM
I'd put Ronald de Boer, Franck, Claudio Canniggia above Robbie Keane as well, in terms of fame and honours.

Larrson became a famous player while at Celtic - you'd have thought they'd be more proud of that? Weirdos.

--------
04-02-2010, 02:08 PM
Overall name would be Best.

For his ability at the time it'd be Gascoigne, Laurdrup or Larsson. Butcher might be a shout too.

:agree: I see the Keane deal a bit like our signing of Archibald - a big-name striker, a bit past his peak, but still a very good signing. He WILL do damage, IMO, so I'm not going to get too funny about him.

But the Celtk-minded should remember that it's a LOAN, and that Harry Redknapp was very clear that he's expecting Keane to be back at Tottenham next season. And if Keane ISN'T back at Tottenham next season, I'd expect Celtk to have a fair bit of competition for his signature - from clubs who are much better able to meet Keane's salary expectations than Celtk.

Come to that, Spurs may very well be in the Champions' League next season, and Keane may very well decide to play for them in that competition. I don't think he's got a lot of chance of doing that with Celtk.

But Gascoigne, Laudrup, Larsson, Sauzee, Butcher, Archibald - all were 'big-name' star signings in their day. And as you say, that's not taking into account the Scottish players who were top stars in the day. Dalglish, Law, Dave Mackay, even...

GORDON SMITH???????????

KerPlunk
04-02-2010, 02:12 PM
I don't think McGhee's nose could be further up Sellick's erse if he tried. If I was a Don, I'd be spitting fire at statements like this.....not to mention he's way off the mark too. As pointed out, there are far bigger stars who have come to Scotland over the years.

Says a lot for the state of Scottish football these days that some boy who can't get a game in the EPL and who was transferred back to Spurs within six months of joining Liverpool, is creating such a furore.

Correctamundo. There's an awful lot of man love going down in the SPL at the moment. Muttley sucking off the Tims, Jumbo rimming Vlad - it's got to stop.

:grr:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/blog/2010/feb/03/robbie-keane-celtic-spl

heretoday
04-02-2010, 02:18 PM
I dunno what is meant by the "biggest star". Surely Jimmy Johnstone or Baxter would have to be there. If they mean players brought in then I'd say Larsson because he was in no sense past his best.

Sudds_1
04-02-2010, 02:19 PM
But the Celtk-minded should remember that it's a LOAN, and that Harry Redknapp was very clear that he's expecting Keane to be back at Tottenham next season.

I wonder if Tottenham are expecting Redknapp at WHL next year :devil:

--------
04-02-2010, 02:21 PM
I wonder if Tottenham are expecting Redknapp at WHL next year :devil:

Could very well still be in London.

Wormwood Scrubs. :devil:

--------
04-02-2010, 02:24 PM
Could very well still be in London.

Wormwood Scrubs. :devil:

But it's worth pointing out to McGhump that FourFourTwo magazine has a list of the top 50 UK-based strikers since the war, and at Number One in THEIR list is one KENNY DALGLISH....

rightwinger
04-02-2010, 02:28 PM
Don't agree with McGhee's statement surprisingly.

Keane has enjoyed a decent career and is certainly a fine player. An international class player he's hardly a world-beater. He's not had a proper spell at a top top club and has only won the English LC and played in one WC.

He's at a prime age but so were Best and Gazza, for example. He's not played enough or done enough in the last year for people to say he's in prime form.

Bellamy and Roy Keane were big signings in recent years. To think of some of the star names we've brought to our club alone down the years - Best, Archibald, Wilkins, Sauzee - its a very presumptious statement.

OxoHibby
04-02-2010, 02:32 PM

:thumbsup:

Best might have been past his best but still the biggest star.

Most people still know who he is even if they weren't born.

Magoo does talk som pash to even compare Keane and Best (or gascoigne) in terms of stardom

hibsbollah
04-02-2010, 02:32 PM
It says biggest star not best player at their time of coming to Scotland
NO CONTEST BEST will alawys be the biggest star

"keep the faith":wink:

If you're not old enough you cant really understand what the whole Georgie Best thing was like. He was the first football superstar, a total household name, the only player in the last 20 years who comes close is Beckham.

Regardless of how good he actually was on the pitch, Best was the biggest star to play in Scotland without a shadow of doubt, probably Dalglish second.

rightwinger
04-02-2010, 02:42 PM
If you're not old enough you cant really understand what the whole Georgie Best thing was like. He was the first football superstar, a total household name, the only player in the last 20 years who comes close is Beckham.

Regardless of how good he actually was on the pitch, Best was the biggest star to play in Scotland without a shadow of doubt, probably Dalglish second.

I wasn't around then but when has any player every quadrupled the attendance for a Hibs v Partick match?!

Says it all really. As a journo recalled on the Football Years the other week, this made back-page headlines south of the border.

Quadruple attendance for Hibs v Partick match and get Hibs on back-page of English papers. Sorry Robbie, second best again son!

--------
04-02-2010, 02:51 PM
This is all about McGhump keeping in with "the Bhoys" so's he'll be first in the queue when Mowbray gets the bullet.

And nothing else.

--------
04-02-2010, 02:54 PM

Absolutely correct.

Keane's a good player, but nowhere near what McGhump's making him out to be.

(See my last post - Murky McGhump wants to hang his jacket on Tony Mowbray's shoogly coat-peg.)

killie-hibby
04-02-2010, 03:10 PM
Our own Joe Baker overshadows Keane in status,ability,achievement and personality.

norhfc
04-02-2010, 03:13 PM
Steve Archiebald was a huge star and showed it playing in a very average Hibs team.........:thumbsup:

wee hay
04-02-2010, 03:50 PM
Bellamy destroyed the spl when he came on loan

seanraff07
04-02-2010, 03:53 PM
Bellamy destroyed the spl when he came on loan

Thing is Bellamy was always going to be miles ahead of everyone in the SPL for his pace which proved a big advantage, Keane isn't much quicker than anyone else, but i rate Bellamy a lot higher and don't think Keane will do as well.

Dashing Bob S
04-02-2010, 08:57 PM
Comparing Robbie Keane to George Best is rather like comparing the pish of a jakey in advanced kidney failure to a chilled glass of Dom Perignon 2000 Vintage Champagne.

PeterboroHibee
04-02-2010, 09:23 PM
But it's worth pointing out to McGhump that FourFourTwo magazine has a list of the top 50 UK-based strikers since the war, and at Number One in THEIR list is one KENNY DALGLISH....

He was from Celtic though. While I disagree with what McGoo says, he is talking about players who have come into Scotland in terms of being the biggest signing!

jacomo
04-02-2010, 09:32 PM
Is McGoo the biggest erse to ever manage a Scottish football team?

PeterboroHibee
04-02-2010, 09:44 PM
Is McGoo the biggest erse to ever manage a Scottish football team?

Yep. He seems to have an opinion on absolutely everthing, no matter if it has nothing to do with Aberdeen, and more often than not he speaks absolute crap.

Not complaining though, hes done it twice already before games with us and Im sure its given Yogi something to get the team even more fired up.

joe breezy
04-02-2010, 10:48 PM
Loady pish, although I see what he's getting it if he is solely saying biggest signing. Keane was finished when he went to Celtic our young players ran rings round him, and George Best was a far bigger star but Gascoigne too trumps Keane, and of course Sauzee was a total star who really did the business for years in Scotland not just a one season cameo performance.

Dashing Bob S
04-02-2010, 11:34 PM
To be fair to M McG, he meant the band Keane, but he was still wrong.

marleyhib
04-02-2010, 11:45 PM
I'll raise you "Roy" Keane

Tho he was very, very past it at the time

rainman
05-02-2010, 08:59 AM
The more i hear from McGhee, the more I honestly think he is off his heid!

The stuff he comes out with is f***ing ridiculous.

Hibercelona
05-02-2010, 09:10 AM
Its clear that Mcghee is just trying to bum up Celtic as much as his "Wee Willie Winkie" can.

With Mowbray being on a wobbly ship, its obvious that he personally believes he's in for a shout.

The most cockiest, arrogant, despicable fud in Scotland.

He's almost a yam. :jamboak:

Jim44
05-02-2010, 09:11 AM
McGhee's problem is that he's stuck away in a place up north where he doesn't really want to be and not really interested enough to talk about his own/and club's situation. I laughed at JH's comment that he wouldn't say what McGhee said to him in a conversation after Gow was taken from under his nose. :greengrin

Phil D. Rolls
05-02-2010, 01:31 PM
I love McGhee, he's an ass, hee-haw hee-haw hee always get's it wrong.:greengrin

dennykillie
05-02-2010, 04:43 PM
If you are talking about "star quality", then George Best is without doubt the biggest star ever to play in Scotland.

I seem to remember being at a Hibs-Killie Cup game when he was introduced as a new signing.

How many did he put on the next home gate against Plastic Whistle?

Joe Baker II
05-02-2010, 04:55 PM
Arguably it was Jimmy Johnstone, given he was the only player to feature in top 3 of European Player of the Year while playing in Scottish League. And unlike Best he played in 2 European cup finals.

KeithTheHibby
05-02-2010, 05:35 PM
Ever since Magoo has taken over in Sheepland his dickhead status has risen dramatically.

Robbie Keane, here today gone tomorrow.

Bigger names for example are Paul Gascoigne and Brian Laudrup.
These guys were international superstars and could even fit into the 'world class' bracket.

Robbie Keane? No bigger a name than Craig Bellend if you ask me.

CRAZYHIBBY
05-02-2010, 05:48 PM
is that rino gatuse not worth something like £15 million

whiskyhibby
05-02-2010, 06:03 PM
Surely it's pie muncher Nade???