PDA

View Full Version : Hughes

EasterRoad4Ever
03-02-2010, 05:49 PM
Mogga is under serious pressure to start delivering, and I'm not sure he'll get much more time. If he's sacked, what are the odds the Tims come calling for our Manager ?

Or are they more likely to go for a Euro proven bigger name ???

Or will the weedgie media just have fun with us and tout Hughes for the job anyway ?

SRHibs
03-02-2010, 05:51 PM
I can't see Yogi leaving even if they do come calling tbh. But he definitely will be in the frame if Mogga is sacked imo.

TRC
03-02-2010, 05:55 PM
The've spent all their money anyway. Couldn't afford the compo package

noseyhibby
03-02-2010, 06:00 PM
I can't see Yogi leaving even if they do come calling tbh. But he definitely will be in the frame if Mogga is sacked imo.

I agree with you that Hughes would indeed be in the frame, should such a scenario be presented, and money and operating at a different level will make the Celtic post attractive to Big John. But I'm sure that Celtic will get their act together over the next few weeks and months and clinch second spot. I suspect that the Celtic board have already resigned themselves to Mowbrays re-building and finishing runners-up. So I don't see TM getting sacked anytime soon. He will be given next season to pull it all together. Next seasons results will dictate whether Celtic will come calling for our man.

greenlex
03-02-2010, 06:02 PM
If Mowbray doesnt work out there is no way the Celtic Board will appoint Hughes. It will be a big name manager on a whacking big salary.

Hibercelona
03-02-2010, 06:06 PM
Yogi has far too much pride and passion to desert us for that sorry mob.

When its Yogi's time to move on, it will be in the EPL/Championship.

jacomo
03-02-2010, 06:12 PM
If Mowbray doesnt work out there is no way the Celtic Board will appoint Hughes. It will be a big name manager on a whacking big salary.

Not too sure about that. Which big name manager would want it?

Paul Lambert and our man are both mentioned by Celtc supporters - I would hope, if it came to it, that Hughes would refer to the answer he gave some weeks ago re: Burnley.

jdships
03-02-2010, 06:13 PM
Yogi has far too much pride and passion to desert us for that sorry mob.

When its Yogi's time to move on, it will be in the EPL/Championship.

That , too, would be my take on the situation.
Remember also the Celtic job has become something of a "poisoned chalice"
Only O'Neill of the last handful has made a real job of it

:faf:

HibbyAndy
03-02-2010, 06:14 PM
Even if Man u or Barcelona came calling for Yogi id still be pretty damn confident he'd tell them were to go. He's THAT kinda guy.

:cool2:

Mikey_1875
03-02-2010, 06:27 PM
Hughes has already said that he has the best job in scotland and has also said that he has waited a long time and worked hard to get this job and will atleast be here for the net 3 or 4 years. He will serve his time well omo and then probably move on to the prem in 4 year.

hfc rd
03-02-2010, 10:27 PM
Can't see Yogi doing that. I think Yogi will leave once he has taken us to where he wants us to be. He has already stated that he would one day like to manage in England, not smeltic.

seanraff07
03-02-2010, 10:31 PM
Yogi is a Hibby and knows how much it means to us for a manager to stay at us instead of going for something bigger, and he has already stated before when linked with the Scotland job that he wants to stay at us for at least another 4/5 years.:thumbsup:

Jim44
04-02-2010, 06:29 AM
With all due respect to JH and much to my delight, I think Celtic would consider him too inexperienced to risk at this time. He'll have to do a wee stint down in England or pick up some silverware before he'll be considered. Maybe missing out on the SC this year might not be too gtreat a disappointment for us. :greengrin

Jack
04-02-2010, 07:08 AM
Not just a poison chalice but more and more people are refusing to be associated with them for what they are and stand for.
Wotherspoon came to us for football reasons.
No-one wants to buy the Huns.
The EPL just laughed.
The list goes on.
The point is if Yogi doesn't want tainted he'll leave well alone.

MussyHibby
04-02-2010, 09:34 AM
Yogi already quoted as saying he has the best job in the world!:agree:

ballengeich
04-02-2010, 10:19 AM
Only O'Neill of the last handful has made a real job of it

Actually Strachan had a better record than O'Neill, but he's not "Celtic minded" so the supporters only looked for his faults.

Wilson
04-02-2010, 10:31 AM
Actually Strachan had a better record than O'Neill, but he's not "Celtic minded" so the supporters only looked for his faults.

At last - someone has somethiung good to say about him!

rightwinger
04-02-2010, 01:37 PM
Hughes, like Levein, has always said he wants to manage in the EPL.

When was the last time an OF manager went straight to an EPL club (without a break or other job in between)? I think it was Souness nigh on 20 years ago.

I wouldn't be surprised if Hughes weighed that up if he ever was approached. Celtic would also be wise to learn from their experience with Mowbray - ie just because he played for them in the mid-90's when they won nothing and did well as Hibs boss doesn't mean he's the man for the job.

Personally, I think Celtic will stick with Mowbray for the time-being. If he did leave, Hughes would be on the list but there would be others above him (Coyle's an obvious one, maybe Mick McCarthy as well. Mark Hughes!?)

Exiled Hibby
04-02-2010, 03:54 PM
didnt fat JJ go straight from the big team to Bradford? (I presume he was down there shopping that day)

scoopyboy
04-02-2010, 03:59 PM
My bet would be Paul Lambert.

Republic of Ireland outsiders that may be worth a punt - Roy Keane, David O'Leary, Steve Staunton.

--------
04-02-2010, 04:04 PM
Murky McGhump wants it. :faf:

RIP
04-02-2010, 04:25 PM
I think Peter Lawwell will go for

A Strong Figure
One with more Celtic connections than Mowbray
A candidate to please the 'Tic fans i.e. brought up as a Celtic fan
A former player even?
A relatively young manager who is a bit of a rising star
If possible one with SPL experience

Vini1875
04-02-2010, 05:22 PM
Let's not kid ourselves about Yogi and the celtc job. It has happened way too many times in the past. However in order to appease the celtc support they would be looking for a big name and Euro experience this time around.

For Yogi to be offered the job say at the end of this season he would need to get 2nd above celtc and win the Scottish Cup. If he manages that I think we would forgive him heading west.

Most managers and players would go to the OF if offered the job, because I am sure there is a believe that if they turn them down they will not be offered it a second time.

Personally if celtc come calling then Yogis, I think he would nuts to go there at this stage in his career. I also thought Mowbray was nuts to go there.

Jack
04-02-2010, 05:36 PM
A Strong Figure
A former player even?

You're at it again :grr:

RIP
04-02-2010, 07:52 PM

A Strong Figure
A former player even?

You're at it again :grr:

Whatdya mean big man........even you knew I meant Owen Coyle shirley :wink:

jacomo
04-02-2010, 08:26 PM
Let's not kid ourselves about Yogi and the celtc job. It has happened way too many times in the past. However in order to appease the celtc support they would be looking for a big name and Euro experience this time around.

For Yogi to be offered the job say at the end of this season he would need to get 2nd above celtc and win the Scottish Cup. If he manages that I think we would forgive him heading west.

Most managers and players would go to the OF if offered the job, because I am sure there is a believe that if they turn them down they will not be offered it a second time.

Personally if celtc come calling then Yogis, I think he would nuts to go there at this stage in his career. I also thought Mowbray was nuts to go there.

Nope. If Hughes ever leaves us to go to Celtic, I will be furious.