PDA

View Full Version : Question whats the story/history behind the "crown" Hibs badge?

Ritchie
04-02-2010, 11:10 AM
the club badge on this strip???

http://www.classicfootballshirts.co.uk/images/thumb_medium/Hibernian-87-Home-USE.jpg

PatHead
04-02-2010, 01:00 PM
If I recollect the badge had to be scrapped as someone complained we could not have a crown on it without approval from the court (Lord Lyons?) and badge was therefore dropped. Bet you some Jambo bassa had a wee play with themselves about that good job,

nickwhibs
04-02-2010, 01:02 PM
Not related to the question but that is a cool strip

Aubenas
04-02-2010, 01:23 PM
It's a copy of Real Madrid's badge adopted after we gubbed them in the 60s. Lord Lion bumped it cos it infringed use of the crown. I was delighted cos I'm republican and I hate the fascist connections of Real Madrid!:greengrin:agree:

Bayern Bru
04-02-2010, 01:35 PM
It's a copy of Real Madrid's badge adopted after we gubbed them in the 60s. Lord Lion bumped it cos it infringed use of the crown. I was delighted cos I'm republican and I hate the fascist connections of Real Madrid!:greengrin:agree:

Presumably as a GIRUY statement?

Bristolhibby
04-02-2010, 01:47 PM
I have a a white away version of this shirt, with P&D windows as sponsors.

It is a size XL. Unfortunately XL in the 80's is about the same as a small/medium in todays shirts.

Net result, is that I would have to lose alot of weight in order to wear it.

Still a cool shirt though.

J

Ritchie
04-02-2010, 01:50 PM
cheers guys.

i heard it got scrapped but wasnt sure why.

Kato
04-02-2010, 01:54 PM

Someone said it was Tommy Younger's idea to copy that badge. Dunno if it's true or not.

HibbiesandtheBaddies
04-02-2010, 02:50 PM
Someone said it was Tommy Younger's idea to copy that badge. Dunno if it's true or not.

Tommy Youngers wife?

greenginger
04-02-2010, 03:13 PM
It was an updated version of the existing badge from the 60's/70's which had an old laced and panelled ball at the centre which was meant to represent the Thistle.Absolutely nothing to do with Real Madrid.

The badge could have been kept with a simple letter from the Club to the Lord Lyon asking for permission to use the Crown in the design.

Duff and Grey preferred the beer-bottle label for a club badge.

SmithyHibee
04-02-2010, 03:44 PM
It was an updated version of the existing badge from the 60's/70's which had an old laced and panelled ball at the centre which was meant to represent the Thistle.Absolutely nothing to do with Real Madrid.

The badge could have been kept with a simple letter from the Club to the Lord Lyon asking for permission to use the Crown in the design.

Duff and Grey preferred the beer-bottle label for a club badge.

Anyone have a decent sized photo of this or the one on that top?

greenginger
04-02-2010, 04:00 PM
Anyone have a decent sized photo of this or the one on that top?

There used to be a large wooden copy of the badge in the Supporters Club at Sunnyside.

linlithgowhibbie
04-02-2010, 05:14 PM
Still is on show in the clubrooms

Aubenas
04-02-2010, 11:57 PM

As it was used in the 70s, difficult to be an updated version of the 70s. And you only need to look at the R Madrid badge to see the similarity,:confused:

Keith_M
05-02-2010, 09:57 AM
As it was used in the 70s, difficult to be an updated version of the 70s.

Nope, the one in the photo is indeed an 80's, updated version of the 70's badge. The 70's one was two coloured with an older style ball.

FWIW, I actually liked the first version of the 'crown' badge.

It always seemed ironic, to say the least, that the same fans on the main terrace that were singing Republican songs had a badge with a crown on their scarves.

:greengrin

Aubenas
05-02-2010, 11:42 AM
Ah - got you. memory fading with advanced years!
GGTTH :thumbsup:

.Sean.
05-02-2010, 02:12 PM
I have a a white away version of this shirt, with P&D windows as sponsors.

It is a size XL. Unfortunately XL in the 80's is about the same as a small/medium in todays shirts.

Net result, is that I would have to lose alot of weight in order to wear it.

Still a cool shirt though.

J
What would happen if there was a huge big fatty in the 80s that would need an XXL? Just have to go without aye? :devil:

As for the badge, smart as :cool2:

p=sh
05-02-2010, 07:48 PM
What would happen if there was a huge big fatty in the 80s that would need an XXL?

there were no fat people in the 80s.

We had weird hair though.

Iggy Pope
05-02-2010, 10:23 PM
there were no fat people in the 80s.

We had weird hair though.

Buster Bloodvessel discounts both these theories....so does Divine!