PDA

View Full Version : Greggs GO'C to come back in the summer????

cockneymike
04-02-2010, 11:07 AM
http://sport.scotsman.com/latest-national-sport/McLeish-planning-squad-overhaul.6043083.jp

GO'C is out of contract in the summer. If, and it is a big if, we had a CL campaign to look forward to; do you think we could tempt him? He's got that big house out in E. Lothian just along the road from the training ground.

GOC and Deeks back up top for the Hibees, what about it?

Or am i just getting a bit too carried away, with everything that's happend this week? :greengrin

Bad Martini
04-02-2010, 11:09 AM
Am no convinced we need the big felly back. No offence and I always thought he was a good player for us but I don't see a need for GOC as it stands....

HibbyScott
04-02-2010, 11:09 AM
http://sport.scotsman.com/latest-national-sport/McLeish-planning-squad-overhaul.6043083.jp

GO'C is out of contract in the summer. If, and it is a big if, we had a CL campaign to look forward to; do you think we could tempt him? He's got that big house out in E. Lothian just along the road from the training ground.

Or am i just getting a bit too carried away, with everything that's happend this week? :greengrin

I think I'd possibly fall off of my seat in shock, and spend the next however long with the worlds biggest smile on my face :greengrin

JoeT
04-02-2010, 11:10 AM
Might be about 20,000 reasons every week why this couldn't happen

Woody1985
04-02-2010, 11:11 AM

If we made the CL, the campaign would most likely be two games. I think we'd go into the second phase which usually has some good teams.

Personally, if we can get 3rd, we've got two games against opposition that we might have a chance of beating over two legs to get into the Europa groups. That would get more money in and a couple of home games.

Tinyclothes
04-02-2010, 11:11 AM
Did he not leave because of alleged problems with the white stuff? Not sure he'd be up for coming back up here if he has a few demons lying in wait.

I'd love to have him back though.

ballengeich
04-02-2010, 11:13 AM
Am no convinced we need the big felly back. No offence and I always thought he was a good player for us but I don't see a need for GOC as it stands....

Could be different if Stokes moves on during the summer, but GOC's current wage is way above what we can pay.

Part/Time Supporter
04-02-2010, 11:13 AM
If we made the CL, the campaign would most likely be two games. I think we'd go into the second phase which usually has some good teams.

Personally, if we can get 3rd, we've got two games against opposition that we might have a chance of beating over two legs to get into the Europa groups. That would get more money in and a couple of home games.

There's a parachute to the Europa League from both of the last two qualifying rounds for the CL. The team that beat Hearts in the EL this year was beaten in the CL qualifiers. see here (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of_NK_Dinamo_Zagreb_%282000%E2%80%93presen t%29#Results_2)

Part/Time Supporter
04-02-2010, 11:16 AM
Could be different if Stokes moves on during the summer, but GOC's current wage is way above what we can pay.

He won't get the same wage again, too many injury problems / lack of success at PL level. He's scored 9 goals in 20 starts (mostly in the Championship) for Birmingham in 2.5 years. I would have thought it most likely that he would sign for a Championship team, but even for a club on that level GOC would be a risk.

Woody1985
04-02-2010, 11:16 AM
There's a parachute to the Europa League from both of the last two qualifying rounds for the CL. The team that beat Hearts in the EL this year was beaten in the CL qualifiers. see here (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of_NK_Dinamo_Zagreb_%282000%E2%80%93presen t%29#Results_2)

I thought it was only the 3rd phase or did that change with the Europa League set up?

That link you've sent shows them going out in the 3rd qualifying phase.

I thought that we were only getting the 2nd place team into the 2 QP next year?

seanraff07
04-02-2010, 11:17 AM
Would be brilliant to get him, but highly unlikely.
I wouldn't really see the need to sign him though if we kept Stokes beyond the summer, yet i'd still be delighted if he were to come back.
Another brilliant player being wasted at Birmingham who i've thought for at least the last year now we could re-sign possibly, David Murphy?

Bad Martini
04-02-2010, 11:20 AM
...thought for at least the last year now we could re-sign possibly, David Murphy?

Now that would be far more influential IMHO....he was a great player for us. :agree:

Part/Time Supporter
04-02-2010, 11:21 AM
I thought it was only the 3rd phase or did that change with the Europa League set up?

It was renumbered after the rejig. Round 4 is the final qualifying round.

http://www.xs4all.nl/~kassiesa/bert/uefa/access2010.html

Andy74
04-02-2010, 11:24 AM
Might be about 20,000 reasons every week why this couldn't happen

I would think Liam Miller was making more money in his time in the EPL. Who is going to give him that now?

He's also made a lot of money in Russia so he may just feel the need to come home and play football again?

seanraff07
Now that would be far more influential IMHO....he was a great player for us. :agree:

Also by the time summer comes, we might require him more than O'Connor, if Bamba goes and we can get Murray on a new contract, Murray could shift into CB allowing Murphy to play LB.
I'm sure this won't happen but it would be great if it did.:greengrin

Woody1985
It was renumbered after the rejig. Round 4 is the final qualifying round.

http://www.xs4all.nl/~kassiesa/bert/uefa/access2010.html

****ing Platini :grr::grr::grr:

johnrebus
04-02-2010, 11:26 AM
Champions League ?

Christ. Here we go already.........., :bitchy:

We are doing well, but this is Hibs remember?

We are still behind Celtic - a club who have just spent millions in an attempt to catch up with a Rangers team twelve points ahead of ourselves. I hope we can finish third, but second? No chance.

I suppose the Scottish Cup is already in the bag too?

:rolleyes:

BSEJVT
04-02-2010, 11:26 AM
I loved GO'C as a hibs player but financial reasons apart he is far too injury prone to take a chance on now IMO

MacBean
04-02-2010, 11:28 AM

you are correct Woody!

Rangers got put out of the CL by Hearts II in stage 2 last year and did not parachute to the Europa League / UEFA Cup. The same would have happend this year if Celtic didnt win the second leg of thier in Russia(?).

So we would need to get thru one round of the CL qualifiers to then fall back onto the Europa League group stages / miraculously make the CL group stages.

Whether we finished 2nd/3rd we would need to play at LEAST one round to get into the group stages.

Littlest Hobo
04-02-2010, 11:28 AM
Did he not leave because of alleged problems with the white stuff? Not sure he'd be up for coming back up here if he has a few demons lying in wait.

I'd love to have him back though.

Aye the snow in russia is very deep right enough!:faf:

RoslinInstHibby
04-02-2010, 11:29 AM
would defo take him back, don't think wages would be an issue, the guy is loaded, even by most premier league standards, he made a fortune in Russia.

KerPlunk
04-02-2010, 11:30 AM
Champions League ?

We are still behind Celtic - a club who have just spent millions in an attempt to catch up with a Rangers team twelve points ahead of ourselves. I hope we can finish third, but second? No chance.

What the late, lamented DI said.

Sometimes I get the impression that a few posters on here have spent too long over on *14pointsback*.

:devil:

Part/Time Supporter
04-02-2010, 11:34 AM
Would be brilliant to get him, but highly unlikely.
I wouldn't really see the need to sign him though if we kept Stokes beyond the summer, yet i'd still be delighted if he were to come back.
Another brilliant player being wasted at Birmingham who i've thought for at least the last year now we could re-sign possibly, David Murphy?

Under contract until 2011 (http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-508756/Birmingham-land-Murphy.html)

serious kneecap injury (http://www.birminghammail.net/birmingham-sport/birmingham-city-fc/birmingham-city-fc-news/2009/11/20/birmingham-city-david-murphy-suffers-injury-setback-97319-25214213/)

Part/Time Supporter
04-02-2010, 11:36 AM
you are correct Woody!

Rangers got put out of the CL by Hearts II in stage 2 last year and did not parachute to the Europa League / UEFA Cup.

System was rejigged last season, with champions path / non-champions path in CL qualifying and the EL replacing UEFA Cup.

The same would have happend this year if Celtic didnt win the second leg of thier in Russia(?).

No, it wouldn't have.

ballengeich
04-02-2010, 11:37 AM
you are correct Woody!

Rangers got put out of the CL by Hearts II in stage 2 last year and did not parachute to the Europa League / UEFA Cup. The same would have happend this year if Celtic didnt win the second leg of thier in Russia(?).

So we would need to get thru one round of the CL qualifiers to then fall back onto the Europa League group stages / miraculously make the CL group stages.

Whether we finished 2nd/3rd we would need to play at LEAST one round to get into the group stages.

That's not the case. The system changed this season and Dinamo Moscow went into the final Europa League qualifying round after Celtic defeated them, as Celtic would have done had the result gone the other way.

Part/Time Supporter
04-02-2010, 11:38 AM
Champions League ?

Always worth knowing the facts, in case folk start spouting pish like "I'd rather finish 3rd than 2nd anyway, cos of the European system" or somesuch.

:greengrin

Part/Time Supporter
04-02-2010, 11:40 AM
That's not the case. The system changed this season and Dinamo Moscow went into the final Europa League qualifying round after Celtic defeated them, as Celtic would have done had the result gone the other way.

:agree:

beaten 2-1 by Celtic in CL qualifying (http://www.uefa.com/footballeurope/club=52704/competition=1/index.html)

dropped into EL qualifying and were beaten 2-1 by CSKA Sofia (http://www.uefa.com/footballeurope/club=52704/competition=14/index.html)

seanraff07
04-02-2010, 11:43 AM
Under contract until 2011 (http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-508756/Birmingham-land-Murphy.html)

serious kneecap injury (http://www.birminghammail.net/birmingham-sport/birmingham-city-fc/birmingham-city-fc-news/2009/11/20/birmingham-city-david-murphy-suffers-injury-setback-97319-25214213/)

Ah that's fine then we'll just sign him for free once he's back to full fitness in a few years when his contract has expired anyway and Murray is too old.:rolleyes:

NORTHERNHIBBY
04-02-2010, 11:46 AM
If GOC is not good enough for the EPL, he is certainly good enough for the Championship at the money on offer there [ just now anyway] is still far too good for us. Many of the teams in that league are no better, and have smaller fanbases but the TV money dictates.

cockneymike
04-02-2010, 11:48 AM
Champions League ?

I totally agree with you, and I did preface my remarks by sayin 'big if'; I think our realistic chances of getting 2nd and GOC coming back are somewhere between none and that of a snowball in H*ll; but if we can't dream now, when can we ever?

And let's be honest, who on earth would have thought we'd have signed Miller and Stokes in July? :greengrin

Leith Green
04-02-2010, 12:08 PM
I think O'Connor will end up at Celtic this summer ..

Nakedmanoncrack
04-02-2010, 12:14 PM
I think O'Connor will end up at Celtic this summer ..

Would not be a surprise.:agree:

ano hibby
04-02-2010, 12:26 PM
Champions League ?

Agree 100%
Champions League yer having a laff. We just beat St Mirren with a last minute OG.

The_Todd
04-02-2010, 12:34 PM
His wage demands will still outstrip anything we could offer, same goes for all non OF Clubs.

KWJ
04-02-2010, 12:36 PM
Can't believe some would pass up on the chance to have Gaz back :confused: Did more than Riordan for us IMO, scored the goals and set them up. Fantastic player. Injuries might be a concern but I'm not too fussed, if Gaz feels he's up for it then great. Sure he wouldn't screw us over. He might fancy the old boys brigade and want to give Hibs possibly his best years.

If there's any chance we've got to go for it IMO.

But yes, more likely he'll end up at Celtic unfortunately.

IWasThere2016
04-02-2010, 12:37 PM
I would think Liam Miller was making more money in his time in the EPL. Who is going to give him that now?

He's also made a lot of money in Russia so he may just feel the need to come home and play football again?

My thoughts exactly - and how good would that be!!! :thumbsup:

KWJ
04-02-2010, 12:43 PM
------------Smith------------

KM----Hoggy-----Bamba----Murray

DW--Miller---McBride---Riordan

-----Gaz-------Stokes

That could be a OF challenging side for sure.

Don't laugh at Hogg ;) paper for paper, not much in it between that and the huns.

Cocaine&Caviar
04-02-2010, 12:47 PM
Rangers will be looking for Free Transfers in the Summer, and with the possibility of Boyd leaving, O'Connor could do well for them...

RoslinInstHibby
04-02-2010, 01:20 PM
Can't believe some would pass up on the chance to have Gaz back :confused: Did more than Riordan for us IMO, scored the goals and set them up. Fantastic player. Injuries might be a concern but I'm not too fussed, if Gaz feels he's up for it then great. Sure he wouldn't screw us over. He might fancy the old boys brigade and want to give Hibs possibly his best years.

If there's any chance we've got to go for it IMO.

But yes, more likely he'll end up at Celtic unfortunately.

spot on, Garry O was a great player for us, would have him in the 1st 11 no bother in place of Nish

Hibbie_Cameron
04-02-2010, 03:41 PM
He has said he wants to come back to hibs before he retires and as far as i know he has more than one house in East Lothian.

I dont think money would bother him that much either

.Sean.
04-02-2010, 04:19 PM
He has said he wants to come back to hibs before he retires and as far as i know he has more than one house in East Lothian.

I dont think money would bother him that much either
He had a big house near my Gran in Haddy, i'm pretty sure that he sold it.

As for him coming back, i'd love to see it happen. The club means alot to him, I used to see him quite a bit out and about, really nice guy who as far as i'm aware has no 'issues' with 'the white stuff' as a previous poster suggested. He's far from a 'loudmouth' or 'big headed' as i've heard him called aswell, he actully seems pretty level-headed considering.

Didn't he say in an interview he'd never sign for Rangers or Hearts as he 'hated them' :faf: I think it was an interview not long after his move to Russia. He did support Celtic as a lad but if he was up for coming back to Scotland and Hibs offered to put him on a par with our current top earners I think he'd be ours.

I'd go as far to say he was more influential than Derek Riordan when he played under Mowbray.

Bostonhibby
04-02-2010, 05:03 PM

:agree:Just think what we could do with him back in his old position

whereswallace?
04-02-2010, 05:06 PM
He had a big house near my Gran in Haddy, i'm pretty sure that he sold it.

As for him coming back, i'd love to see it happen. The club means alot to him, I used to see him quite a bit out and about, really nice guy who as far as i'm aware has no 'issues' with 'the white stuff' as a previous poster suggested. He's far from a 'loudmouth' or 'big headed' as i've heard him called aswell, he actully seems pretty level-headed considering.

Didn't he say in an interview he'd never sign for Rangers or Hearts as he 'hated them' :faf: I think it was an interview not long after his move to Russia. He did support Celtic as a lad but if he was up for coming back to Scotland and Hibs offered to put him on a par with our current top earners I think he'd be ours.

I'd go as far to say he was more influential than Derek Riordan when he played under Mowbray.

He did have a lot of trouble here regarding that.I better say allegedly here eh :wink:

.Sean.
04-02-2010, 05:15 PM
He did have a lot of trouble here regarding that.I better say allegedly here eh :wink:
I have heard rumours, they stretch back to his younger days though and don't involve the white stuff.

yekimevol
04-02-2010, 06:16 PM
id never say no to the big man

Hibernating (Im a stoopid yam tramp)
04-02-2010, 06:30 PM
I'd have him back of course, but I think he'll feel he has something to prove in England, probably the Championship.

joe breezy
04-02-2010, 06:33 PM
Champions League ?

The Scottish Cup is definitely in the bag, Hector Nicholl told me so

7Hero
04-02-2010, 07:37 PM
last thing we need is a striker...

and it is a BIG IF mate you are right on that one...

keep the faith
04-02-2010, 09:21 PM
Rangers will be looking for Free Transfers in the Summer, and with the possibility of Boyd leaving, O'Connor could do well for them...

Thats my prediction too. Hope I am wrong though.

hfc rd
04-02-2010, 09:21 PM
Would only take him if Stokesy was to leave.

KWJ
04-02-2010, 09:32 PM
Would only take him if Stokesy was to leave.

Why?

Gows only here on loan til end of season. Benji's most likely to be leaving soon. GOC IMO would be the best striker in our squad if he arrived, including Stokes.

For me our best player in Mogga's season we came 3rd.