PDA

View Full Version : Montrose

Dashing Bob S
03-02-2010, 06:42 PM
Can't help feeling that this is a potential banana skin.

TRC
03-02-2010, 06:52 PM
Goes without saying, but Hughes won't let them underestimate them. Can you imagine his desire to win that cup from Hughes

KWJ
03-02-2010, 06:56 PM
not a chance we won't win this game. comfortably too I might add.

joe breezy
03-02-2010, 06:58 PM
I'm really looking forward to it, I got a ticket with my Hibs membership so decided to venture north, can't afford the Hun game too so that match will be watched in Quinns but always good to get to Easter Road.

I won't be surprised if we underperform but would be surprised if we get knocked out

noseyhibby
03-02-2010, 06:59 PM

This Sir, is the understatement of the week so far.
After the last round and just "seeing off" the so-called minnows from Ayrshire, I certainly take nothing for granted, not when it comes to Hibs and the Scottish Cup.

Mag7
03-02-2010, 07:04 PM
We SHOULD win comfortably, but there can be no room for complaceny. Any slip-up would ruin what has been a fantastic fortnight for Edinburgh football. A win on the other hand would round it all off nicely.

Jim44
03-02-2010, 07:08 PM
Montrose are a poor team and, even as a generally half pint empty sort, I am totally confident that we will take a barrowload off them.

Diclonius
03-02-2010, 07:12 PM
SFL, you're having a laugh. :singing:

HibbyAndy
03-02-2010, 07:13 PM
:greengrin

Sas_The_Hibby
03-02-2010, 07:26 PM
This will probably come back to haunt me :rolleyes: but I think it's likely Irvine Meadow are a better side than Montrose. In theory Montrose are a couple of notches up from a Junior side but, in reality several Junior sides are likely to be better than the bottom side in the SFL. Remember Division 3 clubs never get relegated they just get recycled, however bad they are.

I saw Montrose beat Edinburgh City at Meadowbank and they looked extremely poor.

Yes we COULD lose to them but even a pessimistic Hibby like me finds it hard to believe that will happen.

Think I'll now put a tenner on Montrose, just to make sure. :wink:

lucky
03-02-2010, 07:27 PM
We will hammer without a doubt. They will a lot worse than Irvine Meadow. They hav won league game all season. We will by at least 5

SouthamptonHibs
03-02-2010, 07:30 PM
Think we'll win by a few they have Andy McNeil in goals, we have stokes, Deek, Nish etc we could score a few. McNeil wasn't SPL class, im sure Deeks and co no all his weak spots (mainly all areas between the posts).

but it is the SC over the years we've been punted out by nearly every team in our football league set up. But ca't see it happening this time aroud

I predict 6 nil:thumbsup:

basehibby
03-02-2010, 07:34 PM

I don't agree Bob - Montrose are the worst team in the SFL - which makes them a sight worse than Irvine Meadow IMO. I reckon our reserves would horse them handsomely - not that Yogi will take that chance, knowing as he does how much the Scottish Cup means to us all. Would not be surprised to see a few get a run out though - eg. McCann, Byrne, Stevenson, Cregg.

Sas_The_Hibby
03-02-2010, 07:38 PM
I don't agree Bob - Montrose are the worst team in the SFL - which makes them a sight worse than Irvine Meadow IMO. I reckon our reserves would horse them handsomely - not that Yogi will take that chance, knowing as he does how much the Scottish Cup means to us all. Would not be surprised to see a few get a run out though - eg. McCann, Byrne, Stevenson, Cregg..........

.......Tom, Dick, Harry, Paddy McGinty's Goat.............. :greengrin

Hibby Bairn
03-02-2010, 07:50 PM
This Sir, is the understatement of the week so far.
After the last round and just "seeing off" the so-called minnows from Ayrshire, I certainly take nothing for granted, not when it comes to Hibs and the Scottish Cup.

Anyone know the latest odds for the game/first goalscorer! :)

NORTHERNHIBBY
03-02-2010, 09:21 PM
Ninety minutes of shootie-in. Right now I would swap the tie for a day out at Links Park on the drastic plastic to give our grass a rest.

Nakedmanoncrack
03-02-2010, 09:22 PM
Comfortable 3-0.

blackpoolhibs
03-02-2010, 09:31 PM
I dont think we will struggle, in fact i think we will pump them, even with a weakened team.

Pretty Boy
03-02-2010, 09:33 PM
I dont think we will struggle, in fact i think we will pump them, even with a weakened team.

:agree: They are a worse team than Irvine Meadow and we beat them without ever starting.

5 or 6 for Hibs on saturday i think.

brythehibby
03-02-2010, 09:33 PM

:agree: Irvine meadow are a better side than montrose. Far better. We played awful that day, and could have scored 5-6 goals. We'll win comfortably and go through i have every confidence of that.

Hibby 2005
03-02-2010, 09:34 PM
Strongest line-up please! This is a Cup we've failed to win for an eternity!

hfc rd
03-02-2010, 10:50 PM
I saw them against Edinburgh City and Montrose were nothing at all great. Edinburgh City played the better football but didn't take any of their chances. Personally from what I have seen from them, I think Irvine Meadow would beat them quite comfortably. But anyway as long as we get the result and play decent passing football, then that will make my day.

Dashing Bob S
03-02-2010, 11:30 PM
So no potential banana skin seems to be the consensus.

Might be nice to have a potential banana skin smilie for use for the Yams. A PBS for the PBS, so to speak.

Gatecrasher
03-02-2010, 11:39 PM
anyone can cause an upset on the day, i think hibs can afford to rest a couple of players but have a strong bench just incase :wink:

Green'nWhite
03-02-2010, 11:49 PM
Surely an easy win...

Montrose's record this season is played twenty won just one, trashing my nine team accumulator in the process.:grr:

basehibby
04-02-2010, 12:26 AM
So no potential banana skin seems to be the consensus.

Might be nice to have a potential banana skin smilie for use for the Yams. A PBS for the PBS, so to speak.

Is a potential banana skin not just a banana sperm :confused:

deek
04-02-2010, 12:27 AM
It's a one off game and they are in the same position as us, that being the 5th round. No complaicency from us and a good win I hope. I would love to see a few goals from different players, but I would take any score so long as it is one more than them.

RMG_82
04-02-2010, 05:00 AM

a good idea to avoid complacency is to bring in 2 or 3 fringe players with a point to prove. Hard work is infectious but so is laziness. I think these players might bring an added spark. I'd like to see Galbraith for 90 mins and maybe Mccormack

As it said on the tunnel at the old love street....

"Hard work beats talent when talent doesnt work hard"

C'mon the hibees. If we reach the final my ticket to Scotland will be getting booked.

GGTTH :greengrin

crewetollhibee
04-02-2010, 07:11 AM
Les Barr anyone ? :boo hoo:

Part/Time Supporter
04-02-2010, 07:15 AM

Montrose beat a Hibs team that had finished 2nd in the league in the preceding seasons (1975) (http://www.thecourier.co.uk/output/2010/02/04/sportstory14492027t0.asp)

Doesn't mention the 9-0, right enough

:wink:

sam armstrong
04-02-2010, 08:20 AM

The singing right back, 65 yard shot over MaArthurs head and it's a goal. Montrose were a decent side then and nearly put Hearts out the cup as well. The current team is not nearly as good but any complacency is sheer madness given our past history.