PDA

View Full Version : NHC Robbie and Roy Keane: Not actually Celtic fans?

Alicky Ranks
03-02-2010, 06:57 PM
Scroll down to the second article in this piece:

http://thescotsman.scotsman.com/sport/Tom-English-39Until-the-end.6037010.jp (http://thescotsman.scotsman.com/sport/Tom-English-39Until-the-end.6037010.jp)

Sorry if this has already been raised, but it puzzled me when I heard Redknapp saying Robbie Keane was a Celtic fan because I was sure when he signed for Liverpool he talked about being a lifelong Red. More myth-making the Celtic hordes I guess. Pathetic.

truehibernian
03-02-2010, 07:14 PM
Not really. It was kind of customary when I was at primary school (and into football), to have a Scottish and an English team to support. Hibs and Liverpool for me (cos Liverpool were awesome at the time, and my old man and his dad were Hibees :thumbsup:). Something went a wee bit wrong cos I ended up liking West Ham after a while and they were lilian gish.

Jim44
03-02-2010, 07:24 PM
Tom English, in the Scotsman this morning, makes this point about Robbie Keane. He also has a nice wee go at Mowbray and Celtic.

Phil D. Rolls
03-02-2010, 07:35 PM
You would think that Robbie just made this up to cash in on the Oirish element at Parkhead!

Carheenlea
03-02-2010, 07:35 PM
I think Tom English gets it spot-on regarding the true level of support for Celtic in the Irish Republic (more so in other articles than this one). I have been travelling back and forward to Galway on a frequent basis for about 4 years and can honestly say I can count on one hand the number of Celtic strips / tracksuit tops etc being worn. I know you don`t need to be adorned from head to toe in club colours to confirm your allegiance to a team, but the fact that there are loads and loads of guys sporting Manchester United, Liverpool, Arsenal and Chelsea gear kind of suggests what teams the average Irishman follows.

Pubs heaving for premiership games, just a spattering for Celtic/SPL games. May well be different in other parts of Ireland, I`m only going by where I know, but Tom English is probably correct when he says Irishmen have a "soft spot" and "look out for the score" when it comes to Celtic, and they put their emotions behind your Man U`s, Liverpool and the likes.

mayo hibee
03-02-2010, 08:06 PM
I think Tom English gets it spot-on regarding the true level of support for Celtic in the Irish Republic (more so in other articles than this one). I have been travelling back and forward to Galway on a frequent basis for about 4 years and can honestly say I can count on one hand the number of Celtic strips / tracksuit tops etc being worn. I know you don`t need to be adorned from head to toe in club colours to confirm your allegiance to a team, but the fact that there are loads and loads of guys sporting Manchester United, Liverpool, Arsenal and Chelsea gear kind of suggests what teams the average Irishman follows.

Pubs heaving for premiership games, just a spattering for Celtic/SPL games. May well be different in other parts of Ireland, I`m only going by where I know, but Tom English is probably correct when he says Irishmen have a "soft spot" and "look out for the score" when it comes to Celtic, and they put their emotions behind your Man U`s, Liverpool and the likes.

With the exception of Donegal (which has a historical connection with Glasgow) and the other border counties you're bang on. Most football fans in Ireland couldn't give a toss about Celtic and see Keane's move up here as a bad one from an Irish perspective.

TRC
03-02-2010, 08:26 PM
This all goes back to dicanio saying he had dreampt of pulling on smeltiks strip since he was a wee boy growing up in the back streets of milan:faf:
and that all the kids aspire to this in italy. Nearly as good as propaganda from the yams about debt not being an issue!!

NORTHERNHIBBY
03-02-2010, 09:15 PM
Robbie Keane is just a well paid hired hand, and Roy Keane is the president of Iran.