PDA

View Full Version : Rangers first goal v Saints, legal or not?

gogse
03-02-2010, 08:08 PM
Rangers player clearly puts both feet down behind the goal line, then lifts one foot to hook ball into net.
Is this legal in the laws of football?
:confused:

Geo_1875
03-02-2010, 08:16 PM
Technically no. He should have re-entered the field of play before becoming legally active.

Prof. Shaggy
03-02-2010, 09:19 PM
Technically no. He should have re-entered the field of play before becoming legally active.

Don't think so. A player taking a shy doesn't need to 're-enter play'.

Alfred E Newman
03-02-2010, 09:22 PM
Surely his foot must have re-entered the field of play to kick the ball into the net. It is impossible to do that from behind the line.

lapsedhibee
03-02-2010, 09:33 PM
Don't think so. A player taking a shy doesn't need to 're-enter play'.

Inswinging corners start with both feet behind the goal line, and one foot entering the field of play to hook the ball goalwards.

Pretty Boy
03-02-2010, 09:37 PM
He wasn't told to leave the field nor did he intentionally leave the field therefore he has no reason to wait to be allowed to re-enter play.

It's the same if a player slides off the park with a sliding tackle or crosses the ball and his momentum carries him over the goal line, they don't have to be waved back on and this is no different. He accidentally stepped off the park and reacted quicker than the defenders, perfectly good goal.

CropleyWasGod
03-02-2010, 09:37 PM
IMO, the shy and corner kick things are irrelevant. The game is dead until the kick or throw is taken, at which point the player is on the park.

As for the Davis thing, I think "intent" is the important thing. He clearly didn't intend to run over the line; it was his momentum. However, if he had deliberately done it... eg to avoid being offside.. and then run back in to the park, that's a booking I believe.

Hibs7
04-02-2010, 09:01 AM
Fact is the standing foot was outside the line there fore he was off the feild of play and the goal should have been disallowed, but hey this is Rangers. :grr:

Steve20
04-02-2010, 09:17 AM
The old firm get enough decisions giving to them, but this one was fine. It was a goal.

Twa Cairpets
04-02-2010, 09:24 AM
Fact is the standing foot was outside the line there fore he was off the feild of play and the goal should have been disallowed, but hey this is Rangers. :grr:

Sorry, but that is irrelevant. Not in the laws of the game anywhere.

Foreverhibs has summed it uo perfectly above.

'Mon the Hibs
04-02-2010, 09:26 AM
What if a player is dribbling the ball down the touch line and steps off the field of play and back on. Or if the ball is running out of play and he stops it on the line and his momentum carries him off the field of play then he turns and continues playing the ball whilst his body is initially off the field of play.

Difficult to explain :greengrin

As long as the ball is in play, then it shouldn't matter. Its not like rugby where the player carrying the ball would be out of play if his body went outside the field of play.

Therefore, I believe the goal was rightly given

supershotmo
04-02-2010, 10:33 AM
Not caring.

I had £5 on him for anytime scorer @ 11/2.

Killiehibbie
04-02-2010, 02:40 PM
What if a player is dribbling the ball down the touch line and steps off the field of play and back on. Or if the ball is running out of play and he stops it on the line and his momentum carries him off the field of play then he turns and continues playing the ball whilst his body is initially off the field of play.

Difficult to explain :greengrin

As long as the ball is in play, then it shouldn't matter. Its not like rugby where the player carrying the ball would be out of play if his body went outside the field of play.

Therefore, I believe the goal was rightly given
:agree:
That's my understanding of it.

Hibee_Rab
04-02-2010, 03:05 PM
A players automatically offside if they leave the field of play, but since he wasn't off the field of play when the shot which the keeper saved into him was hit I think it was a legal goal.